PDA

View Full Version : Sebring International Raceway - 1 Devlin - 0

328ioc
07-20-2015, 04:47 AM
Well as some of you will already know due to my Facebook post On Saturday my Fiance and I as well as a few of our local BMW group went to Sebring for an SCCA PDX.

All was going great until the end of the second session when I pulled into the pits with a loud knocking coming from the car.

Luckily one of the cars running with us was our local Indy in his E39 540 wagon "shop truck" He took a look and a quick sound and said kill it bottom end is done.

We all became very confused as there were no warning signs, no low oil light, no cel, no loss of power, no big bang like something broke and no loss of any fluids.

Luckily one of the SCCA Instructors lives near me so he let me borrow his truck to rent a Trailer from U Haul and he kindly towed my car home.

As of this morning my Indy Pierre is digging in and starting the diagnosis. He is starting with the obvious and looking for metal in the oil and filter. If metal is found then obviously we have internal damage and a dead motor.

But he is also interested in the dual mass flywheel.

I first noticed the knocking after I had an off, and the car stalled as I tried to pull back on track, if there is no metal in the oil he thinks I may have broken the flywheel and worse case then would just be a clutch job.

I should know something today and will keep this tread updated.

theothersawyer
07-20-2015, 05:02 AM
Let's hope it is just the flywheel! Fingers crossed!

328ioc
07-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Just spoke with my Indy.

Bad news but also maybe good news.

Oil Filter is full of metal and cylinders 4&5 had low compression. Using a scope there appears to be no damage to the tops of the pistons and no damage to the cylinder wall so it looks like just a bottom end problem.

He is pulling the oil pan next, maybe today maybe tomorrow to confirm it is a failed bearing. if its just a bearing i may still be slightly lucky and just need a bottom end and not a whole new motor.

Will continue to update but probably wont have much more info for a day or two.

cakM3
07-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Hopefully it will be bearing replacement Devlin...sorry you have to go thru this...

How many miles on your motor when this happened by the way?

328ioc
07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Hopefully it will be bearing replacement Devlin...sorry you have to go thru this...

How many miles on your motor when this happened by the way?
Thanks Chuck, just over 125k miles.

Also, I spoke with my Indy again during lunch.

We decided the amount of work needed to pull the pan is not that much less than what is needed to pull the motor.

So he will pull the motor this week.

This will then allow me to do most of the disassembly and hopefully reassembly myself as well as replace the CCV and OFHG at the same time knocking these items off my to-do list as well as save on labor costs.

I can also install a set of headers I have at this point as well and inspect the clutch and other items while its all apart.

So in the end hopefully I'll just be paying for the labor of pulling the engine out and putting it back in.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

stephenkirsh
07-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Subbed

Johal E32
07-20-2015, 11:49 AM
But would a bearing explain the low compression? Perhaps the metal killed the piston rings and that would explain the loss?

At least its a good time to do some "while you're in there" items, like oil pan baffle, CCV, OFHG, oil pump nut.

Good luck

328ioc
07-20-2015, 12:00 PM
But would a bearing explain the low compression? Perhaps the metal killed the piston rings and that would explain the loss?

At least its a good time to do some "while you're in there" items, like oil pan baffle, CCV, OFHG, oil pump nut.

Good luck
That's the part we arnt sure about yet especially since the pistons and cylinders look clean with a scope send down the spark plug tube.

And yes all this items plus headers and disa kit are on the to-do list while the engine is out.

rkneeshaw
07-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Upgrade oil pump nut too

http://store.bimmerworld.com/gsr-m52m54-four-bolt-oil-pump-shaft-p2210.aspx

Especially since you see track time.

Johal E32
07-20-2015, 07:47 PM
That's the part we arnt sure about yet especially since the pistons and cylinders look clean with a scope send down the spark plug tube.

And yes all this items plus headers and disa kit are on the to-do list while the engine is out.

Hmm, before anything is done. Definitely do a LEAKDOWN! that will show ya where the issues are

Hornung418
07-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Upgrade oil pump nut too

Yes! I couldn't remember who bought the manufacturing rights for that marvel.

328ioc
07-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Upgrade oil pump nut too

Hmm, before anything is done. Definitely do a LEAKDOWN! that will show ya where the issues are
Both items are on the list thanks guys!

Oli77
07-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Good luck and patience fixing it back to shape.

328ioc
07-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Quick update/correction.

I was just talking to my Indy about doing the leak down test and it turns out I miss heard him.

Compression is fine across the board, but all the knocking sounds are coming from cylinders 4&5.

Johal E32
07-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Quick update/correction.

I was just talking to my Indy about doing the leak down test and it turns out I miss heard him.

Compression is fine across the board, but all the knocking sounds are coming from cylinders 4&5.

Well, thats most certainly a relief that compression is good. Knocking, could be a rod bearing knock?

328ioc
07-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Well, thats most certainly a relief that compression is good. Knocking, could be a rode bearing knock?
That's the hope.

Hornung418
07-21-2015, 08:57 AM
You still would have starved the crank from oil though...not sure how that would have happened if it isn't oil pump related.

328ioc
07-21-2015, 09:31 AM
You still would have starved the crank from oil though...not sure how that would have happened if it isn't oil pump related.

I agree Justin, just wont know for sure until its our of the car and torn down.

Ill be in the keys this weekend so my Indy is going to get a few other cars finished and out of his shop and pull my engine out next week that way i can go do the tear down with him.

Hornung418
07-21-2015, 09:33 AM
I agree Justin, just wont know for sure until its our of the car and torn down.

Ill be in the keys this weekend so my Indy is going to get a few other cars finished and out of his shop and pull my engine out next week that way i can go do the tear down with him.
Well free your mind and have a good vacation!

328ioc
07-21-2015, 09:34 AM
Well free your mind and have a good vacation!

yeah seriously, going to go diving for the first time in 4 years. lol

328ioc
07-28-2015, 06:17 AM
UPDATE:

Transmission is out and my clutch is shot. Which I figured its original and has 125,xxx miles on it.

Engine might come out today worst case tomorrow.

Question is now should I even consider switching to a single mass Flywheel or just replace with stock?

az3579
07-28-2015, 06:37 AM
UPDATE:

Transmission is out and my clutch is shot. Which I figured its original and has 125,xxx miles on it.

Engine might come out today worst case tomorrow.

Question is now should I even consider switching to a single mass Flywheel or just replace with stock?

Only 125k on the clutch? Mine has 228k on the original clutch and still no slipping. Odd.

You could replace with a single mass (also known as a lightweight flywheel) if you want to. The car will rev a lot easier, and will increase acceleration a little bit and make rev matching easier, but do note: you WILL get lots of flywheel chatter. The chatter drove me crazy in my E30, but boy did it rev fast...
You'll only notice the chatter when the car is stationary and the clutch pedal is out, like if the car's in neutral.

It's a big tradeoff. What's more important to you; performance or comfort?

328ioc
07-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Only 125k on the clutch? Mine has 228k on the original clutch and still no slipping. Odd.

You could replace with a single mass (also known as a lightweight flywheel) if you want to. The car will rev a lot easier, and will increase acceleration a little bit and make rev matching easier, but do note: you WILL get lots of flywheel chatter. The chatter drove me crazy in my E30, but boy did it rev fast...

It's a big tradeoff. What's more important to you; performance or comfort?
Yes 125k I have never driven the car easily. Light weight is a consideration and the chatter won't bug me.

I think it's going to come down to the cost of OEM vs light weight once I see how much damage is done to the engine.

328ioc
07-28-2015, 05:02 PM
UPDATE:

Motor was pulled today and oil pan removed. Metal everywhere.

#6 Cylinder has very bad damage. The rest of the cylinders were not inspected because the advice of my Indy is to just find another motor.

Photo of #6 attached.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/28/eb2b686cfd9b28f348dd85f6bbf9d037.jpg

Plan now is to find as low a mile M54 as I can. Then I will swap over the ZHP cams, my already rebuild VANOS and few other recently serviced parts.

I will also be replacing the clutch, doing the CCV, OFHG and a few other odds and ends such as shifter bushings and motor mounts.

Johnmadd
07-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Time for you to find a s54. :biggrin

328ioc
07-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Time for you to find a s54. :biggrin
If only time and money grew on trees.

Johnmadd
07-28-2015, 05:06 PM
If only time and money grew on trees.

I hear ya bud.

Hornung418
07-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Great plan, Dev.

328ioc
07-28-2015, 05:09 PM
If money allowed I would go farther with this build. But as a DD and auto x car its perfect.

Plus I am starting my E36 build in December or January.

wertyu78
07-28-2015, 06:02 PM
UPDATE:

Motor was pulled today and oil pan removed. Metal everywhere.

#6 Cylinder has very bad damage. The rest of the cylinders were not inspected because the advice of my Indy is to just find another motor.

Photo of #6 attached.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/28/eb2b686cfd9b28f348dd85f6bbf9d037.jpg

Plan now is to find as low a mile M54 as I can. Then I will swap over the ZHP cams, my already rebuild VANOS and few other recently serviced parts.

I will also be replacing the clutch, doing the CCV, OFHG and a few other odds and ends such as shifter bushings and motor mounts.

+ headers
+ single mas fw

There, now you're done ;)

328ioc
07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
+ headers
+ single mas fw

There, now you're done ;)
Already have headers just need to install.

As this was all unexpected a single mass is not in the budget right now. I wish it was.

328ioc
08-08-2015, 05:59 AM
UPDATE:

New engine arrived last week.

Looks clean inside and we are starting to do some work to it before it goes into the car.

Mainly replacing the valves just because its convenient as well as the CCV, OFHG and a few other small items.

Now the plan for the old engine......I was going to make a coffee table, but the block seems to be in good shape as is the head.

So I think my plan now is to just rebuild it as time and money allow and possibly go slightly performance oriented.

Will update again as more happens.

johnrando
08-14-2015, 09:59 AM
A little late to this, good stuff. Keep us posted.

cakM3
08-14-2015, 10:15 AM
Devlin, I like the idea of rebuilding your old motor as time and money permits. At least that way you can build a really good motor to swap back into your ZHP at a later date :thumbsup

328ioc
08-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Devlin, I like the idea of rebuilding your old motor as time and money permits. At least that way you can build a really good motor to swap back into your ZHP at a later date :thumbsup
Thanks Chuck....I'm also tempted to thow it in my E36 but only time will tell.

In other news........HEADERZZZZZZ
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/17/adbacfc51a93d2e2ce3320442bf9afe2.jpg

Should have a running car some time Wednesday....but I'll be out of down this weekend for my bachelor party so I will pick the car up next week.

Oli77
08-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Fast! Like that mummy look on the headers.

328ioc
08-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Fast! Like that mummy look on the headers.
Thanks! The guy I bought them from did the wrap so it was an easy install. Lol