PDA

View Full Version : Trouble moving stick shift into gear

Go Horns!
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I can get the shifter into gear, but it feels like there is something in the gate holding me up from shifting the car into gear. With some extra pressure I can push past the resistance.

I've been poking around other forums and the interwebs, and it sounds like I need to do a CDV delete and bleed the clutch.

Anyone ever done this? Is there anything else that could be wrong? Should I go ahead and change the transmission and differential fluid?

It is a 2004 with 18,500 miles.

az3579
03-11-2011, 02:44 AM
Not sure. I would try changing the fluid first for easier and more smooth shifts. This helps eliminate a lot of the "notchiness".

kayger12
03-11-2011, 02:58 AM
+1 on the fluid change.

Does it seem like it gets better after you drive for a little while?

Is it every gear or just first gear?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 03:31 AM
How many miles on the clock?

I had a similar problem on my e30 that was compounded by a number of issues. The shift bushings were shot - so I picked up a kit to redo when the clutch was done. When it was apart, my indy mech found the shift linkage was cracked so he fixed by welding it.

Doesn't seem like a clutch hose/clutch fluid flush/slave cylinder issue affecting clutch engagement based on your description.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 03:34 AM
But clutch fluid flush is always a good idea if its been more than 25-30k miles since last done...

MasterC17
03-11-2011, 03:58 AM
My car is sometimes really reluctant to go into first gear. It also is pretty notchy shifting into second gear. Rest of the gears are fine. It does it more when it's cold than warm. I'm hoping a fluid change and CDV delete will help solve the issues.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 04:02 AM
But fluid flush is always a good idea if its been more than 25-30k miles since last done...

Sorry I should've been more specific - I was referring to clutch fluid flush/bleed.

kayger12
03-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Good point, Bill.

I was referring to manual trans fluid.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Crickett
03-11-2011, 05:53 AM
Sorry I should've been more specific - I was referring to clutch fluid flush/bleed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the clutch system just use the same fluid & reservoir as the brakes? I do recognize that you can bleed the clutch end of the system independently of the brakes, but doesn't it all come from the same place?

kayger12
03-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Correct. Partition for the clutch fluid within the brake reservoir I believe.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the clutch system just use the same fluid & reservoir as the brakes? I do recognize that you can bleed the clutch end of the system independently of the brakes, but doesn't it all come from the same place?

I clarified because there was discussion about trans and diff fluid change out.

This is the way my e30 was as well. The fluid in the line gets old and should be bled or flushed when you do the brake fluid flush/bleed. Keep an eye on the brake fluid resevoir level when bleeding/flushing - I use the Motive Products European Power Bleeder kit to keep the resevoir pressurized and level full.

ATE Gold or Super Blue FTW!

jjcools
03-11-2011, 07:46 AM
My car is sometimes really reluctant to go into first gear. It also is pretty notchy shifting into second gear. Rest of the gears are fine. It does it more when it's cold than warm. I'm hoping a fluid change and CDV delete will help solve the issues.

Mine feels the same, I just did the CDV delete and tranny fluid change. It is better but really still the same.

ZSP-Mafia
03-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Mine feels the same, I just did the CDV delete and tranny fluid change. It is better but really still the same.

Same here... Doesn't really concern me but I wonder if there's a cure.

kpro
03-11-2011, 09:33 AM
sometimes I set stuff in my shift boot and this same thing happens...lol. it won't go into gear and Im always like WTF? but then I realize my cell phone or bobby pins or something is blocking it from going in. I know my post probably doesn't help, but it never hurts to check the obvious.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Good call! I know I overlook the obvious sometimes.

az3579
03-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Bill,
I think you overlooked the mileage. He included it in the first post: 18,500 miles.
The only factors I can see are items that deteriorate due to age. Fluid is one of them.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Bill,
I think you overlooked the mileage. He included it in the first post: 18,500 miles.
The only factors I can see are items that deteriorate due to age. Fluid is one of them.

Thanks Botond. I did overlook the mileage - I somehow missed it on Tapatalk.

Good analysis and suggestion.