PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie's Guide to Autocross

spencers
03-10-2011, 09:50 AM
After recently completing my first autocross event, I've decided to start a thread outlining some details for folks that wish to get involved. By no means do I know everything, but I'll touch on things to get started. Veterans, please feel free to add/correct any information listed.

Crickett
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
^ This +1,000! AutoXing is some of the safest, cheapest, & most fun you can have in your car! You also really don't need a kick-ass car to have fun; I autoX'd my old '92 Nissan Sentra (~90 rwhp, 2300 lbs, 5-speed) & had the time of my life!

danewilson77
03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Nice writeup......

kayger12
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Good thread. Very helpful.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Spence, great work.

M3TA5IN
03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
very good stuff!!!

M0nk3y
03-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Nice Write-Up, I'll come back later and provide some addition info after I re-read it.

And I've only gotten up to redline in second gear ~55-60 mph.

M0nk3y
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
I get my auto-x Numbers through here:

http://www.izoomgraphics.com/

Concerning Cones:

The cone is always marked around with a piece of chalk: This makes resetting cones easy if someone was to hit a cone
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/cone_in_box.jpg

If you hit a cone, and it's completely out of the box, then that's a penalty. It doesn't matter if it's standing up or tipped over, it's going to be a penalty (2 seconds).
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/cones_out_over.jpg
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/cones_out_up.jpg

If you hit a cone, and it's over..but still touching the Box, it's a Penalty:
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/cone_over_touchbox.jpg

If you hit a cone, and it's still standing up and touching ANY part of the box, no penalty:
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/coneoktouch.jpg

This also explains some Yes and No's of Cones...

http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/carokline.gif
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/carokloopline.gif
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/caroutsideline.gif
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/carbadlooopline.gif
http://www.sccawiregrass.org/images/carslalomline.gif

Reference -> http://www.sccawiregrass.org/worker2.html

Cones Tipped over and pointed one way determines the direction of the next gate: As you can see, the cones in the background and towards the left image is pointing the direction of my next gate. These cones also mark boundaries of the course. It's ok if you hit and knock these cones...they do not count as penalties. The cones standing up still count as Penalties
http://www.incom-racing.com/images/gallery/OvrSolo20100808/images/solo1373.jpg

If you see a cone standing up with a cone next to it pointing, this determines a gate where you need to maneuver around the opposite side of the cone, as shown:
http://www.incom-racing.com/images/gallery/OvrSolo20100627/images/solo0116.jpg

In the same set-up, these cones can mark the start of a cone slalom: In this photo, you see that you have pointing cones in BOTH directions. This will make it and option slalom. The driver can choose either left or right, then slalom appropriately. (You can see in the very background a pointer cone)
http://www.incom-racing.com/images/gallery/OvrSolo20100711/images/solo2802.jpg

I hope I covered most of the "cone" basics. I hope you don't mind me adding to it.

adb1028
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Awesome write up. I can't wait to start this Spring, I just need to find some sort of driving class first to work on my technique before I go to the track.

jjcools
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Nice, this makes me want to take my car more and more.

kayger12
03-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Awesome write up. I can't wait to start this Spring, I just need to find some sort of driving class first to work on my technique before I go to the track.

Let me know when you're planning to auto-x, Alex. Planning on getting into it myself this year.

kayger12
03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
That's the notion I was trying to go against by writing this thread. You don't absolutely need a driving class. Just show up, have fun!

Don't need it, but driver training is the best money you can spend, imo-- especially for a young driver. Certainly won't hurt to get a driver school under your belt first.

Mike V
03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Autocross is definitely a good time and also a great way to enhance your accident avoidance skills for the street. You get the opportunity to see how your car behaves at the limit and at the same time enjoying a little competition. When I first started autocrossing in 2000, I couldn't wait for the next event. I do more track days than autocross these days but I would definitely recommend getting at least a season of autocross under your belt before hitting the track. Autocross tips that I can think of are:

1) Look ahead! This will help immensely with establishing the right line before you say "oh sh*t" and mow over a row of cones.

2) Pay attention on the course walk and get a good idea of what your apex cones are so that you can mentally blank out the others in the 'sea of cones'. I often see a lot of talking and random looking around when people walk with others. I do talk but I keep my eyes fixated on the course so that it's stuck in my feeble little mind. :)

3) Go slower to go faster. If you're 'drifting' around every turn or understeering with massive tire howl, dial it back a notch and you'll see your times improve.

4) Tire pressures. With the abrupt turns and quick transitions, you'll need to run higher tire pressures than you do on the street. I'd start at 42 psi and maybe even higher for a lower performance tire (all season). After your run, inspect the tires to ensure that you haven't flopped onto the sidewall (you'll see scuffs). Add or bleed pressure as necessary. If your club puts on a Test & Tune event, take advantage of that. You typically get 3 or 4 times the runs at those events, so you'll have more opportunity to figure out what pressure works best. Usually, you'll get just 3-5 runs unless your club doesn't get much participation. In the KC region, we typically get 4 runs with around 100 people in attendance.

5) Run street tires for at least a season before switching to R-Comps. R-Comps have a tendency to mask your mistakes. Give yourself time to be smooth with street tires first and the rewards will pay off when you make the switch to the stickies.

kayger12
03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Autocross is definitely a good time and also a great way to enhance your accident avoidance skills for the street. You get the opportunity to see how your car behaves at the limit and at the same time enjoying a little competition. When I first started autocrossing in 2000, I couldn't wait for the next event. I do more track days than autocross these days but I would definitely recommend getting at least a season of autocross under your belt before hitting the track. Autocross tips that I can think of are:

1) Look ahead! This will help immensely with establishing the right line before you say "oh sh*t" and mow over a row of cones.

2) Pay attention on the course walk and get a good idea of what your apex cones are so that you can mentally blank out the others in the 'sea of cones'. I often see a lot of talking and random looking around when people walk with others. I do talk but I keep my eyes fixated on the course so that it's stuck in my feeble little mind. :)

3) Go slower to go faster. If you're 'drifting' around every turn or understeering with massive tire howl, dial it back a notch and you'll see your times improve.

4) Tire pressures. With the abrupt turns and quick transitions, you'll need to run higher tire pressures than you do on the street. I'd start at 42 psi and maybe even higher for a lower performance tire (all season). After your run, inspect the tires to ensure that you haven't flopped onto the sidewall (you'll see scuffs). Add or bleed pressure as necessary. If your club puts on a Test & Tune event, take advantage of that. You typically get 3 or 4 times the runs at those events, so you'll have more opportunity to figure out what pressure works best. Usually, you'll get just 3-5 runs unless your club doesn't get much participation. In the KC region, we typically get 4 runs with around 100 people in attendance.

5) Run street tires for at least a season before switching to R-Comps. R-Comps have a tendency to mask your mistakes. Give yourself time to be smooth with street tires first and the rewards will pay off when you make the switch to the stickies.

Good stuff. I lol'ed at #3 thinking about whipping a 4,300 lb Crown Vic around the track. I think you'd have to do 10mph to keep the tires quiet...

M0nk3y
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Great points. To add onto #2

Before every run, I close my eyes and go through the whole course while sitting in my car...I imagine where I have to steer the wheel, where I have to brake..etc. When I walk the course I make sure I know the course before it's done with...I usually walk about 4-5 times. It may seem like alot, but I always catch something I missed before.

Yes, it may look weird seeing a dude in his car, while sitting still imagining to turn the wheel...etc, but it helps me alot to get prepared for the upcoming run.

As well...when you're autocrossing, you need to sit alot closer than you usually do. You want to put your arms out towards the wheel and your wrists should be resting on the steering wheel...I sit alot closer to my pedals and higher up...the benefit to see forward over the car helps a ton.

Regards.

kayger12
03-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Great points. To add onto #2

Before every run, I close my eyes and go through the whole course while sitting in my car...I imagine where I have to steer the wheel, where I have to brake..etc.

Yes, it may look weird seeing a dude in his car, while sitting still imagining to turn the wheel...etc, but it helps me alot to get prepared for the upcoming run.

If the Blue Angels can do it before every routine, I think it's good enough for the rest of us.

Visualization, FTW!

Good advice.

"To develop the minute "muscle memory" necessary to fly precise formation, while countering high g-loads, new Blue Angel pilots rely on the time-proven techniques of active visualization and armchair flying. During the first preflight briefing of a practice day, Foley and Shortal close their eyes and virtually "fly" the team's upcoming profile. "Boss" Foley verbalizes his radio calls, just as he would in the air, and both new pilots move imaginary sticks and throttles."

adb1028
03-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Let me know when you're planning to auto-x, Alex. Planning on getting into it myself this year.
Definitely. I need to do some research on where to go for this. Do you know of any upcoming events?

That's the notion I was trying to go against by writing this thread. You don't absolutely need a driving class. Just show up, have fun!

What's stopping you? ;)

Don't need it, but driver training is the best money you can spend, imo-- especially for a young driver. Certainly won't hurt to get a driver school under your belt first.
I've only been driving a 6spd since October (well, driving at all for that matter :biggrin) so my ability can definitely be improved. I think it would be a worth while investment

M0nk3y
03-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Definitely. I need to do some research on where to go for this. Do you know of any upcoming events?

I've only been driving a 6spd since October (well, driving at all for that matter :biggrin) so my ability can definitely be improved. I think it would be a worth while investment

All you need to do is get out of 1st gear and leave it in second. There is only 1 time I went back into first and that was I wanted to get around the corner quick and used the clutch and brake to kick the car around.

adb1028
03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
All you need to do is get out of 1st gear and leave it in second. There is only 1 time I went back into first and that was I wanted to get around the corner quick and used the clutch and brake to kick the car around.

Alright, sounds easy enough

kayger12
03-10-2011, 06:55 PM

I need to do some digging myself. I'll see what I can find.

kayger12
03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
BMWCCA Regions: http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=national_regional_map
SCCA Regions: http://www.scca.com/divisions.aspx

:)

Thank you, sir!

jvr826
03-11-2011, 04:11 PM
What a great thread!

Anyone in the SF Bay Area looking to get into autocross, see links in my sig. I'm a coordinator and our first event of the season is just four weeks away! Registration has been open nine days and we're 60% sold out already. Any questions about our program, please PM me.

FWIW, we charge 1 second per downed cone. Pointer cones do not count as downed cones.

AHA! I see Spencers linked Kris Linquist's site... he was one of the coordinators for the past 5 seasons and passed the reigns to me last fall.

jvr826
03-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Absolutely! He and Matt Vissar revived a dying program, grew and improved it, and last fall after 5 years of running it, they handed off a very strong program to Rodger and I.

Funny thing is, I was an all-track guy who couldn't see the point of autocross... until I tried it... once. After my first run on course my heart was racing and I had an ear-to-ear grin on my face as I made my way back to the queue for my next run... and I was impatient as I waited for my turn to go again. Those 50 seconds on course changed my whole view of the thing and taught me a lot about myself.

It's very different than going to the race track. At the track you have 14-15 corners in about 3 miles and 20-30 minute sessions of repetition to learn it and tune to it. At autocross you get about the same number of corners in less than a quarter mile and only 40-60 seconds to do all that. And, you only get one "lap" to do it, then you sit and visualize your run to figure out what changes to make to go faster next time. Tho you're traveling slower, the action is much faster so your brain has to process things much quicker. It's quite a mental challenge!

Good times!

az3579
03-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Absolutely the case, though personally I find the track more exhilerating. Must have something to do with being able to actually row through some gears and hear the engine sing...

Sent from my DROIDX

Terry
03-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Great write-up, Spencers! Pleased to hear that you got snagged :) I think your write-up may give people the nudge who have had the curiosity and just needed that extra lil' push.

What I've always loved about cone-dodging is that no matter how much experience you have you will experience the grip limit of the car...Somehow. I find that autocross tends to give people a good appreciation for how quickly you can lose front end grip and how it all is connected to your eyes. Unlike tracks with visual markers and sometimes apex / exit cones, the autocross courses tend to be overwhelming at first glance as there are thousands of those orange buggers!

I have a friend that has become a regular at San Diego Chapter (BMW CCA) autocross events. He has a ton of fun in his bone stuck Toyota Avalon :) These events are accessible and beneficial for everybody...whether you're attending to hone your families' driving skills in the bone-stock 93' Buick Roadmaster Estate or even on the other end of the spectrum - an experienced club racer / track pilot looking to fine-tune some car control skills or shake-down the car.

Jeff, i have an old friend up in your neck of the woods that will be attending your events.. Just working on getting him in a car. Whenever he's back down in Orange County visiting family I will be getting him to LA and SD chapter autocrosses (and of course Driving Schools), but for the most part he'll be attending Golden Gate chapter events.

Thanks again, Spencers :)

Terry

bcleaver
03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
+1 for autox. I'll warn you though, while the cost to race is very inexpensive for a motorsport, once the bug bites you you'll find yourself spending a lot more to get the car 'competitive'.

johnrando
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Terry, I'll be checking for local events (more LA area)... maybe we can sync up and attend one. I'm a newbie, but looking forward to trying it!

Terry
03-29-2011, 12:43 PM
John, sounds like a plan!! There are typically autocross events put on in the LA area by the SCCA. Occasionally they put on an event at the El Toro (ex)Marine Base. For BMW CCA you'll have to head over to Fontana or go south to San Diego.

We should definitely keep in touch.

BMW CCA LA Chapter: www.bmwclubla.org
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter: www.sdbmwcca.com

-Terry

jvr826
03-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Jeff, i have an old friend up in your neck of the woods that will be attending your events.. Just working on getting him in a car. Whenever he's back down in Orange County visiting family I will be getting him to LA and SD chapter autocrosses (and of course Driving Schools), but for the most part he'll be attending Golden Gate chapter events.

Your friend is welcome to come by and spectate, get ride-alongs, whatever. We're almost sold out for 4/9, only 10 spots left ATM.

murph
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Wish I'd see this thread earlier, I was in Irvine on business last week, so I stuck around for the San Diego National Tour and co-drove Bill Schenker's CSP Miata. I didn't drive terribly well, but it was a heck of a lot of fun, and the LA/SD locals made me feel very welcome! I'll have to post up if I do it again sometime, I think the SD Tour or El Toro Pro Solo will have to be on the list every year. =]