PDA

View Full Version : Lowering + Spacers Question

TenaciousDuck
03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone.

To begin, my car is a 2004 330CI (zhp). Imola red :)

Anyways, I've been searching around for a while and haven't found the right bits of information I am looking for, so I figured I'd start a thread. Please forgive me if I missed a thread or 2 that contained the answer -- links would be appreciated!

Moving on, I recently blew out the front shocks on my car. As it stands, I'm also replacing some CABs, end links, etc., and I figured that while I'm doing all this, I should look into possibly making the car look a little more how I would like it.

Originally I was just going to go with 12mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear with the stock ZHP / 135 wheels -- I'm running 225/40 & 255/35s. Then I thought, maybe I should look into lowering it just a tad.

Has anyone ever used the H&R Sport Cup kit with spacers on these cars? Or Koni Yellows w/ H&R Race springs? I'm not wanting to do any fender rolling, so I'm trying to find a good solution that will bring the wheels out a bit and drop the car just ever so slightly; the roads I live on are not very forgiving. They can be rough with bumps, etc., which is why I am NOT looking for a significant drop. I'm not overly concerned with comfort as I prefer handling performance, but comfort is a factor. I don't want to be in a tank per say.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

johnrando
03-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Yup, H&R sport cup kit w/spacers is pretty common. Due to rear "vert sag" my car sits pretty low with that kit, and due to the vert underpinnings being slightly different, my spacers rubbed in the rear, but on a non-vert it shouldn't. The H&R Race springs are really lower, surprisingly a smooth ride, but probably a little to jarring over bumps and likely a little too low for what you are describing - from my limited experience and interpolating what you are saying. I had Race springs on my car too - (the ones in my sig pic). I can't comment on the Koni's but I know people like them.

ryankokesh
03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
I think I run 12/15mm spacers in the summer, and that's pretty good to me. I haven't used either of the suspension kits you listed myself, but I've heard good things about both. Any reason you're looking at H&R Race over the Sports? Thinking sports might be better for the drop you're describing?

Good time to do it though... I think spring tends to be the time of the year they go on sale. Tire Rack currently has 25% off Koni products, and I seem to remember that ECS usually has a suspension sale sometime in March. (not 100% on that though...maybe someone can chime in if I'm lying.)

TenaciousDuck
03-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the response!

So 12mm & 15mm front/rear respectively is a pretty common setup?

You may be right that they drop too low; I live in a city with some rougher roads and plenty of speed bumps. More though I'm concerned about rubbing if I combine the H&R cup kit with those spacers. Good to know it shouldn't rub.

The drop in your sig looks awesome, but would be too much for me. I'm looking at maybe .75f & .25-.5rear

TenaciousDuck
03-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info. I think from what I've read I'll be good on the 12/15 spacers, but yupp just comes down to the right amount of drop without any rubbing (Specifically in the rear, as I hear that's the trouble spot)

I just figure if I go spacers without drop, it might look a bit off.

ECS has Koni on sale right now, but even then, going with the H&R set - which you're right, it is the sport I'm looking at - is cheaper and I'm sure the quality is there.

ryankokesh
03-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I think from what I've read I'll be good on the 12/15 spacers, but yupp just comes down to the right amount of drop without any rubbing (Specifically in the rear, as I hear that's the trouble spot)

I just figure if I go spacers without drop, it might look a bit off.

ECS has Koni on sale right now, but even then, going with the H&R set - which you're right, it is the sport I'm looking at - is cheaper and I'm sure the quality is there.

I ran the 12/15 last summer with stock suspension and liked it. Only dropped it this winter because I had 140k on the original equipment... :facepalm

TenaciousDuck
03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
Do you have a picture by chance of what they looked like without being dropped?

NoVAphotog
03-02-2015, 01:38 PM
I ran the 12/15 last summer with stock suspension and liked it. Only dropped it this winter because I had 140k on the original equipment... :facepalm

Do you have a picture by chance of what they looked like without being dropped?

+1

I'm considering 12.5 all around for this summer on stock and am curious as well what 12/15 looks like. I've heard 15 can rub on a stock sedan, did you experience any?

ryankokesh
03-02-2015, 01:40 PM
You would think I'd have a picture, right? I really only had the spacers on for a couple months before the winters went on, unfortunately.

This is the best I can do though...
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/14521648220_bcc69d42f5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o8ef6b)IMG_0132 (https://flic.kr/p/o8ef6b) by ryankokesh (https://www.flickr.com/people/28846835@N06/), on Flickr

ryankokesh
03-02-2015, 01:40 PM
+1

I'm considering 12.5 all around for this summer on stock and am curious as well what 12/15 looks like. I've heard 15 can rub on a stock sedan, did you experience any?

I think it may have once on a huge bump. Effectively none, though.

NoVAphotog
03-02-2015, 01:43 PM
You would think I'd have a picture, right? I really only had the spacers on for a couple months before the winters went on, unfortunately.

This is the best I can do though...
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5556/14521648220_bcc69d42f5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/o8ef6b)IMG_0132 (https://flic.kr/p/o8ef6b) by ryankokesh (https://www.flickr.com/people/28846835@N06/), on Flickr

That's actually not a bad reference pic, at least for the rear. Kind of the same angle as my sig so you can see how they are definitely more in line and the look I'm picturing is there. Thanks!

ryankokesh
03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Anytime!

Vas
03-02-2015, 02:30 PM
If it rubs, you can always add more negative camber if you dont want to roll fenders.

Also depends on the type of tire. Some tires have a lip protector and a fat sidewall that might cause rubbing.

slater
03-03-2015, 04:52 AM
a lot of it depends on camber settings, and tires.

i ran 12.5mm spacers on the rear with the stock wheels and 255/35/18 general g-max AS03's, which were a fairly narrow tire - no rubbing whatsoever. camber was set around -1.8º.

i then installed some 255/40/18 contisportcontacts (OE M3 tires - and fairly fat), and it rubbed like crazy with the 12.5mm spacer - i went down to 10mm, and it still rubbed, but only on extremely hard compressions.

my first goal this year with the suspension - besides replacing worn bits - is to bring rear camber to perhaps -0.8º (for more neutral handling) and then decide what spacer i want to run from that point, if anything at all.

peter

TenaciousDuck
03-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Some great input here everyone. I appreciate it.

I'll be running Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport AS/3s for the tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vas
03-03-2015, 06:53 AM
a lot of it depends on camber settings, and tires.

i ran 12.5mm spacers on the rear with the stock wheels and 255/38/18 general g-max AS03's, which were a fairly narrow tire - no rubbing whatsoever. camber was set around -1.8º.

i then installed some 255/40/18 contisportcontacts (OE M3 tires - and fairly fat), and it rubbed like crazy with the 12.5mm spacer - i went down to 10mm, and it still rubbed, but only on extremely hard compressions.

my first goal this year with the suspension - besides replacing worn bits - is to bring rear camber to perhaps -0.8º (for more neutral handling) and then decide what spacer i want to run from that point, if anything at all.

peter
You need adjust toe for stability not negative camber.

slater
03-03-2015, 08:01 AM
You need adjust toe for stability not negative camber.

i didn't mention stability, but they both play a part.

less negative camber in the rear will help reduce understeer and maximize tire contact patch.

peter

brettbimmer
03-04-2015, 10:33 AM
While not exactly what you are considering, here is my car on Koni yellows and H&R sport springs. I am also running Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus tires. Currently not running any spacers, but hope to in the future, if I can get past metal block of the added stress which they put on the wheel bearings. Given the drop that I have on my car with the sport springs, I think you would really have trouble with the H&R race springs and rubbing with spacers, and depending on your location it would be darn tough in the city as the drop would be too much. There are a few members here running the cup kits, and they seem to have a nice balance in terms of height - streetable, but still looks good. FWIW, I sometimes catch pine cones on my stone driveway. ;) No rubbing with this setup though thus far, and I have not rolled the fenders on my car.

ryankokesh
03-05-2015, 03:34 AM
:drool

Sent from my iPhone

09mageec
03-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Ok so I figured I'd chime in since I've been a bit of a phantom forum'er for quite a long while now(Tapatalk has changed that).

Here is my current setup as of just this afternoon..
12.5mm in the rear, and 15mm up front. A bit backwards compared to most. The reason for that being is because I am sitting on BC Racing coils with quite a bit of negative camber up front, that is until all this dirty white crap melts and I have the chance to pull it out. When I do pull it out i will still leave some camber and I think I'll keep the current setup..
I like being able to see the meat of the tire sticking out when i'm looking at the car from an angle and behind. Hope it helps!!

Vas
03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Drool. IMOLA...

TenaciousDuck
03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks all for the responses.

Once the car is back on the road, I'm going to look at either a 12/15 setup or 10/12.

This is my car as it sits. Suspension wise, fullly stock. Soon the Koni yellows will be on and I'll measure up for spacers :)

brettbimmer
03-06-2015, 06:02 PM

Once the car is back on the road, I'm going to look at either a 12/15 setup or 10/12.

This is my car as it sits. Suspension wise, fullly stock. Soon the Koni yellows will be on and I'll measure up for spacers :)

You'll love the koni yellows. Third Bimmer with them and have had nothing but great luck with them.

brettbimmer
03-06-2015, 06:05 PM

You'll love the koni yellows. Third Bimmer with them and have had nothing but great luck with them.

TenaciousDuck
03-07-2015, 04:57 AM
That's great news. Ive read quite a few good things on the yellows which is why I went that route

brettbimmer
03-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Sorry for the double-double postings. Tapatalk wasn't cooperating last evening.