PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Noises...crap

kpro
03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
This past weekend I lowered my car...I put it all back together and there is a very un-nerving noise over bumps. It almost sounds like something metal is moving up and down on the drivers side. It wont do it over cracks and small imperfections in the road but anything that makes the strut move up and then down there is a metal on metal clang.

I put the thing back together, left my shop heard the noise and turned right around. I took the wheel off and NOTHING is loose. Nothing is out of place. I was even able to get the sway bar endlinks on pretty easy. Im at work now, I guess I can put it on a lift, but Im sooo done with this mess.

I know there is a little nubby thing that goes into a hole right next to one of the upper shock bolts when installing the strut, the one on my drivers side is missing, do you think that has to do with anything? Im so lost as to what it is. I really love the drop, much better than the h&r sports I had on there for a day or two last summer. I put my 18's on just to see if they would rub or not with the 255's on there. It sits really flush actually, even with a 250 lb. dude sitting in the trunk I dont think I will rub.

Do you think I may have busted one of the endlinks internally? Is that common? Do I need shorter ones?

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Nubby thing don't matter. As a matter of fact...they punch this out when adjusting the camber.

I will edit this...but wanted you to know I am working on it...

Did you replace FSM's? What endlinks did you get?

Again...what setup did you install?

Pull the tire off and take a pic.

kpro
03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Okay, pulling it on the lift here shortly. I didn't replace endlinks, used the stock ones. I have h&R races springs and bilstein sport shocks. I didn't do the front fsp because they were still in good shape. replaced the rears tho. My problem is only with the left front. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr crap. I will get you a pic :)

danewilson77
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
That's wild. There's only a few connection points.

1. Shock tube to kingpin.
2. Shock to FSM
3. FSM to Strut tower.
4. Endlink to shock tube
5. End link to sway bar.

Did you do anything with the inner and/or lower ball joints?

kpro
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I figured out the noise! :) The big nut that holds the strut together, it backed off somehow, but not all the way. I torqued both of them yesterday passenger side then drivers. Well as soon as I got home the noise was back when I pulled in the driveway, the damn thing did it again. The one nut had a ton of corrosion on it, so I ran up to the dealer and got 2 new ones, problem solved I hope. So weird!! I have never had anything like that happen, other than my turbo bolts who unbolt themselves constantly, but they have a ton of vibration to knock em' loose. Oh well, I feel dead inside. Just hit the gym pretty hard.

Thanks for trying to help me Dane. Im sometimes helpless haha!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Kristen, good work regardless.

kayger12
03-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Nice trouble shooting.

Good work.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 05:12 AM
That is a nylock nut. I am curious as to how it backed off. Regardless...I am glad it's fixed.

kayger12
03-08-2011, 09:02 AM
That is a nylock nut. I am curious as to how it backed off. Regardless...I am glad it's fixed.

I think she might have reused them.

kpro
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, I reused them because the ones that came with my struts were the wrong ones...they were tiny.

kayger12
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Yep, I've been in that fix before.

Sometimes some blue lock tite will do the trick in a pinch.

Glad you got it worked out.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 10:35 AM
WTF?

MrMaico
03-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Help!!! Noises...crap (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1550-Help%21%21%21-Noises...crap)

This gets my vote for most entertaining thread title of the year. LOL

Glad you got it figured out.

Barry

Jon D
03-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Nylocs are one time use only to insure they don't back off. The nylon takes on the threads after you bolt them on and next go around they may or may not.. most like not stay in place.