PDA

View Full Version : Shock selection

Bird-Dog
07-14-2015, 08:11 AM
My son's ZHP coupe needs shocks. We knew the fronts were weeping when we bought it. Put it off a few months, but the time has come and I'm not 100% sure what I want to do, other than the fact that we will replace all 4 corners and try to keep base cost under $600 on his car (plus mounting hardware). Additionally, I'm expecting to put new shocks on my ZHP vert soon as well (which is the only reason the BR's are on the list - don't want to spend that much on son's car right now). We're at about 95K miles on the coupe and 85K on the vert right now, BTW.

Here's what I am considering:

Koni STR.T w/ stock ZHP springs $350 (son's car only)
Koni STR.T w/ H&R Sport springs $535 (son's car only)
Koni Sports w/ stock ZHP springs $580 (son's car and/or mine)
H&R Touring Cup Kit (w/ Springs) $600 (son's car and/or mine)
BC Racing BR-Type coilovers $1,000 (my car only)

Bav Auto says the STR.T's won't fit a ZHP. But, I've seen other threads talking about them here, so I have my doubts about that being correct info. Obviously, that's the cheapest way to go if we retain stock springs and the price is very appealing.

If we get into the $500-$600 range on his car I'm not sure if I can justify STR.T's w/ H&R Sport kit over the Koni yellows w/ stock springs for such little difference in price. Would need a very compelling reason. So realistically, it's probaly between Koni yellows and Touring Cup.

There's no doubt in my mind that Koni Sports are the better way to go. But if they're going to be wasted on a young driver, or really need additional cost of springs to go with them, I'd just as soon save the money and go with the STR.T's on his... wait for yellows or BR's on my ZHP vert when we get around to doing mine.

Also have heard a lot of favorable recommendations for the Touring Cup kit, so that's in the mix.

And for my car, wondering if the BR's are worth the premium over Koni yellows.

Any input would be appreciated.

NoVAphotog
07-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Hmm I think the Koni Yellows and the stock springs are great option having driven several cars with that setup. I don't think you can go wrong and for the price you can put them in both cars for the same price as the BR's...which...unless you want to "slam your ride" and/or feel the "need" for adjustment ability driving to work and school...are not worth it. Definitely positive reviews for both the BR and Cup Kit from several members who run them, so you can't go "wrong" there either, it's just more of a personal preference.

Good info in BMWCurves thread:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16182-Help-with-Suspension-Refresh-at-50k-miles-10-years

Vas
07-14-2015, 09:39 AM
My vote is for Koni Yellows. Price shipped is under $500

Links below

Use them with stock zhp springs unless you want to lower the car.

http://www.raceconsultingagency.com/koni/koni-shock-sport-series/80401271sport/i-101065.aspx
http://www.raceconsultingagency.com/koni/koni-shock-sport-series/87411390lsport/i-101113.aspx
http://www.raceconsultingagency.com/koni/koni-shock-sport-series/87411390lsport/i-101112.aspx

BMWCurves
07-14-2015, 09:45 AM
What Daniel and Vas have said, I think the Koni Sports on stock springs are a good option. Only downside is the rear shocks have to be removed to be adjusted, but no the end of the world. I wish I could speak from experience how the Konis are on the e46 platform, but I haven't installed them yet even though I have all the parts. Supposedly at full soft they're equitable to the Sachs stock struts/shocks, but a turn or so stiffer really makes the car nice, and you don't have to worry about scraping your bumper and such with a car on lowered springs.

EDS
07-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Have you looked at the Koni FSDs? They are $632 at tirerack right now. Slightly over your budget, but not by much.

After much research, I just ordered a set of Koni FSD shocks/struts as I had heard good things about them. Stock, I love how the ZHP corners but, over potholes and speed bumps the ride is abit stiff for me (Have to keep the women in my life happy). I'm hoping that the FSDs will soften the ride of large bumps, but increase performance slightly in the twisties. I'll be pairing them with stock springs. I'll report back once they are installed and I have a chance to test them.

Bird-Dog
07-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys!

Particularly appreciate the links for Koni Sports under $500, Vas. Great price! Could be that makes the decision right there!

Vas
07-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Multiple people have bought them from there.

BMWCurves
07-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Multiple people have bought them from there.

I should say the ones that I ordered from there arrived and all the part numbers are correct, but one of the struts (can't remember which one) has a rough yellow paint finish, while the other one has a smooth yellow finish like the rear shocks. Not sure what the deal is there, but I doubt it'll affect anything.

Bird-Dog
07-14-2015, 04:23 PM
What do I need in the way of recommended mounting hardware?

BMWCurves
07-14-2015, 04:33 PM
If you want the full shebang, you can take a look at my thread below. I opted to replace all ancillary parts, but you don't necessarily have to. Strut mounts, rear shock mounts, dust boots, bump stops, spring pads, etc:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16182-Help-with-Suspension-Refresh-at-50k-miles-10-years

I would suggest reinforced rear shock mounts and front strut reinforcement plates at a minimum to prevent mushrooming.

Just_George
07-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Can't say that I fully agree with the comments below (above?) You really don't want to take it all apart, then install new shocks/struts using old hardware. How would you feel if a strut mount failed a month later, and you got to do it all again? Point is, replace the small bits at the same time and make your life easy (and some of those bits DO wear out). I definitely do agree with the suggestion to buy the reinforcement plates - they're cheap, and good piece of mind.

If you want the full shebang, you can take a look at my thread below. I opted to replace all ancillary parts, but you don't necessarily have to. Strut mounts, rear shock mounts, dust boots, bump stops, spring pads, etc:

I would suggest reinforced rear shock mounts and front strut reinforcement plates at a minimum to prevent mushrooming.

BMWCurves
07-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Yeah, you're right, I should have phrased that better. In an ideal world you would replace everything while you're in there. Saves on labor, gives peace of mind. But he said he's on a budget, so you don't necessarily have to replace bump stops, dust boots, spring pads, etc. In my thread I bought parts to replace everything, but that ran about $1,000, which is above OP's budget.

Bird-Dog
07-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Much obliged.

johnrando
07-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Sent you a PM