PDA

View Full Version : The OG ZHP: BMW 330i ZHP

Crickett
03-08-2011, 05:42 AM
Let me begin by stating that I have nothing but love & respect for all ZHPs & their pilots (except for MrMaico, you photo-contest-winning (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1557-Eye-Candy-!!!!WINNER-ANNOUNCED!!!!-First-Mafia-Photo-Contest!) bastid! :)), as well as all our E46 & extended BMW family. So please don't misconstrue this as hate or disrespect. That said . . .

The 330i ZHP sedan is the best, truest ZHP of them all!

. . . in my opinion.

It's not that the coupe & 'vert are not ZHPs or are lesser ZHPs, it's just that the sedan was the original ZHP &, I believe, the reason the Performance Package was created: to fill the gap that was left by the decision to not have a four-door M3.

Before the ZHP, if you wanted a hot E46, you could have an M3 coupe, an M3 'vert, or — somewhat pitifully in comparison — a 330i, perhaps with the Sport Package to help make up some of the not-inconsiderable difference. I know, I know, the M3 in any form is worlds apart from the non-M E46s, in terms of performance, intent, & let's not forget $$$. But the sedan crowd was missing out. Enter option code "Z". "H". "P".

It's a fact that the Performance Package was first offered exclusively on sedans in '03. That says to me that the sedan was the target platform for which the ZHP treatment was conceived & intended. Making it available to the other body styles in the preceding years, while I'm certain made all kinds of business & marketing sense, feels to me somewhat like an afterthought.

Perhaps I'm thinking about it in the wrong way. Asking a coupe or 'vert ZHP owner why he didn't just opt for the M3 is probably ignoring all sorts of circumstances & very important reasons to not go the M route. But I just can't shake the feeling that the 330i ZHPs are the ZHPs, & all the others just wanted what it had.

In any case, I think everyone can agree that the Performance Package is a phenomenal addition to the base 330, no matter in what form you find it!

:grouphug

Marcus-SanDiego
03-08-2011, 06:05 AM
I don't have any problem with your post. I do agree that the sedan filled a void. And I do agree that BMW likely realized that it could sell a lot more of these ZHP packages if they were offered in the coupe and convertible.

I own a coupe.

johnrando
03-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Your post makes sense from a sedan owner perspective, as the sedan truly was first, so it is the "OG". I don't have a problem with that point of you. It certainly doesn't mean it's "special". (lol, couldn't resist). Note that many makes come out with sedans first to capture a larger segment of the market, then follow with coupes, and then VERTs. BMW clearly hit a target spot in their market with the ZHP sedan, and we're glad they did. As for being a ZHP VERT owner, I have a definitive list of reasons why I didn't go M3. My personal car preference is that sedans are great, but I've driven and owned VERTs for 20+ years and I'd always want one in my garage, I love them! (I actually have 2, my other is a 1980 Triumph TR8). John

Hornung418
03-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Typically, sedans and wagons come before coupes and verts. And while the coupe was undergoing a facelift, I believe they held out until the final decision on the look of the new coupe was final.

DROIDstatus. Come at me, bro.

kayger12
03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
It's all good, Cricket. We coupe owners are used to you guys always finding different ways to feel better about your 2 extra doors :p

Crickett
03-08-2011, 08:18 AM
It's all good, Cricket. We coupe owners are used to you guys always finding different ways to feel better about your 2 extra doors :p
:rofl Well we are the OG ZHP, have a more rigid body, and . . . and . . . WINNING!

kayger12
03-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Lol-- my coupe still has Tiger Blood...

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I have F-14's coming outta my tailpipes.....driving in my boxers....straifing bullets.....you're all just droopy eyed, armless soft targets......

Imho....of course.

Thinking maybe about moving this to OT....

Mike V
03-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Your post makes sense from a sedan owner perspective, as the sedan truly was first, so it is the "OG". I don't have a problem with that point of you. It certainly doesn't mean it's "special". (lol, couldn't resist). Note that many makes come out with sedans first to capture a larger segment of the market, then follow with coupes, and then VERTs. BMW clearly hit a target spot in their market with the ZHP sedan, and we're glad they did. As for being a ZHP VERT owner, I have a definitive list of reasons why I didn't go M3. My personal car preference is that sedans are great, but I've driven and owned VERTs for 20+ years and I'd always want one in my garage, I love them! (I actually have 2, my other is a 1980 Triumph TR8). John

I would love to see photos of the TR8! http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?454-What-Are-Your-Other-Cars-(Current)

Washburn
03-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Coupe looks better than the sedan.
...every day :)

Marcus-SanDiego
03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Coupe looks better than the sedan.

Wash, let's not mention that. :biggrin

Washburn
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
oops :)

danewilson77
03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
All a matter of preference. I like all zhp's. Sedan works for me better.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

zhpnsnv
03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
My lifestyle doesn't warrant a sedan, even a little bit. I opted for the sedan for the reasons listed in the original post: I wanted the OG ZHP, and I wanted it in IR with Alcantara.

That said, I can understand how that sentiment isn't consistent everywhere. I think purely based on looks, the coupe looks better than the sedan, stock for stock. But I wanted a sedan, so that's what I bought, dammit!

Crickett
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I wanted the OG ZHP, and I wanted it in IR with Alcantara.
That is exactly the combo I feel is the quintessential ZHP: sedan, "motorsport-only" Imola, & ZHP-exclusive Alcantara. O. G.

johnrando
03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
That is exactly the combo I feel is the quintessential ZHP: sedan, "motorsport-only" Imola, & ZHP-exclusive Alcantara. O. G.

Hmmm, that just might be the quintessential ZHP. Mine is the best though! Just kidding, don't flame, I know to each his own. :-) John

kayger12
03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
It's interesting from my perspective.

I wanted an 05 or 06 ZHP with under 50k and some CPO time left.

I liked the look of the coupe better, but the sedan was more practical for me.

As strange as it may sound, it really didn't matter to me at all which one I ended up with.

Non-negotiables were 6MT, Jet Black, Sparkling Graphite, or Orient Blue, and alcantara.

In the end, destiny took me to a coupe...

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

pyreguy
03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I chose a sedan because IMO the E46 is the best looking sedan ever built. Anyone can make a hot looking coupe. Why waste all that effort on a mere coupe, when BMW took the time to perfect the 4dr platform?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Washburn
03-08-2011, 05:32 PM
:) "mere" coupes - I guess Aston Martin should ditch ALL their coupes (aren't they all coupes except 1 model perhaps, and IMO some of the best looking coupes ever) and start building only sedans?
j/k. I know 100% that it's a matter of preference - main thing we are happy with what we have. :)

Marcus-SanDiego
03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
j/k. I know 100% that it's a matter of preference - main thing we are happy with what we have. :)

Exactly. We're all part of a not so special car (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?983-Nough-Said-My-BMW-ZHP-Is-Not-Special-%28a-video-by-Kayger12%29). That's all that counts.

pyreguy
03-08-2011, 05:40 PM
:) "mere" coupes - :)
:biggrin

And no, everyone should keep building their sexy coupes. It's not like they're gonna be able to touch the style of an E46 sedan anyway. :)

But yeah, I definitely love all of our rides!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

az3579
03-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Sedan looks better than the coupe.

Fixed. :biggrin

:) "mere" coupes - I guess Aston Martin should ditch ALL their coupes (aren't they all coupes except 1 model perhaps, and IMO some of the best looking coupes ever) and start building only sedans?

Actually, all of the Astons look exactly the same, so in essence, you mean they should ditch their only coupe...

Even the "new" ones look almost exactly like the old ones. Honestly, I'm getting very bored with Aston Martin's styling.

johnrando
03-09-2011, 06:30 PM
"mere" coupe? oh man, stabbed in the back! lol

Mtnman
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Hahaha. This is a perfect example of why i love this place. Everyone chiming in and no one has their feelings hurt. This place is great. Oh, and sedansexxxineeeeeeesss ftw! (and ftbftw = for the baby, for the win!)

Acyd
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Truth be told i wanted a coupe. I love my sedan tho =)

MrMaico
03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Let me begin by stating that I have nothing but love & respect for all ZHPs & their pilots (except for MrMaico, you photo-contest-winning (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1557-Eye-Candy-%21%21%21%21WINNER-ANNOUNCED%21%21%21%21-First-Mafia-Photo-Contest%21) bastid! :)), as well as all our E46 & extended BMW family. So please don't misconstrue this as hate or disrespect. That said . . .

The 330i ZHP sedan is the best, truest ZHP of them all!

. . . in my opinion.

It's not that the coupe & 'vert are not ZHPs or are lesser ZHPs, it's just that the sedan was the original ZHP &, I believe, the reason the Performance Package was created: to fill the gap that was left by the decision to not have a four-door M3.

Before the ZHP, if you wanted a hot E46, you could have an M3 coupe, an M3 'vert, or — somewhat pitifully in comparison — a 330i, perhaps with the Sport Package to help make up some of the not-inconsiderable difference. I know, I know, the M3 in any form is worlds apart from the non-M E46s, in terms of performance, intent, & let's not forget $$$. But the sedan crowd was missing out. Enter option code "Z". "H". "P".

It's a fact that the Performance Package was first offered exclusively on sedans in '03. That says to me that the sedan was the target platform for which the ZHP treatment was conceived & intended. Making it available to the other body styles in the preceding years, while I'm certain made all kinds of business & marketing sense, feels to me somewhat like an afterthought.

Perhaps I'm thinking about it in the wrong way. Asking a coupe or 'vert ZHP owner why he didn't just opt for the M3 is probably ignoring all sorts of circumstances & very important reasons to not go the M route. But I just can't shake the feeling that the 330i ZHPs are the ZHPs, & all the others just wanted what it had.

In any case, I think everyone can agree that the Performance Package is a phenomenal addition to the base 330, no matter in what form you find it!

:grouphug

Thanks, somehow I missed the fact that I had won the photo contest. It was your post that brought it to my attention.

and.....ZHP Coupe FT(photo contest)W :biggrin

Pooters
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Haha, right on, Kayger.