PDA

View Full Version : Getting new shocks and struts - What else should I replace (@79k)?

Go Horns!
04-10-2015, 08:07 PM
My car is at 79,000 miles and has all of the original stock suspension components except for the FCABs, which were replaced with UUC gen2 at 47,000 miles. I do not hear clunking when driving over expansion joints or bumps. I do have some highway speed instability (nothing major, just a slight floaty feeling when hitting road imperfections at above 65 mph). And at lower speeds it feels like there is little to no dampening.

I'm replacing the stock shocks and struts with Koni yellows. Planning on reusing the ZHP springs because I do not want to get any lower (I would not be able to get in an out of the parking lot at work if I was any lower).

Along with shocks and struts, I'm planning on replacing the following:

strut mounts (OEM)
shock mounts (will probably use rogue engineering)
bump stops (OEM)
Upper and lower spring pads (OEM)
RTAB (will probably go urethane, just don't know which)

I'm considering doing the whole shebang and getting front control arms, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, tie rods, steering coupler, and all the associated hardware. But that kind of mission creep doubles the cost. And I'm not sure I'm going to have the car in a year (seriously considering a M2). So I would rather not replace suspension components that are going to last another 20,000 or more miles.

With all that said, is there anything else I should do?

ELCID86
04-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Looks like a pretty good list.

Simmsled
04-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Front and rear mount reinforcement plates!

The control arms are likely not necessary for quite some time (100k +)

The steering coupler absolutely!!!
It transformed my car that is 100% OE still @ 65k miles.
If you have to eat ramen noodles for a week to get it, DO IT!

NoVAphotog
04-14-2015, 02:54 PM
If you have to eat ramen noodles for a week to get it, DO IT!

:rofl

Sounds like one of my previous quips...

Simmsled
04-15-2015, 07:04 PM
:rofl

Sounds like one of my previous quips...

If the shoe fits!!!:happyspidey

The steering coupler is soooo underrated and under the radar that it makes me sick.
It should be up there with (and done at the same time as) FCABs.

Karl Lazlo
04-16-2015, 04:46 AM
Ordering a steering coupler today.

Simmsled
04-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Ordering a steering coupler today.

You won't be disappointed. Be prepared for-----> :jawdrop

ryankokesh
04-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Mmmm... ramen.... :drool

Smilez
04-16-2015, 08:35 AM
do i sell bilstein, koni, kyb :D

danewilson77
04-16-2015, 03:40 PM
do i sell bilstein, koni, kyb :D
This...

"No flamesuit required"

KevinC
04-16-2015, 06:47 PM
Steering coupler? aka Guibo?

BMWCurves
06-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Any updates, Go Horns?

I'm looking to go a similar route with stock ZHP springs and Koni Yellows (Sports) front and rear but trying to figure out what else I should do. Interested in what you ended up with and general thoughts.

Go Horns!
06-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Did everything I had listed and the steering coupler as well.

I have the Konis on their softest setting and the ride is no harsher than stock. The car handles a lot better now; bumps on the road do not cause it to get unsettled.

NoVAphotog
06-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Did everything I had listed and the steering coupler as well.

I have the Konis on their softest setting and the ride is no harsher than stock. The car handles a lot better now; bumps on the road do not cause it to get unsettled.

Any comments on steering coupler specifically or too much done at once improvements were all around so hard to tell?

Go Horns!
06-16-2015, 07:36 PM
My steering wasn't loose, but for only $50, I figured what the heck. The main problem I had was bumps upsetting the rear end of the car. And changing out the shocks and RTAB made a huge difference there.