PDA

View Full Version : New struts for my BMW 330 ZHP: OEM or Koni FSD??

Radarcontact
03-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I can get a set of OEM, or a set of Koni FSD for about the same price-- $600 or so.

I love the stock handling, but if I can make it better than why not, right? Just don't want to make it worse.

Will be leaving everything else OEM.

Opinions? (I don't know sh!t about suspensions)

P.s. -- either way I go, the ride height WILL NOT be affected, right?? Any experts out there?

danewilson77
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Just about every aftermarket kit out there will lower your car....other than oem.

I guess I am unsure of what you want.

Radarcontact
03-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Just about every aftermarket kit out there will lower your car....other than oem.

I guess I am unsure of what you want.

Ok, I thought lowering was due to springs (and mine will stay same).
I want to replace my shocks with the best option-- either direct ZHP oem or something else for the same price. What I don't want is to either:
a) make my car lower to where I have rubbing problems (if this is even something to worry about), or
b) make the handling worse by NOT using direct OEM replacement parts.

If the Konis would be a smart option, with zero negatives, then I should go with the Konis. I'm just not educated in suspensions enough to know! ;)

Washburn
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Needs to be in the maintenance or mechanical section

danewilson77
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I think Koni's would be fine. If you aren't replacing the springs...the ride height should stay the same. I misunderstood.

Depending on mileage though...I might recommend you change them out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kayger12
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Needs to be in the maintenance or mechanical section

Yep, got it Wash. Moving to Suspension & Brakes.

kpro
03-08-2011, 01:29 PM
What about Bilstein? Don't get me wrong, I have had many many good sets of Koni's, and I really like them. Recently it seems like they're being made cheaper, I haven't tried the FSD's, but I decided to put bilsteins on my 325. I just put them on over the weekend and didn't have to deal with the cartridge inserts like the Koni's do, which was really nice! If you were local, I would let you use my tirerack discount.

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Good man Keith.

Good lookin out Wash.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mikeyb74
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
I'm with Kpro about Konis being manufactured cheaper lately. I went with Bilstein Sports.

MrMaico
03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
I can get a set of OEM, or a set of Koni FSD for about the same price-- $600 or so.

I love the stock handling, but if I can make it better than why not, right? Just don't want to make it worse.

Will be leaving everything else OEM.

Opinions? (I don't know sh!t about suspensions)

P.s. -- either way I go, the ride height WILL NOT be affected, right?? Any experts out there?

Have you seen this package? Shocks, struts AND ZHP front control arms for $460 plus shipping at Husker BMW. Tischer used to have a free shipping deal on this package but I'm not seeing it any more.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=31_0808&hg=31&fg=95

Part #33500429577 here........

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=215771

As far as getting the FSD or OEM it sounds like the FSD might ride a bit better than OEM but there have been reports of premature failure on the FSDs. No idea if they've taken care of whatever it was that was causing them to leak, sometimes even right out of the box.

I have been debating getting the FSDs myself and using my original springs but haven't made any decision yet. I also have a set of OEM ZHP shocks/struts with 10,000 miles on them that I have debated using.

I personally would prefer Bilstein shocks but it sounds like they might ride stiffer than I'd like so that's why I have been thinking about the Konis.

Just thought I'd throw out another option for you. Who knows, I may end up going with that BMW package deal myself, I have no complaints with the stock setup. Or just say the hell with it and get the Bilsteins. Whatever I do I don't want to lower it any, or not more than an inch anyways.

Barry

adb1028
03-18-2011, 09:46 AM
I thought the Koni's have a lifetime warranty?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

MrMaico
03-18-2011, 10:34 AM
I thought the Koni's have a lifetime warranty?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

They do but you still have the hassle of getting it replaced.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=766978

Radarcontact
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Thanks and sorry... ;)

Radarcontact
03-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Have you seen this package? Shocks, struts AND ZHP front control arms for $460 plus shipping at Husker BMW. Tischer used to have a free shipping deal on this package but I'm not seeing it any more.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=31_0808&hg=31&fg=95

Part #33500429577 here........

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=215771

As far as getting the FSD or OEM it sounds like the FSD might ride a bit better than OEM but there have been reports of premature failure on the FSDs. No idea if they've taken care of whatever it was that was causing them to leak, sometimes even right out of the box.

I have been debating getting the FSDs myself and using my original springs but haven't made any decision yet. I also have a set of OEM ZHP shocks/struts with 10,000 miles on them that I have debated using.

I personally would prefer Bilstein shocks but it sounds like they might ride stiffer than I'd like so that's why I have been thinking about the Konis.

Just thought I'd throw out another option for you. Who knows, I may end up going with that BMW package deal myself, I have no complaints with the stock setup. Or just say the hell with it and get the Bilsteins. Whatever I do I don't want to lower it any, or not more than an inch anyways.

Barry

Now that I have done some research it looks like the shocks are different numbers and this kit will not work on my convertible. That sucks, cause it was seeming like the best solution (I think I may need lower CABs or something down there, getting a little clunking sound over small bumps and corner turn-in not as sharp as it was 20k ago).

P.s.
NOBODY has the 'vert kit anymore. I even had my brother search in Germany. It's part number 33500429752 and had an extra sway bar AND was on sale for < $296 at one time!! No wonder they are all gone! Somebody finds me one for $300, I'll send you a box of NY Strips!! :)

Marcus-SanDiego
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks and sorry... ;)

No worries, Radar.

danewilson77
03-20-2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/33500429752-RETROFIT-KIT-SPORTS-SUSPENSI319010

$256....good enough?

$295 from here...

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/BMW-3-Series-E21-E30-E36-E46-E90-E91-E92-E93/330Ci/Retrofit-kit-sports-suspension/1356073/33500429752.html

Droid X! Srs Legitness!

MrMaico
03-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Now that I have done some research it looks like the shocks are different numbers and this kit will not work on my convertible. That sucks, cause it was seeming like the best solution (I think I may need lower CABs or something down there, getting a little clunking sound over small bumps and corner turn-in not as sharp as it was 20k ago).

P.s.
NOBODY has the 'vert kit anymore. I even had my brother search in Germany. It's part number 33500429752 and had an extra sway bar AND was on sale for < $296 at one time!! No wonder they are all gone! Somebody finds me one for $300, I'll send you a box of NY Strips!! :)

Oops, sorry bout that. I missed the part about you having a vert.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/33500429752-RETROFIT-KIT-SPORTS-SUSPENSI319010

$256....good enough?

$295 from here...

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/BMW-3-Series-E21-E30-E36-E46-E90-E91-E92-E93/330Ci/Retrofit-kit-sports-suspension/1356073/33500429752.html

Droid X! Srs Legitness!

NLA at BMWofSA and I'm afraid you might find the same thing at DDM. I would definitely give them a call though.....you never know. You might owe Dane some steaks.:biggrin

Burrogs
03-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I've got 88K on my ZHP and am considering a suspension overhaul as well. Don't need the sway bars, but it might be good to put fresh control arms in. Are the ZHP control arms a wear and tear item themselves, or only the bushings? I was going to go with the FSD + Eibach kit, but the price on this one may be too good to pass up.

kayger12
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Welcome. The ball joints in the control arms are a wear item. Stock ones are not replaceable, so you have to replace the whole CA. Meyle HD CAs have replaceable ball joints.

Radarcontact
03-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Oops, sorry bout that. I missed the part about you having a vert.

NLA at BMWofSA and I'm afraid you might find the same thing at DDM. I would definitely give them a call though.....you never know. You might owe Dane some steaks.:biggrin

Nope, no free beef for Dane. Those guys advertise them but don't actually have them. Ddm was supposed to have removed it from the web page but I guess have not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etomori
06-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Has any ZHP owner replaced the original shocks with Koni FDSs? The posts in this thread talk about it, but no one has said they have a set on with or without stock springs. Have an 03 330i 6SP model with 88,000 plus miles on it. Read the positive Tire Rack test/review of the FSD on its BMW 330Ci test car. Read a lot of posts discussing the relative merits and demerits of Koni FDS, Bilstein Sports and Bilstein HD shocks, BUT, it seems that it is all talk and no action!

Has any owner actually put on Koni FSD shocks on his/her ZHP? What was the experience in the ride and handling compared to the stock ZHP setup? Was it worth it and why or why not?

How about replacement of the original ZHP shocks with Bilstein Sports? What was the experience in ride and handling compared to the stock stocks? Note that some claim that Bilstein Sports are designed for vehicles that have been lowered from stock height because they have shorter travel. Does the ZHP suspension drop in height warrants the replacement with the Sports shocks?

Should the Bilstein HD shocks be considered the replacement? Why or why not, in terms of ride and handling?

I do not plan to track my car. I use the car for fast tourning on long trips in the mountainous areas of the West Coast states. However, the lack of quality maintenance of the highways in California necessitate some controlled give in the suspension due to potholes, drop-offs and other severe irregularities encountered on the road surfaces at high speed. The two-stage ride control quality claimed for the Koni FSD shocks makes it attractive as a replacement shock for my type of driving.

Would appreciate advise from ZHP owners. Thanks.

danewilson77
06-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Has any ZHP owner replaced the original shocks with Koni FDSs? The posts in this thread talk about it, but no one has said they have a set on with or without stock springs. Have an 03 330i 6SP model with 88,000 plus miles on it. Read the positive Tire Rack test/review of the FSD on its BMW 328 test car. Read a lot of posts discussing the relative merits and demerits of Koni FDS, Bilstein Sports and Bilstein HD shocks, BUT, it seems that it is all talk and no action!

Has any owner actually put on Koni FSD shocks on his/her ZHP? What was the experience in the ride and handling compared to the stock ZHP setup? Was it worth it and why or why not?

How about replacement of the original ZHP shocks with Bilstein Sports? What was the experience in ride and handling compared to the stock stocks? Note that some claim that Bilstein Sports are designed for vehicles that have been lowered from stock height because they have shorter travel. Does the ZHP suspension drop in height warrants the replacement with the Sports shocks?

Should the Bilstein HD shocks be considered the replacement? Why or why not, in terms of ride and handling?

I do not plan to track my car. I use the car for fast tourning on long trips in the mountainous areas of the West Coast states. However, the lack of quality maintenance of the highways in California necessitate some controlled give in the suspension due to potholes, drop-offs and other severe irregularities encountered on the road surfaces at high speed. The two-stage ride control quality claimed for the Koni FSD shocks makes it attractive as a replacement shock for my type of driving.

Would appreciate advise from ZHP owners. Thanks.

Have you looked into the oem suspension kit?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
06-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Have you looked into the own suspension kit?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

"own" = auto-corrected OEM, methinks.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
06-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Damn....fixed

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

etomori
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
To danewilson 77 --- Considered it, but I believe the OE shocks for the ZHP were made by SACHS or another second line European shock source. It is a good price, but looking for a better shock. Notice that you have coilovers, but I am not interest in that kind of mods.

Want to hear from ZHP owners who actually put on FSDs, Bilstein Sports and/or HDs on their cars as to their respective experience and recommendation. Thanks.

3ZHPGUY
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
I put Koni Sports on mine last month @ 92K and it feels new again. I went with the Sports because they're adjustable. Currently I have them set in the middle of the adjustment. Slightly stiff but, that's my personal preference.

I need to replace the rears on my Wives 325 vert this weekend and may go with Koni STR.T's. I checked them last night and when I jacked up the Right Rear the shock fell apart. OH SHi..., the tire dropped about 3". I'll letuno.