PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

danewilson77
11-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Ran across these idea's for winter storage and thought I would share....

1. Wash it up really good.

2. Wax.

3. Drive around the block to dry brakes off.

4. Fill tank with fuel. This will help prevent condensation from forming in the tank. A fuel stabilizer will also help keep the fuel "fresh" until spring.

5. Add an extra 10-15 PSI of air to each tire to prevent tires from developing "flat spots"

6. Install a battercharger designed to maintain a full battery. A conventional "trickle charger" can overcharge a battery if left on all the time.

7. Change engine oil and filter if it has not been done from some time. Used engine oil becomes contaiminated by moisture and products of combustion, replacing the oil will prevent this from happening.

8. Sprinkle moth balls around the exterior of your vehicle if you suspect micemay be in the area. The odor can keep mice away from making a winter home in your car. A plastic bag can also be placed over your tailpipe.

9. Park in gear, or in PARK if an auto. DO NOT apply parking brake

10. Pull the plugs and fog the cylinders with WD40, re-install the plugs. WD is a water disbursement agent and will keep the bores dry and pit free. And once put away ---- don't drive it until spring.

11. Cover up if you want as well

It is also best not to start your car during storage, over 90% of all engine wear occurs during the first moments of a cold start. Idling your engine can also build up harmful moisture. If you do choose to periodically start your car, bring it up to operating temprature by driving it instead of allowing it to idle.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Other%20cars/snow5.png

gr330zhp
11-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Yes....

Laundry fabric softener sheets also work good to keep rodents away...smell good too :)

danewilson77
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Added #10 above.

jjcools
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice, will keep in mind if I ever move to a cold climate. :)

danewilson77
10-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Bump...so you guys can start planning.

sum1orotha
10-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Ran across these idea's for winter storage and thought I would share....

6. Install a battercharger designed to maintain a full battery. A conventional "trickle charger" can overcharge a battery if left on all the time.

Can anyone recommend a charger that is designed to do this?

I plan on "storing" my ZHP for this first winter, but will be probably be taking it out maybe once every two weeks on nice days to keep the fluids flowing and to prevent any moisture from building up. So it won't be completely untouched all winter, just not kept as the daily driver.

MrMaico
10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Can anyone recommend a charger that is designed to do this?

I plan on "storing" my ZHP for this first winter, but will be probably be taking it out maybe once every two weeks on nice days to keep the fluids flowing and to prevent any moisture from building up. So it won't be completely untouched all winter, just not kept as the daily driver.

This is what I use...works great............

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B000FQBWCY

mikeyb74
10-08-2011, 05:12 AM
Winter storage what is that?

kayger12
10-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Winter storage what is that?

I think that's when you keep your beer in the snow just outside the garage so it's extra cold. :innocent

mikeyb74
10-08-2011, 05:18 AM
I think that's when you keep your beer in the snow just outside the garage so it's extra cold. :innocent

LOL...I do that winter storage.

danewilson77
10-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Bump

"No flamesuit required"

Stewbie
11-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Bump

"No flamesuit required"
Thanks for the timely reminder Dane.

Whammy
11-15-2014, 11:58 AM
If one does not have a battery charger and/or access to a power souce due to parking locations, what do you do?

MrMaico
11-15-2014, 05:13 PM
If one does not have a battery charger and/or access to a power souce due to parking locations, what do you do?

Depending on how long you expect it to actually sit, if it were my car I would probably pull the battery and buy an inexpensive trickle charger and keep it at home. Another option would be to just unhook the battery and leave it in the car. No reason a good battery shouldn't go at least 3 months without a charge. Last resort would be to start it every 3 or 4 weeks and let it run for at least 1/2 hour or so or if conditions aren't too terrible take it for a drive.

Barry

ZHPRegistry.net
11-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Trickle charger for batteries is bad for long term. Use a device that is formally labeled as a battery maintainer. Be careful where you keep your battery, at the end of the day think of it as a bucket full of acid that can kill you, it can also cause a fire if the terminal get connected by a conductor, so away from kids.

#11 for storage, plug the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents from nesting in there.

#12, if a manual car, keep it in 4th gear, this way the selector rod is pushed all the way into the transmission and does not get rust deposits.

Whammy
11-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Depending on how long you expect it to actually sit, if it were my car I would probably pull the battery and buy an inexpensive trickle charger and keep it at home. Another option would be to just unhook the battery and leave it in the car. No reason a good battery shouldn't go at least 3 months without a charge. Last resort would be to start it every 3 or 4 weeks and let it run for at least 1/2 hour or so or if conditions aren't too terrible take it for a drive.

Barry

The battery charger will probably be the best option. I just took the car off of insurance though I need to get a full tank of gas and add sta-bil.

Trickle charger for batteries is bad for long term. Use a device that is formally labeled as a battery maintainer. Be careful where you keep your battery, at the end of the day think of it as a bucket full of acid that can kill you, it can also cause a fire if the terminal get connected by a conductor, so away from kids.

#11 for storage, plug the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents from nesting in there.

#12, if a manual car, keep it in 4th gear, this way the selector rod is pushed all the way into the transmission and does not get rust deposits.

What would you plug the pipes with? Moth balls?

Is 4th gear enough to not all the car to move? I will not be engaging the parking brake.

danewilson77
11-16-2014, 07:12 AM
The battery charger will probably be the best option. I just took the car off of insurance though I need to get a full tank of gas and add sta-bil.

What would you plug the pipes with? Moth balls?

Is 4th gear enough to not all the car to move? I will not be engaging the parking brake.
Could just put a small empty can (green beans, etc) over the ends. Seal tight not required. Just FME (Foreign Material Exclusion).

"No flamesuit required"

Whammy
11-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Could just put a small empty can (green beans, etc) over the ends. Seal tight not required. Just FME (Foreign Material Exclusion).

"No flamesuit required"

Good idea Dane! Thanks!!

danewilson77
12-15-2015, 05:10 AM
Bump

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk