PDA

View Full Version : First Time Doing Auto-X, Any Tips?

NickZHP
05-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm doing my first Autocross event this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a starter? Also is there anything I should do to prepare my ZHP for this? I believe the course doesn't go above 60mph so are there any shifting techniques I should know of and practice? Are you pretty much in 2nd the whole time?

NoVAphotog
05-20-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm doing my first Autocross event this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a starter? Also is there anything I should do to prepare my ZHP for this? I believe the course doesn't go above 60mph so are there any shifting techniques I should know of and practice? Are you pretty much in 2nd the whole time?

Sweet!! You'll love it. For starters, just go out and have fun. Ask to have an instructor ride with you if possible. Shift to 2nd as soon as possible. You will be in it the whole time unless you are running a big big course.

Here's my thread on the matter from around this time last year:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12949-Beginner-and-or-quot-Track-Autox-Guide-quot-Sticky

You can check out my Youtube channel for more ZHP autox videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o8S4Mjc8rE

Including my first few runs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRf21r-JwM

GoGators
05-21-2015, 04:24 AM
1- have fun (turn traction control fully off)

2-look ahead 2 to 3 gates/corners ahead of where your car is currently on the course. if you are looking at the gate you are driving through its way to late to be positioned for the next series. this seems like an easy concept, in practice its quite difficult.

3- add oil. our engines get starved in the upper aft end of the valve train and make a distracting ticking noise when sustained running at sustained higher rpms (like you will in an autox). I ensure mine is filled all the way up the to the thin gap between the thicker block that is where the oil level should be and rest of the dipstick (slightly over full).

JB3
05-21-2015, 05:37 AM
Where you going? Maxton? or somewhere else? I'd imagine you will hit 3rd at Maxton.

Edit: definitely make sure DSC is all the way off. Otherwise you'll be coasting with no power for half the time. :roundel

In for updates.

NickZHP
05-21-2015, 03:26 PM
Sweet!! You'll love it. For starters, just go out and have fun. Ask to have an instructor ride with you if possible. Shift to 2nd as soon as possible. You will be in it the whole time unless you are running a big big course.

Here's my thread on the matter from around this time last year:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12949-Beginner-and-or-quot-Track-Autox-Guide-quot-Sticky

You can check out my Youtube channel for more ZHP autox videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o8S4Mjc8rE

Including my first few runs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVRf21r-JwM

Great thanks for the thread! Why is shifting to 2nd so early better than accelerating in 1st?

1- have fun (turn traction control fully off)

2-look ahead 2 to 3 gates/corners ahead of where your car is currently on the course. if you are looking at the gate you are driving through its way to late to be positioned for the next series. this seems like an easy concept, in practice its quite difficult.

3- add oil. our engines get starved in the upper aft end of the valve train and make a distracting ticking noise when sustained running at sustained higher rpms (like you will in an autox). I ensure mine is filled all the way up the to the thin gap between the thicker block that is where the oil level should be and rest of the dipstick (slightly over full).

Awesome thanks for the tips, should I be worried if I start to hear that ticking?

Where you going? Maxton? or somewhere else? I'd imagine you will hit 3rd at Maxton.

Edit: definitely make sure DSC is all the way off. Otherwise you'll be coasting with no power for half the time. :roundel

In for updates.

I'm actually going to Danville airport in VA with the Triad Sports Car Club which is a little far but this is a good weekend for me to do it and I was able to register to spend time with an instructor there to help me out.

wertyu78
05-21-2015, 03:50 PM
AutoX can be fun on the right course. I'll echo some of the things mentioned above, and then some.

1. Add 3/4 to a full quart of engine oil before the event. Our valve-trains starve. Note: you will hear loud ticking afterward either way. Make sure that the water and oil temps are at "operating temperature" before your lap.

2. Ensure that all of your tires are set at the correct/preferred pressure.

3. Dependent on what sort of pad you are running, you might want to "scrub" them in quickly before your lap. This is simply to get some heat in them so that they have the bite you need on the course.

4. Remember that where you are looking is where you are going. Always look 3-6 seconds ahead.

5. Walk the course before the course is "hot" or active. Get familiar with the layout and clipping points/braking areas.

6. "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast". Keep your transitions (both hands and feet) consistent and smooth.

7. Turn DSC off completely

NickZHP
05-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Great, thanks wertyu78.

Another question, I haven't had my brakes flushed within the last six months but they seem totally fine as of right now, should I be worried about this or does it not matter for this one weekend?

brettbimmer
05-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Great, thanks wertyu78.

Another question, I haven't had my brakes flushed within the last six months but they seem totally fine as of right now, should I be worried about this or does it not matter for this one weekend?

I don't recall Autocross tech inspection being as stringent with brake fluid changes as high performance driving schools. The concern is that brake fluid is hygroscopic and pulls in moisture from the atmosphere, so when it gets enough water in it the boiling point is reduced. Obviously this is more of a factor when you are using the brakes for 100MPH+ stops at a track.

Good luck & enjoy the autocross. Just remember, "Shiny side up!"

Hermes
05-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Just go out and drive your car.

Don't overthink it and have a good time. You'll be back and can figure out the details later.

Mike V
05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
The hardest part for me to learn was 'go slow to go fast'. This applies to the corners. Listen to your tires. If they are squealing like a stuck pig, you are demanding more than they're able to give. Slow down a bit, and reduce some steering input (another tough thing to learn). Just go out there and have fun your first event and don't try to over think it. You'll learn a lot just by hanging out with and watching others.

NickZHP
05-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips! This is definitely something I'll be doing again...