PDA

View Full Version : Traction all over the place, wavetrac LSD installed

rkneeshaw
05-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Now this is fun.

Had a wavetrac installed with my stock 3.07 final drive (installing the ESS TS2 in a few weeks, should still be able to use first gear with that ratio) and a Z4 finned diff cover. The finned cover probably isn't necessary since the wavetrac doesnt have clutch packs generating all kinds of heat, but what the heck, it looks cool.

Well now my car grips the road like a mofo. From a standing start in the dry, I could drop the clutch at about 3k RPM and I"m breaking loose a wheel and not really going anywhere. Now, its raining out so its wet, and I'm having to rev up to 4k RPM and dropping it in order to get even a slight bit of wheel slippage... car squats, rear shifts out ever so slightly, I hook up, and I'm gone.... in the wet.

The difference in traction is quite surprising to me. I mean, I knew a LSD would help, but didn't realize just how much I must have been slipping a wheel before now. With both rear wheels chomping down, the car just launches.

And in the corners, there's just power, all day, at any time.

I'm very pleased.

I'd still like to test the one-wheel-zero-traction lock solution that the wavetrac is supposed to address, but I"m not sure how I'm going to test that without some snow or ice... suggestions welcome.

JB3
05-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Nice. I did the wet test with my Auburn Road Race LSD also. Spun some, but pulled dead straight. Even the spin itself was minimal. And that was on a car that ran a confirmed 11.0-flat at Rockingham.

LSDs make a huge difference.

blalor
05-12-2015, 02:21 AM
What was the cost to have it installed? Is it a DIY affair?

GoGators
05-12-2015, 02:39 AM
agree, grip is phenomenal. I put a wavetrac in 2500 miles ago. not sure if there is a problem with the LSD or install, though the unit was installed by a fairly reputable driveline shop... I have a distinct clunk noise, particularly bad when the vehicle is up to temperature... I drained the oil yesterday. it is cloudy and dark, almost a shiny black hue. no particles though. needless to say. not good. still trying to determine the problem, if yours starts to do the same thing... please let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWq_6lMz__4

cakM3
05-12-2015, 04:31 AM
I'd still like to test the one-wheel-zero-traction lock solution that the wavetrac is supposed to address, but I"m not sure how I'm going to test that without some snow or ice... suggestions welcome.

how about a patch of sand on one side?

GoGators
05-12-2015, 08:22 AM
due to angle of my driveway relative to street, and sway bars, I lift a rear wheel coming into the driveway. takes the LSD an instant, but then it powers the wheel on the ground.

rkneeshaw
05-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Sand might work.

GoGaters, an incline driveway is a good idea too.

I dont' have that clunk noise that you have.

I do have a very subtle "thump" noise that I can barely detect once in a while when at a stop light, radio off, clutch depressed, axles unloaded, and I put the transmission into first gear. I've done some research on it and apparently it is possible and sometimes common with helical LSD's. The large number of gears all have slight tolerances in there that add up to a slight bit of slack. I've seen reports of the exact same thing from Quaife and MFactory owners.

But, that clunk noise in your video is much different... I dont get any noises at all while driving... It's almost like it happens when you come off throttle? Any chance its a damaged CV joint in the half shafts? I've had half-shafts cause all kinds of weird noises and vibrations etc....

rkneeshaw
02-24-2016, 03:33 PM
So I finally had an opportunity present itself, and I took it

https://youtu.be/H3FTG0RVBJU

derbo
02-24-2016, 07:52 PM
great presentation video! :)

Vas
02-24-2016, 07:56 PM
Nice. Thanks for sharing

BimmerWill
03-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Interested in running an LSD, do these seem to be a fairly wallet conscious option?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 05:05 AM
I never saw a price posted. Do consider MFactory as Slater, Novaphotog and I have done. No complaints.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

BimmerWill
03-06-2016, 05:20 AM
I never saw a price posted. Do consider MFactory as Slater, Novaphotog and I have done. No complaints.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous
I will look into them, debating on going through the motor and supercharging or motor swap so LSD will def be in order. I had seen a while back some company had come up with a drop in part to make our factory diffs LSD, not sure what if anything ever came of it.

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 06:05 AM
I will look into them, debating on going through the motor and supercharging or motor swap so LSD will def be in order. I had seen a while back some company had come up with a drop in part to make our factory diffs LSD, not sure what if anything ever came of it.

There are 1-2 threads here with lots of input on the M/F LSD (in case you missed them).

---

BimmerWill
03-06-2016, 02:47 PM
There are 1-2 threads here with lots of input on the M/F LSD (in case you missed them).

---
I'll check them out thank you

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 05:09 PM
LSD types and brands (picking the right one)
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13858

Limited-Slip Differential FAQ
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15831

---