PDA

View Full Version : New Posts vs Todays Posts

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Before I log in, I get an option on the link bar to go to "Todays Posts". After I log in, it changes to "New Posts".

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bill_schuster/loggedintitlebar.jpg

What makes sense: The posts that are in "Todays Posts" seem to be a chronological listing of all posts from today (marked by West Coast time). The "New Posts" seems to list posts that are the most recent.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bill_schuster/loggedouttitlebar-1.jpg

What doesn't: The only issue I have found (for me) is that the refresh rate on the "New Posts" link lags behind by minutes or even hours.

If you compare above and below images - take at approximately the same time - above times are PST, below times are EST. It seems I should have a few more posts showing in the 7 o'clock hour... 7:40... 7:25... 7:20...

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bill_schuster/loggedinnewpostlag-1.jpg

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Is there a way to set up what appears on the link bar in my settings? Can I add the "Todays Posts" search to a quick link?

Is there another way (other than subscribing to each and every thread) to stay on top of everything going on? Marcus, Dane, Keith? Anyone else?

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Here's what jumps out at me, Bill.

As a visitor (and not a member of this site) -- which is what you are before you log in -- all posts will appear on the site (whether you've read them or not). That's what is happening to you in the first picture.

In the second picture, when you are logged in as a member, you are only getting the posts that are new -- ones that you have not read yet. In that case, then, some threads will be omitted.

Note in that first picture that you're the last one to read two of the threads. They appear to be new to you in the first picture because you're not logged in. When you log in, though, the site knows that you have already read them, so they do not appear in your list in the second picture.

Let's use an example. In the first picture, you can see five posts that are really new. But those same threads do not appear in your second picture. In particular, see the threads that start with "new posts" and "most exciting things...." As a visitor, as I mentioned before, you get all of those -- even though you have clearly read them. In the second picture, after you have logged on, the site realizes that you've already read those same threads, so it tosses them out of your list of unread threads. You can see that there is a bigger gap between the two lists in time, because the "visitor" has, as far as the site is concerned, not read any of those threads in the first picture.

I do not experience this because I never log into the site. Instead, I check the box at the top of the site that says "remember me." The site recognizes the cookie on my hard drive and knows that I am a member. Therefore, no log in issues.

Let me know if this explanation makes sense. This is my first post of the day. :biggrin

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Makes perfect sense! Thank you!

This is not a huge issue for me.. just wondered what the difference was.

Sometimes I post and later want to see if what I posted makes sense or I realize what I said makes no sense... then I have to jump back to the subforum to find my post and re-read.

Or sometimes I just want to see that my post actually was accepted.

I do not usually log out - my browser security and privacy settings at work are ratcheted up. My cache and cookies clear out when I close out my browsers or at the end of the day.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Bill, it was my pleasure. Glad it made sense, too. You never know about the first post of the day. Ha!

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 09:18 AM
I was worried I was missing out on posts... :eeps hehe

It was one of my first posts also... which is why I had to edit it several times to have it make sense... :biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Nope. You are not missing any posts.