PDA

View Full Version : Painting rotor hats / insides

az3579
03-28-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm looking at ordering rotors all around soon, but hate the thought of the rotor hats and insides rusting out over time. I was thinking of painting the rotors with high temp paint to help protect them from rusting.

Has anyone ever done this before? I'm thinking of just spraying these areas with black paint. I don't care about overspray onto the braking surface since brake application should just remove overspray. Would the overspray be an issue. Does anyone see an issue with painting the unused portions of the rotor? I obviously won't be spraying the braking surface deliberately, just the unused hat section and underneath the hat on the other side (the recessed area).

slater
03-29-2015, 04:44 AM
why not order zimmermann coated rotors? the work's already done for you. :)

i've run them before and they work as advertised - the hats do not rust.

peter

ryankokesh
03-29-2015, 04:45 AM
Shouldn't be an issue if you use caliper paint. I'd just tape it off, and not have to worry about the rotor itself.
And there are a number of rotors that come with painted hats. Might save you some effort.

Sent from my iPhone

az3579
03-29-2015, 10:34 AM
ECS doesn't sell Zimmerman rotors that are slotted. They only offer drilled and blank.
Also according to the pictures, they are not painted.

wsmeyer
03-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Check these guys out

https://www.adamsrotors.com

az3579
03-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Check these guys out

https://www.adamsrotors.com

Looks like a cool site, but their initial price is too high.
I'd rather just buy the ECS Geomet rotors I usually get for about $150 a pair and paint the hats and unused areas myself. I'm on a budget right now so that definitely will not be viable. I will save the site for the next time around though; I'd love to get a cool design on my rotors! I go through a set every 2 years or so; I won't have to wait too long. :)

Simmsled
03-29-2015, 02:52 PM
I'm running the Meyle rotors with Jurid pads and am super satisfied with the coating.
No sign of coming off or fading, etc.

mbeckel
03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
ECS doesn't sell Zimmerman rotors that are slotted. They only offer drilled and blank.
Ray sells them....

Sent from in the bushes

UdubBadger
03-29-2015, 04:39 PM

is ECS the only place that sells rotors now? Talk to Ray for sure.

I'm +1 for Adams

danewilson77
03-29-2015, 06:33 PM
is ECS the only place that sells rotors now? Talk to Ray for sure.

I'm +1 for Adams
+1

"No flamesuit required"