PDA

View Full Version : The Official FX-R Retrofit Lighting Solution Thread

Hornung418
03-10-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm hoping that this thread will aide others in the quest for brighter headlight output.

What I'm hoping to accomplish with this thread:

Reliable sources for the FX-R Xenon Projector kits:

Where are they manufactured?
What are the specifications on them?
What Ballasts do you use?
Most importantly, who sells them?

Adequate information regarding the retrofit from existing AL/ZKW*/Bosch Xenon projectors
Adequate information regarding the retrofit from existing H7 lights (will require recoding the LCM)
Tools necessary to complete the retrofit
LCM coding information

*ZKW projectors are notorious for dim output due to scorched housings.

**I'm well aware of snowcat's diy on e46F, but I feel like it is lacking in many areas, and only accounts for retrofitting the P46 xenon replacements from DEPO.

Please add any and all information you have regarding the topic.
Let's make it happen!

iZHP
03-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Any way to keep the stock xenons and fix the scorching issue? Mine are extremely dim and I practically have no light output from the passenger side.

az3579
03-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Any way to keep the stock xenons and fix the scorching issue? Mine are extremely dim and I practically have no light output from the passenger side.

No way to fix. Replacement is the only option.

johnnye23
03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Subscribed to this thread. The xenons on my wifes ZHP SUCK !!! I have not time to dig into it yet but it is on top of my list .

SkrApUNB
03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Buddy of mine just had this done for his e46 m3. i will get the specs and what not from him and post it up asap.

iZHP
03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
No way to fix. Replacement is the only option.

Now that's not completely true...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332078

now if I can only find some headlight reflector bowls on ebay...

spencers
03-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Keep in mind, it's not a permanent fix as the bowls will succumb to the same burning issue from the heat of the xenon bulb over time.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-14-2011, 10:56 AM
I think that's the biggest problem. No permanent fix.

jjcools
03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
3 options that I know of;
- get new or used oem
- get some p46 and have Lightwerkz swap out for FXR
- have lightwerkz swap out for FXR on your stock but it requires downtime.

I am not too familiar with that electrical stuff and do not want my lights messed up so I will have to go the FXR lightwerkz swap in the next year or so. I am luck that I have one goor Al headlight ;)

az3579
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Note that it says the word "replacement" in the DIY title. :rofl

Keep in mind, it's not a permanent fix as the bowls will succumb to the same burning issue from the heat of the xenon bulb over time.

This. The problem will just come back after a couple of years or less if you drive a lot in the dark.

iZHP
03-15-2011, 07:47 AM
I know. But it took 8 years to get this bad, so replacing every 5 years isn't a big deal to me. I found a website that says they'll ship the FX-R projectors both for $155. Thats not so bad, but I've never done a retrofit before...

danewilson77
03-15-2011, 07:56 AM
The question is...."Can you just buy the inches of bowls"?

Hornung418
03-15-2011, 08:00 AM
OMG get out of here with that shit, Dane. :rofl

UPDATE: I was directed by a TRS employee to check out the complete Bi-xenon FX-R retrofit kit here (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=141). It looks like a sweet deal. The only thing I'm concerned with is leveling them once they're installed. I will buy some AL projector bowls off of ebay and see what I can do with this kit. Also interested in any further recommendations on Ballasts? I could piece this together and achieve greater results for less. I'm gonna have Terraphantm code an LCM for me so I won't have to worry about BOWs and such.

spencers
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I know. But it took 8 years to get this bad, so replacing every 5 years isn't a big deal to me. I found a website that says they'll ship the FX-R projectors both for $155. Thats not so bad, but I've never done a retrofit before...
A good read:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=760394

Otherwise, send your headlamps off to Lightwerkz

iZHP
03-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm looking into lightwerkz. This sucks!!!!!

iZHP
03-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Is this what we need? (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2F02-05-BMW-E46-BIXENON-PROJECTORS-D2S-BEZELS-SHROUDS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2561f0cca0QQitemZ16055 6960928QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries%23ht_500wt_1182)

Hornung418
03-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Looks like a good place to start, 808.

SkrApUNB
03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Hey guys heres a little info from my Buddy out in Orlando. His User name is Kr3st on M3forums and E46f.

All parts were ordered from

www.theretrofitsource.com

FX-R projector with a clear FX lens.

Outer lights I'm running the OEM E46 M3 ballast(35w) with a 85122+ bulb(most lumen output hint of yellow, but cutoff has great color)

Inner projectors are also FX-R with clear FX lens.

I'm running a 3000k bulb with a Morimoto 5Five ballast(55w).

It's a complete D2s bulb setup.

Cost for Quad FX-R with retrofit was about 1k.

And all 4 projectors work as high beams.

here are a couple of shots of his FX-R set up

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5394935392_c8896642c0.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5403268328_64848796eb.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5484261874_0de5fc2354_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/5483666491_b98ec397c6_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5484261132_023c7c6853_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5296/5402666905_ff83209040.jpg

If you guys need anymore info. feel free to let me know and i can refer him to the site or ask him.

-Brandon

Hornung418
03-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Not a fan of quad projectors, but that's good info to have! I'm under the impression that the 55W ballasts provide too much washout. 35W supposedly gives the best clarity.

az3579
03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
35W supposedly gives the best clarity.

And is less likely to make me want to ram you off the road if I'm coming the opposite direction...
People really do need to take into consideration what other drivers think about your lights when facing them. lol

I'd do the retrofit but I'm not entirely sure what is involved. Must read up on it, because $315 sure sounds better than the $700+ Lightwerkz wants to charge.

iZHP
03-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I think I'm going to do the FX-R retrofit...Lightwerkz is right around the corner anyway :)

Hornung418
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Nice you'll have to do a comparison shot of the shitty ZKW lights and the new FX-Rs.

iZHP
03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Nice you'll have to do a comparison shot of the shitty ZKW lights and the new FX-Rs.

I intend to do so.

kaboom
03-15-2011, 11:17 PM
$700 including parts?

Ian

az3579
03-16-2011, 01:41 AM
$700 including parts?

Ian

Somewhere around $700's, and I believe that includes the cost of shipping it to them with your housing, including parts.

I just checked; their website based on a quick search doesn't say just how much it is. This is what's stated:

HID Projector retrofitting requires you to provide a set of headlights for us to complete the final product. Pricing includes set of headlights to be converted, not including any additional product, shipping, or surcharge fees. All conversions come featured with a full craftsmanship and condensation warranty. Please read our Policy section for more details. (http://shop.lightwerkz.net/pages.php?pID=1&CDpath=1)

HID Projector retrofitting allows us to convert your current headlights with the best available technology. This highly specialized service we offer involves installing HID projectors into reflector-based headlights, or if the car already comes with projectors, we can replace them with ones of better quality and performance. This allows the customer to obtain the absolute best performance available on the market without any compromises. These conversions are hand built by our team on a per order basis so you can count on the attention to detail and high levels of quality.
Base labor costs on a single projector retrofit conversion range between $320-$840. Costs will vary depending on application type, sealant type, and parts used in the conversion. Please contact us (http://shop.lightwerkz.net/contact_us.php) directly for a quote on labor.

All conversions include the following to ensure a worry-free lifetime product:
Extra butyl sealer to prevent condensation.
Permanently mounted projector shrouds with epoxy, projectors affixed with screws, nuts, and epoxy once aligned.
Projector tweaking to enhance performance: sharpness, color, straightness, and intensity.
Fully plug and play operation on the customer's end; we set it up to make sure no runs to the local store are needed for parts, and no modifications such as splicing and/or cutting is needed on OEM equipment.
Fully weather sealed headlights, to prevent debris and/or water from getting inside.
Loomed wiring when possible to maintain a factory look.

Important information
*Quotes are valid for 10 days.
*Pricing is subject to change without notice.
*Unless stated, pricing is estimated and may be adjusted once the conversion is completed.

adb1028
03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Guys, I would read through this thread before any of you commit to FX-R's

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?31747-switching-back-to-E46-s-from-FX-R-s

A lot of good info in there. FX-R's aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be evidently

spencers
03-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Guys, I would read through this thread before any of you commit to FX-R's

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?31747-switching-back-to-E46-s-from-FX-R-s

A lot of good info in there. FX-R's aren't as good as everyone makes them out to be evidently

I only skimmed the first page of posts, but FX-R's would be night and day difference between burned ZKW bowls.
Not to discredit the OE ZKW headlamps, as they are really nice, in a perfect unburned bowl situation. Bosch/AL are great as well, and don't suffer the same problem as the ZKW's.
Bottom line is, either way you go--whether you retrofit FX-R's, swap to bosch headlamps, or simply buy some unburned ZKW bowls--you'll end up with better light output than with burned ZKW bowls. Two of those options being a permanent (yet costly) fix to the issue at hand.

EDIT: I read the thread.
The OP of that thread is running Bosch headlamps with ZKW lenses. There is no burning bowl issue! So, of course his setup going to be superior to FX-R projectors.

adb1028
03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
No doubt pretty much anything is better than burned ZKW's. Some people people like the FX-R's, but it seemed like the general consensus was pretty much OEM or bust. The FX-R's showed awesome light output, cutoff, and width but they lacked in ability to throw the light down the road and have a "cascading mountain" of darkness in the foreground area. The other thing in that thread was quality and longevity. They have only been around for a few years so its not really known how long they'll last for. I think they're overhyped IMO.

That being said, OEM (any brand) will be better than any aftermarket chinese product. The best solution for those with crappped out ZKW's would be to:
1. source used, unburnt ZKW bowls (not really a solution since theyre destined to burn again, but yet an option nonetheless)
2. source used BOSCH/AL projectors (swap in OEM ZKW clear lenses or replica ZKW-R lenses for a sharper cut off)
3. attempt a retrofit with OEM TSX, FX, etc.... projectors
4. retrofit with replica projectors i.e. FX-R's
5. Lightwerkz

It's really up to you. If you are happy with the performance of the FX-R's, then go for it. I'm not saying they're bad (which they're obviously not, I think theyre awesome for the cost/ease of retrofit) but they're not the end-all-be-all of projectors. OEM is king.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

EDIT: I just reread my post....Im not trying to put down the FX-R's, but just summarize what I've read and seen so far while researching this issue.

Hornung418
03-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm looking for something better than H7s I've been on the look out for OEM E46 projectors but I need a wide band of light to avoid the wildlife asive already had several close encounters with some elk. I do like the ZKW lens idea. I wonder wha the width of the Bosch bi-xenons with ZKW lenses is.

DROIDstatus. Come at me, bro.

spencers
03-17-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm looking for something better than H7s I've been on the look out for OEM E46 projectors but I need a wide band of light to avoid the wildlife asive already had several close encounters with some elk. I do like the ZKW lens idea. I wonder wha the width of the Bosch bi-xenons with ZKW lenses is.

The OP of the thread that adb posted was running exactly that.. There's a few pictures in there

Hornung418
03-17-2011, 07:49 AM
The OP of the thread that adb posted was running exactly that.. There's a few pictures in there
Yeah just saw your post earlier post. I skimmed through the thread last night but was doing HW at the same time...

DROIDstatus. Come at me, bro.

adb1028
03-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Here are some good quotes from that thread:
(Keep in mind, when they refer to E46 projectors, they are referring to BOSCH projectors, with or without ZKW lenses)

The "mountain" foreground of the FX and FXR are what turn me off. I know they're cheap and easy to retro because of their size and mounting, and I'm sure that is why most use them, but the output has always bothered me. It's like a nasty shadow and makes the beam look like two balloons. Never been a fan.

Although the E46 are not wide projectors and do not have sharp cutoff like the FX-R, but they have had a lot of research and development in their design, allowing them to perform well in the 'real' world and also meet various lighting standards, maybe this is why people who have them like driving with them because they have been designed to light the road for the driver and not just be as bright or sharp a cutoff as possible. Just my thoughts..

just a follow up to this post. I actually switched jobs and now drive alot in the dark at night. I absolutly love the e-46's. I put the fx-r headlight in for a couple days to see how I liked driving on the high way with them and went right back to the e-46's. they light up the highway amazingly

I have FR's in my car right now, and personally i find the distance lacking with them i've never been happy with the low beam, the high beam when combined with my factory highs are great, but the distance with the low beam has never impressed me

the e46 is a very interesting projector for how tiny it is. it makes use of extra light better than any projector ive seen. sc430, TL, etc all pale in comparison using a 50w setup. the e46 just seems like it was made for it. i still miss that old retro, my current 35w valeos are like candles. when i had e46, streetlights were no match and s2k looked like halogen when i was passing lol. i would be driving in a group of cars and it looked like i was the only car with lights on.

have E46 in one of my cars and love them.

FXR have so many defects and most of guys that have them never compare them before buying them or had any other projectors before.

Just to name a few defects:

They have most of the light output on the foreground so close to the car and very little to nothing under the cutoff for far distance lighting where is most needed.

They have a really annoying pencil laser beam in the middle of each projector.

The cutoff on both sides is not straight, they both go slightly upwards which is dangerous for oncoming drivers.

You can not use them without the bulb spacer/adapter.

You can only use them with 1 brand of bulbs, because some other brands won't fit properly.

Some guys found out the chrome peels and even if they have warranty will be a nightmare and expensive to re-do the retro to exchange the bowls a few times.

The good:

Small and easy to retrofit.
Have clear lens which produces some nice color.
Good high beams.

I never will buy these defective projectors and I do not understand that the sellers never fixed them.

That proves again and again that fakes are never better than original 99% of the time.

yes, many projectors shoot much further in the distance. nothing matched the e46 i had for distance and intensity in front of the car. and they were still wider than halogen reflector. other projectors are wider, but they lack good distance and often have too much foreground.

I would say my e46's are about a highway lane narrower on each side than the fx-r's. but they light up about 5 lanes wide worth of light. and as far as forward distance they light up over head highway signs about half mile away easy, if not further. they have a nice even light all the way through the beam pattern.
you can see in this pic the beam streches across 6 garage doors plus at about 75-100 feet.

spencers
03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Like I said, I would not suggest retrofitting FX-R's over replacing with Bosch headlamps.
But I would suggest retrofitting FX-R's if you have ZKW's with the burned bowl issue, as it's a good permanent fix. Otherwise, the temporary fix would be to get unburned bowls.

kaboom
03-20-2011, 11:31 AM
So a fxr retrofit is $750 and takes a week-ish? I know new the headlights from the dealer are like $7xx each.

Ian

iZHP
03-22-2011, 07:07 AM
I was quoted $500 from Lightwerkz and it would take a whole day. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it based on what I've been reading..

az3579
03-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Apparently in the FX35, you can actually adjust how far the light is thrown down the road via a switch. Problem is, we don't get that feature with the retrofit... :(
But, I talked to someone who has an FX35 (2nd gen) and he says the light output is really good.

adb1028
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Apparently in the FX35, you can actually adjust how far the light is thrown down the road via a switch. Problem is, we don't get that feature with the retrofit... :(
But, I talked to someone who has an FX35 (2nd gen) and he says the light output is really good.

My mother used to have a FX35 and the OEM projectors were top notch. Some of the best I've seen.

iZHP
03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
New/used OEM headlight...or retrofit??? Decisions decisions

az3579
03-23-2011, 06:33 PM
New/used OEM headlight...or retrofit??? Decisions decisions

If it's a ZKW, don't even bother. It'll only get just as bad in a few years' time.

Rovert
05-01-2011, 05:53 PM
So with all the reading done. Which setup has the BEST light output onto the road from best to worst?

iZHP
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Felt like updating the FX-R thread.

Got the retrofit, and I'm thrilled with it. Excellent light output, and it's thrown very far down the road, which is what I wanted. Great cutoff too.

Caesar @ Lightwerkz - Highly recommended.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab58/ianbrady/eee12c59.jpg

nike001
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Wall shots are the norm for projectors.. but I want to see what the foreground output looks like. My FX-R's seem very bright towards the cutoff point, but then as they move downwards, there seems to be a certain point where the light just disappears (whereas the bosch projectors continue downwards)

iZHP
03-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I haven't noticed that...Mine continue outward and I can see light on the sidewalk beside the car. I rarely use the Fogs anymore...

Rovert
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
That kind of light output brings tears to my eyes when I have to run my lights and HID fogs to see. LOL :(

iZHP
03-26-2012, 05:30 PM
That kind of light output brings tears to my eyes when I have to run my lights and HID fogs to see. LOL :(

I know how you feel! It's like night and day compared to the ZKW's... and I had one perfect bowl Lol

Rovert
03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I remember when I got new ZKW bowls I didn't have to use my fog lights at all. Turning on my fogs made a nice difference but not a significant difference with burnt bowls.

When a KIA's headlights can make a shadow of your car's lights when they follow behind.....that's bad. LOL

nike001
03-27-2012, 07:33 AM
I remember when I got new ZKW bowls I didn't have to use my fog lights at all. Turning on my fogs made a nice difference but not a significant difference with burnt bowls.

When a KIA's headlights can make a shadow of your car's lights when they follow behind.....that's bad. LOL

I often experienced people eclipsing my car with their headlights lol. I almost never use my fogs either. I like the color of my CBI bulbs in my AL projectors and my 3k HID fogs kinda drown the color out.

tripod06
09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
okay so i'm a little late on this here BUT if we do the FX-R Retrofit, will we still have the leveling thing when the car is first turned on? i'm sorry, its so dumb but i love seeing that when i turn on my car

nike001
09-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Yes. Why wouldn't you?

The FX-R projector is in the bracket where the ZKW one once was. The auto-leveling feature pushes the entire assembly, not only the projector.

tripod06
09-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Yes. Why wouldn't you?

The FX-R projector is in the bracket where the ZKW one once was. The auto-leveling feature pushes the entire assembly, not only the projector.

you have no idea how happy that makes me. I'm sorry i'm sure that this was mentioned somewhere else, i just haven't decided to make the plunge into it because i was wondering about that.

johnrando
09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Good to see you around Albert.

danewilson77
09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Good to see you around Albert.

+1

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Vas
11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
So people that had the retrofit done, how are they holding up?

bullfrogs_M3
11-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Subscribing since I will need to do something soon. My lights are horrible :(

alexandre
11-11-2013, 03:31 PM
PO did it for my car through lightwerkz in June 2011. Couldn't ask for anything better.

iP4S + TT2

Vas
11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Any pictures?

alexandre
11-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Sure, what do you want? I'll take them tomorrow night.

iP4S + TT2

alexandre
11-12-2013, 10:23 PM
No lights (orion v2 angels only)

Projectors

Projectors w/ fogz

High beams

iP4S + TT2

Vas
11-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Any chance you can get a picture of the cut-off facing a wall?

I have been in contact with LightWerkz since I am thinking about getting it done.

They charge $425 plus return shipping. $140 of it is for the projectors and $285 for the labor.

alexandre
11-15-2013, 07:01 AM
The cutoff is very sharp, but yep I'll get you that ASAP. I think $425 is reasonable since you're essentially getting new lights for that price.

iP4S + TT2

alexandre
11-16-2013, 06:23 PM

iP4S + TT2

Vas
11-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for that image.

danewilson77
12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
PO did it for my car through lightwerkz in June 2011. Couldn't ask for anything better.

iP4S + TT2

Any way to get a bill of materials from the PO?

alexandre
12-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Nah. The only thing I have on the bill is headlight R&R, retrofit package, shipping fees. PO dropped it at his indy who took care of everything, and I don't have the TRS invoice.

iP4S + TT2