PDA

View Full Version : SoCal ZHPMafia Get-Together?

wertyu78
05-15-2015, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

I noticed that it's been quiet around this part of the forum lately. What are your thoughts on setting up a Get Together? :thumbsup. I'll come back to edit this post later this evening with some of the ideas I have in mind. I'm at work right now.

What do you folks think?

Update:

I figure we should get a list of people who would like to get together. Total number of attendees and their location will dictate what sort of get together we plan.

If you'd like to join in, just add yourself with the list with your city in parenthesis - like below:

1. wertyu78 (Long Beach)
2. wsmeyer (Redondo Beach)
3. TWong1200 (Corona)
4. johnrando (Manhattan Beach)
5. NorCalZman (Orange County)
6. WOLFN8TR (Las Vegas, NV) - tentative
7. Hermes (San Diego)
8. Terry (Southern Orange County) - for the morning, dependent on the date
9. Smilez (Corona, aka - "Orange County adjacent")

Once we have an idea on the amount of people and their location - we'll plan accordingly!

Update 2:

It's looking like there will be less than 10 total cars attending and John has offered that we could meet at his house. He has parking for several cars in his driveway and plenty on the street.

Some ideas for the event:

Maintenance (bring some tools, parts, and beer)
Detailing (not sure - we are in a drought..)
Cooking out (beer, food, and cars - hard to beat!)
K1 Speed for GoKart racing (get our driving fix)
Drinks on/at the beach (10 min from Johns - enjoy the sunset with good friends)

Update 3:

It's looking like Saturday, June 27th is going to be the best date (pending approval from Rando); it was voted on the most. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it (yeah, I know - I'm the guy coordinating this stuff). I have family coming into town in late June and will stay to mid-July; I just found out two days ago. Grreeeatt. It really threw my calendar for a loop but I'm happy to see them.

It's also looking like johnrando's place is going to be the place where this all happens. Thank you TWong1200 for offering up your place, maybe the second get together in August?

Here is the list of attendees thus far:

1. wertyu78 (Long Beach) - I might make it out there! Just depends
3. TWong1200 (Corona)
6. WOLFN8TR (Las Vegas, NV) - tentative
7. Hermes (San Diego)
8. Terry (Southern Orange County) - for the morning, dependent on the date
9. Smilez (Corona, aka - "Orange County adjacent")

Here is the short list of who is planning on doing what:

1) johnrando - fuel filter and baffle, maybe swap transmission and diff fluid (if I don't do it before), maybe install BBK, maybe install sway bars
2) NorCalZman - fuel filter, Fuel pump, OFHG, CCV, timing chain tensioner spring, install oil drain access door (finally)
3) wsmeyer - water pump, thermostat, and idler pulleys - may diff and tranny fluid

Add your name to the list above and we'll hammer out the small details over the weekend (address, schedule, etc).

wsmeyer
05-15-2015, 12:23 PM
K1 Speed would be cool.

Rando and I were going to plan a tranny diff fluid day soon.

TWong1200
05-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Count me in! As long as my schedule permits, I'm game.

johnrando
05-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Traditionally tough to get SoCal meets but not impossible. I'd be up for something.

Sent from mobile

NorCalZman
05-15-2015, 03:27 PM
I would like to meet everyone at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wertyu78
05-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Hey everybody. Sorry for the delay. Things have been a bit hectic here. Nonetheless, I did not forget about this thread. I figure we should get a list of people who would like to get together. Total number of attendees and their location will dictate what sort of get together we plan.

If you'd like to join in, just add yourself with the list with your city in parenthesis - like below:

1. wertyu78 (Long Beach)
3. TWong1200 (city?)

Once we have an idea on the amount of people and their location - we'll plan accordingly!

TWong1200
05-18-2015, 08:50 PM
1. wertyu78 (Long Beach)
3. TWong1200 (Corona)

WOLFN8TR
05-19-2015, 07:35 AM
I will be down in Cali a few times in June, I might be able to attend.

johnrando
05-19-2015, 08:05 AM
So, I have a long driveway but not all the tools (just some basic ones). If someone wants to bring tools, we can do some maintenance work at my place and combine with either a K1 Speed outing (about 10-15 mins from my house) or just grab a drink at the beach (about 10 minutes away) after. Or, no maint. and just get together.

Pic from a prev. maint get together to give you an idea. I can park 2 more behind them and then plenty of street parking too.

wertyu78
05-19-2015, 12:52 PM
So, I have a long driveway but not all the tools (just some basic ones). If someone wants to bring tools, we can do some maintenance work at my place and combine with either a K1 Speed outing (about 10-15 mins from my house) or just grab a drink at the beach (about 10 minutes away) after. Or, no maint. and just get together.

Pic from a prev. maint get together to give you an idea. I can park 2 more behind them and then plenty of street parking too.

John, thanks for offering your place for us to meet. I think this will work well if the number of attendees stays relatively low. I'm sure others could bring their tools to offer should we decide to do some maintenance. Drinks on/at the beach sound great, too. K1 is a great idea (before the drinks, hehe).

It should be safe to assume that we want to make this an all day event. Maybe we could even incorporate rolling out a grill and cooking out. It's a shame we are in a drought... we could have made it a detail day - my car needs it....

wertyu78
05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Update 2:

It's looking like there will be less than 10 total cars attending and John has offered that we could meet at his house. He has parking for several cars in his driveway and plenty on the street.

Some ideas for the event:

Maintenance (bring some tools, parts, and beer)
Detailing (not sure - we are in a drought..)
Cooking out (beer, food, and cars - hard to beat!)
K1 Speed for GoKart racing (get our driving fix)
Drinks on/at the beach (10 min from Johns - enjoy the sunset with good friends)

johnrando
05-19-2015, 01:00 PM
I have a gas grill as well. I do have the basic tools, but more would be needed for bigger things.

wsmeyer
05-19-2015, 01:14 PM
I have enough tools to tackle anything but can realistically only work on one car at a time.

NorCalZman
05-21-2015, 09:47 AM
I have a few tools and some pretty trick 2 piece ramps I can bring.

I have a a few things I want to tackle. I want to do my fuel filter and fuel pump for sure. I know I can do that without any help really as long as I have space.

Things I would LIKE to do but would not try without some major assistance on would be Oil Filter Housing Gasket and CCV (I hear theyre much easier when done together).

Things I have done myself that I can help someone else on with the right tools are intake boots, DISA, alarm install, replacement of X3 blower motor, certain cooling system work, reprogramming the temperature gauge.

Are you thinking about any dates yet?

johnrando
05-21-2015, 10:11 AM
I have 2 ramps and 4 jack stands, and can help with the CCV and OFHG (recently did mine). We definitely have the space. If we do those things, then it pretty much would be a maintenance meet, not the other "fun, extra" stuff as those are long (not intense, but long) jobs. I'm totally happy to have just a maintenance meet. Feel free to throw out dates.

NorCalZman
05-21-2015, 10:22 AM
I have 2 ramps and 4 jack stands, and can help with the CCV and OFHG (recently did mine). We definitely have the space. If we do those things, then it pretty much would be a maintenance meet, not the other "fun, extra" stuff as those are long (not intense, but long) jobs. I'm totally happy to have just a maintenance meet. Feel free to throw out dates.

Ok if you have experience with the OFHG and CCV then I will order both. I already have my fuel filter and pump. And this is all IF we do a maintanence meet/BBQ. If people would like to do something else Im totally cool with that too.

Is there a way to turn the thread into a vote thing so we can list 4 or 5 weekends and vote on them? My june is pretty open except I would prefer not to do it the weekend of the 12th.

johnrando
05-21-2015, 10:29 AM
Click "Thread Tools" above the solid color bar above the thread text, and select "add a poll to this thread"

wertyu78
05-21-2015, 11:14 AM
I have a gas grill as well. I do have the basic tools, but more would be needed for bigger things.

I have enough tools to tackle anything but can realistically only work on one car at a time.

I'll bring my own tools as well. The gas grill should come in handy. If we end up doing maintenance most of the day (which it sounds like is going to happen), then we can pickup some food from the local grocery store and have a small cookout.

I'll also bring my laptop and cable for anyone that would like any programming/coding done.

I have a few tools and some pretty trick 2 piece ramps I can bring.

I have a a few things I want to tackle. I want to do my fuel filter and fuel pump for sure. I know I can do that without any help really as long as I have space.

Things I would LIKE to do but would not try without some major assistance on would be Oil Filter Housing Gasket and CCV (I hear theyre much easier when done together).

Things I have done myself that I can help someone else on with the right tools are intake boots, DISA, alarm install, replacement of X3 blower motor, certain cooling system work, reprogramming the temperature gauge.

Are you thinking about any dates yet?

I've posted a poll at the top of the thread with some dates. I can add/change dates - feel free to offer input

You're the man. Dates posted in a poll at the top of this thread.

Ok if you have experience with the OFHG and CCV then I will order both. I already have my fuel filter and pump. And this is all IF we do a maintanence meet/BBQ. If people would like to do something else Im totally cool with that too.

Is there a way to turn the thread into a vote thing so we can list 4 or 5 weekends and vote on them? My june is pretty open except I would prefer not to do it the weekend of the 12th.

Poll is at the top of the thread! We will be able to tackle all of the above. My two least favorite jobs on the E46 would be CCV and OFHG, hehe.

Click "Thread Tools" above the solid color bar above the thread text, and select "add a poll to this thread"

Done!

johnrando
05-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Any of those work for me. I'll check schedule in more detail and pick one. We should also start a maintenance list. I've got a ton of things I want to do so I'll list them all but what we actually do would vary depending on what needs to be done.

1) johnrando - fuel filter and baffle, maybe swap transmission and diff fluid (if I don't do it before), maybe install BBK, maybe install sway bars

NorCalZman
05-21-2015, 12:11 PM
2) NorCalZman - fuel filter, Fuel pump, OFHG, CCV, timing chain tensioner spring, install oil drain access door (finally)

Ive been digging through threads.....To save time do any of you have a list of the part numbers for the CCV stuff and OFHG saved conveniently?

Smilez
05-21-2015, 12:16 PM
ALL IN FOR SOME K1

just saying

Terry
05-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for linking me to the thread, Wertyu78!

I would love to join and should be able to attend for the morning depending on the date.

1. wertyu78 (Long Beach)
3. TWong1200 (Corona)
6. Terry (Southern Orange County)

Smilez
05-21-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm like the only one in the IE

wsmeyer
05-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Corona's not IE?

Smilez
05-21-2015, 05:01 PM
thats border line OC lol

TWong1200
05-21-2015, 05:57 PM
LMAO.... Still IE, although I may as well move to the OC since I'm always there. Corona is the Western most city of Riverside County.

wsmeyer
05-21-2015, 06:04 PM
"Orange County Adjacent"

johnrando
05-21-2015, 08:03 PM
lol

Hermes
05-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Maybe I'll drive up in the 320

Edit: looks like I've already been added to the list, hahaha

Smilez
05-22-2015, 05:04 AM
LMAO.... Still IE, although I may as well move to the OC since I'm always there. Corona is the Western most city of Riverside County.

Yeah i think most Corona people were from OC or work in OC

johnrando
05-22-2015, 05:56 AM
ALL IN FOR SOME K1

just saying

Sounds good. And, free coilovers for all attendees! :rofl

Hermes
05-22-2015, 06:06 AM
John, is the K1 by you the one that has the Euro S50 sitting on a tire? I know Boris has his engine sitting at one of the locations

wertyu78
05-22-2015, 07:13 AM
I'm like the only one in the IE

I'm sorry.

"Orange County Adjacent"

this made me lol.

Maybe I'll drive up in the 320

Edit: looks like I've already been added to the list, hahaha

Lol, yeah. I took the liberty of adding you to the list...

Smilez
05-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Sounds good. And, free coilovers for all attendees! :rofl

MAYBE free install with a purchase of a coilovers set.

just bring me some beer to power up. :shifty

Smilez
05-22-2015, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry.

this made me lol.

Lol, yeah. I took the liberty of adding you to the list...

me too :rofl:

wertyu78
05-22-2015, 08:05 AM
MAYBE free install with a purchase of a coilovers set.

just bring me some beer to power up. :shifty

Bring some lug stud kits and spacers! I want to play with fitment. I'll buy what ends up looking the best!

wsmeyer
05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Here's the deal. I have a townhouse with a 2 car garage, wide open with plenty of room to access all sides of one car at a time, all the tools we need and excellent lighting. The driveway though is common area so we can't park cars there without being in other peoples way. I also live on a hill so while there's plenty of street parking it's not practical to work on cars out there.

Rando has a 2 car garage but only one side free so we work on cars in the driveway. It's narrow but long and flat, you could fit 3 if not 4 cars on it front to back. He has enough tools for maintenance but any repairs you'll have to plan ahead what you'll need.

Given that what might work best:

Before lunch -> repairs, hang out beers at my place

Lunch and or K1 Speed

After Lunch -> maintenance, hang out, beers at Rando's house

TWong1200
05-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Damn....i wish I could fully commit to either of those days. I'd offer up my place. Plenty of space, full of tools to do almost anything, two car garage, long and wide driveway that can hold 4-6 cars, a BBQ island and a pool in the backyard. This summer is just super busy for me with kid's sports, big Disney vacation planned, etc.

johnrando
05-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Wow, nice place... that pool looks inviting! Your idea sounds good William. We can do it all at your place if you want. I'm flexible.

WOLFN8TR
05-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Guys I will do my best to make it down. I will drive the M3 down! :thumbsup

wsmeyer
05-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I need to do water pump, thermostat and idler pulleys. I also want to do fluid flush in tranny and diff. Fluids I already have, parts should be here next week.

NorCalZman
05-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Funny, I was just looking at ordering my parts as well.

11421719855 - Oil Filter housing Gasket

CCV
11617501566 - oil separator
11611432559 - valve cover to separator tube
11617504535 - intake manifold to separator tube
11157532649 - oil dipstick drain tube
11617504536 - intake manifold return tube

For those that did their CCV, did you also install the updated oil dipstick tube as well? Im seeing some threads where its suggested. (part number: 11437565437)

wsmeyer
05-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Both Rando and I did the cold weather CCV kit as it was nominal difference but balked at the price of the newer dipstick. Also, neither of us had any buildup in the dipstick

NorCalZman
05-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Ok thanks. I'll skip the dipstick and order the cold weather version.

johnrando
05-27-2015, 06:54 AM
If you do the cold weather version you have to take off the manifold, so you have room to install. Not a big deal, just extra work.

Sent from mobile

NorCalZman
05-27-2015, 08:10 AM
If you do the cold weather version you have to take off the manifold, so you have room to install. Not a big deal, just extra work.

Sent from mobile

Really? Is that absolutely necessary even with removing the OFH and everything else? I don't want us to have to take off the manifold. We all have other stuff to work on that day. If that is really the case then my car has been okay with the standard version so far.

johnrando
05-27-2015, 08:21 AM
It's really tight down there with the manifold on and the std CCV, it would be ridiculously hard to put a cold CCV on w/o removing the manifold. I don't know that it's impossible, but you'd have a hell of a time doing it for sure if you can.

Sent from mobile

wsmeyer
05-27-2015, 09:06 AM
When we did Rando's and mine we didn't try very hard to do it without removing the manifold as we both had a fair amount of oil down there that we wanted to clean and that's a lot easier with the manifold out. Besides, once you have the old CCV off it only takes about 10 minutes to get the manifold off.

NorCalZman
05-27-2015, 09:12 AM
It's really tight down there with the manifold on and the std CCV, it would be ridiculously hard to put a cold CCV on w/o removing the manifold. I don't know that it's impossible, but you'd have a hell of a time doing it for sure if you can.

Sent from mobile

When we did Rando's and mine we didn't try very hard to do it without removing the manifold as we both had a fair amount of oil down there that we wanted to clean and that's a lot easier with the manifold out. Besides, once you have the old CCV off it only takes about 10 minutes to get the manifold off.

Okay. You guys know what you are doing. I haven't done anything remotely like that on an engine before. Do I need to buy anything else besides the CCV stuff and the oil filter housing gasket? Like a gasket for the manifold or something?

wsmeyer
05-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Rando and I are both ~ 60k miles and our intake gaskets were still pliable and hadn't deformed so we reused them. Since they aren't exposed to oil or fuel I wouldn't doubt if they lasted forever.

If you want to clean the engine while it's exposed you'll need some engine degreaser and Simple Green.

Carb cleaner to clean your throttle body and ICV

We need to remove this piece which notorious for breaking: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/13327503677/ES33009/

I'll look under the hood and see if I can think of more

NorCalZman
05-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Rando and I are both ~ 60k miles and our intake gaskets were still pliable and hadn't deformed so we reused them. Since they aren't exposed to oil or fuel I wouldn't doubt if they lasted forever.

If you want to clean the engine while it's exposed you'll need some engine degreaser and Simple Green.

Carb cleaner to clean your throttle body and ICV

We need to remove this piece which notorious for breaking: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/13327503677/ES33009/

I'll look under the hood and see if I can think of more

Ok Ill pick up some of that stuff. I already have the F connector. I did my intake boots last year and didn't break my old one. Ill see if I can find the spare.

BRGcoopahS
06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
This meet up is making me want to go back to the best coast already!!! Cant wait till I'm a part of the SoCal area.

wsmeyer
06-03-2015, 04:04 PM
I got the remainder of my parts today so I'm ready to go

WOLFN8TR
06-03-2015, 05:44 PM
What weekend is everyone meeting up?

NorCalZman
06-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I voted for the end of the month but not sure if the vote was finished. My parts are still on order.

wertyu78
06-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Hey everyone. I apologize for my absence. I'm at work right now and can't spend too much time on the forums, but I'll get back to this thread this evening to coordinate further.

TTYS

wertyu78
06-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Update:

It's looking like Saturday, June 27th is going to be the best date(pending approval from Rando); it was voted on the most. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it (yeah, I know - I'm the guy coordinating this stuff). I have family coming into town in late June and will stay to mid-July; I just found out two days ago. Grreeeatt. It really threw my calendar for a loop but I'm happy to see them.

It's also looking like johnrando's place is going to be the place where this all happens. Thank you TWong1200 for offering up your place, maybe the second get together in August?

Here is the short list of who is planning on doing what:

3) wsmeyer - water pump, thermostat, and idler pulleys - may diff and tranny fluid

Add your name to the list above and we'll hammer out the small details over the weekend (address, schedule, etc).

WOLFN8TR
06-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Ok Cool, I might be able to make it down on the 27th. I can help with maintenance on some ZHP's! The M3 doesn't need anything at the moment.

NorCalZman
06-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Update:

It's looking like Saturday, June 27th is going to be the best date; it was voted on the most. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it (yeah, I know - I'm the guy coordinating this stuff). I have family coming into town in late June and will stay to mid-July; I just found out two days ago. Grreeeatt. It really threw my calendar for a loop but I'm happy to see them.

You couldn't come for a few hours? Wont it be held in your town even?

wertyu78
06-05-2015, 09:45 AM
You couldn't come for a few hours? Wont it be held in your town even?

I certainly plan on coming out in the morning but I don't want to completely commit just yet.

wsmeyer
06-05-2015, 09:50 AM
I didn't vote on a date because my wife basically has plans for every weekend so it's a matter of you guys picking and then I'll move stuff around to make that work.

Rando, does the 27th work for you?

***Edit

I didn't realize I could view poll results without voting.

johnrando
06-05-2015, 12:54 PM
That works for me, or we can push it until we can all make it. No reason to hold to that date, William and I might do some preliminary work separately and we can just post to let people know informally they can come by.

Sent from mobile

Hermes
06-05-2015, 05:11 PM
John, you have my number. Text me if you need help

wsmeyer
06-06-2015, 08:01 AM
I think instead of trying to wait for that perfect date that everyone can make we should just try and do these more often.

My idler is to the point where I have to spray it with WD40 every few days to stop the squealing so I've moved my schedule around and freed up the entire day of the 27th.

I've also got an oil leak in the X5 that I'm going to tackle tomorrow if anyone wants to come by

NorCalZman
06-06-2015, 08:17 AM
I agree. More maintenance/event days are always welcome. Everyone will always have a list of things to do to their car and others (hopefully) willing to help them out. Some people can go to one and others to another.

I should have my parts by June 27th. I'm really hoping after we replace the CCV and OFHG this at least reduces my not excessive but still unwanted oil consumption.

I'm having the engine bay cleaned today also, so it will be a little less gross for us as we remove everything.

EDIT: dang it. They cleaned the engine bay but put armor all the top of the engine. UGH.

johnrando
06-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Ok, 27th it is. I'll come by today William, texted you.

Sent from mobile

wsmeyer
06-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Tomorrow, Sunday I'll be working on the X5.

johnrando
06-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Ah, gotcha

Sent from mobile

UdubBadger
06-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Of course you guys do this the week before I'm in Cali lol

WOLFN8TR
06-10-2015, 03:47 AM
Of course you guys do this the week before I'm in Cali lol

I'm sure we could change it. [emoji2]

UdubBadger
06-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Your call. I'm stuck in SD from 7/1 - 7/6 and without a car so don't go planning around me. Was just saying it would be nice to see y'all is all.

WOLFN8TR
06-10-2015, 06:10 AM
Oh SD. That's like 2 hours from Johns I do believe.

UdubBadger
06-10-2015, 06:22 AM
About an hour but yeah

johnrando
06-10-2015, 06:26 AM
A good 90 minutes for sure to "north" San Diego/outside cities, add another 30 for actual SD. Sorry we'll miss you Seth.

Hermes
06-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Your call. I'm stuck in SD from 7/1 - 7/6 and without a car so don't go planning around me. Was just saying it would be nice to see y'all is all.

Let me know when you get to town, hopefully I'll have time to meet up with you

UdubBadger
06-10-2015, 07:58 AM
A good 90 minutes for sure to "north" San Diego/outside cities, add another 30 for actual SD. Sorry we'll miss you Seth.

Damn... shut down lol

johnrando
06-10-2015, 10:00 AM
lol

wertyu78
06-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Damn... shut down lol

HA! That's what I thought.

So fellas, what day are you thinking? The 27th has four votes...

NorCalZman
06-11-2015, 10:31 AM
My parts will be here next Tuesday.

wsmeyer
06-11-2015, 10:56 AM
HA! That's what I thought.

So fellas, what day are you thinking? The 27th has four votes...

Five votes now

NorCalZman
06-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Parts arrived today. I'm ready, eager, and anxious to do this. I added half a quart a week ago and it's already asking for another half quart.

johnrando
06-18-2015, 06:10 AM
OK, since there are just 3 of us we can do the work at William's. I have more driveway space but he has all the tools. I'll swing by his place early and we are going to change the diff and trans fluids on both cars, and then move on to the other stuff. William, what time should you and I start and what time would you be able to get there Norcalzman? Finally, William, please provide your address to him, and norcalzman, please PM us your cell #.

I'm going over to Hieu's on Saturday and we're doing my sway bars and installing the Dynavin.

fredo
06-18-2015, 06:23 AM
It's Dynavin time ! I remember we talked about it last December. :biggrin

johnrando
06-18-2015, 06:27 AM
lol, good memory Fredo. Yup, THAT one, it IS about time. :)

NorCalZman
06-18-2015, 07:53 AM
I can arrive anytime on the 27th. I'm free all day so just say when you guys are going to be around.

Only 3? I thought like 5+ people were going to show up.

johnrando
06-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Werty is iffy, and only 3 people signed up for maint, so I'm going with that. Anyone is welcome of course.

wsmeyer
06-18-2015, 08:37 AM
I usually get started around 10 but whatever works for everyone is fine.

Timing chain tensioner spring?

I don't know anything about that but I have a Bentley manual and TIS so I'm sure we can figure it out

NorCalZman
06-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Timing chain tensioner spring?

I don't know anything about that but I have a Bentley manual and TIS so I'm sure we can figure it out

Ah thats minor. A few minutes to change. I will do that myself at the end of the day if we have finished everything else on my and other people's cars.

johnrando
06-18-2015, 08:40 AM
Phew! :biggrin I had no idea either. See you at 10 William.

WOLFN8TR
06-18-2015, 04:03 PM
You guys are meeting up this weekend? I thought it was next weekend?

johnrando
06-19-2015, 07:22 AM
it's actually next weekend, are you coming? My family will be out of town so you can stay at my place.

WOLFN8TR
06-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Ah Ha sounds good! Ya I was planning on coming down.

NorCalZman
06-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Ah Ha sounds good! Ya I was planning on coming down.

Nice of you to drive all that way to help us out and get your hands dirty.

wsmeyer
06-20-2015, 09:13 AM
T minus 7 days

:thumbup

WOLFN8TR
06-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Update: We drove down to Temecula yesterday. My Apryl's grandma is turning 90 and her mom planned this big surprise party for her. Everyone from all over are flying and driving in to attend. We left Las Vegas at 9:30 and got to Temecula at 4:30! This drive usually takes 4 hours. When we hit Cojon Pass the traffic was stopped and crawling at 10 mph! Grid lock all the way down and up from Glenn Helen raceway. Got going 60mph then stopped again at Corona for another 20 miles crawling at 10mph! Reason was construction all the way up Cojon Pass and Corona area. So unfortunately I will not be driving down thru that BS again next weekend. I can't even tell you how much it sucked idling in 105 degree 10 mph traffic!

Sorry guys as I was really looking forward to seeing everyone.

NorCalZman
06-21-2015, 09:25 AM
When were you thinking of coming down? Night or mornings shouldn't be that congested, or hot, right?

sillieidiot
06-21-2015, 09:43 AM
screw going back. just stay here for the whole week lol problem solved.

WOLFN8TR
06-21-2015, 10:13 AM
When were you thinking of coming down? Night or mornings shouldn't be that congested, or hot, right?

screw going back. just stay here for the whole week lol problem solved.

I was talking to her dad about the trip back (which I'm dreading) on what time would be good to leave on Monday. He had heard the construction is both ways on Cojon Pass and it's always a mess. The 215 is also under construction. I'm thinking of leaving around 8pm on Monday and see if it's any better. Considering taking the 10 all the way to Blythe then up thru Needles to Las Vegas just to avoid all that mess. :facepalm

I would stay over but the wife has to work on Tuesday and I have my 4 yr old daughter with me. Oh and Heui I still have your fender roller.

sillieidiot
06-21-2015, 04:36 PM
I was talking to her dad about the trip back (which I'm dreading) on what time would be good to leave on Monday. He had heard the construction is both ways on Cojon Pass and it's always a mess. The 215 is also under construction. I'm thinking of leaving around 8pm on Monday and see if it's any better. Considering taking the 10 all the way to Blythe then up thru Needles to Las Vegas just to avoid all that mess. :facepalm

I would stay over but the wife has to work on Tuesday and I have my 4 yr old daughter with me. Oh and Heui I still have your fender roller.

lol yeah i know. No worries, just bring it whenever. It's not like I need it or anything.

johnrando
06-22-2015, 09:46 AM
I don't blame you at all Gary... that is painful to drive through. Sorry we'll miss you.

WOLFN8TR
06-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Ya it does. I was looking forward to coming down and seeing everyone. Maybe I will fly down! [emoji2]

UdubBadger
06-23-2015, 07:47 AM
If any of you guys wanna make a trip down to SD for an afternoon for a photoshoot let me know, I'll honor the same pricing I did for the mafia meet. $60 for 1 commercially lit photo or $100 for 3, fully edited high res images.

I'm there July 1st thru 6th

GoingHAM mobile

wertyu78
06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
If any of you guys wanna make a trip down to SD for an afternoon for a photoshoot let me know, I'll honor the same pricing I did for the mafia meet. $60 for 1 commercially lit photo or $100 for 3, fully edited high res images.

GoingHAM mobile

You should meetup with JP and grab a drink. You'd probably really enjoy taking a tour around LJI, too.... JP, you there? Chime in!

WOLFN8TR
06-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Well we waited until 8pm to head home lastnight and the traffic going up Cojon pass at 9pm was flowing but it was gridlock from Hesperia all the down to Glen Helen! Crazy.

Here's some pics from Saturday heading to Temecula.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/23/ecc3c932d731956ffdd8085989c255d3.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/23/2aa82a2b1de13b2c2b1e6868151564a4.jpg

ecrabb
06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
What are you driving there, Gary? I don't recognize the hood vents. Whatever it is, it's big! You're towering over even that X3.

SC

UdubBadger
06-23-2015, 12:32 PM
I know it's not but reminds me a bit of the old 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee

GoingHAM mobile

johnrando
06-23-2015, 01:29 PM
JP and Seth discussed this already. BTW Seth, nice offer. Let me figure out if that could work out.

UdubBadger
06-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Ok I'll find out days when unavailable. I know 2nd is out as that's my actually anniversary.

GoingHAM mobile

WOLFN8TR
06-23-2015, 03:23 PM
What are you driving there, Gary? I don't recognize the hood vents. Whatever it is, it's big! You're towering over even that X3.

SC

It's my 2500HD.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/23/bb491e6e6f00caa11b1a8e0cac75c14a.jpg

danewilson77
06-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Mmmm. Me like truck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

ecrabb
06-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Ahhh, those were the vents on the Duramax hood.

I knew that thing was riding high!

Very nice!

SC

WOLFN8TR
06-24-2015, 03:49 AM
Mmmm. Me like truck.

LoL...[emoji41]

UdubBadger
06-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Jesus, that's your road trip car???

GoingHAM mobile

wsmeyer
06-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Jesus, that's your road trip car???

Probably get better mileage than my X5 4.8

WOLFN8TR
06-24-2015, 10:57 AM
I wanted to take the M3 but my wife suggested the truck because of the flip down DVD screen in the back so my daughter can watch movies. I watched Frozen 3 times and Big Hero Six 3 times this past weekend. [emoji15]

Surprisingly it gets 16.5 mpg on road trips doing 80-85mph. Not bad.

NorCalZman
06-24-2015, 11:50 AM
The address will be sent before Saturday right?

I got some GREAT news this morning. I am getting promoted! What better way to celebrate than making some new friends and working on cars. haha.

wsmeyer
06-24-2015, 12:01 PM

I got some GREAT news this morning. I am getting promoted! What better way to celebrate than making some new friends and working on cars. haha.

Excellent news on the promotion!

My address is in the member contact thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6749-Member-contact-information

I'm planning on getting started on mine ~9am. Rando usually gets out of bed and comes over around 10.

I've got a BBQ, a smoker, some beers and plenty of room in the fridge for more. Also just a couple blocks from the grocery store.

WOLFN8TR
06-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Congrats Man!!! :party

johnrando
06-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Congrats Norcalzman. William, lol. I'm actually up very early, so anytime is good for me. I'll be there at 9. So I guess that settles it and we're working at your house. Works for me (no pun intended).

Pip
06-26-2015, 06:11 AM
Too bad this is 1-1:30 hours away from Granada Hills. I'll be there this weekend for family stuff so probably wouldn't have been able to get away regardless but it's nice to think I would have.

wsmeyer
06-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Too bad this is 1-1:30 hours away from Granada Hills. I'll be there this weekend for family stuff so probably wouldn't have been able to get away regardless but it's nice to think I would have.

The more the merrier but I totally understand how hard it is to break away from family sometimes.

Pretty sure Granada Hills is about 45min plus traffic which can vary tremendously.

NorCalZman
06-26-2015, 09:44 AM
ok car is washed to minimize us getting diry touching it.

And another thing to add to the list. This is driving me absolutely nuts as its the only noise in the cabin now: this week some kind of rattle started and it seems to be coming from the rear passenger-side door or something very close to it. After we finish everything if someone can hop in back as we go for a ride we can find and fix it that would be great.

WOLFN8TR
06-26-2015, 03:10 PM
I bet it's the radio antenna nut wiggled loose. It's right behind the C pillar on the drivers side.

NorCalZman
06-26-2015, 03:21 PM
I bet it's the radio antenna nut wiggled loose. It's right behind the C pillar on the drivers side.

Its definitely not the drivers side. Its coming from the passenger side, like something inside the rear passenger side door.

wertyu78
06-27-2015, 09:18 AM
I'll be heading that way shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCalZman
06-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Big thanks to John, Wyatt, and William for your help.

The car purred all the way back to Irvine, and feels better than ever. Really impressed with what a difference the CCV and fuel pump/filter made. Wow. And Wyatt, I didn't notice my "whine" at all! Its too soon to say its gone but tonight I didn't hear it. Anyway, post some of those pictures up!

we didn't get to the rear door rattle (we were all too exhausted). Something to keep on my list for our next maintenance day.

Hermes
06-28-2015, 06:39 AM

GoingHAM mobile

Seth, I don't care about my cars but let me ask Carl if he wants new pics of the CSL or some of his other cars. I'll let you know

johnrando
06-28-2015, 07:36 AM
Big thanks to John, Wyatt, and William for your help.

The car purred all the way back to Irvine, and feels better than ever. Really impressed with what a difference the CCV and fuel pump/filter made. Wow. And Wyatt, I didn't notice my "whine" at all! Its too soon to say its gone but tonight I didn't hear it. Anyway, post some of those pictures up!

we didn't get to the rear door rattle (we were all too exhausted). Something to keep on my list for our next maintenance day.

You're welcome. Glad that worked out, it's such a difference, isn't it? Great to meet you and Wyatt. It was a fun, long day. I only have a few shots as Wyatt took most. Plus, we forgot the shot of our cars! 2 silver sedans and 2 black verts, nice combo. Pic of me in the car working the gears, William and Wyatt filling the transmission fluid.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/28/f886816cb31d7ebb15ac3dca615d852c.jpg

UdubBadger
06-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Seth, I don't care about my cars but let me ask Carl if he wants new pics of the CSL or some of his other cars. I'll let you know

Ok my availability is fairly limited now I guess Casey has us shooting a bunch but I'll see what we can do.

However, price might be a little higher if it's not a mafia member. I'm only willing to work that cheap for the family.

GoingHAM mobile

Hermes
06-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Ok my availability is fairly limited now I guess Casey has us shooting a bunch but I'll see what we can do.

However, price might be a little higher if it's not a mafia member. I'm only willing to work that cheap for the family.

GoingHAM mobile

Sounds fine, the bigger issue at the moment is if he feels like pulling cars out of the showroom because it's a bit like jenga over there. I'll let you know

WOLFN8TR
06-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Nice Pic! Need more pics...:foottap

johnrando
06-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Lol. Wyatt had an SLR so he has most of the shots. We did William's cooling system refresh, my diff/Trans fluids and completed a sway bar install, and Antone's CCV/OFHG, fuel pump and filter.

sent from mobile device

wertyu78
06-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Lol. Wyatt had an SLR so he has most of the shots. We did William's cooling system refresh, my diff/Trans fluids and completed a sway bar install, and Antone's CCV/OFHG, fuel pump and filter.

sent from mobile device

I'm planning on having free time to upload the photos tonight - I'll be home around 4:30p. I don't have very many photos, though. I was using a 50mm prime lens (on a cropped sensor cam) - doesn't work so well in a tight garage!

johnrando
06-29-2015, 08:50 AM
No worries Wyatt. All good, you earned your keep turning wrenches! :biggrin All that hard work is appreciated.

wertyu78
06-29-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking a major detailing session for the next get together.... your thoughts?

NorCalZman
06-29-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking a major detailing session for the next get together.... your thoughts?

that sounds great! I dont know much about detailing so would love to learn. you thinking like washes, clay bars, polishings? etc

wertyu78
06-29-2015, 02:21 PM
that sounds great! I dont know much about detailing so would love to learn. you thinking like washes, clay bars, polishings? etc

Like your car needs it..... It's mint!

I'm thinking:

Exterior: Wheels off cleaning (Sonax Full Effect), wash (dawn dish soap for stripping), clay (chemical guys clay), wash (shampoo), polish, seal, treat trim, and wax.

Interior: Thorough vacuuming (remove seats?), carpet extractor, scrub all trim with 1Z einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner, treat plastics with 303 aerospace, Sonax Alcantara cleaner on the seats, and air freshener.

NorCalZman
06-29-2015, 02:25 PM
haha well I still want to be included :-P

That sounds great.

johnrando
06-29-2015, 02:27 PM
Like that idea. My car Def needs a detail but I don't really know that much about it nor have the stuff to do it.

sent from mobile device

GotZHP
02-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Add me in as attending please. I will be settled into Irvine / Orange County by June / July. As for work needing to be done, this depends on how my next few months go.

At this moment car needs = Oil Filter housing gasket, New pulleys, New belts, All new cooling system, new battery, new spark plugs, Vanos seals, New suspension, and I need to hunt down a vacuum leak. Long list. I know all of this won't be done, so depending on the experience of others and tools available, I'll have an item or two to work on. This is my first BMW, so while I have a lot of car maintenance experience, I'm just getting my feet wet with the ZHP and BMW

johnrando
02-26-2016, 02:07 PM
We can do a separate session for work on your car if you want. BTW, this post was from last year. We are working on setting something up this year, but not an "all day" session, which yours would have to be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wsmeyer
02-26-2016, 02:57 PM
I still have my VANOS kit to install as well

johnrando
02-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Oh I definitely smell a dual VANOS (pun intended) working session at Williams. :)

GotZHP
02-26-2016, 05:46 PM
lol didn't know the thread was a year old. NECRO'D

NorCalZman
02-26-2016, 07:19 PM
I can't wait for our next maintenance day. I have a easy list of things to do (new tweeters, new steering wheel, etc.) and I definitely want to see the VANOS job performed first hand.

GotZHP
02-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Vanos job is scaring me. It doesn't look too complicated, just time consuming. the instructions at Besians Systems website is a mile long. Going to attempt Vanos and CCV in a weekend.

johnrando
02-28-2016, 08:52 PM
Correct, VANOS is not hard, but it's long. CCV is a PITA due to it's location and the difficulty of getting the old brittle hoses out. MUCH easier to do if you take off the manifold, which adds work but is not difficult (not sure why some people say it is). VANOS would be safe to allow a day for, CCV IIRC qould be safe to schedule a half day for.

I'm not an expert but I'm happy to help lend a hand as I've done both of those jobs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

danewilson77
02-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Vanos job is scaring me. It doesn't look too complicated, just time consuming. the instructions at Besians Systems website is a mile long. Going to attempt Vanos and CCV in a weekend.
Follow the directions....though long. It's a decent procedure.

Sent from an S6 Edge

GotZHP
02-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Follow the directions....though long. It's a decent procedure.

Sent from an S6 Edge

Hopefully ordering the parts tomorrow or the next day.

danewilson77
02-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Hopefully ordering the parts tomorrow or the next day.
Good. Do plugs as well.

Sent from an S6 Edge

CarbonZHP
03-30-2016, 07:13 AM
In for the next meet up

sillieidiot
03-31-2016, 01:17 PM
i may drop by again whenever you guys hold another one.

GotZHP
05-12-2016, 08:44 PM
We should start tentatively planning a Socal ZHP Mafia meet up. Summer is fast upon us. Also, Getting all my maintenance items done. My list is getting shorter and shorter but Vanos rebuild is still on it.

Any weekend except the first two in July work well for me. Hopefully will be in France :)

CarbonZHP
05-12-2016, 08:45 PM
In for summer

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
05-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Seems like this would be hard to do. I swear John and like 3 other people have been trying to coordinate to get people over to my house for like the last 3 months lol

CarbonZHP
05-13-2016, 06:14 AM
I say we just set a date and who comes comes

johnrando
05-13-2016, 06:48 AM
We have Sat 6/4 tentatively scheduled. Your date is wrong on the poll, it says Sat 6/6.

sillieidiot
05-13-2016, 10:01 AM
We have Sat 6/4 tentatively scheduled. Your date is wrong on the poll, it says Sat 6/6.

I thought the poll was made last year? it's correct according to 2015 lol

sillieidiot
05-13-2016, 10:03 AM
I say we just set a date and who comes comes

yeah that's true. so far everyone has missed all the dates except for me LOL well i mean it's only john that wanted to get something done with wyatt being the "tech". so it's a bust if those 2 aren't there pretty much. i have a shit ton of things i have to do, but will most likely tackle it myself whenever i'm not lazy

NorCalZman
05-13-2016, 12:10 PM
well whatever date is set I will try to make it. 6/4 right? I work in the morning but hopefully can join after. And what exactly is happening at this meet? should I be buying my M3 wheel to install or are we not doing that kind of work?

sillieidiot
05-13-2016, 08:37 PM
well whatever date is set I will try to make it. 6/4 right? I work in the morning but hopefully can join after. And what exactly is happening at this meet? should I be buying my M3 wheel to install or are we not doing that kind of work?

iono. all i know is john is coming over to use the lift. i'm just here cause i have the lift lol you could buy the m3 wheel to install. it's easy to install. the longest part i would say is to fish around to push take the airbag off. other than that, it's super easy.

CarbonZHP
05-13-2016, 08:39 PM
I need to refit a splitter and change the clutch fluid. Put in dot 3 in a pinch

NorCalZman
05-14-2016, 03:46 PM
iono. all i know is john is coming over to use the lift. i'm just here cause i have the lift lol you could buy the m3 wheel to install. it's easy to install. the longest part i would say is to fish around to push take the airbag off. other than that, it's super easy.

Ok. I'll bite the bullet and order it.

There's a torque setting for the wheel nut, right? If someone has a torque wrench that'd be good.

I took the bag out before as a bolt fell out back there for some reason and I had to put it back. Yes it was a pain but i totally can do it again myself. However I wasn't able to get the actual electric plug off. If someone has done that before and knows the trick that'd be appreciated

sillieidiot
05-15-2016, 01:53 PM
Ok. I'll bite the bullet and order it.

There's a torque setting for the wheel nut, right? If someone has a torque wrench that'd be good.

I took the bag out before as a bolt fell out back there for some reason and I had to put it back. Yes it was a pain but i totally can do it again myself. However I wasn't able to get the actual electric plug off. If someone has done that before and knows the trick that'd be appreciated

yeah there is. but you don't really need to know. just make it tight lol we all should have torque wrenches. I just tell everyone to bring their own tools because I don't have any good tools currently. i also have the bentley manual so i could look it up.

Maybe someone tried to swap your wheels before. For the plugs, it's easy. On the top flat/rectangular part. You just use a flat and pry that section up. Then you'll see it unclip and you can pull the plugs out.

CarbonZHP
05-15-2016, 02:07 PM
I have a 300pc portable tool set and a nice low profile jack. Torque wrench. Blah blah

NorCalZman
05-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Maybe someone tried to swap your wheels before. For the plugs, it's easy. On the top flat/rectangular part. You just use a flat and pry that section up. Then you'll see it unclip and you can pull the plugs out.

This was back when I was more familiar with Japanese cars than German. Obviously I missed something really obvious with the plug for the airbag.

Ordering the wheel tonight.

NorCalZman
05-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Good thing I ordered the wheel yesterday. It's "on order". Not sure how long it will take to arrive.

sillieidiot
05-17-2016, 01:37 AM
Yeah if not, whatever. You're close to me so I'm sure we could do it whenever lol Iono where in OC you're at though. We could just do it in the parking lot lol

GotZHP
05-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Did i see someone mention a lift?!?! If so, can I be your new best friend :begging

Anyways, Things I still have on my to do list if we meet up for a day. Vanos rebuild. Transmission & Diff. fluid swap. Clutch & Brake Fluid swap. Adjust clutch pedal position, engagement point, and eliminate lateral play. Learn how to clay bar and finely detail the paint.

June 4th is what we are thinking right? I'll clear my calendar now if there is anything there

NorCalZman
05-20-2016, 09:34 AM

It's here! Goodness it's so pretty and nice feeling. I'm not sure I can wait until the 4th to try to put it on. I want to change it out ASAP.

Yeah if not, whatever. You're close to me so I'm sure we could do it whenever lol Iono where in OC you're at though. We could just do it in the parking lot lol

OC isn't that big. haha. Where are you? Im in Costa Mesa.

sillieidiot
05-20-2016, 12:51 PM

It's here! Goodness it's so pretty and nice feeling. I'm not sure I can wait until the 4th to try to put it on. I want to change it out ASAP.

OC isn't that big. haha. Where are you? Im in Costa Mesa.

Yeah but I get lazy to drive sometimes lol But you are close. Like iono 10 mins away at the farthest point of Costa Mesa lol I'm in Fountain Valley. Right next to Mile Square Park if you know where that is. A lot of people do know the park for some odd reason.

We could try today lol I'm supposed to go to Crevier to see about that whole rental program thing. But i'm too lazy. Probably just going to walk around the park and just play games lol

NorCalZman
05-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Yeah but I get lazy to drive sometimes lol But you are close. Like iono 10 mins away at the farthest point of Costa Mesa lol I'm in Fountain Valley. Right next to Mile Square Park if you know where that is. A lot of people do know the park for some odd reason.

We could try today lol I'm supposed to go to Crevier to see about that whole rental program thing. But i'm too lazy. Probably just going to walk around the park and just play games lol

oh ok. Im like 6-7 miles away from that park. Im just up the street from South Coast Plaza. Practically on the way to Crevier. Im down to do it today if you are. How would you want to do it? Want me to come to you? Want to stop by on your way to or from Crevier? If during work hours I just have to stay here close to the laptop. The car is in its garage downstairs right now. Or I could come to your place after work.

sillieidiot
05-20-2016, 01:45 PM
oh ok. Im like 6-7 miles away from that park. Im just up the street from South Coast Plaza. Practically on the way to Crevier. Im down to do it today if you are. How would you want to do it? Want me to come to you? Want to stop by on your way to or from Crevier? If during work hours I just have to stay here close to the laptop. The car is in its garage downstairs right now. Or I could come to your place after work.

PMed you.

CarbonZHP
05-22-2016, 01:41 PM
So June 4th?

GotZHP
06-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Wait so this Saturday??? South Coast Park ya?

CarbonZHP
06-02-2016, 12:32 PM
I'm in if it happens

GotZHP
06-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Man, I am going to have to make it happen for me. In Irvine now, driving to Santa Barbara tomorrow after work to take the girl out to dinner for her B-day.

CarbonZHP
06-02-2016, 06:32 PM
I haven't gotten any good confirmation on this

GotZHP
06-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Hmm

Anybody out there?

CarbonZHP
06-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Well I'm going to euro Wednesdays if you want to meet up there next week

sillieidiot
06-03-2016, 07:47 PM
i'm pretty sure we aren't doing it. no one else has emailed about anything. at least we got the steering wheel done lol i'll probably just wash my car tomorrow before i cover it up since i'm not allowed to drive it.