PDA

View Full Version : 18x8/9 Hamann Motorsport PG1 fitment

fantinno
04-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Just wanted to post a thread to document the fitment on my new wheels and tires for anyone doing their own research.

Picked up a set of Hamann Motorsport PG1s a few months ago. These are OZ Pegasus, slightly modified for Hamann back in the mid-90s. Great looking wheels, forged construction with spun barrels. Not the lightest things around at 21-23lbs a corner, but not bad for 18s.

The centerbore on these is 72.6, and based on their offsets, I imagine they were built for an E36 or maybe an E34, I'm not sure. I refinished them in gold plastidip and gave the lips and hardware a good polish as the clearcoat had failed.

Despite having been built for another car, the fitment is spot on, almost like it was meant for an E46.

The specs are:

Front: 18x8 ET32 running 225/45/18 Michelin PSS
Rear: 18x9 ET46 running 255/40/18 Michelin PSS

Lowered on H&R sport springs and Koni Yellows

They fill out the fenders very nicely. My rears were already rolled for the 19x10 @ET42 I was running before, but I don't think rolling would have been necessary for these. I've had passengers in the car and there has been no rubbing even with spirited driving and on some pretty awful roads.

Brake clearance is pretty tight with these, especially in the rear where the backpad is practically non-existent, but the calipers still clear the faces by a couple mm's.

I love the ride and handling of the PSS. I had PSS on my 19s, but being on 18s is WAY more liveable for a daily. 19s were super rough, but the 18s honestly don't feel much worse ride-quality wise than my 17s. The tires are pretty meaty and I have no regrets. No tire stretch here, and none needed!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b593/fantinno/73E55F4F-D5BF-4E26-A0BC-0E79FE2C82A3_zpseommfwqt.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/fantinno/media/73E55F4F-D5BF-4E26-A0BC-0E79FE2C82A3_zpseommfwqt.jpg.html)

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b593/fantinno/BEED3802-B9CC-48A4-BB93-A2701BE30F55_zpszyl3aukx.jpg (http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/fantinno/media/BEED3802-B9CC-48A4-BB93-A2701BE30F55_zpszyl3aukx.jpg.html)

Hopefully this is informative for someone out there :)

slater
04-29-2015, 03:21 AM
the wheels look great! they definitely have a 90's vibe about them, but they look awesome on the E46 regardless!

your ride quality being good is likely due to the larger rubber - you're running M3 sizes, which i am also running on my 135M's, and the ride quality is very good. not to mention it looks nice and meaty!

how much rear fender work have you had done? it 'looks' like a lot from the pics. i am running 10mm spacers on my 135M's so i effectively have exactly the same rear fitment as you (18x8.5 ET40 - front is a little less aggressive at 18x8 ET37), but am still having some intermittent LR fender rubbing (less so after adjusting camber), which i want to alleviate by having the rear fenders rolled, but i don't want them to 'look' rolled, if you get my drift.

peter

fantinno
04-29-2015, 12:03 PM
how much rear fender work have you had done? it 'looks' like a lot from the pics

I rolled the inner lip pretty aggressively, it's not knife edged, but about 1/16-1/8" gap between the inner lip and outer fender. I tried to flare the fender out as little as possible, I think the outer fender surface is still pretty close to stock. If you put mine next to a stock one, I doubt you would see a difference unless you looked up inside the fender.

You could probably get away with a lot gentler of a roll. My old setup was 17mm further out in the rear and had 265/30/19 rubber... It needed the inner lip nearly flush to not rub all the time. I doubt the offset we are currently running would need even half as much to alleviate intermittent rubbing issues.

I had issues rubbing on the bracket that connects the bumper and fender together on my old wheels, but not so on these. I would still double check that you aren't making contact with that bracket just in case.

I think you're right about the tires. Going from 30 to 40 series rubber makes a big difference in comfort :)