PDA

View Full Version : ZHP Coupe tail light replacement ???

Bird-Dog
02-17-2015, 01:00 PM
I bought what was advertised as a "direct replacement" outer-left LED tail light on eBay. It turns out it's a Depo and has an "impedance box" add-on.

This is for my son's '04 ZHP coupe which, of course, came stock with LED tails. About half the LED's are burnt out on that side and I thought I was getting "such a deal" at $130, basically expecting an OEM replacement without the BMW stickers (like some other parts sometimes offered independent of BMW by their original suppliers). I feel a little silly now for not asking questions before buying, but the ad included OEM part number (63216920699) which led me to believe it would be an OE match rather than aftermarket retro-fit.

Did I waste my money?
Is there any chance the impedance box is only for replacing non-LED tails and not needed when replacing OE LED's? (maybe a dumb question, but I had to ask - Frankly, I'm not sure if any facelift coupes came with non-LED tails)
Any thoughts on whether it's worth it to ship back to Latvia and eat shipping both ways?
Anybody with Depo tails on a coupe need an Outer-Left? :)

KevinC
02-17-2015, 01:36 PM
I'd demand a refund - providing an OEM part number while not specifically stating that you were buying Depo junk is deceptive, to say the least.

Just bite the bullet and buy OEM. Depo is absolute garbage, they make VW junk too that I've had some past experience with. When it comes to lighting, that's one area where I refuse to be penny wise/pound foolish.

sillieidiot
02-17-2015, 01:58 PM
yeah i would get a refund. the only way to go is OEM, unless you're fine with DEPO that is.

Bird-Dog
02-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks Kevin. Sounds like a plan.

PdZHP
02-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Mine are burnt as well.

Why is it that the OEM driver's side LED tail lights burn out so quick? Most posts I have seen are for the driver's side....

sillieidiot
02-18-2015, 02:34 AM
all i can think of is that the wiring is run on that side and then split over to the passenger side under the plastic piece on the trunk. so maybe spikes/surges hit that side first or something.