PDA

View Full Version : Search functionality

Oli77
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
I have this problem with BF.C too and would like to see if there is a way to improve our search capabilities here in ZHPMAFIA land.

Here is the issue with the car: occasionally at startup, rmps jump to 12-1400 for 1 sec, then they drop pretty low (~500) for a very short time and then bounce back up to 650 ish and stay steady. I think I need to clean my ICV right?

Here is the issue with the search while typing the following: rmp low startup.
Search returns 5-6 threads that are not related (learned that dane's wife had lost the password to the computer though:mafia). Essentially nothing comes up that has the 3 words in a thread. I get rmp, low OR startup threads only.

Can we implement the use of quotes or AND statements in our search?

I think that as the site gets more plump with valuable info, newcomers will be searching for words that best describe the symptoms their car is experiencing and will likely need to add several words together. I can't get a good answer if I search rmp - right?

I am aware that I can also do a google search like this - site: zhpmafia.com rmp low startup and only one page comes up. If I put quotes around the 3 words, nothing pops up at all.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 02:56 PM
The problem can be boiled down to this. The site does not return any hits for three letter words or less. By default it's four letters or more.

What's nice is that the site doesn't use more memory to store a bunch of useless three letter words. The downside is that it doesn't store any really useful three letter words either.

On the whole, though, the default setting serves the site well. If I enabled every possible thing on this site, people would complain that the site is too slow.

So, it's a constant judgment call around here. For now, we can search for four letter words and more.

Sorry about that, oli.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Forgot to mention: I often use google to find three letter words from our site. Go to google. Search only our site. Search the small words. It's been helpful to me.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Forgot to mention: I often use google to find three letter words from our site. Go to google. Search only our site. Search the small words. It's been helpful to me.

Any chance we could get a google search plugin on the title bar? I've seen this on other sites - is this a possibility with vbulletin? Or not something we'd want to do?

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Might just be me being lazy. Most browsers have a search feature that can be set to google. I think there is syntax we can use to search just ZHP mafia.com in that search pane - I just don't remember what it is...

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I will look into the google search plugin.

Oli77
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I understand your argument with the 3 or greater letters in a word, but my question has nothing to do with the number of words.

I am talking about being able to search a combination of words (all greater than 3 letters). I guess the word rmp in my original post got you focusing on that issue.

I am asking about being able to implement quotation marks or AND. Example, can I search for slow AND startup AND disa ?

Will it return all treads that have those 3 words together within one post?

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I will find a primer for you, oli. I have seen one for this forum. Shows all of the tips and tricks for searching.

Oli77
03-11-2011, 05:28 PM
I don't know what a primer is but I am honored boss!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't know what a primer is but I am honored boss!

A primer is a good thing, oli. You'll enjoy. Probably not a bad thing to have on this site. We can all use a manual on this stuff.

Mtnman
03-11-2011, 05:52 PM
while we are working on enhancing search capabilities, i run in to this problem with our search. when i was looking for a specific video, i used a few search words that returned 5 threads. However, when it returned a thread like the thread "non zhp pure sex on wheels" the thread is about 20 PAGES long. it did not direct me to which line in the thread i was looking for, so i searched through all 20 pages...which took about 15 minutes (and still didnt find what i was looking for, but that is beside the point) is this normal, or can this be improved upon? Marcus, the site is damn good, just seeing if this minor issue can be resolved.

billschusteriv
03-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I will look into the google search plugin.

I just realized I sounded like a spoiled brat with my above request. It was not intended to come across that way.

Mtnman
03-11-2011, 06:18 PM
^^^^Whiner!:rofl

pyreguy
03-11-2011, 06:41 PM
:rofl

No whining in the mafia!!

It's all good bro.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 06:48 PM
while we are working on enhancing search capabilities, i run in to this problem with our search. when i was looking for a specific video, i used a few search words that returned 5 threads. However, when it returned a thread like the thread "non zhp pure sex on wheels" the thread is about 20 PAGES long. it did not direct me to which line in the thread i was looking for, so i searched through all 20 pages...which took about 15 minutes (and still didnt find what i was looking for, but that is beside the point) is this normal, or can this be improved upon? Marcus, the site is damn good, just seeing if this minor issue can be resolved.

I'm not aware of a site that takes you directly to the post that you're searching for. And if you do find one, it will likely be on a site that has older software. Our software doesn't do it. I wish it did. I'm just a regular user like you guys. I want my searches to be as easy as possible.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I just realized I sounded like a spoiled brat with my above request. It was not intended to come across that way.

I didn't infer that, bill. No worries.

Mtnman
03-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mark. This is basically the only forum im on, so I just didnt know. Still cant find that damn video. I know it is here somewhere.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 07:16 AM
This should help everyone immensely. I grabbed this from a site that grabbed it from another site:

To search for expressions which include spaces, use the hash/pound symbol (do not use quotes)
eg. le#pen will return matches for both Le Pen and LePen

Boolean operators also work. Words are AND'ed together by default.
eg. serbia croatia will return all threads which mention both countries

serbia or croatia will return threads which name either

serbia and not croatia (or serbia -croatia) will return matches which mention one but not the other

The asterisk wildcard also works
eg. com*uter will return matches to both computer and commuter

It can also be combined with the boolean operators: com*uter and not computer will have the same effect as just searching for commuter

A useful trick for searches shorter than the 4-letter limit: append an asterisk
eg. CIA* (but beware this will also return any words beginning with cia)
------

I just checked. I can find every post that has the word ZHP in it by doing this: ZHP*.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I also suggest maximizing the advanced search functionality of ZHPMafia.com. It can really help you zero in on results.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 07:57 AM
This primer on boolean searching may also be helpful for people.

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Boolean.pdf

mimalmo
03-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Yes, adding the wildcard of * to a search will help greatly when searching for short words.

David, what video were you looking for? I have a pretty good memory for stuff like that.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 08:40 AM
And if you want to use Google to search for small words at ZHPMafia.com, you can always isolate our site by putting this in the search box at Google: site:zhpmafia.com (and then your search terms).

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Yes, adding the wildcard of * to a search will help greatly when searching for short words.

David, what video were you looking for? I have a pretty good memory for stuff like that.

Is was a rally/hill climb video, shot from inside the car, from the late 70s or early 80s. of supposedly a legend in the business. It was a sweet video with people everywhere almost getting hit.

Remember it?

mimalmo
03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Do you remember what car it was?

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 04:27 PM
No. I thought it was an audi or peugot, but neither of those turned up anything. I really have searched for like an hour and a half for this. It was posted 2 months ago or so.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
I remember that video. Part of the problem with looking for videos is that most of us just post a link or embed the video -- without posting words. Didn't Guy post that video?

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Was it this one?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?339-Sweet-music.....turn-it-up!

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Nope. But that one was sweet. This one was an in car camera. You could see the guy and the road.... thanks for looking though!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I think we can narrow it down to the ZHP videos section. That's where I would be looking. You can do an advanced search of just that forum.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
David, was it the video of the rally car on the mountain dirt roads? We could see the car driving from an aerial view?

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Nope. But found that one every time. that one was sick. Thanks for the help, but either I have lost my mind or its gone. No big deal. Thanks again.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Is it possible that you saw it on another site? I do that from time to time. I could have sworn it was here but then it turns out to be somewhere else.

mimalmo
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I dug a little and couldn't find it either David.

Mtnman
03-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Like i said, (and marcus hinted at) i may be going crazy. I really dont spend time on other forums, but maybe i saw it somewhere else. Sorry to waste your time guys.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-12-2011, 07:16 PM
No big deal, David. I actually found some cool threads while looking for yours.

Oli77
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks Marcus, that primer is very helpful, specially the widlcard one to force 4 letter searches.

I'll give it a try.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Yep. I use the wildcard here. Works well. Enjoy.

danewilson77
09-10-2011, 07:37 AM
This should help everyone immensely. I grabbed this from a site that grabbed it from another site:

To search for expressions which include spaces, use the hash/pound symbol (do not use quotes)
eg. le#pen will return matches for both Le Pen and LePen

Boolean operators also work. Words are AND'ed together by default.
eg. serbia croatia will return all threads which mention both countries

serbia or croatia will return threads which name either

serbia and not croatia (or serbia -croatia) will return matches which mention one but not the other

The asterisk wildcard also works
eg. com*uter will return matches to both computer and commuter

It can also be combined with the boolean operators: com*uter and not computer will have the same effect as just searching for commuter

A useful trick for searches shorter than the 4-letter limit: append an asterisk
eg. CIA* (but beware this will also return any words beginning with cia)
------

I just checked. I can find every post that has the word ZHP in it by doing this: ZHP*.

Bump for new members.