PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam

Alphatek45
11-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I already know when, why and how. I'm looking for specifics on results ( pretty sure Dane has done it) anyone else?

danewilson77
11-08-2010, 06:45 AM
I have done it on 1989 325iX, 2001 325i, 2004 325Ci SMG, 2004 330Ci, and 2004 ZHP....all with excellant results.

Car, in all cases seemed to idle more smoothly, and gained some of it's pep back.

Alphatek45
11-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Just what I needed. Thanks, Dane.
Think I should do it with the current fuel filter in or wait till I pop in the new one?
I think with the new one in, I may contaminate it with all the crap that's before it.

danewilson77
11-08-2010, 07:02 AM
How are you going to use the seafoam?

Alphatek45
11-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Been a while since I've looked into it. Doesn't it get equally distributed between the gas tank and a few other places?

danewilson77
11-08-2010, 07:14 AM
1/3 can in Gas tank, crankcase, and intake....through the brake booster line.

I have never added it to a crankcase, and usually do 1/2 can in each of intake and gas tank.

If you do add to crankcase, maybe drive 5 miles or so....and drain and refill. Never really researched the crankcase aspect...but I assume you're not going to drive 7500 miles with that in there...idk.

Kudos
12-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Not a big maintenence guy, someone please tell me where the brake booster line is?? And would you recommend doing this in the winter or spring??

danewilson77
12-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Open the hood. You will see a round black thing by the dme (black box) drivers side...next to fire wall. You will see a hose coming from black round thingy...that would be the brake booster line.

Alphatek45
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Open the hood. You will see a round black thing by the dme (black box) drivers side...next to fire wall. You will see a hose coming from black round thingy...that would be the brake booster line.

Best description ever. True story.

danewilson77
12-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Lol....I coulda just showed him a pic.....hehe

danewilson77
12-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Piece 7

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/126.png

quikryptonite
04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Would it be beneficial at all to just put 1/2 of the bottle in your gas tank? I don't know if I want to dump some stuff in the crankcase. Why does it go in the brake booster line?

I saw an ad for this stuff a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea, but I've heard both good and bad about these types of "cleaners."

ryankokesh
04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Does it matter how much gas is in your tank when you do it?

danewilson77
04-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Naaaa....not really. I usually put 1/3 can in a full tank.

ZSP-Mafia
04-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Seafoam'd my car for the first time, last oil change, with the same results as Dane. I did some in the booster line, some in the crank case and some in the fuel. Car smoked and sputtered a bit but ran excellent afterwards.

Johnmadd
04-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Its safe to use a full can in the tank. In the crankcase is similar to a motor flush but has risk of creating leaks in old seals. The intake way cleans carbon deposits from the intake and valves and such in the top end. This way is also may weaken some seals but not likely. I also use the intake way for my lawn mower. Best way to do it is to suck the seafoam in until the engine dies out and comes back a couple times and then do it untilit does die out, let it sit 5 to 10 minutes and then start the car up and let it run or go drive it. The more smoke you get the more build up you had in there and probably more of a difference in your cars performance. I did this to several cars and have gotten no smoke from a couple but smoked out my whole street on a 87 jaguar xj6 with great results.

danewilson77
04-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Seafoam'd my car for the first time, last oil change, with the same results as Dane. I did some in the booster line, some in the crank case and some in the fuel. Car smoked and sputtered a bit but ran excellent afterwards.

How long did you drive with the seafoam in the crankcase?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

ZSP-Mafia
04-03-2011, 06:43 PM
How long did you drive with the seafoam in the crankcase?

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Less than 50 miles.

danewilson77
04-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Less than 50 miles.

Ok.....

Droid! Srs Legitness!

bullfrogs_M3
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
What exactly is seafoam and what is it supposed to do? Clean out carbon buildup?

danewilson77
04-04-2011, 04:35 AM
What exactly is seafoam and what is it supposed to do? Clean out carbon buildup?

Yup....that. It may help to clean out injectors, intake, etc...

Bert336
07-28-2011, 12:10 PM
i want to do this to my car and my wifes civic, but im a bit afraid of something going wrong! my car has 190k already...any risks on doing this?

danewilson77
07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Yes there is slight risk.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

iZHP
07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I have used this stuff in my Jeep, and didn't know whether or not to sea foam the ZHP...thanks for the confirmation.
On the quality of this stuff; it does wonders, and it's better than those other fuel injector products.

telijah
07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I think the largest risk was a chance of hydro lock if too much was put into the crankcase or intake at one time... cant remember. Or is that a myth? Haven't done the process myself yet. I like to think I drive my car hard regularly enough to keep itself clean :smug: :)

MrMaico
08-07-2011, 08:38 AM
On my old 85 S10 Blazer I had a ticking lifter and a mechanic suggested Seafoam in the crankcase. We used a whole can for a full oil change interval, 2500 miles or so. Didn't cure the tick but didn't seem to hurt anything either so I wouldn't worry about any adverse effects from using it in the crankcase. I use it now and then in the fuel tank and also use it as a gas stabilizer in the winter. Haven't gotten the courage to try it in my intake yet though....especially on the ZHP. Might try it in my (different, newer) Blazer first. It has 102,000 miles on it.

bcleaver
08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm getting a bit of a lifter 'tick' when driving the car very hard. Anyone know if a seafoam treatment will help with that? Their website indicates it will, but curious if there is any real-world proof.

danewilson77
08-09-2011, 12:46 PM
It may. You gonna add to crankcase? What's the plan?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

telijah
08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Thought I've read either here or somewhere else that, if running normal weight oil, this will happen when running the car hard.

bcleaver
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
It may. You gonna add to crankcase? What's the plan?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Was going to do the old 1/3 gas, 1/3 intake, 1/3 crankcase (right before next oil change, drive for a handful of miles and then change)

bcleaver
08-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Thought I've read either here or somewhere else that, if running normal weight oil, this will happen when running the car hard.

Everyone that drives a BMW that I race with has the same problem, but often to different extents. Seems like something I'd like to minimze though as it's not very confidence inspiring to have the thing sound like there's a playing card in the spokes.

danewilson77
08-09-2011, 02:33 PM
^Perfect.

My sig avatar is gone. What did I do Boss?

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I see your signature and I see your avatar, DW.

danewilson77
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
I see your signature and I see your avatar, DW.

No Boss. My lil Special Interest Group thingy that's been up there all day?

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 02:43 PM
It's still there, too.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
This is what I see:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/danesig.png

danewilson77
08-09-2011, 03:10 PM
That is just weird. This is what I see. Must be something with this computer.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Screener.jpg

Marcus-SanDiego
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Oh, it's something to do with IE. I see the problem as well.

GSEN820
08-10-2011, 01:05 PM

James i want to get together sometime to do this. Just want to make sure I do it right.

Marcus-SanDiego
08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
That is just weird. This is what I see. Must be something with this computer.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Screener.jpg

It's been fixed, dw. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
08-10-2011, 01:27 PM
So it wasn't me?

MrMaico
10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I noticed Seafoam makes a spray now for using in the intake. Not sure how well it would work though with our long intake tubes.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html

echo46
10-26-2011, 03:09 AM
I was always a bit wary of this treatment, but I may give this a try this weekend. I think I am going to do the brake booster line and gas tank procedure. Maybe this will help with my warm startup issue.

Muggzie
11-06-2011, 11:35 AM
SO probably a dumb question an i know asking isnt dumb but for the crank case how does one do that for those that wouldnt know?

danewilson77
11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
SO probably a dumb question an i know asking isnt dumb but for the crank case how does one do that for those that wouldnt know?

1/3 qt in crankcase.....run the car for <10 miles, the change oil.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Muggzie
11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
i love your new signature dane

danewilson77
11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
i love your new signature dane

Thanks!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

MafiaAmor
11-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I haven't used mine yet....I bought all new oil and an oil filter....I've just heard this seafoam can possibly ruin sensors...

MafiaAmor
11-08-2011, 08:08 AM
And I think I'm only going to do 1/2 1/2 rather tahn 1/3 1/3 1/3

webster
11-08-2011, 04:44 PM
i dumped a can of seafoam into my gas tank before my last fill-up. we'll see if there's any noticeable difference.

llll1l1ll
11-09-2011, 04:43 AM
I am now looking for Webster's response.

I'm always kinda wary of Seafoam; however, one time it helped me spot an exhaust leak in my E30.

MafiaAmor
11-09-2011, 06:13 AM
It's a solvent base so you better change your oil.

LivesNearCostco
01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Last night Seafoamed the car and got both more and less smoke than expected.

First, filled SAP tube (from SAP to valve) halfway with Seafoam and reconnected it. Theory is it cleans up the air injection ports and possibly also exhaust valves. Car had sat 13 hours and wasn't sure if it was cold enough to trigger the SAP. In fact wasn't sure what temp determines if SAP runs. But yes it ran, and woweee smoked up the street! Unfortunately 1/3rd of the smoke immediately drifted into my garage and I had to wait several minutes for it to clear out. Refilled SAP tube and drove to Walmart, smoking up the street whenever I revved the engine.

Second: Heard engine should be hot to clean intake, hence drive to Walmart. Plus nobody looks askance as you doing minor work on your car in the parking lot of Walmart at night. Poured Seafoam into empty salsa jar. Disconnected brake booster hose--with new screw clamp at the ready. Car ran like crap unless I covered open hose with my thumb. Very SLOWLY (too slowly?) sucked Seafoam, possibly with a minuscule bit of salsa, into the intake and stopped engine. Funny, no white smoke. Waited 10 minutes and drove home--still no white smoke. Car did not smell of salsa at all. Why not? Some theories...

Most deposits are in the exhaust manifold/pipes/cat and got cleaned when I did the SAP
SAP blew Seafoam into the cylinders through exhaust valves, before I got to Walmart.
Once the cats are hot, they greatly reduce the smoke

Results: Can't tell. Car was running pretty smoothly before and after. Revs faster than 3 weeks ago but am still getting used to Shark Injector so can't tell if Seafoaming made any additional difference. I photographed the spark plugs a month ago and put them back; they were pretty dirty. Will photograph again when I put in the new plugs to see if Seafoam cleaned them off. 1/3rd can of Seafoam waiting to go into oil before next oil change.

llll1l1ll
01-17-2012, 05:10 AM
You should have used hot salsa instead of medium when doing the intake.

midlandtech
01-17-2012, 06:05 AM
You should have used hot salsa instead of medium when doing the intake.

+1

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LivesNearCostco
01-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Ah ha! That should be added to the DIY.

webster
01-18-2012, 08:55 AM
I am now looking for Webster's response.

I'm always kinda wary of Seafoam; however, one time it helped me spot an exhaust leak in my E30.

ah, sorry i never got back to this thread. TBH i didn't notice much difference after the seafoam ran its course. then again, i dumped the whole can in the gas tank and didn't do the 1/3 method, so that might be why. i figured the stuff was cleaning some engine deposits regardless of whether my butt dyno noticed anything...

bullfrogs_M3
01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Last night Seafoamed the car and got both more and less smoke than expected.

First, filled SAP tube (from SAP to valve) halfway with Seafoam and reconnected it. Theory is it cleans up the air injection ports and possibly also exhaust valves. Car had sat 13 hours and wasn't sure if it was cold enough to trigger the SAP. In fact wasn't sure what temp determines if SAP runs. But yes it ran, and woweee smoked up the street! Unfortunately 1/3rd of the smoke immediately drifted into my garage and I had to wait several minutes for it to clear out. Refilled SAP tube and drove to Walmart, smoking up the street whenever I revved the engine.

Second: Heard engine should be hot to clean intake, hence drive to Walmart. Plus nobody looks askance as you doing minor work on your car in the parking lot of Walmart at night. Poured Seafoam into empty salsa jar. Disconnected brake booster hose--with new screw clamp at the ready. Car ran like crap unless I covered open hose with my thumb. Very SLOWLY (too slowly?) sucked Seafoam, possibly with a minuscule bit of salsa, into the intake and stopped engine. Funny, no white smoke. Waited 10 minutes and drove home--still no white smoke. Car did not smell of salsa at all. Why not? Some theories...

Most deposits are in the exhaust manifold/pipes/cat and got cleaned when I did the SAP
SAP blew Seafoam into the cylinders through exhaust valves, before I got to Walmart.
Once the cats are hot, they greatly reduce the smoke

Results: Can't tell. Car was running pretty smoothly before and after. Revs faster than 3 weeks ago but am still getting used to Shark Injector so can't tell if Seafoaming made any additional difference. I photographed the spark plugs a month ago and put them back; they were pretty dirty. Will photograph again when I put in the new plugs to see if Seafoam cleaned them off. 1/3rd can of Seafoam waiting to go into oil before next oil change.

Will be doing the seafoam treatment this weekend in an empty church lot on saturday morning. What is the SAP tube? I know about the brake booster line but not the SAP one. Will dump the rest in the gas tank.

danewilson77
01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
SAP = Secondary Air Pump

I just sucked mine in through the brake booster line....which I have seen most do....