PDA

View Full Version : Hankook v12 v2?

txImolafan
05-29-2015, 09:54 AM
hey guys looking to get some new tires, I always go with Michelins but I have heard a few people say that the v12s are pretty good also.
I wanted to see what you guys thought of them? I am leaning towards super sports but sometimes I know it is good to try different things. Well anyways any input is appreciated thanks!!

danewilson77
05-29-2015, 10:06 AM
I had the V12's. I liked them.

txImolafan
05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
I see you have the dws's how do you like those?

danewilson77
05-29-2015, 10:13 AM
More better.

txImolafan
05-29-2015, 10:16 AM
I can't tell if trolling or? haha Beautiful car by the way.

JB3
05-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Bought V12s when DTD had $100 off 400 a few weeks ago, then bought a car that has V12s on it. The ones that are on are worn out, and still ride good, are quiet, and are sticky as hell. I'm happy I have another set waiting.

danewilson77
05-29-2015, 02:13 PM
I can't tell if trolling or? haha Beautiful car by the way.
No trolling allowed on the Mafia. The DWS's are a better tire than the V12's imho.

az3579
05-29-2015, 02:19 PM
hey guys looking to get some new tires, I always go with Michelins but I have heard a few people say that the v12s are pretty good also.
I wanted to see what you guys thought of them? I am leaning towards super sports but sometimes I know it is good to try different things. Well anyways any input is appreciated thanks!!
Super sport beats the living crap out of the V12's.

NoVAphotog
05-29-2015, 02:31 PM

The tires I hear that fall into that category the most are the Bridgestone S-04s. Can't comment, but I can say I love my Super Sports. Live up to the hype.

danewilson77
05-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Right. If he's asking about V12's, he's most likely not asking about Super Sports.

Vas
05-29-2015, 02:37 PM
I had v1 and they were nice. But now I am on s04 and love them

txImolafan
05-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Awesome thanks guys!

JB3
05-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Super sport beats the living crap out of the V12's.

I'd like to hear discussion on how much better you think they are. This is the test that I read when making my decision:
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/tire-test-nine-affordable-summer-tires-take-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests)

Another major factor for me was that these listed for $620, with $100 off coupon making $520, with $80 rebate, bringing them down to $440 shipped. IIRC that was literally half the price of the PSS. The Evo2 had great marks for wet performance, too. I haven't pushed these on track, yet, but will report back once I do. For now I think they are a pretty outstanding street tire.

az3579
05-29-2015, 03:13 PM
I'd like to hear discussion on how much better you think they are. This is the test that I read when making my decision:
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/tire-test-nine-affordable-summer-tires-take-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests)

Another major factor for me was that these listed for $620, with $100 off coupon making $520, with $80 rebate, bringing them down to $440 shipped. IIRC that was literally half the price of the PSS. The Evo2 had great marks for wet performance, too. I haven't pushed these on track, yet, but will report back once I do. For now I think they are a pretty outstanding street tire.
The PSS is a considerably better tire but not double the price better. This was the exact reason I went with the Bridgestone Potenza S04's over PSS: price. The difference in that scenario is the PSS is only a small difference in performance with a big price difference.

I've tracked the V12 Evo K110's and have to say I was very disappointed. Grip wasn't as good as I was used to and some of the tread blocks chunked off. They're cheap. You get what you pay for. I didn't really have any complaints I could remember as far as daily driving went though, so its flaws come out when you start to push them.

cakM3
05-30-2015, 08:48 AM
As Botond pointed out the V12s aren't a great tire for track but for strictly street use they are awesome tires. I have been running on them with my M3 for years without any complaints.

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk

txImolafan
06-03-2015, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys i am still trying to debate what tire i want. Its hard for me to sway from michelin i have been running them for years haha.

yura
06-03-2015, 10:04 AM
I say forget what's "better" and get whatever gives you the most value (ie. most comfort and longevity for the buck).

When I had coupes/sedans I always shelled out for the absolute best tires money could buy for both summer and winter sets. After all, tire grip is important.

Well, when I got my SUV, it came with a brand new set of Atturo AZ800 tires. Head of them? Me neither. Taiwan's finest as it turns out. Some of the cheapest garbage tires you can find from a Manufacturer (http://www.atturo.com/moto/home) who's site hasn't been updated since 2013. And you know what the scary thing is? They're great! I regularly take 30kph corners at 70-80kph in my big, swaying, body-rolling SUV and rarely hear any squealing. I go off-road, through loose gravel, sand, rocks, foot-deep water, whatever else and never once have gotten even close to being stuck. I made the mistake of buying a separate set of winter wheels/tires (top of the line, of course), when (in hindsight) I'm sure this set would handle Vancouver's four-five snow-days per year without a hitch. They're comfortable and reasonably quiet.

These tires, which I was originally planning on instantly replacing with Michelin PSS, have completely opened my eyes to what a waste it is to get high-end, performance tires for street cars. Unless you're regularly tracking your car at some serious levels, I wouldn't waste the money.

// edit - keep in mind that the "cheap and crappy" street tires we have today are 20x better than anything that was used in Formula 1 and MotoGP 20 years ago.

az3579
06-03-2015, 04:50 PM
These tires, which I was originally planning on instantly replacing with Michelin PSS, have completely opened my eyes to what a waste it is to get high-end, performance tires for street cars. Unless you're regularly tracking your car at some serious levels, I wouldn't waste the money.

I cannot agree with the boldened statement. Traction is important at all levels; the tires are the most important part of the vehicle. They move you, stop you, and get you around corners. Cheap Nankang (or whatever tires, for that matter) may get the "job done", but when it comes to shortening those last few feet in a hard stop, or getting you around a corner safely regardless of the weather conditions, you really shouldn't skimp on tires. If you can find great performing tires for less $$, then that's an absolute win. But, you usually get what you pay for with tires.

KevinC
06-03-2015, 05:10 PM

From the article: The Ling Long L688s cost just $57 each.

Has it really come to this? A few years ago, that would have been a joke, but now the Chinese tires are starting to flow in, in increasing numbers. Yikes.

My 2c - I have Conti DW's on my ZHP, and I LOVE them - and I had PSS's on it before these. They're slightly less expensive, about 2 lbs lighter (which I could immediately feel in the steering and handling), have a very slightly softer sidewall (though not too soft by any means), and are quieter. And grip is fantastic. I still run PSS's on the Z4MC but will probably go DW on it too once they're gone. Fantastic tire.