PDA

View Full Version : Another (Slightly Different) Intake Question

anth
05-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently decided to purchase a long-tube intake for my ZHP. I bought it with the intention of having a bit more intake noise and knew that I shouldn't expect any HP gains, although if there were gains, then great.

The brand I went with is called Carbonio. Their BMW line was discontinued as they were acquired by APR to use their autoclave to produce Audi/VW parts full-time, and since they are local, I got the intake for $250 new, and the carbon work is gorgeous, although unnecessary obviously.

Instructions are here if you want an idea of how it looks/where it goes: http://www.carboniodirect.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/vinstall_bmwe46.pdf

Anyway - I think the setup should be similar to the old Dinan long-tube CAI, although the instructions don't call for any cutting of the brake duct so I don't see it being directly exposed to outside air.

This is my question - is there another opening that I hadn't considered that allows this intake to pull outside air?
If not I was thinking of cutting a hole in the top of the duct to at least provide an opening. The filter and tube are short enough that they sit just above the brake duct, while it seems like the Dinan is longer and sits at the same height as the brake duct.

Do you guys think that is my best bet at this point (cutting a hole in the duct), or is there another way that outside air is already getting in there?

Thanks
Anthony

Oli77
05-07-2015, 02:47 PM
I guess brake cooling may be partially attenuated on that side if you diverted fresh air away from its final destination.

If you don't track the car you may not care about loosing some brake cooling.

I'll bump this for you cause I am not sure.

CarbonZHP
05-07-2015, 05:45 PM
I recently had my bumper off, and Ive been considering extending my KN intake down there for a long time. If you look into our lower grill, you'll see about 3 inches on the left and right side are actually covered from the backside. This piece can actually be removed, and I really don't know why its there. Removing it will increase the actual air flow going through this grill. My idea would be to then duct a hose from he side nearest the intake filter and direct some air that way