PDA

View Full Version : Michelin or Continental

Whitexi
07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
The time has come for the 328 xdrive to have new tires. This is my wife's car so she will need an all season since these tires will see snow. So im between these two tires.

Michelin Premier A/S since they are a H rated tire and have a tread wear of 640.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245HR7PREAS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&

Or these Continental DSW 06's but they are W rated with a tread wear of 560

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?sidewall=Blackwall&tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS+06&partnum=245WR7DWS06&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2011&autoModel=335i+xDrive+Sedan&autoModClar=Sport+Package&

Johnmadd
07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
I bought my zhp with conti dws and bought another set afterwards. Just my 2 cents.

BMWCurves
07-28-2015, 06:24 PM
I bought my zhp with conti dws and bought another set afterwards. Just my 2 cents.

I've heard good things about them.

I personally plan to purchase some BMW wheels off Craigslist and have some dedicated snow tires mounted on them. Easier to deal with IMO, but that's just my preference.

JeffSaysThings
07-29-2015, 08:09 AM
People seem to like the old Continental DWS (and DW) a lot, and I think that's because they a cushy ride, they're quiet, wear long, and have a lot of grip. They glaring issue with them is that they have very soft sidewalls and it has an enormous effect on the steering and handling. Some people (like me) put a lot of emphasis on steering precision and transient handling behavior. If that's you, you'll hate the old DWS and DW.

Continental's press liturature implies that they've stiffened up the new DWS 06 a little bit, and those are what you're looking at. As such they may have found a better balance between ride and handling. I haven't driven the new ones though, and reviews are few and far between because they're so new.

All that being said, they'll probably be much better behaved and more suited to the 328i chassis than the Michelins shown above. Plus the Contis are supposed to be pretty solid in snow.

If it were my wife's car, I'd put the Contis on it... probably will in a few months.

Whitexi
07-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the response guys but I decided against the Continentals. I do not want a W speed rating. That was the deal breaker. I was more concerned with longevity, some handling feel loss is ok. She just drives and doesn't go crazy so it has no purpose of diving in turns etc.

If the Continentals were offered in a lower speed rating I would have got those. Currently the car has conti pro contacts which are a grand touring tire so I choose the primer for being a grand touring as well.

Sent from my

330i Lover
07-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Either are great tires. My ZHP had brand new cont's but if Michelin was same price I'd probably go with Michelin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-29-2015, 05:54 PM
I'd feel good about either. Though I've been leaning towards Conti lately (except for my PSSs).

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

danewilson77
07-30-2015, 05:06 PM
I'd feel good about either. Though I've been leaning towards Conti lately (except for my PSSs).

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.
I don't even...

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

BADCLOWN
07-31-2015, 05:10 AM
I just put conti dws on mine, i swear by continental rubber, great tires.

az3579
07-31-2015, 06:40 AM
I got flown to California last year to test the Premier A/S against other competitor tires. The Michelins were worn halfway down on all of the Michelin equipped test cars, while all the other competitors were tested with brand new tires. All test performed in the wet.

The Michelins performed better halfway worn in the wet versus the other competitor's new tires.

I'd buy the Michelins.

If you want to read my write up on it, it's here:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12855-The-Ultimate-All-Seasons-Michelin-Premier-A-S

330i Lover
07-31-2015, 06:48 AM
Nicely done, thanks for chiming in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
07-31-2015, 08:05 AM
I got flown to California last year to test the Premier A/S against other competitor tires. The Michelins were worn halfway down on all of the Michelin equipped test cars, while all the other competitors were tested with brand new tires. All test performed in the wet.

The Michelins performed better halfway worn in the wet versus the other competitor's new tires.

I'd buy the Michelins.

If you want to read my write up on it, it's here:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?12855-The-Ultimate-All-Seasons-Michelin-Premier-A-S

Cool! How "brand new" were the competitor tires? I don't really know much about tire technology or materials, but don't fresh tires need to be driven for a couple hundred miles to wear off the factory anti-stick compound (stuff they use to release it from the tire's mould? I have no idea.

az3579
07-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Cool! How "brand new" were the competitor tires? I don't really know much about tire technology or materials, but don't fresh tires need to be driven for a couple hundred miles to wear off the factory anti-stick compound (stuff they use to release it from the tire's mould? I have no idea.

This was brought up at the event. Michelin states that it is false that the tires need to be broken in, and that a tire's best performance is right out of the figurative box. This information came from one of their folks who actually tests tires. As a result, they ran them brandy new. I honestly don't know if this is some kind of secret or something, but even Tire Rack's website claims that tires need a 500 mile break in, so I don't know what to believe anymore.

What I can tell you is that in some cases, the worn Michelins outperformed certain brand new makes by a significant margin. You can break in a tire, but you're not going to get significantly more performance after break-in, and performance would be marginally better at best. So, there is some truth to Michelin's claims to how their worn tires perform better. In other instances, the performance difference was marginal between Michelin and the competitors.

Honestly, to me, any worn tire that can remotely come close to a brand new non-broken in tire is definitely worth a look.

The cars the tires were installed on ranged in mileage, but they were pretty much brand new cars. Some of them had 9 miles, others had maybe 200, but none of them exceeded 200 or so that I know of.

yura
07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
OP, if the car will see snow, you'll need a set of proper winter tires. All seasons are NOT meant for winter/snow driving, despite their name (marketing). There will be a huge difference in grip on snow between proper winter tires and any all season set.

Grab a cheap set of wheels on CL and get summer + winter tires. You'll get the best traction possible in all seasons, and each set of tires will see a half-year's use per year, so they'll last ages, too.

Whitexi
08-01-2015, 12:27 PM
So first impression is they ride great, are quiet and feel good. Steering is definitely lighter as suspected but the car had run flats before.

Overall the ride is so nice now and we love them.

Sent from my

ELCID86
08-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Glad you do. I'm sure it's a big upgrade from the R/Fs.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.