PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 12V Tire Inflator

az3579
07-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Today I purchased a Craftsman 12V Tire Inflator. The price was $34.9x plus tax, and was purchased at my local Sears next to the Milford Westfield Mall.

I was mainly looking for something compact and easily storable. I keep my tire inflator in the spare tire well in the plastic cover that covers the donut spare, so my requirement is that it must fit in there alongside my toolbag, torque wrench, and jumper cables. It's amazing how much fits in there, and this inflator just happens to fit perfectly.

After opening the package, I inspected the device itself. It is apparent that it is made in China with somewhat poor quality control. There was some plastic that looked a bit wavy, as well as non-finished edges which you can potentially cut yourself on (I'm not going to try though). Otherwise the unit is solid and doesn't creak. It has a rubberized red handle on it which prevents it from slipping out of your hand.

This unit has a pretty nice cable management system. It offers channels around the device to wrap the cables around and store the connectors in cut out recesses. The hose and cable stay nicely in their designated areas until you intentionally take them out. The various attachments are stored in a couple of different little cutout/cubby areas.

The 12V cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter is sufficiently long. You shouldn't have an issue reaching to the rear of even longer vehicles such as the 7-series long wheelbase versions.

This particular device has a treat in store. It comes with a tire pressure gauge that is stored on the unit itself. It is detachable, and can be used on its own. I'm not too sure how accurate it is quite yet because I don't have a "real" tire pressure gauge to test with yet as it's on order. Once it arrives, I'll compare the readouts and update this post.

I haven't yet had a chance to put any air in my tires since the supplied tire pressure gauge said I was above the pressure I was aiming for (the tires were hot after just coming back from a drive). I did check the tire of the Jeep in my neighbor's driveway that hasn't been used in over 6 months and as flat as it looked, it read 9 psi, which by my estimation seems accurate. I will compare the numbers with the real tire pressure gauge when it arrives.

Stay tuned for updates on how quickly the pump can fill a tire, noise/vibration levels, and accuracy of the included tire pressure gauge.

UPDATE 08/05/2015:

I've had a while to test this tire pump at this point. I have to say I am very pleased with its performance!

I set a baseline for the built-in tire pressure gauge to see how far off it was consistently. I compared the readings with a Longacre tire pressure gauge I ordered from Amazon. The built-in gauge consistently read about .5 psi higher than actual, which isn't too bad.

I also got a chance to test the "set it and forget it" feature. With this feature, you set the pressure you want your tires filled to, attach the hose, and let it rip. It will fill the tire to the specified pressure and then turn off. Because the built-in gauge reads high on its own, I set the pressure 1 psi higher than what I wanted the pressures to be since you can't adjust it in smaller than 1 psi increments. This was just fine, because I found that if I set it to something like 36 psi, it will fill to an actual 35 with just a hair above that. The amount of bleeding I'd have to do with my real pressure gauge is totally minimal, maybe a tap on the pressure release button and the job was done. The auto-fill feature of this gauge is quite excellent once you know what the differential is between the pressure it thinks and actual pressure.

Fill speed is very fast! This pump filled 3 psi (the most I was lower than desired) within seconds.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this pump and highly recommend it to others that are looking for a great space-saving, budget tire pump.

johnrando
07-06-2015, 05:06 PM
Looking forward to hearing how you like it after more use. Thanks for posting.

san
07-06-2015, 05:37 PM
I have the exact same pump, it does a descent job... The tire pressure indicator isn't very accurate though... It is off by 2 psi on mine... It shows one pressure while inflating and something lower once it stops inflating... It takes about 5 min to inflate a flat tire.. It's a good product for the price... Would recommend it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
07-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Looking forward to hearing how you like it after more use. Thanks for posting.

:thumbsup

I have the exact same pump, it does a descent job... The tire pressure indicator isn't very accurate though... It is off by 2 psi on mine... It shows one pressure while inflating and something lower once it stops inflating... It takes about 5 min to inflate a flat tire.. It's a good product for the price... Would recommend it...

Thanks for the feedback. Space was a priority with this unit. The previous one I had worked fine for over 8 years and I bought it for $5 at National Wholesale Liquidators! It still worked, until I let my mom borrow it and she lost it. :(

san
07-06-2015, 05:51 PM
:thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback. Space was a priority with this unit. The previous one I had worked fine for over 8 years and I bought it for $5 at National Wholesale Liquidators! It still worked, until I let my mom borrow it and she lost it. :(

$5!! Damn...

Not sure if u remember but at the reunion I told u that one my tires would deflate about 10psi per day during the winter, so this is what I used to inflate the tire... I used it at temperature close to -20f so I know it works well even in extreme wether conditions [emoji14]

az3579
07-07-2015, 02:55 AM
$5!! Damn...

Not sure if u remember but at the reunion I told u that one my tires would deflate about 10psi per day during the winter, so this is what I used to inflate the tire... I used it at temperature close to -20f so I know it works well even in extreme wether conditions [emoji14]

Good to know. I certainly am not going to be pumping up a tire in anything colder than 30 degrees though (call me a wimp), but it's good to know it's capable! I'm mainly going to use this for standard inflation maintenance and pressure adjustments at the track.

Tnhl1989
07-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Don't forget to keep a plug kit in the car as well. Had a flat going into Nyc and couldn't find a normal plug kit. Good thing I stopped by a mobile gas station and they plugged it for me.

cakM3
07-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah, a plug kit is a necessity when traveling out of town... you never know when you may just need this :thumbsup

az3579
07-07-2015, 01:09 PM
Don't need a plug kit. I have a donut spare. Thanks though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hcbeck2689
07-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Would I be correct in assuming this comes with the typical craftsman lifetime warranty?

-Holden

az3579
07-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Would I be correct in assuming this comes with the typical craftsman lifetime warranty?

-Holden

That warranty doesn't apply to everything, and it does not apply in this case either. This one carries a 1 year warranty.
The only things I've seen the lifetime apply to recently is their premium line of tools. The cheaper tools don't even get it.

az3579
08-05-2015, 03:27 PM
I've had a while to test this tire pump at this point. I have to say I am very pleased with its performance!

I set a baseline for the built-in tire pressure gauge to see how far off it was consistently. I compared the readings with a Longacre tire pressure gauge I ordered from Amazon. The built-in gauge consistently read about .5 psi higher than actual, which isn't too bad.

I also got a chance to test the "set it and forget it" feature. With this feature, you set the pressure you want your tires filled to, attach the hose, and let it rip. It will fill the tire to the specified pressure and then turn off. Because the built-in gauge reads high on its own, I set the pressure 1 psi higher than what I wanted the pressures to be since you can't adjust it in smaller than 1 psi increments. This was just fine, because I found that if I set it to something like 36 psi, it will fill to an actual 35 with just a hair above that. The amount of bleeding I'd have to do with my real pressure gauge was totally minimal, maybe a tap on the pressure release button and the job was done. The auto-fill feature of this gauge is quite excellent once you know what the differential is between the pressure it thinks and actual pressure.

Fill speed is very fast! This pump filled 3 psi (the most I was lower than desired) within seconds.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this pump and highly recommend it to others that are looking for a great space-saving, budget tire pump.

Johnmadd
08-05-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm gonna scoop one up because of the "BP approved" stamp.

danewilson77
08-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm gonna scoop one up because of the "BP approved" stamp.
+1

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

johnrando
08-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Glad it's working out. Send one to the New England Patriots. :biggrin

Johnmadd
08-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Glad it's working out. Send one to the New England Patriots. :biggrin

:rofl