PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions (experience) New head unit or ipod adapter

ZHP330CI
06-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Hi guys,
Im looking for some suggestion on what you guys think would be the best way to go. I dont know if I should get a new Head unit or just get an ipod adapter and keep the oem radio. I have an ipod that I want to use in my zhp but Im not sure what to get.

1. If you think a new head unit with ipod connection is the way to go. Which head unit do you recommend?
2. If you think an ipod adapter is the way to go. Which adapter is known to work the best and have less problems?

Thanks

BMWCurves
06-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Some here will disagree, but personally the stock Harman Kardon radio is perfectly fine for my audio needs. Because of that, I installed the BMW Aux input cable so I could hook in any audio source with a 3.5mm jack. The BMW part number is 82110149389. If you google it you can find several vendors that sell it online. Fairly cheap and easy to install. You can see where I did it here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15714-William-s-330Ci-ZHP-Maintenance-and-Project-Thread&p=428295#post428295

ZHP330CI
06-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Some here will disagree, but personally the stock Harman Kardon radio is perfectly fine for my audio needs. Because of that, I installed the BMW Aux input cable so I could hook in any audio source with a 3.5mm jack. The BMW part number is 82110149389. If you google it you can find several vendors that sell it online. Fairly cheap and easy to install. You can see where I did it here: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?15714-William-s-330Ci-ZHP-Maintenance-and-Project-Thread&p=428295#post428295

Ok thanks,
My car actually has a OEM ipod interface but I cant get it to work no matter what I try.

az3579
06-24-2015, 08:13 AM
I was super happy with my stock radio and the Dension Gateway 300 iPod Integration kit. It had an older style 30-pin iPod connection (I think you can get a Lightning cable for it now), Aux, and USB connections. The iPod connection charged the iPod as well. Everything was integrated into the stock radio and had full steering wheel controls. I loved the way it was set up to browse devices and music, and this unit doesn't have the problems of the DICE units.

The one I have is an older model without Bluetooth, but it seems there are new models now that do everything mine does but with the added benefit of Bluetooth, specifically the Gateway Lite BT. I did a search and this is what I'd buy if I had Business CD radio:

http://www.amazon.com/Dension-Gateway-non-text-Bluetooth-Interface/dp/B008JDR5BW

This particular one doesn't come with cables, but you can buy the cables you want. So, if you have an older style iPod, you could buy the 30-pin cable, or the Lightning one if you have a newer style device.

Worth. Every. Penny.

PdZHP
06-24-2015, 09:55 AM
I have an BMW aux cable with a Aukey Portable Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 stashed in my dash storage compartment. Works great with my phone connected through BT or i just connect my ipod directly on longer trips.

PdZHP
06-24-2015, 09:56 AM
$15.99 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8FYUC2/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3HYXXGPB696E3

ZHP330CI
06-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys

KevinC
06-24-2015, 06:56 PM
USA*Spec iPod adapter works great in my ZHP. This is the DSP version, same as non-DSP but includes DSP cable.

http://amzn.com/B0016AOO6Y

NorCalZman
06-24-2015, 07:48 PM
The cheapest route, and the one I went with, is the OEM AUX cable attached to a Kinovo bluetooth dongle in my glovebox. Easy peasy. I mount the phone on my Bimmian mount.

ZHP330CI
06-25-2015, 03:31 AM
Thanks for all the advice. :)

johnrando
06-25-2015, 06:23 AM
I just thought of something, when I put in my Dynavin I will have my DICE Silverline iPod Adapter I could sell you. It's always worked (about 2-3 times a year I reboot it by unplugging/replugging), and it allows iPod control through the iPod or the radio controls. It also has an AUX cable too. This way you have more than just an audio cable and it will look integrated as everything is behind the scenes except the pin cable. This is for the original type connectors (not the new iPhone slim type connection). This model no longer sold by Dealers, but they are still on e-bay. The cool thing about this one is that early on they had some issues so when I called Dice, they asked if they could use my car/unit as a tester to fix the issues. So I gave them my car for a few days in Long Beach, CA and they gave me a new Mustang and a rental-loaner. My device has the "fix". I'll send you the PDF manual if you'd like some details on it.

They still sell them on e-bay etc for just over $100. You can have mine for $30. If you're not interested, np.

ZHP330CI
06-25-2015, 06:46 AM
I just thought of something, when I put in my Dynavin I will have my DICE Silverline iPod Adapter I could sell you. It's always worked (about 2-3 times a year I reboot it by unplugging/replugging), and it allows iPod control through the iPod or the radio controls. It also has an AUX cable too. This way you have more than just an audio cable and it will look integrated as everything is behind the scenes except the pin cable. This is for the original type connectors (not the new iPhone slim type connection). This model no longer sold by Dealers, but they are still on e-bay. The cool thing about this one is that early on they had some issues so when I called Dice, they asked if they could use my car/unit as a tester to fix the issues. So I gave them my car for a few days in Long Beach, CA and they gave me a new Mustang and a rental-loaner. My device has the "fix". I'll send you the PDF manual if you'd like some details on it.

They still sell them on e-bay etc for just over $100. You can have mine for $30. If you're not interested, np.

Nice thanks. I might take that too.

TLL0003
06-26-2015, 05:12 AM
I went with the soundplicity control iii. Stock look was important to me and I was able to route the cables up and out under the center arm rest. iPod connection sounds perfect, Bluetooth phone works decently well, but the Bluetooth sound music but doesn't sound all that great. It works for what I need. You could get the dynavin n6 if you're looking for a touch screen head unit

ELCID86
06-26-2015, 06:21 PM
I use the stock Biz CD with Aux jack and a Bluetooth dongle that goes into cig lighter charger. I need to look at the Auky as mine doesn't do phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
06-26-2015, 06:24 PM
USA*Spec iPod adapter works great in my ZHP. This is the DSP version, same as non-DSP but includes DSP cable.

http://amzn.com/B0016AOO6Y

Lightning adapter or 30-pin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk