PDA

View Full Version : Hey BMW Performance brake guys.......

BADCLOWN
03-06-2015, 08:50 AM
what all did you use for your swap?

found this locally and wondering if its usable on our cars.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/4902747982.html

az3579
03-06-2015, 08:52 AM
what all did you use for your swap?

found this locally and wondering if its usable on our cars.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/4902747982.html

I had this kit. I no longer run it.
You need the ECS Tuning adapter brackets to be able to mount the calipers. ECS does not sell them individually, only as part of their kit which includes everything you see there. Their price is like $1700 last time I checked...

UdubBadger
03-06-2015, 09:03 AM
That kit had um it looks like BP

GoingHAM mobile

BADCLOWN
03-06-2015, 09:38 AM
So the only way to run this setup is to spend the money through ECS and get their kit?

Figured I might be able to scoop this a little cheaper than listed and get the mounting hardware separate.

Why don't you run it anymore, didn't like it?

cakM3
03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
So the only way to run this setup is to spend the money through ECS and get their kit?

If you want everything w/o the headaches of trying to find the correct mounting hardware for your car then yes...

I have this on my ZHP and absolutely love it....but then I'm not tracking my ZHP either. Perfect for street use if you ask me ;)

BADCLOWN
03-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Yeah I don't ever plan to track mine, would be nice to have the extra bite and looks

cakM3
03-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Yeah I don't ever plan to track mine, would be nice to have the extra bite and looks

I can relate....for me it's a blend of performance and looks....of course there's a very fine line and I'm sure I'm on that line with both cars ;)

derbo
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
That kit had um it looks like BP

GoingHAM mobile
This kit is for an e9x. This will NOT fit our cars.

ECSTuning kit consist of the following:

BMW Performance calipers
Custom ECSTuning caliper mounting brackets
ECS stainless steel brake line. (Uncertain if this is the same length as a stock e46 line.
BMW E36(I think) Brake sensor (e46 one is too short)
BMW E46 325mmx20mm Performance rotors

The rotors in the kit on CL is for an e9x and will not fit. If I recall they are at least 338mm and the hub will not bolt up.

Good luck

sent from my phone

derbo
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
I forgot to mention I no longer use this setup either as I hated it for the track. It did not dissipate heat like I would've expect it to. Also the lack of increase in rotor size compared to stock really did not work well for HPDE I was attending.

sent from my phone

UdubBadger
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Ohhhhhhhh those brackets were for the E9x is what you're saying.

Got it

GoingHAM mobile

BADCLOWN
03-06-2015, 01:31 PM
i figured the rotors/etc wouldn't work. more so just looking at the calipers.

az3579
03-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Figured I might be able to scoop this a little cheaper than listed and get the mounting hardware separate.

Why don't you run it anymore, didn't like it?

Correct, the only way to run this kit is if you have the correct adapter brackets. As far as I know, nobody makes them, and only ECS offers them (only if you buy the whole kit - not available separately).

I don't run it anymore because I got sick of replacing the seals on a constant basis. I'm on the third set of seals and even these are leaking. I've had it with these calipers. I used the calipers on the track, but that is still no reason for me to be on the third set of seals in just a couple of years. I only do 2-3 events MAX a year.

For street use you should be fine, but if you ever start tracking, you must replace the pistons and the seals, and that is where my problems started (once I replaced the seals for the first time). I replaced all of it preventatively so I wouldn't have problems down the road. Oh the irony.

The bite isn't really much more. I was expecting night and day difference, which it is NOT.

This kit is for an e9x. This will NOT fit our cars.

ECSTuning kit consist of the following:

BMW Performance calipers
Custom ECSTuning caliper mounting brackets
ECS stainless steel brake line. (Uncertain if this is the same length as a stock e46 line.
BMW E36(I think) Brake sensor (e46 one is too short)
BMW E46 325mmx20mm Performance rotors

The rotors in the kit on CL is for an e9x and will not fit. If I recall they are at least 338mm and the hub will not bolt up.

Good luck

sent from my phone

This. No adapter brackets and the incorrect rotors are in the kit that you linked to.

Vas
03-06-2015, 02:45 PM
I bet I could machine a set of relocation brackets but in the end its not worth it.

BADCLOWN
03-06-2015, 03:00 PM
im kinda surprised that the "bite" isn't there or more noticeable with the setup.

cakM3
03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Even so, having a BMW Performance BBK, especially for street driving, brings out the "BBK Bling" so I will still roll on my set :thumbsup

Once I mount rear Performance 135i calipers I will have the desired setup for my ZHP :)

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
i dont disagree with you there AT ALL. they sure do look pretty behind a nice set of wheels

LivesNearCostco
03-06-2015, 03:53 PM
They might offer more bite (more rotor clamping force) but BMW E36 M3 and E46 330/ZHP cars don't need it on the race track. The stock brakes can engage ABS even using sticky tires on dry pavement. What you might enjoy is better heat dissipation (fade resistance), better pedal feel, and longer-lasting pads. Using semi-race pads, Ate Typ200 fluid, and the brass caliper bushings, I haven't had any fade problems yet on the track. However I don't brake really hard, so faster drivers or those with more horsepower might need big brake kits for prevent brake fade.

On the other hand most of the E36 racers seem to say that with brake ducting channeling fresh air directly to the front rotors, they can easily race without brake fade using stock calipers. Those going to BBKs are doing it for better pedal feel, cheaper (less frequent) pad replacements, or because they have a S54 or LS2 motor swap or a turbo. I think the right BBK also reduces unsprung weight, and of course they look awesome.

im kinda surprised that the "bite" isn't there or more noticeable with the setup.

UdubBadger
03-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Wasn't someone making the brackets for this set up to go to E46 a few years ago?

derbo
03-06-2015, 04:21 PM
Wasn't someone making the brackets for this set up to go to E46 a few years ago?
Chad44.

sent from my phone

UdubBadger
03-06-2015, 04:24 PM
yep thats right, wonder what ever happened to that project.

slater
03-06-2015, 04:42 PM
I bet I could machine a set of relocation brackets but in the end its not worth it.

it would be worth it if they were made for porsche 996/986S brembo calipers... those are reliable, light, and relatively inexpensive. the last pair i bought were new OEM take-offs for $600 (for the pair!).

the brackets would be really easy to make. i would do it for stock-size rotors and make a front and rear kit based off the calipers listed above.

peter

cakM3
03-06-2015, 04:48 PM
yep thats right, wonder what ever happened to that project.

Seth, Chad has been so wrapped up on his Engineering degree I don't think he has had the time to fully pursue this avenue...

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

derbo
03-06-2015, 06:38 PM
They might offer more bite (more rotor clamping force) but BMW E36 M3 and E46 330/ZHP cars don't need it on the race track. The stock brakes can engage ABS even using sticky tires on dry pavement. What you might enjoy is better heat dissipation (fade resistance), better pedal feel, and longer-lasting pads. Using semi-race pads, Ate Typ200 fluid, and the brass caliper bushings, I haven't had any fade problems yet on the track. However I don't brake really hard, so faster drivers or those with more horsepower might need big brake kits for prevent brake fade.

On the other hand most of the E36 racers seem to say that with brake ducting channeling fresh air directly to the front rotors, they can easily race without brake fade using stock calipers. Those going to BBKs are doing it for better pedal feel, cheaper (less frequent) pad replacements, or because they have a S54 or LS2 motor swap or a turbo. I think the right BBK also reduces unsprung weight, and of course they look awesome.
Agree with you on this one. The brake pedal modulation is actually very similar to what e46 have from the factory. The pad itself is almost double in the size and that in itself allows for a better great distribution of the heat generated by heavy braking. Unfortunately the design of the calipers prevents for proper heat dissipation when using aftermarket pads with a high operating temperature. The calipers have been known to destroy pistons as BP said. I wish they would've worked for me but I ended up going StopTech BBK

sent from my phone

LobsterTail
08-29-2015, 05:28 AM
I didn't want to make another thread. Thought it would be best to post up here for others that are interested in this.

Does anyone have the Part Number to the BMW performance brake Calipers only for our ZHP? Both Front Calipers?

I found a site called rallyroad.net and they make 996 Caliper brackets for the 996 Calipers to work. I figured I'd give the 6 piston brakes a shot before I go to the 996 caliper route.

Any information would be great. If I can get the 6 Piston BMW Performance Caliper part numbers and then brackets made that would be great.

BADCLOWN
08-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Driver: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Bmw_Performance_Calipers/ES254800/

Passenger: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Bmw_Performance_Calipers/ES254801/

derbo
08-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Brackets are custom by ECStuning. IMO the BMW Performance brakes are nothing but show. 135i guys ditch them for proper brakes. The lack of ability to replace the brakepads without fully unbolting the caliper is silly on a BBK like this. The design also has a high heat retention problem that can lead to cracked piston caps if you use aftermarket track pads. BP had a few failures with these calipers and I ultimately exceeded the limits of the calipers quite quickly.

But on the pro side, they sure look pretty..

UdubBadger
08-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Agree^

I love my 996 brakes. You can source for pretty close to same price as BMW performance ones when all is said and done.

GoingHAM mobile

BADCLOWN
08-30-2015, 09:53 AM
But you guys track your cars correct? It's not a good track/auto cross setup but for daily driving and spirited runs it sounds perfectly fine.

derbo
08-30-2015, 06:15 PM
But you guys track your cars correct? It's not a good track/auto cross setup but for daily driving and spirited runs it sounds perfectly fine.

You are right. For a street setup its perfectly fine. I would just make it known that if you ever INTEND to take it to the track, the 330i calipers are far superior in durability with the proper track pads.

As for why I didn't like it outside of tracking, changing brake pads required the whole caliper to be removed and the brake pad on my set didn't fully seat on the rotor. The 135i pad is for a 338mm rotor so there was a slight lip of brake pad when my pads wore down. I wasn't exactly enthuse about that and the brake bias seemed a little off. My stoptechs now provide a proper stiff pedal.