PDA

View Full Version : Dario S54 Swaps a Sedan

Avetiso
02-27-2015, 09:30 PM
So, for personal reasons, I think I am deciding that the M3 is not for me in the long run. Also, the plummeting prices of ZHPs and the E46 in general has caught my attention and led me to want to do this in the summer, where I will have 4 months off as I transfer from community college to UC Davis to finish off my Pharmaceutical Chemistry degree.

Don't hold your breath, I could still back out of this, but I am pretty set that this is what I want to do.

So, here's the plan:

Gonna go with a salvage or clean title shell, but hopefully clean title. Going to try to get it through auction. I want it to either be Jet Black, Alpine White, Silver Gray, Japan Red, Steel Gray, or Imola (if it's a ZHP, which is unlikely). Shells are dirt cheap right now. I can seriously pick up a clean 325i in the color I want for under $2k to my door and have it be completely intact or only slightly damaged, if not less than $1.5k.

Complete S54 powerplants are also lowering in price. Lot's of SMG convertibles out there. Not looking to pick up an entire donor because I don't really think I need it. If I'm going to be buying the entire drivetrain from a guy I'm sure I could get most of the stuff off that car for less than I'd pay for a donor.

Anyways, would love to keep you guys in the loop on what I'm thinking and where this goes. Only gonna start this in May at the earliest, so nothing soon.

onaquest
02-27-2015, 09:49 PM
What a great idea!

Hermes
02-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Reffed S62 swap, just find an 03 as your shell

I still approve of S54 sedan as a second option

Hermes
02-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Seriously though, why not a S54 touring?

Avetiso
02-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Reffed S62 swap, just find an 03 as your shell

I still approve of S54 sedan as a second option

Not sure I'd want a V8, to be honest. Would be a hell of a swap, though. Don't things become a lot more complicated switching chassis?

derbo
02-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Not sure I'd want a V8, to be honest. Would be a hell of a swap, though. Don't things become a lot more complicated switching chassis?

It's more or the less the same. :)

Hermes
02-27-2015, 10:08 PM

Yes, there are definitely more issues to overcome. Custom motor mount brackets, making all the ancillaries fit, etc.

Avetiso
02-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, there are definitely more issues to overcome. Custom motor mount brackets, making all the ancillaries fit, etc.
Not sure I'd want to deal with that. Would be a hell of a car, though. Might be a little front heavy? How's the weight difference between the S54 and the S62?

Hermes
02-27-2015, 10:10 PM
Not sure I'd want to deal with that. Would be a hell of a car, though. Might be a little front heavy? How's the weight difference between the S54 and the S62?

Like 15lbs, they're both heavy engines

Edit: it's probably closer to 100 with all the ancillaries but a V8 has better weight distribution as it is shorter so it can sit farther back in the engine bay. Less weight will be in front of the axle which is what makes it nose heavy

Avetiso
02-27-2015, 10:21 PM
Like 15lbs, they're both heavy engines

Edit: it's probably closer to 100 with all the ancillaries but a V8 has better weight distribution as it is shorter so it can sit farther back in the engine bay. Less weight will be in front of the axle which is what makes it nose heavy

Yeah... not sure I want to do custom anything with it. Probably beyond me (cost and skill wise) to start fabbing stuff.

slater
02-28-2015, 05:03 AM
awesome.

i'd say, go with the S54. 4 months is, realistically, not a lot of time to complete a project as daunting as the motor/drivetrain swap AND refurbishing the shell how you'd like it.

personally, i would try to find an M3 donor car, and a hardtop to boot - you get the seats (i love mine - with the adjustable bolsters they are amazing), cluster, etc. plus then you get EVERYTHING (thinking rear end, propshaft, etc), for the most part - would make the swap that much easier.

ZHP shell would obviously be best (trim, headliner, bumpers, etc), but that's easy stuff to retrofit (just not cheap - thinking of the gloss shadowline trim).

overall i think it is an awesome project!

personally, i would supercharge an M54 over doing an S54 swap, but that's just me. :)

peter

johnrando
02-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Love it!

Sent from mobile

derbo
02-28-2015, 08:03 AM
awesome.

i'd say, go with the S54. 4 months is, realistically, not a lot of time to complete a project as daunting as the motor/drivetrain swap AND refurbishing the shell how you'd like it.

personally, i would try to find an M3 donor car, and a hardtop to boot - you get the seats (i love mine - with the adjustable bolsters they are amazing), cluster, etc. plus then you get EVERYTHING (thinking rear end, propshaft, etc), for the most part - would make the swap that much easier.

ZHP shell would obviously be best (trim, headliner, bumpers, etc), but that's easy stuff to retrofit (just not cheap - thinking of the gloss shadowline trim).

personally, i would supercharge an M54 over doing an S54 swap, but that's just me. :)

peter

A local here can do the swap in 3 days, if all the parts are available. :)

cakM3
02-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Dario, good luck on your next project! Yeah, the E46 ///M is not for everyone and as you and a few already stated, having 4 doors is nicer. Not many get to keep both a ZHP and an ///M in their stable so I'm very interested in seeing how this new project takes shape! :thumbsup

poke08
02-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Any particular reason to go S54 vs turbo/supercharging the M54? Either way, good luck with the project!

Avetiso
02-28-2015, 11:18 AM
awesome.

peter
I think 4 months is plenty of time, assuming I don't get sidetracked too much. The M3 will be gone, hopefully. Getting a donor would be a lot easier, yes. However, there are increased costs. First of all, think of all the waste. Take out of the S54 stuff and you sell the rest for pennies; but you didn't pay pennies for it. Not only that, much more competition in getting a donor because people are looking for M3's to fix at auctions, too, which drives up the price vs. just buying parts. As far as the ZHP stuff, I don't really care. Hell, I'll drive around on non-sport bumpers and interior if I could get that shell for a great deal and it was clean. Makes little difference to me. The only thing I think I'd REALLY miss from the ZHP besides the M-Tech body kit is the black headliner and the shadowline. As you said; easily rectified.

Dario, good luck on your next project! Yeah, the E46 ///M is not for everyone and as you and a few already stated, having 4 doors is nicer. Not many get to keep both a ZHP and an ///M in their stable so I'm very interested in seeing how this new project takes shape! :thumbsup
Having both would be a blast, Chuck! You've got it good. :thumbsup I miss four door and sedan. I really hope I don't disappoint you guys. :)

Any particular reason to go S54 vs turbo/supercharging the M54? Either way, good luck with the project!
Cost. Even the cheapest turbo/SC kits for the M54 rival the cost of the S54 swap. Not only that, without major engine building, you pretty much max out the powerplant, whereas in the S54, you're just getting started. Plus... S54. The sound. The attitude. It's just not replaceable, regardless of what the stat sheet says.

cakM3
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Having both would be a blast, Chuck! You've got it good. :thumbsup I miss four door and sedan. I really hope I don't disappoint you guys. :)

I know how you feel when you say you miss having four doors. I was there once. I sold my 323i and went with my ///M for a year. As much as I loved driving my ///M full time, I missed the convenience of having two extra doors. You're right, I got it good having both my ZHP (best sedan) and ///M. I can honestly say I'm lucky....

Anyway back on topic.... I am looking forward to updates on your new project Dario....should be fun reading your updates! I'm excited for you!! :thumbsup

ELCID86
02-28-2015, 12:20 PM
We sold Colin's '02 330Ci b/c he wanted rear doors.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

derbo
02-28-2015, 10:04 PM

sent from my phone

Pip
02-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Derek do you know how easy this is to do with a wagon? I know Kalim has done a couple if not more so he is the expert, but don't know how many wagons I've seen.

Random CA question about the swap: does the car get coded with VIN to make it seem like the engine is actually a 325i or do you just file paperwork for the swap? N00b question

derbo
02-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Derek do you know how easy this is to do with a wagon? I know Kalim has done a couple if not more so he is the expert, but don't know how many wagons I've seen.

Random CA question about the swap: does the car get coded with VIN to make it seem like the engine is actually a 325i or do you just file paperwork for the swap? N00b question

Wagon is the same as a sedan. The modules are very similar. I think there maybe a few items that might be different but it's more or less the same as a sedan.

The car will retain its own VIN and you set up a BAR referee inspection to get a new barcode that states the new engine replace and the new emission requirements.

Sent from iPad Mini

UdubBadger
03-01-2015, 08:45 AM
You'll want the back axle and lsd to handle the power so make sure that's part of your swap plans/budget.

GoingHAM mobile

derbo
03-01-2015, 09:08 AM
You'll want the back axle and lsd to handle the power so make sure that's part of your swap plans/budget.

GoingHAM mobile
This is where a donor might be a little easier in regards to finding parts. Rear end swaps are becoming a dime a dozen though.

sent from my phone

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 09:11 AM

GoingHAM mobile

This is where a donor might be a little easier in regards to finding parts. Rear end swaps are becoming a dime a dozen though.

sent from my phone
Yup, this. Rear ends are popping up for $700-$900 all day long here.

derbo
03-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Yea my biggest concerns is replacing the accessories specific to the M3. Radiator, expansion tanj power steering lines/cooler/reservior, hard fuel lines. Those all can be bought new and probably should be but it may be a little of a pain to get.

sent from my phone

UdubBadger
03-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Yea my biggest concerns is replacing the accessories specific to the M3. Radiator, expansion tanj power steering lines/cooler/reservior, hard fuel lines. Those all can be bought new and probably should be but it may be a little of a pain to get.

sent from my phone

Agreed

GoingHAM mobile

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 10:31 AM

sent from my phone

I'm sure there are plenty of M3s around me at junkyards I can go those from. Probably buy some of the rubber stuff new, though.

derbo
03-01-2015, 10:47 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of M3s around me at junkyards I can go those from. Probably buy some of the rubber stuff new, though.

Hopefully! :)

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 12:24 PM
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=18608845&RowNumber=68&loadRecent=True

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=18547126&RowNumber=66&loadRecent=True

Johal E32
03-01-2015, 12:45 PM
IMO get a wrecked E46 M3, swap the front and rear subframe, LSD etc.. all of it over. Makes it easier. You have the cluster, EWS, pedals, whatever you might need, it's there!

And yes, as Derbo pointed out, Kalim does amazing M3 swaps!

ELCID86
03-01-2015, 02:04 PM
https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=18608845&RowNumber=68&loadRecent=True

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=18547126&RowNumber=66&loadRecent=True

I love the IR/on NB but that front end is going to need some work. Only ~115k mi though!

fredo
03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Man, the cube trim on the black car is gone !

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 03:55 PM
IMO get a wrecked E46 M3, swap the front and rear subframe, LSD etc.. all of it over. Makes it easier. You have the cluster, EWS, pedals, whatever you might need, it's there!

And yes, as Derbo pointed out, Kalim does amazing M3 swaps!

Cost cost cost. I'd look into it, of course. But M3s are going for stupid money at auctions from what I hear.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 03:56 PM
I love the IR/on NB but that front end is going to need some work. Only ~115k mi though!

Yeah I wouldn't get something damaged like that. Not worth it. I'd rather swap into a measly 325i.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
So, another question guys. I don't know how value works with swapped cars like this. Think it's a bad idea to put this into a salvage shell?

Johnmadd
03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
So, another question guys. I don't know how value works with swapped cars like this. Think it's a bad idea to put this into a salvage shell?

Not if it's the right price and you plan on keeping it, although you may be able to sell at cost here with documentation.

UdubBadger
03-01-2015, 05:45 PM

Yeah you would want opposite. Good standing shell car, salvaged parts car. Then your VIN is in good standing with the state which is what will remain registered from the shell.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Damn. Seems like that really limits my options on finding a shell for cheap.

UdubBadger
03-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Unless you're really looking at building something from ground up (which I personally think isn't worth the time/effort unless it's a racecar) you should be fine just swapping in what's needed and then slowly upgrading other stuff as you go along.

GoingHAM mobile

Vas
03-01-2015, 08:41 PM
High mileage zhp and a wrecked m3.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Unless you're really looking at building something from ground up (which I personally think isn't worth the time/effort unless it's a racecar) you should be fine just swapping in what's needed and then slowly upgrading other stuff as you go along.

GoingHAM mobile

That's what I'm thinking. I don't mind starting with a 325i and getting what I need slowly over time.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 08:47 PM
High mileage zhp and a wrecked m3.

Even a high mileage ZHP would put me over budget too quickly. Unless it's salvage. But I want to avoid that.

UdubBadger
03-01-2015, 08:50 PM
That's what I'm thinking. I don't mind starting with a 325i and getting what I need slowly over time.

Yep. Or a Zhp and get better stuff to start with that you'll duo getting later anyway ;)

GoingHAM mobile

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 10:18 PM
Yep. Or a Zhp and get better stuff to start with that you'll duo getting later anyway ;)

GoingHAM mobile
Only things I care for are the body kit, the headliner (meh), and the shadowline (again, meh). Nothing else matters to me.

derbo
03-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Only things I care for are the body kit, the headliner (meh), and the shadowline (again, meh). Nothing else matters to me.

Xenon auto level

Sent from iPad Mini

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 10:26 PM
Xenon auto level

Sent from iPad Mini
Meh. I can retrofit superior xenons. Don't care for auto level much.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 11:47 PM
http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/16801555?searchId=664404128

White sedan.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Looks like there actually are some clean titles popping up here and there. Will keep an eye out.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Thinking I might 6MT as well.

Avetiso
03-01-2015, 11:57 PM
http://ww2.copart.com/us/Lot/17077175?searchId=1665422111

Black wagon.

slater
03-02-2015, 05:43 AM

Black wagon.

ding!

that would rock.

peter

derbo
03-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Black wagon.

Do ittttt

Sent from iPad Mini

UdubBadger
03-02-2015, 07:02 AM

Well what I'm saying is the suspension would be a big plus to start out with and then modify as you go. You wouldn't need to swap anything until it wore out and you'd have M like handling from the get go.

poke08
03-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Black wagon.

Looks like it has an mtech 2 rear bumper

Nvm lol. I thought I saw the diffuser

derbo
03-04-2015, 11:43 PM
Well what I'm saying is the suspension would be a big plus to start out with and then modify as you go. You wouldn't need to swap anything until it wore out and you'd have M like handling from the get go.

m handling sounds a little far fetch lol

UdubBadger
03-05-2015, 07:32 AM
M "like"

Better than sports pkg but not full on M obviously. The upgraded bits and pieces the Zhp has make a small but noticeable difference over zsp.

GoingHAM mobile

Hornung418
03-05-2015, 08:11 AM
I like the wagon as a starting point.

Seems like it's got everything you could want as far as space, utility and the front is already taken apart...so sliding the old engine out and the S54 in should be cake :)

Vas
03-05-2015, 09:22 AM
I bet that wagon had a m-tech 2 bumper on the front as well.

slater
03-05-2015, 10:08 AM
hmmm. rear bumper would be harder to come by.

i like it.

peter

az3579
03-06-2015, 08:47 AM
m handling sounds a little far fetch lol

NoVAphotog
04-01-2015, 08:30 AM
bump!