PDA

View Full Version : Removing resonator

hcbeck2689
06-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey guys,
So I am curious about removing the resonator from my stock mid pipe. I plan on installing my BMW performance exhaust(muffler) soon and thought this would be a good time to remove the resonator.
I am curious to what the pros/cons are. I would have a muffler shop or my local BMW mechanic do it. Does it need to be on the car when the new pipes are welded or can it be off?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcbeck2689
06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
Anybody?

az3579
06-09-2015, 08:01 PM
The car will just be louder with them removed. You may have a little more drone too.

hcbeck2689
06-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Drone? You mean the low rpm loudness?

Thanks

ecrabb
06-09-2015, 08:39 PM
The BMW Performance Exhaust looks like it's a clamp-on to me. I don't have my #$%&* car yet so I can't look, but from photos, it appears the most you'd have to do is cut off the muffler section at the appropriate location.

Drone... Like "hum", which if it's too loud or obnoxious at certain RPMs, can make you want to kill something.

I'd probably be inclined to install the Performance Exhaust muffler first and see what you think of the sound before you take off the resonator. There's not really much advantage to doing both at the same time (other than convenience), but personally I'd rather wait and see what I thought of the sound first.

Very interested in hearing (hah!) what you think of the sound with the muffler or the muffler and resonator delete.

SC

az3579
06-10-2015, 07:34 AM
I'd probably be inclined to install the Performance Exhaust muffler first and see what you think of the sound before you take off the resonator. There's not really much advantage to doing both at the same time (other than convenience), but personally I'd rather wait and see what I thought of the sound first.

I agree with this. You can always delete the resonators in the future if you feel inclined, but definitely try the muffler first by itself to see if you like it.

hcbeck2689
06-10-2015, 09:19 AM
I looked around on e46f and a lot of people said it has a "ricer" sound. I am more interested in opening it up and adding a little sound but not having anything too loud or obnoxious sounding. I am thinking maybe headers in the future to add a touch of class to the sound and some power

CarbonZHP
11-12-2015, 11:35 AM
In my experience the resonator delete wasn't really worth it. Barely a noise difference.

mysticzhp
02-01-2016, 06:25 PM
I had an Eisenmann exhaust with rear resonator deleted and it sounded nice. Not too loud and not super quiet.