PDA

View Full Version : Falken FK-452

wertyu78
02-23-2015, 08:12 PM

It's time to buy & mount a set of new tires on the ZHP. I normally run a street friendly track oriented tire, but I believe this time I will go with a less performance biased tire in favor of not only a more budgeted setup, but for the longevity and practicality. A second set of wheels would come in to play for HPDE's; allowing me to run a faster tire. Win - Win.

With that said, does anyone have any experience with the Falken FK-452? It seems like a great tire for the money - the only beef I found was that it can be on the loud sign when it comes to road noise. It comes in a variety of sizes, including what I like to run - 265/40/17.

sillieidiot
02-24-2015, 02:10 AM
i've had them and they were ok. they start out with a ton of grip (under 10k miles), then it just drops off drastically. they are great as a stretch tire if you're into that sort of thing. but other than that, i wouldn't recommend them for longevity.

slater
02-24-2015, 05:25 AM
i've not been impressed, although i had limited miles on a set. loud and greasy.

check out the bfgoodrich g-force sport comp-2. they don't have a 265/40/17 but they run wide, so a 255 would be pretty meaty. and they're only $118/pop in that size. supposed to be excellent tires for the money...

peter

wertyu78
02-24-2015, 08:01 AM
i've had them and they were ok. they start out with a ton of grip (under 10k miles), then it just drops off drastically. they are great as a stretch tire if you're into that sort of thing. but other than that, i wouldn't recommend them for longevity.

Good info. Thanks. I'm not into the stretch thing, but now I know why it's so popular with the drift scene.

i've not been impressed, although i had limited miles on a set. loud and greasy.

check out the bfgoodrich g-force sport comp-2. they don't have a 265/40/17 but they run wide, so a 255 would be pretty meaty. and they're only $118/pop in that size. supposed to be excellent tires for the money...

peter

Wow, I didn't realize those were so cheap. Probably best bang for buck?

slater
02-24-2015, 08:09 AM
Wow, I didn't realize those were so cheap. Probably best bang for buck?

that's my thinking. check out the user survey results at tirerack.com, as well as their actual test results - these things seem to do really well! and for the price difference compared with something like a michelin PSS - i would be interested to see how they stack up. i'm a huge PSS fan, but with the USD/CAN exchange rate lately - a set of PSS is just that much more expensive.

peter

wertyu78
02-24-2015, 10:48 AM
that's my thinking. check out the user survey results at tirerack.com, as well as their actual test results - these things seem to do really well! and for the price difference compared with something like a michelin PSS - i would be interested to see how they stack up. i'm a huge PSS fan, but with the USD/CAN exchange rate lately - a set of PSS is just that much more expensive.

peter

I'll read into them today. Really wish they ran a 265 though.. darn. I love the PSS but it's steep. Great tire but just doesn't make sense for me. I called my local tire shop at and have the Comp-2 out the door for $658.

slater
02-24-2015, 11:11 AM
I'll read into them today. Really wish they ran a 265 though.. darn. I love the PSS but it's steep. Great tire but just doesn't make sense for me. I called my local tire shop at and have the Comp-2 out the door for $658.

nice, that's installed, with tax? for the 255's? they do run wide. check the tread and sectional widths on tirerack.com.

i think tire rack's price is $472/set before shipping, so that price you got seems about right.

peter

wertyu78
02-24-2015, 12:05 PM
nice, that's installed, with tax? for the 255's? they do run wide. check the tread and sectional widths on tirerack.com.

i think tire rack's price is $472/set before shipping, so that price you got seems about right.

peter

Yeah, but the other tire place down the road will price match the tires, no shipping, but they want to charge $20 a pop to mount. Either way it's in the $600 territory.

Vas
02-24-2015, 02:13 PM
FK452 is the old model. It has now been replaced by the FK453. They are okay but nothing to rave about.

Rather spend the money on something else IMO

wertyu78
03-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Ended up buying NT05's - they were local, a decent price, and I needed tires asap. Oh well.

derbo
03-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Ended up buying NT05's - they were local, a decent price, and I needed tires asap. Oh well.

sad face. find a set of RE71R and then sell the NT05s. :D

wertyu78
03-05-2015, 11:55 AM
sad face. find a set of RE71R and then sell the NT05s. :D

Get the shoreman workers on the job again so we have tires...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk