PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations...

ecrabb
06-22-2015, 11:13 AM
OK, so my tires have a little more wear than I thought when I bought the car, and they're actually a bit of a mess. Something I would have addressed in my offer if I had seen the car in person. The front two are both Pilot Sports, but the driver's-side is a PS2, and the passenger-side must be older (PS1?) as it's a totally different tread pattern and cracking. Lord. People amaze me. Just replace both, for chrissakes. Anyway, the rears are both Eagle F1s, but again look pretty different like maybe they're different revision, or it's just that the right-rear is worn much worse, and one of them is noisy to boot. So, I need to move up the tire replacement in the priority list, I think.

I'd like to stay with the 135's and the OEM staggered setup. I don't need to drive the car in the winter at all. I'll probably avoid driving the car in rain most of the time, but of course I could end up driving in some rain on a weekend trip or long outing. Weather in my part of the country can be pretty unpredictable. I probably won't track the car, but if I do, it would be a once or twice a year thing for fun; if I got serious about it, I'd probably go with a dedicated set of wheels and tires for track day.

I don't need ultimate performance, and I'd rather not spend north of a grand on a set of tires right now, anyway. Probably a good happy medium between dry performance, tread wear, and budget would be good. Something non-directional would be nice to be able to at least flip the backs if necessary.

Pilot Super Sports look nice and seem well-regarded at around $800, and Tire Rack loves them. People also seem to really like the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, and they're pretty inexpensive to boot at under $700. The Conti ExtremeContact DW (which I assume is similar to the original tires) also look good and are pretty damn inexpensive compared to the Pilots - especially with the rebate... I'd be looking at around $650 shipped in if I can't find them cheaper locally.

Sooooo, with all that background, any recommendations for a good tire that you guys are happy with or that you think I'd be happy with?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Apologies if this has all been hashed out already. If so, I'll do a search again.

Thanks!

Cheers,
SC

NoVAphotog
06-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Pilot Super Sports look nice and seem well-regarded at around $800, and Tire Rack loves them. People also seem to really like the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, and they're pretty inexpensive to boot at under $700. The Conti ExtremeContact DW (which I assume is similar to the original tires) also look good and are pretty damn inexpensive compared to the Pilots - especially with the rebate... I'd be looking at around $650 shipped in if I can't find them cheaper locally.

Sooooo, with all that background, any recommendations for a good tire that you guys are happy with or that you think I'd be happy with?

Apologies if this has all been hashed out already. If so, I'll do a search again.

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the stock sizes (225/40/18 and 255/35/18) on the 135's. It appears they are in your budget. Place them into your cart on Tirerack and click the order button. If you were penny-pinching and still want excellent performance either of the other two options you listed would be more than fine. I think Super Sports are worth experiencing on our cars, it will be leaps and bounds ahead of the eclectic mix you have on there now! :thumbsup

Also...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11660.html

Vas
06-22-2015, 11:42 AM
1) Pilot Super Sports
2) Bridgestone S04
3) Conti DW

All 3 tires are summer tires. If you got the extra money to spend, get the Pilot Super Sports. However the S04 are right behind them in terms of performance and the price is much better. Majority of the people wont even notice the difference between the two tires on a street daily driven car. But if you get the Pilot Super Sports you have bragging rights lol :P Conti DW are much softer and quieter plus have a higher tread ratting.

One of my cars has the S04 and the other car has the Conti DW.

In the end, you can't go wrong with any of the choices.

NoVAphotog
06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
In the end, you can't go wrong with any of the choices.

:thumbsup

ecrabb
06-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Sweet! Thanks, guys! Exactly the feedback I was looking for.

Now, to go get buy-in from the wife to spend a bunch of money on the car when I've only had it a week. Planned approach is to make it all about safety. "Hey, I know it's expensive honey, but these tires really aren't safe... I mean, if it was just me it wouldn't be a big deal, but we'll have the kids in the car with us all the time..."

;)

Of course, I'm only half-joking. Tires and brakes: The two most important pieces of safety equipment on a car.

Might have to wait a couple of weeks until I have the registration, taxes, and the bill for the transport all paid up, though.

SC

fredo
06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Michelin Pilot Super Sport FTW ... oh, wait a second. Too late to share my opinion. :biggrin

ecrabb
06-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Nah, never too late to share your opinion! Please do chime in!

Wait... Let me amend. Feel free to share your opinion any time, right up until I purchase a set of tires. After that, then you can shut it. ;)

SC

KevinC
06-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Went through a set of PSS's - a fine tire, to be sure - in about 20k miles on the rear, still going strong up front. I opted to try DW's, thinking I could just put them on the back, then do the fronts later when necessary, leaving the PSS's up there. The car handled HORRENDOUSLY with them mixed, to the point I thought something HAD to be wrong, that couldn't just be the tire combo - could it? Well, it was. So I doffed the PS2's up front and went DW all around, and I absolutely LOVE them. They are about 2 lbs lighter than the PSS's and I could immediately feel the difference. Slightly nicer ride quality. Still stick like glue. Quiet. Cheaper. An all around win-win as far as I'm concerned.

I just went through a set of PSS rears on my Z4MC in 9k miles, for no apparent reason. I've gotten 25k out of previous PS2's on that car. Alignment was perfect. Discount Tire agreed that the wear was premature, and so Michelin covered half the cost of replacements. The normal warranty doesn't apply on a staggered setup, so I had to ask for help. I'll probably go DW on that car too next time it needs tires. I've been a PS whore since the originals came out over a decade ago, but now I'm willing to stray - the DW's have impressed me.

yura
06-22-2015, 07:03 PM
I also had Eagle F1s on my ZHP when I bought it - horrible, ridiculously noisy tires.

I replaced them with a set of Conti DWS and was very happy with them. If you don't track your car or need every ounce of performance, I'd get these. I had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my 335i and loved them, although IMO they were overkill for a 100% street car. The difference in the prices you mentioned isn't all that big, so in your position I'd likely opt for the PSS again.

Tnhl1989
06-23-2015, 07:22 AM
I just pick up Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R. Super soft compound, amazing grip, and feels is close to perfect when put on the balance rack for road force. Only thing is they don't offer a lower ratio tire in the 245 range. They do have our normal tire setup though if you plan on doing it on the 135's.20413

ecrabb
06-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks, guys!!! Great info, and some good options. I'll check out the Potenzas, too.

LOLs... I was digging through the glovebox last night and found paperwork from Sam's Club. The F1's went on about four years and 20k miles ago. Gee, I wonder why the right-rear is worn so badly? ;)

Something tells me it wasn't just the guy's wife that was driving the car.

SC

BMWCurves
06-23-2015, 09:09 AM
For what it's worth, my father has had the Continental ExtremeContact DW's on his E39 540i for the past few years (he doesn't put too many miles on his car in a year) and it's a great tire. It's very quiet (I can pretty much carry a conversation at a whisper at 70 mph) and it has great dry/high temp grip. What's surprising is its cold and wet weather performance for a max performance summer tire. It will still lose grip if you really push them, but the loss of grip is manageable and linear. Here in Portland it's cold or wet about eight months out of the year but our weather never really flummoxes the tire.

That said, I'm eyeing the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions as my next tire just to try them out. Currently have Toyo Proxes T1 Sport tires on the rears and Toyo Proxes T1R on the front. No real complaints so far, but would be nice to have the same tires all around.

I'll be interested to hear what you get and what you think of them.

slater
06-23-2015, 10:10 AM
PSS all the way for me.

peter

ELCID86
06-23-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm liking the PSSs I put on mine last fall (I have a set of winters for the cold season).

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Jon D
06-24-2015, 07:02 AM
PSS again. Started with the Bridgestones no comparison. PSS way more predictable as you push them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ecrabb
06-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Awesome feedback, guys. As usual, the Mafia rocks.

SC

danewilson77
06-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Awesome feedback, guys. As usual, the Mafia rocks.

SC
:rockon

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Karl Lazlo
06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
PSS again. Started with the Bridgestones no comparison. PSS way more predictable as you push them.

#truth

I am on my third set of PSS. Went off the reservation a few times with others, including the Connie ECDWs.

Communicative, predictable (unlike my girlfriends) in the dry and wet.

The downside:

They wear quickly so if your alignment is off, they will get eaten, fast. Also, tend to lose some consistency as you get closer to their wear limits.

As an aside, it was fun being a "chased" car in EVOC. My little 330Ci ate CVPIs for lunch!

fredo
06-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Now I'm undecided between these 2 Michelin. Prices are from tire rack before shipping:

Pilot SS. $835 staggered set. UTQG 300. Warranty 30k miles.
Pilot Sport A/S 3. $821 staggered set. UTQG 500. Warranty 45k miles.

I know the SS are the best, and I really want to try them. But the AS 3 will last more (apparently). I already have the AS 3 on my Mini Cooper and e90 (front ones only). No complaints so far. I never track the car plus my driving is not aggressive.

Thoughts ?

Vas
06-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Well the main difference is that one is a summer tire and the other one is an all-season tire. Depending on your location, do you need an all-season tire? Personally I would do the Pilot SS.

fredo
06-26-2015, 06:54 AM
Good point. I compared apples to oranges. I live in Texas, that could be a good excuse to try the Pilot SS.

yura
06-26-2015, 05:58 PM
IMO if you live in a region that gets any amount of snow in the winter, or regularly sees sub 7 degrees C temperatures, you owe it to yourself to have a dedicated set of winter tires, making all seasons generally pointless and summer tires a better choice.

My 335i had Pilot Sport A/S when I bought it. They didn't last anywhere near the warranty mileage, and I got about $200 back (as part of this warranty) when I went to the store the tires were bought at for a new set (of Pilot SS).

fredo
07-08-2015, 07:59 AM
I spotted a new 5 series in the parking lot at work. It comes with Michelin Primacy tires, that's what I have on the Saab. Would I consider them for the ZHP ? Probably not. My mind is set on the SS or AS 3.

Avetiso
07-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Loving my super sports. Car feels like t can just do anything.

UdubBadger
07-11-2015, 04:49 AM
PSS FTW

GoingHAM mobile

Au1994
01-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Opinions please Mafia team...needing new tires and pretty much decided on Continental Extreme Contacts. The question is DW or DWS? I'm in Georgia so it does get cold and when it snows we pretty much just shut the city down ��. I have Kumho Exta's on there now. They have been ok but definitely looking for an upgrade this time.

Thanks all!

fredo
01-04-2016, 12:54 PM
The Conti DW rears wear out quickly. Vas reported a 13,000 miles life span. I can't tell about mine because they came with the car. The outer edges were still ok, but the inner section was really worn out.

Then, I would suggest to try DWS.

Vas
01-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Opinions please Mafia team...needing new tires and pretty much decided on Continental Extreme Contacts. The question is DW or DWS? I'm in Georgia so it does get cold and when it snows we pretty much just shut the city down ��. I have Kumho Exta's on there now. They have been ok but definitely looking for an upgrade this time.

Thanks all!

I will share my experience with the Conti DW. Stock sizing for the zhp.

Based on my records I bought a new set from tirerack for my wife's zhp back in 10/9/14 when the car had 122,858. This past weekend I took them off and put the winter set-up on her car. Date is 1/2/16 and mileage on the car is 135,830. So that is roughly 12,972 and a little bit over a year of use.

Pressure set was 34 front / 36 rear. Factory alignment specs.

The rear tires have worn down to the wear indicators in the center. The outside of the tires are still okay but they will not pass inspection here where I live.
The front tires are still in good condition and still have a good amount of rubber left. I did not measure the depth but can with my depth gauge.

My guess is that I will be able to get another 13,000 miles on them. So I will buy another set of rears and run them till the front are gone.

I understand they are summer tires but the UTQG rating is 340 AA A. I was expecting a little bit more out of them to be honest especially with the car just being a daily driver. But the wife liked them and I did as well. Pretty great in the dry and really awesome in the wet. Quite and comfy.

EDIT:

MY other zhp has Bridgestone Potenza S04. I got almost 22,000 miles on the rear tires.

My suggestions is to go with those instead.

BMWCurves
01-04-2016, 02:33 PM
That's strange. On my father's 540i, he easily gets 20k+ miles on them in a 235/40R17 size (I think). Even wear. Maybe our chassis just wears differently with that compound, or maybe the Conti compound's changed?

az3579
01-04-2016, 02:56 PM
You may want to check your alignment. That mileage is premature.

danewilson77
01-04-2016, 04:50 PM
I have ~30k on my Conti's.

I rotate every oil change. Front to back.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Vas
01-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Alignment is dead on. The car even has less negative camber ( -1.5) vs (-2.0) that it calls for. I did a rotation side to side at 7500k.

ELCID86
01-04-2016, 05:48 PM
A tad off topic, but just noticed this Conti PureConact on Nolan's Golf. Any idea what could have caused this? It goes all the way around like his ran over a knife. Could it be material flaw or suspect road debris? Tires are pretty new.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

danewilson77
01-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Looks like a defect or dry rot to me. Date of tires?

ELCID86
01-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Looks like a defect or dry rot to me. Date of tires?

4014. I'll contact Tirerack.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

UdubBadger
01-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Yeah that's rot for sure. I hate to say it but the rubber conti has used in the past has had some issues. That being said always my go to tire but if you track/autox it's worth the jump from DW to PSS.

GoingHAM mobile

ryankokesh
01-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Dang, no bueno.

Au1994
01-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the the guidance thus far! It helps!

ELCID86
01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Yeah that's rot for sure. I hate to say it but the rubber conti has used in the past has had some issues. That being said always my go to tire but if you track/autox it's worth the jump from DW to PSS.

GoingHAM mobile

Rot is what Andy at T/R said when I spoke to him just now. He's forward it to the "tire support team" for further instructions.

---

UdubBadger
01-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Rot is what Andy at T/R said when I spoke to him just now. He's forward it to the "tire support team" for further instructions.

---

So he's transferring you to Ryan?

GoingHAM mobile

ryankokesh
01-05-2016, 01:44 PM
So he's transferring you to Ryan?

GoingHAM mobile

For Shawn's sake, I really hope not.

ELCID86
01-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Lol. I asked him if he knew you! Are you in South Bend?

---

ryankokesh
01-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Lol. I asked him if he knew you! Are you in South Bend?

---

Haha, I am, but I'm in the new "annex" building so I don't know many of the sales guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Haha, I am, but I'm in the new "annex" building so I don't know many of the sales guys.

You need to get out more!

---

ryankokesh
01-05-2016, 06:23 PM

---

Hah, tell me about it

UdubBadger
01-05-2016, 08:01 PM

---

That's what I keep telling him. No way he'll ever meet a nice boy and settle down if he says locked in his cubicle all day.

GoingHAM mobile

BADCLOWN
01-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Really need some help in choosing tires sizes for my 19x8.5 19x9.5 BBS CH wheels

Vas
01-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Really need some help in choosing tires sizes for my 19x8.5 19x9.5 BBS CH wheels

Since the wheels are not a square set-up, I would stay with a staggered tire size. I would run a 235/255 section width

BADCLOWN
01-06-2016, 09:34 AM
yeah, i wasn't planning on running the same tire size on all 4 corners. especially with a 1 inch width difference.

UdubBadger
01-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Eh that all depends what you can get away with in front. I usually run wider rims in rear with same width rubber. If anything it at least looks better

GoingHAM mobile

ryankokesh
01-07-2016, 04:56 AM

What are you looking for... Guessing a summer tire? Tracking it?

Eh that all depends what you can get away with in front. I usually run wider rims in rear with same width rubber. If anything it at least looks better

GoingHAM mobile

Yeah, you do a lot of weird shit...

UdubBadger
01-07-2016, 05:44 AM
What are you looking for... Guessing a summer tire? Tracking it?

Yeah, you do a lot of weird shit...
Strangely it all started when I met you... hmmmm

ryankokesh
01-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Strangely it all started when I met you... hmmmm

What can I say... I help people figure themselves out.

ELCID86
01-07-2016, 06:19 AM

---

So I had to buy a new tire and pay to ship it to me and they are paying to ship the old tire back for inspection and if found bad, they will prorate a refund. :-/

---

BADCLOWN
01-07-2016, 09:10 AM
No tracking, looking for a performance all season, may go with the continental dws/same stuff I just put on the 135s a few months ago

Vas
01-07-2016, 09:13 AM
FYI DWS is no longer around and got replaced with a new version.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15335-New-Conti-replacement-for-DWS-quot-Extreme-Contact-DWS06-quot

UdubBadger
01-07-2016, 10:51 AM
DWS06 looks very promising

GoingHAM mobile

BADCLOWN
01-07-2016, 01:24 PM
That's what I meant/got for the zhp

ecrabb
02-09-2016, 09:50 AM
Just following up on this... I decided to limp the car through the fall so it wouldn't sit all winter on brand new tires. Right-rear wouldn't hold air anymore after it got cold out. Did the soap/water trick and it was leaking all around the bead. So, back to decision time.

I'm looking at...
Michelin PSS - $900
Bridgestone S-04 PP - $715
Conti Extreme Contact DW - $685

Prices include about $75 worth of shipping.

I'm leaning heavily toward PSS. They're extremely well-regarded and the reviews and ratings are exceptional. People do bitch about the noise, though. These are going on a vert, so the top will be down most of the time, this is a fun/weekend car, and I'll be surprised if I put 5,000 miles a year on, so I'm not sure noise is a concern. Clearly, there's a reason a lot of very expensive sports cars ship from the factory with these tires.

I'm not extremely price-sensitive, but the difference between the PSS's and the Bridgestones almost pays for half my wheel refinishing.

I guess I'm just looking for somebody to push me over the edge and tell me the PSS's are worth every penny and I won't regret it for a second.

Thanks,
SC

slater
02-09-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm leaning heavily toward PSS. They're extremely well-regarded and the reviews and ratings are exceptional. People do bitch about the noise, though. These are going on a vert, so the top will be down most of the time, this is a fun/weekend car, and I'll be surprised if I put 5,000 miles a year on, so I'm not sure noise is a concern. Clearly, there's a reason a lot of very expensive sports cars ship from the factory with these tires.

I'm not extremely price-sensitive, but the difference between the PSS's and the Bridgestones almost pays for half my wheel refinishing.

I guess I'm just looking for somebody to push me over the edge and tell me the PSS's are worth every penny and I won't regret it for a second.

Thanks,
SC

the PSS are amazing, and i don't know what you mean about the noise, because i find them pretty quiet.

based on those prices, if money is tight, i'd go with the S-04PP over the conti DW any day of the week - it's a LOT more tire for $30.

however... this may help you with the PSS - discount tire direct is running a promo from 2/8 until 2/15, where you can get a $100 visa gift card if you buy a set of 4 tires - the michelins are included - so you could get them for $765 shipped, in essence. they don't carry the S-04PP right now, so maybe that helps?

:cheers

Vas
02-09-2016, 10:10 AM
If you got money to blow, go for the pilot SS. If not then s04.

NoVAphotog
02-09-2016, 10:15 AM
If you got money to blow, go for the pilot SS. If not then s04.

+1

Pretty much sums it up.

fredo
02-09-2016, 10:21 AM
I have the Conti DW on the ZHP. They are good, but next time I'm going with Michelin A/S 3. I already have Michelin on my 2 other cars so the ZHP is next.

BMWCurves
02-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Since you'll be putting so few miles on it, I'd say go for the PSS. I've heard nothing really bad about them except for their longevity.

the PSS are amazing, and i don't know what you mean about the noise, because i find them pretty quiet.

based on those prices, if money is tight, i'd go with the S-04PP over the conti DW any day of the week - it's a LOT more tire for $30.

however... this may help you with the PSS - discount tire direct is running a promo from 2/8 until 2/15, where you can get a $100 visa gift card if you buy a set of 4 tires - the michelins are included - so you could get them for $765 shipped, in essence. they don't carry the S-04PP right now, so maybe that helps?

:cheers

Huh, I've had nothing but good experiences with Conti DW, you like the S-04PP? The DW has been great in the wet, which is sort of a constant here.

However, I do need new tires for my APEXes when the come...that $100 off makes it $612 for PSS in 245/40R17...

I have the Conti DW on the ZHP. They are good, but next time I'm going with Michelin A/S 3. I already have Michelin on my 2 other cars so the ZHP is next.

Just for continuity's sake, change in preferences, or some issue you had with the DW?

slater
02-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Huh, I've had nothing but good experiences with Conti DW, you like the S-04PP? The DW has been great in the wet, which is sort of a constant here.

However, I do need new tires for my APEXes when the come...that $100 off makes it $612 for PSS in 245/40R17...

hmm, i need to get a set for my style 68s... i'll have to look at that more closely and check the ol' exchange rate...

re: the DW - they're just really soft in the sidewall. too floaty for me.

fredo
02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Just for continuity's sake, change in preferences, or some issue you had with the DW?

I noticed tramlining when I bought the car. Right now seems to be ok, maybe I got used to it. Also, the rear tires wear super fast. Vas and I believe there's something wrong with the tire design for the ZHP size (255-35-18). It's the middle section that wears out, the edges will still be ok.

Vas
02-09-2016, 11:21 AM
I like the Conti DW in the wet alot and they are nice in the dry. However they wear really fast for some odd reason. Plus they are on the softer side with the sidewalls compared to the S04 and Pilot SS.

BMWCurves
02-09-2016, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your input, guys! I've never encountered those issues before, but definitely something to consider.

How good/bad are PSS in the wet and/or cold? That's my real worry if I went with them since it's those two weather patterns 6 months of the year here.

fredo
02-09-2016, 12:48 PM
How good/bad are PSS in the wet and/or cold? That's my real worry if I went with them since it's those two weather patterns 6 months of the year here.

That's why I plan to buy Michelin A/S 3 when the times arrives. I live in TX, but a little peace of mind never hurts.

slater
02-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your input, guys! I've never encountered those issues before, but definitely something to consider.

That's why I plan to buy Michelin A/S 3 when the times arrives. I live in TX, but a little peace of mind never hurts.

the PSS are not meant for sub-40F temps, however i also have a set of A/S-3's (on ym Style 68s) and while they are an 'all season' tire, they get pretty greasy below 40F as well - not sure you encounter those temps in texas (or oregon), but if the temps are close i'd take the PSS, they have better feel and better dry grip.

BMWCurves
02-09-2016, 01:14 PM
the PSS are not meant for sub-40F temps, however i also have a set of A/S-3's (on ym Style 68s) and while they are an 'all season' tire, they get pretty greasy below 40F as well - not sure you encounter those temps in texas (or oregon), but if the temps are close i'd take the PSS, they have better feel and better dry grip.

That pretty much writes the PSS off for me then. Sub 40F is common here in the winter, while the DW's tend to do alright here in the frigid months.

Vas
02-09-2016, 01:38 PM
That pretty much writes the PSS off for me then. Sub 40F is common here in the winter, while the DW's tend to do alright here in the frigid months.

Either Michelin AS3 or the new Conti DwS 09

jiggz
02-09-2016, 02:06 PM

I wouldn't worry about it William. I'm in Seattle (same weather as Portland) and the PSS's have been great/no issues. Assuming just DD type driving…

ecrabb
02-09-2016, 02:32 PM

Wow, I'm surprised to hear some drive the PSS at cold temps!

I think the PSS and other summer performance tires are designed for warm temps. It compromises wet/cold performance in favor of ultimate dry performance. Wet is probably manageable with the PSS, cold probably isn't good, but still manageable, but cold and wet is a bad combo with summer tires. I think if you have to do much driving at all anywhere near freezing temps, a summer performance tire isn't the right tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

That's what the "ultra performance all-season" category is about. It compromises some dry performance in favor of a compound and tread design that's better in cold and wet conditions. I would think if you want to run one tire all year, that a tire like the Conti DW or DWS or the Michelin PS A/S would be a much better choice in your neck of the woods.

If you want ultimate summer performance and ultimate cold/wet performance, then you have to go to separate sets.

SC

cakM3
02-09-2016, 03:04 PM
If you want ultimate summer performance and ultimate cold/wet performance, then you have to go to separate sets.

Not everyone does this but this is the route I went for my ZHP since it's my daily driver. :)

ecrabb
02-09-2016, 03:12 PM
This is kind of funny... File under, "Well, that escalated quickly!"

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/804200-michelin-pss-sub-freezing-performance.html

SC

ELCID86
02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
I drove my PSSs up until a few weeks ago. Truthfully I could not tell performance was much degraded in sub 40* (or even 30*) temps. They feel so much more planted than the current Blizzaks on her now.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Karl Lazlo
02-16-2016, 07:30 PM
I drove my PSSs up until a few weeks ago. Truthfully I could not tell performance was much degraded in sub 40* (or even 30*) temps. They feel so much more planted than the current Blizzaks on her now.

Frame of reference: 06 ZHP with Blizzack WS80 and 03 ZSP with Mich PSS.

Went from single digits yesterday to mid to high 50s today. Got home early from work and took my summer tire shod 330Ci out to play.

Second run of the evening I left the house and it was mid 40s. Plenty sticky for the "cooler" temps, dealt with standing water with aplomb. Until...

Stopped at commuter lot, as i got two phone calls that I knew would take a while and didn't have my headset. So, for safety and compliance sake, parked the car. For the ~75 minutes I was on the phone, temps dropped about 10 degrees F. Fired up the car and I got the 37 degree warning. In ten degrees, the tires went from fairly sticky, predictable and confident to: OH DEAR GOD! WHO PUT SKATEBOARD WHEELS ON MY BMW?

- No grip taking a sweeping uphill left for an on ramp. Hello DSC light.
- Felt like the things were out of balance as they settled and cooled.
- Found some ponding to "test" and didn't do a very good job of staying planted.

Again, best bet for colder temps is a dedicated set of winter meats. Based on anecdotal experience, I think ~40 degrees F is my limit for the PSS.

cakM3
02-17-2016, 02:41 AM
Good feedback on summer high performance tires in cold weather Ray! Glad to hear nothing bad happened to you while driving in the cold...

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

ecrabb
02-17-2016, 08:32 AM
Yeah, no kidding. This is really fascinating, though... I've heard there's a noticeable difference between the summer tires in warmer temps and near-freezing temps, but the stark difference is really interesting. Even more interesting are the significant differences of opinion. I wonder if other factors such as driving style, tire age, suspension settings or a combination of all those factors are exacerbating lack of tire grip for one guy and mitigating it for another. What else would explain how one person could say he can't even really tell a difference, while another says his car felt like it's on skateboard wheels? I guess it's all anecdotal, but wow!

SC

Karl Lazlo
02-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Yeah, no kidding. This is really fascinating, though... I've heard there's a noticeable difference between the summer tires in warmer temps and near-freezing temps, but the stark difference is really interesting. Even more interesting are the significant differences of opinion. I wonder if other factors such as driving style, tire age, suspension settings or a combination of all those factors are exacerbating lack of tire grip for one guy and mitigating it for another. What else would explain how one person could say he can't even really tell a difference, while another says his car felt like it's on skateboard wheels? I guess it's all anecdotal, but wow!

SC

Thanks. While the lack of grip wasn't that dramatic. For the likely casual driver, it may not even be noticed with the exception of additional harshness, but last night I specifically unbalanced the car to see what the difference would be, hence my skateboard wheels comment. Yes, there was a difference in levels of adhesion, but the tires were still very predictable and communicative.

Now, let's take this mental exercise a little further. For a couple of winters, I lived in Las Vegas. And yes, as Gary can attest to, the valley does get below freezing (at times). Now, let's discuss the differences:

Car was the same 2003 330Ci ZSP. The differences between then and now:

Then: Standard 18" staggered set up on Mich PS2
Now: 18" 255 square on Mich PSS

Then: Standard (OE) sport suspension
Now: Bilstein HD, stock springs, upgraded bushings, etc.

Then: Drove like an asshole.
Now: Drive like an asshole

I think the big difference between my experience last night compared to driving similar tires in Las Vegas comes down to a few factors:

1. Air temp vs Ground Temp. LV driving surfaces tend to stay warmer over time, especially considering the daylight hours compared to CT and the wider ranges (potentially) of air temperature over time.

2. Moisture on the driving surface last night. A little slicker than the dry 215 Beltway in Las Vegas.

3. Less slop (120K mile suspension vs. <50k miles on current stuff)

4. More grey hair last night compared to living in Las Vegas.

Karl Lazlo
02-17-2016, 09:57 AM
Good feedback on summer high performance tires in cold weather Ray! Glad to hear nothing bad happened to you while driving in the cold...

Nah, nothing bad or scary. Just very interesting to observe the differences in 10 degrees of air temp to the handling of my tires.

ecrabb
02-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks. While the lack of grip wasn't that dramatic. For the likely casual driver, it may not even be noticed with the exception of additional harshness, but last night I specifically unbalanced the car to see what the difference would be, hence my skateboard wheels comment. Yes, there was a difference in levels of adhesion, but the tires were still very predictable and communicative.
Make sense, and the additional info is definitely helpful for context.

Then: Drove like an asshole.
Now: Drive like an asshole
Classic! LOLs!

I've mellowed out a LOT compared to my younger years, but when I get in the ZHP, the asshole gene definitely wakes up.

SC

ELCID86
02-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Thanks for sharing Ray. I'm anxious to put my PSSs back on. They are calling for nor winter weather next week so I'm waiting.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

ecrabb
02-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Wow! I just got an email from Costco and they have a deal on Michelin right now - buy a set of four, get $70 off.

I added the tires to the cart and it comes up to $719.96 after the $70 off. With tax, I'm looking at right around $770.

Tire Rack is $822 in the cart, but with shipping, I'm just under $900, $130 more than Costco!

Anybody see any reason not to jump on the Costco deal?

SC

BMWCurves
02-23-2016, 10:43 PM
Wow! I just got an email from Costco and they have a deal on Michelin right now - buy a set of four, get $70 off.

I added the tires to the cart and it comes up to $719.96 after the $70 off. With tax, I'm looking at right around $770.

Tire Rack is $822 in the cart, but with shipping, I'm just under $900, $130 more than Costco!

SC

Stock size? I don't think I've heard of any issues buying from CostCo, I'd feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

I didn't realize you were looking for tires. Someone mentioned Discount Tire Direct was having a president's day sale last week. I checked out Michelin PSS in 245/40R17 and they could be had for $612 shipped (that's after a $100 prepaid visa rebate). I opted to stick with Continental DWs in the same size for $485 or so.

ecrabb
02-24-2016, 12:25 AM
I didn't realize you were looking for tires. Someone mentioned Discount Tire Direct was having a president's day sale last week. I checked out Michelin PSS in 245/40R17 and they could be had for $612 shipped (that's after a $100 prepaid visa rebate). I opted to stick with Continental DWs in the same size for $485 or so.
Damn, I was traveling and must have missed that deal. Somebody mentioned that site a few weeks go, and when I looked, the price was way higher than even Tire Rack when shipping was included. $612 is a smokin' deal.

Stock size? I don't think I've heard of any issues buying from CostCo, I'd feel comfortable pulling the trigger.
Yes. Stock sizes. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Tires were right at $720 with the $70 discount, but then taxes puts almost $60 back on the tab. The ordering system charges installation and disposal fees, but says those are credited back if the tires are just carried out. So, that puts me at about $780. I would have much rather paid $612, but oh well. It's going to be getting nice out and I want to get the wheels done and back on the car with the new tires to take advantage of the nice weather. I'm a couple of weeks behind already.

Cheers,
SC

slater
02-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Damn, I was traveling and must have missed that deal. Somebody mentioned that site a few weeks go, and when I looked, the price was way higher than even Tire Rack when shipping was included. $612 is a smokin' deal.

yes, but $612 was for 17" sizes. i think the 18's were around $710 delivered or so. that was an awesome deal!

ecrabb
02-24-2016, 09:53 AM
yes, but $612 was for 17" sizes. i think the 18's were around $710 delivered or so. that was an awesome deal!

Oh, good! Almost $170 difference was pretty painful, but $70 (from $710 to $780) isn't so bad. Thanks for the followup.

Cheers,
SC

BMWCurves
02-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Yup, sorry, thought my post was clear that was for the 17" size, not our stock size.

ecrabb
02-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Yup, sorry, thought my post was clear that was for the 17" size, not our stock size.

Re-reading it, you made it quite clear... I just totally ignored it. If you ask my wife, she'll tell you I have that technique down to a science. ;)

SC

GotZHP
02-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Add me as a fan of the PSS! Cold weather is none existing for me and it barely rains. Can not say enough good about the PSS and the price is fair in my opinion.

I was about to put them on my 2014 Subaru BRZ, and my GF is getting them on her 2014 Fiesta ST. When my ZHP needs new shoes, I will be picking up a set of these, no question, unless I give myself a larger tire budget

Edit: Another good cheap max performance summer tire is the Bridgestone RE050A. Very good grip, but could wear better. this is OEM on the Fiesta ST. Tire rack has them ~$550 a set of 4. Need to check prices and sizing though.

ecrabb
02-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Well, the Costco online tire order is a little weird.

- I placed the order late evening Tuesday 2/23.

- I got a shipping confirmation Wednesday 2/24 that indicated the rear pair was on the way from Sparks, Nevada to my local South Jordan, Utah Costco via UPS. It was on a single tracking number, set to arrive 2/26 and tracking indicates they did indeed arrive at 10:30 this morning. The shipping weight was 49.50 pounds.

- I then got another shipping confirmation yesterday, this time a FedEx tracking number. There was only one tracking number, and from the weight, it's clear it's only one tire. So, I went online to Costco's order status, and there are two separate tracking numbers, 22.8 lbs, so one tire/ea. They shipped Wednesday 2/24, but didn't leave the FedEx facility until today, to arrive Tuesday 3/1. They're coming from Romeoville, IL.

Good thing I wasn't in a big hurry!

It's weird that they had to ship tires from Illinois to Utah. They didn't have a distribution center anywhere in the mountain or pacific time zones that had two 225/40ZR18 Michelin PSS's?

It will be interesting to see the manufacture date on the two pairs since they're coming from two completely different parts of the country.

SC

NorCalZman
02-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I ordered PSS tires from Costco. They also had to be shipped to my local store. Took 4-5 days for all the tires to arrive. I won't hesitate to buy them again and specifically from Costco. Great price, free extras like nitrogen, balance, rotation. They were very professional and treated my car with respect (one even told me how much he loved the e46).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ecrabb
02-26-2016, 03:03 PM
I ordered PSS tires from Costco. They also had to be shipped to my local store. Took 4-5 days for all the tires to arrive. I won't hesitate to buy them again and specifically from Costco. Great price, free extras like nitrogen, balance, rotation. They were very professional and treated my car with respect (one even told me how much he loved the e46).
I'm not having this set mounted there. I'm getting the wheels refurbished, and I figured if I have the guys that are powder-coating the wheels mount and balance the tires, there can't be any excuses for having the new finish scratched or gouged.

Good to know, though! With two other vehicles, I know I'm going to be needing a set of tires in the next year or so. The Costco I frequent is pretty new, and every time I walk buy, I notice how nice and neat the shop is.

SC

UdubBadger
02-29-2016, 05:01 AM
Good choice

GoingHAM mobile

ELCID86
02-29-2016, 05:49 PM

SC

I did that last year!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

ecrabb
03-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Well, lookie here!

SC

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/e5fcd0d088765f2d5c3548445489bc13.jpg

ecrabb
03-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Guys...

I just checked all the date codes...

The rears are 3415 and 3515, so September or about 25 weeks/6 months ago.

The fronts are 1515 and 1615, so March/April or damn near a year ago. What do you guys feel is reasonable for how old a new tire should be?

Most manufacturers recommend replacing the tires when they're five years beyond the date of manufacture, so that's nearly 20%!

Thoughts?

SC

fredo
03-03-2016, 04:31 AM
Wait a sec. Did u say 3414 and 3415 for rears ? They are one year apart then.

ecrabb
03-03-2016, 06:43 AM
Wait a sec. Did u say 3414 and 3415 for rears ? They are one year apart then.

Oops... Sorry! They're 3415 and 3515, ie a week apart August of last year.

From a couple of the articles I read, it sounds like a year to 18 months or so isn't that atypical for less-common sizes of certain tires. Motorcycle tires can be even older.

Apparently, for service interval, you use the "in-service" date of the tire if known, and revert to the tire date *only if you don't know the actual date the tire went in service*.

Unless somebody knows something more, I think it's OK.

SC

fredo
03-03-2016, 08:30 AM
Agreed, you should be fine. Thanks for the info about "in-service" date. That's news to me.

ELCID86
03-03-2016, 05:18 PM
I would expect them to be <12 months old. Preferably <6 months.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Vas
03-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Discount Tire Direct right has $100 off on a set of 4 tires.

Shall I pull the plug on a set of 4 Conti DW? Comes out to $552 shipped. Tirerack is $611.50 before shipping.

Got till 3/16 to decide.

BMWCurves
03-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Shall I pull the plug on a set of 4 Conti DW? Comes out to $552 shipped. Tirerack is $611.50 before shipping.

Got till 3/16 to decide.

My four Continental ExtremeContact DW tires in 245/40R17 size came to about $482 with a $75 discount. Is your size eligible for $100?

Speaking of which, I just received the $75 prepaid card today.

KevinC
03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
I've been running DW's on my ZHP for a while now, LOVE them, and they seem to be wearing very well. Will definitely continue to use them. Added bonus: they are about 2 lbs lighter than the PSS's I replaced, which was immediately noticeable. 2 lbs per corner is not an insignificant unsprung weight reduction.

Vas
03-14-2016, 12:32 PM
$552 is the price with the $100 off if ordered through the ebay store they have.

What pressure do you guys have them set at?

Last set I got 15k on the rear and the front are choppy.

The rear are worn only in the middle. Outside is fine and I ran them at 36 psi.

slater
03-14-2016, 12:39 PM
$552 is the price with the $100 off if ordered through the ebay store they have.

What pressure do you guys have them set at?

Last set I got 15k on the rear and the front are choppy.

The rear are worn only in the middle. Outside is fine and I ran them at 36 psi.

why not try a different tire, then? :)

i picked up a set of 225/45/17 + 245/40/17 michelin PSS from the DTD ebay store for $548 shipped! :cheers

fredo
03-14-2016, 01:47 PM

Got till 3/16 to decide.

I believe that's a good deal. Do you know how much to mount & balance the tires ? I paid $409 OTD for 2 rear tires (Conti DW 255 35 18) on DT back in October.

Vas
03-14-2016, 01:55 PM
The other tire options would be Bridgestone S04 or Pilot SS which are more expensive. Unless I step down to an all-season or a different category of a summer tire? I am open to suggestions. These are going on the wife's car so no need for anything excessive.

Not sure about the exact cost of mount and balance 4 tires.

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Why not DWS. She doesn't have winter wheels, correct?

---

Lublisha
03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Discount tire usually runs ~80 for install and other fees in my experience. Just to throw in my two cents, huge fan of PSS though I haven't ran them on a ZHP (yet)

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 03:25 PM
Discount tire usually runs ~80 for install and other fees in my experience. Just to throw in my two cents, huge fan of PSS though I haven't ran them on a ZHP (yet)

That are the bee's knees.

---

san
03-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Why not DWS. She doesn't have winter wheels, correct?

---

+1

I have been using dws 06 for the last 6 months or so and I have been happy with them... They are not as good as summer tires for spirited driving but they handle an inch of snow pretty well... Highly recommend them if you are not looking for performance oriented tires...

Vas
03-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Got a set of dedicated winters for it.

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Got a set of dedicated winters for it.

That's a game changer then.

---

brewer90
03-17-2016, 10:29 AM
I had PSSs on mine for the last 24k but they were getting used up and the wet weather traction was bad. I went with Pilot A/S3s this time. They do ride smoother than the PSSs but I can feel the sidewall flex upon turn in to corners. It's not bad but it's different. They do grip well though. The one thing I really do like is that they don't seem to grab onto road irregularities like the PSSs did. At times I'd feel like they were trying to pull me in a completely different direction - so much so that I wondered if I had a suspension issue. That whole thing went away with the A/S3s.

fredo
03-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Brewer90 ... long time no see ! Let's meet up one of these days. How are things going with the NAV unit ?

terraphantm
03-17-2016, 10:48 AM
I will share my experience with the Conti DW. Stock sizing for the zhp.

Based on my records I bought a new set from tirerack for my wife's zhp back in 10/9/14 when the car had 122,858. This past weekend I took them off and put the winter set-up on her car. Date is 1/2/16 and mileage on the car is 135,830. So that is roughly 12,972 and a little bit over a year of use.

Pressure set was 34 front / 36 rear. Factory alignment specs.

The rear tires have worn down to the wear indicators in the center. The outside of the tires are still okay but they will not pass inspection here where I live.
The front tires are still in good condition and still have a good amount of rubber left. I did not measure the depth but can with my depth gauge.

My guess is that I will be able to get another 13,000 miles on them. So I will buy another set of rears and run them till the front are gone.

I understand they are summer tires but the UTQG rating is 340 AA A. I was expecting a little bit more out of them to be honest especially with the car just being a daily driver. But the wife liked them and I did as well. Pretty great in the dry and really awesome in the wet. Quite and comfy.

EDIT:

MY other zhp has Bridgestone Potenza S04. I got almost 22,000 miles on the rear tires.

My suggestions is to go with those instead.

RTABs ever replaced on the car?

I had PSSs on mine for the last 24k but they were getting used up and the wet weather traction was bad. I went with Pilot A/S3s this time. They do ride smoother than the PSSs but I can feel the sidewall flex upon turn in to corners. It's not bad but it's different. They do grip well though. The one thing I really do like is that they don't seem to grab onto road irregularities like the PSSs did. At times I'd feel like they were trying to pull me in a completely different direction - so much so that I wondered if I had a suspension issue. That whole thing went away with the A/S3s.

Personally I think A/S3s are more than sufficient for something with as little power as the ZHP. I'm going to get the A/S3 plus myself (supposed to be pretty similar, except better in snow)

Vas
03-17-2016, 11:10 AM
RTABs ever replaced on the car?

Personally I think A/S3s are more than sufficient for something with as little power as the ZHP. I'm going to get the A/S3 plus myself (supposed to be pretty similar, except better in snow)

Have not replaced the rtab yet. What are the symptoms of bad ones?

slater
03-17-2016, 11:10 AM

i have a set of the AS3's now (not the plus), and they're not awesome in the snow. they are pretty greasy below 40ºF.

slater
03-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Have not replaced the rtab yet. What are the symptoms of bad ones?

squirm under acceleration, and accelerated tire wear. :)

Vas
03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
So got the catalog today from tirerack. Pretty sure I'm set on trying a set of the new Kumho Ecsta ps91.

They are a new release for 2016.

Opinions on kumho? I used to have a set back in the day but it's been a while.

BMWCurves
03-22-2016, 07:03 PM
I had some sort of Kumho tires on my 2003 330Ci when I was in Philly. They were summer tires but I remember them being good noise wise but so so on comfort and performance. That's not really helpful since I can't remember the model, the tire's age, or anything else about them really.

slater
03-22-2016, 09:36 PM
i've owned exactly one set of kumhos. they were out of round when cold. this was maybe 11 years ago, but they were awful even though they warmed up.

ecrabb
03-22-2016, 11:10 PM
I put a set of Kumho Ecsta ASXs on my wife's Maxima. I didn't have any problems, but we only had the car for 18 months and 10k miles or so before I sold it.

A pothole did put a bulge in the sidewall, but it was a nasty pothole and I think it would have done the same with almost any tire. I was surprised it didn't need a wheel and suspension repair it was such a hard hit. Glad to be gone from that crap!

Reviews are mixed, but it seems like people who remember that they're less-expensive tires are happier with them.

Cheers,
SC

Vas
03-23-2016, 05:30 AM
I found 1 review from the UK on the M3 Board.

See here http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954272

They seem promising.

NorCalZman
03-23-2016, 08:05 AM
2 or 3 of the used cars I bought had "newish" Kumho Ecstas on them. It would seem its the cheap tire people throw on right before they sell the car in order to say in their ad "new tires." I wish the owners would have just saved their money, gave me a little discount, and let me pick GOOD tires. They were awful on all my cars. wore fast. Got noisy and uncomfortable. I will never buy Kumhos with my own money. Michelin has my loyalty now until another tire beats the PSS.

Vas
03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Pss are way out of the budget and means for the car.

It's either these new Kumho or another set of conti dw.

slater
03-23-2016, 08:53 AM
what about the bridgestone RE760 or bfg g-force2?

Vas
03-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Reviews on those are they are very noisy.

alexandre
03-30-2016, 05:12 AM
Installed DWS06 a week ago. Absolutely love them!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160330/3eb2a3b21d248eb0d7ae2ded5bfce658.jpg

ELCID86
03-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Installed DWS06 a week ago. Absolutely love them!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160330/3eb2a3b21d248eb0d7ae2ded5bfce658.jpg

Will you use them year-round or switch to winters (after October!:)

GotZHP
03-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Anyone else having the problem with PSSs being back ordered from the Manufacturer?

Apparently they are 4 to 6 weeks back logged.

alexandre
03-31-2016, 09:39 AM
Will you use them year-round or switch to winters (after October!:)

Moving to the west for work after graduating! So it'll be year round. I did test them in the snow over here (4 inches the day after the install) and they're excellent.

ELCID86
03-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Moving to the west for work after graduating! So it'll be year round. I did test them in the snow over here (4 inches the day after the install) and they're excellent.

Awesome all around. Hope you love it out there thigh we'll miss you back east for the reunions.

alexandre
03-31-2016, 09:55 AM
Awesome all around. Hope you love it out there thigh we'll miss you back east for the reunions.

I'll probably fly in for the TN one. I've accumulated a half million miles putting student association expenses on my credit card and working sign-up bonuses and I'd love to visit the area!

ELCID86
04-01-2016, 05:44 PM
I'll probably fly in for the TN one. I've accumulated a half million miles putting student association expenses on my credit card and working sign-up bonuses and I'd love to visit the area!

Awesome. I hope you can.

Vas
04-30-2016, 12:15 PM
Any opinions on the new hankook ventus v12 evo2? $100 sale starting tomorrow so a full set is $422.

ELCID86
04-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Can't beat that price.

rguti153
04-30-2016, 01:32 PM
Any opinions on the new hankook ventus v12 evo2? $100 sale starting tomorrow so a full set is $422.
Where at vas ? I know tirerack had the 100 mail in rebate when u purchse a set

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Vas
04-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Where at vas ? I know tirerack had the 100 mail in rebate when u purchse a set

Discount tire direct. Prices is with the rebate included.

rguti153
04-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Damn

Vas
04-30-2016, 03:17 PM
Yeah so I ordered a full set for the wife's car.

fredo
04-30-2016, 03:18 PM

$422 on stock 18" staggered size ?

Vas
04-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Just noticed a mistake.

$552.86 shipped minus $100 rebate. So $452.86 shipped.

Rebate has to be mailed in though. Just a heads up.

And correct. Stock zhp sizes.

rguti153
05-01-2016, 06:21 PM
yeah that's what tirerack.com has to the 100 mail in rebate American express gift card from what I remember

Vas
05-01-2016, 06:43 PM
yeah that's what tirerack.com has to the 100 mail in rebate American express gift card from what I remember

Hoping they ship tomorrow for delivery and install by the end of the week

holyc0w
06-18-2016, 09:01 AM
I bought a set of Continental DW's, but the Firehawk Indy 500's looked pretty interesting. Apparently they are a re-branded set of Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003's. $417 for a staggered set at Tire Rack and there's also a $60 rebate card.

28firefighter
04-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Sorry to bump a very old thread - but am going to be shopping for a set of tires soon for the ZHP. Have it narrowed down to 4 options: Michelin PSS, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, Michelin Pilot A/S 3+, or Continental DWS06. While the ZHP is primarily a nice, warm weather car for me, I was thinking having an A/S wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'm not settled on that.

The Firehawks are the bargain of the bunch - $600 installed after tax at Firestone. The Contis would be about 850 installed and the Michelins just under $1000 installed for both the PSS or the A/S 3+. Anyone have any experience with the Firehawks, good/bad/otherwise?

John in VA
04-02-2020, 11:15 AM
The Firehawks don't seem to be as popular here (from searching this thread) as with F3x owners. They state 80% of the performance of the PSS for 50% the cost. We had the A/S 3 and 3+ on my wife's E46 & they did well, but she's not carving the corners!

Galapolis
04-02-2020, 11:49 AM
I'm on my 3rd set of Firehawks. I just keep coming back to them because of the price to performance ratio. They aren't far behind the PS4 in terms of grip. They also do well even after extended abuse. I haven't been able to get them to overheat. I'm in NC and I can use them all year long. Wet performance is excellent too. The only time I have to avoid driving is when it snows, so maybe one or two days a year. I usually get around 15-20k miles out of a set, though you can get up to 30k if you drive normally and not like a maniac.

28firefighter
04-02-2020, 12:17 PM
This is what I'm struggling with - not that I want to cheap out on tires, but the Firehawks seem to get really good reviews. They don't have any kind of treadlife warranty, which is a bit surprising, but otherwise seems like a really good value.

Galapolis
04-02-2020, 12:57 PM
What makes you feel like you are cheaping out with Firehawks? If you don't like the Firestone brand, remember that the Firehawks are Bridgestone RE003 tires.

28firefighter
04-02-2020, 01:12 PM
Mainly because I’ve always bought Michelins or Contis when I had to buy.

28firefighter
04-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Decided to order the Firehawks. Discount Tire was willing to meet and beat Firestone and is much closer to my house. $575 installed — too good to pass up. Stay tuned!

Will
04-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Decided to order the Firehawks. Discount Tire was willing to meet and beat Firestone and is much closer to my house. $575 installed — too good to pass up. Stay tuned!

Wow, $575 installed?! that's the price of 2 PS4s...

Keep us posted with your impressions.

28firefighter
04-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Was supposed to have them installed yesterday, but wound up sick. Decided to stay home out of an abundance of caution. Rescheduled for Friday.

holyc0w
07-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Michelin has come out with the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Supposedly they're pretty impressive. The new base Corvette comes equipped with them.

Skiptomylou
02-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Was supposed to have them installed yesterday, but wound up sick. Decided to stay home out of an abundance of caution. Rescheduled for Friday.

Hey 28firefighter thanks for bumping an old thread. Any updates with the Firehawks?

cakM3
02-10-2021, 04:35 AM
Michelin has come out with the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Supposedly they're pretty impressive. The new base Corvette comes equipped with them.

I went with these tires for my ZHP and absolutely love them :thumbsup

Skiptomylou
05-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Updating this thread, I ended up going with the Firehawks, and after 1000 miles they have been great. I was originally planning to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, but after reading reviews and seeing the reasonable price of the Firehawks, I am happy I went with them. Keep in mind I am in SoCal so inclement weather was not a major factor for me.

holyc0w
05-13-2021, 08:40 PM
I opted to go with the General G-Max RS. The price to performance ratio was too good to pass up. Though Continental is having issues stocking them now. Along with the Falken FK510, it's another tire to consider in the UHP category alongside the Firehawks.

My rears were worn on the Continental DWs and since the DW is no longer in stock, I opted to go with fresh rubber on all 4 corners. And I haven't been driving much, so I wanted to try out something different.