PDA

View Full Version : suspension experts...need some ideas.

Washburn
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM
So, i've been noticing a slight "drone" noise from the driver's side wheel area lately...i can hear it as a low, woo woo woo noise when driving very slow in a parking lot, and i think it increases in frequency when driving at ~ 65 mph or so...It might be something simple as tire pressure or CABs...

About CABs, I think I have either tramlining or something up with CABs...when I brake lightly, i feel that the wheels turn to the right a bit sometimes...not all the time though.

Also, most importantly, I noticed that when I am driving dead straight, the steering wheel is NOT really centered, it's VERY slightly turned to the right. So that means, if I turn the wheel so that IT is dead straight/centered, the CAR goes slightly to the left...hope that's clear...

So what should I check? Does any of this need immediate attention? Should I have alignment checked?
If I do that I have another "?": are the alignment specs different in the ZHP? How can i convince the shop about that/inform them?

I do drive on some rough roads on my way to work.

Thanks IA.

danewilson77
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
How old are front tires? When was last alignment done?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Washburn
03-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Tires are OEM Michelin Pilot sport - car and tires have 20k on them.
Alignment - never.

danewilson77
03-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I bet if you got both...the issue would be gone. 20k for a set of tires is good.

Bro....do me a favor and pull one tire off the front and inspect it.

Snap some pics while your in there. I tell you what. I would be grateful if you took off the passenger wheel/front....and snapped a picked of your auto hid level sensor. I am missing parts. I have drawings...just wanna see it in person.

Washburn
03-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Man I'd gladly do all that if i could - i have no place, know how or the tools for that sort of stuff, However, if I take the car somewhere, I'd gladly take pics when they work on it.

I was hoping to get through this summer before replacing the tires with Conti DWS...i might have to do that sooner, I guess...
Do you think i should get the alignment now or just wait till I replace tires?

and any feedback on differences on alignment specs for the ZHP being different?

kayger12
03-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Turn your steering wheel all the way to one side and look at the tread near the inner 1/4 of the tire.

Every time that my CABs have been shot, I have gotten premature tire wear on the inner edge and the droning you describe.

How many miles do you have on her? The droning can also be wheel bearings.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Washburn
03-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Will do that today and post a pic Kayger.
EDIT: 20k miles on the car

mimalmo
03-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Wheel bearing failures are not very common on an E46 but FCAB's are very common. I'd replace the FCAB's, rotate tires (or swap if your tires are directional) and get an alignment

Washburn
03-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Yeah and to add: I noticed the wheels jerking to one side or other (but mostly right) way before i noticed the droning noise and that the st. wheel was not centered. i am leaning towards badly worn tires and/or CABs, albeit with my very limited knowledge.

Can any one confirm the difference/non-difference between sports pkg alignment and ZHP alignment specs? Thanks.

danewilson77
03-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Alignment specs for ZHP are the same as 330i/CI w/ sport package...

Red = Where

Green = Specs

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101201_204625-2-1-1-1-1.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMG_20101201_204635-3-1-1.jpg

Washburn
03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks so much, Dane.

Johnmadd
03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Easy way to tell if its a wheel bearing is to turn one direction all the way and drive in a circle and then turn the other way and notice if it makes a difference in sound, if so it is a bearing more than likely. Cabs make more of a clunk type sound. I also think an alignment would be a good thing to save money on tires.

ZSP-Mafia
03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I was having the same noise until I adjusted my toe last night. Then again... My entire front end is a disaster right now so that could be irrelevant.

Johnmadd
03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
You can't do your own alignment, waste of time and tires.

ZSP-Mafia
03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I agree, alignment is definitely not DIY. I just brought the toe in a couple degrees with my mechanics help. It took care of the noise but that's about it.

Johnmadd
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok, didn't know you had professional help. That is how I have my lowered e30 setup, it does help save on tires that way in my experience.

Mike V
03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I have the same woo woo on my left front at low speeds. I noticed it after putting the winter wheels/tires on in December. It'll be interesting to see if it goes away when I swap back to the summers next weekend.

Please let us know if you get it figured out.

danewilson77
03-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Easy way to tell if its a wheel bearing is to turn one direction all the way and drive in a circle and then turn the other way and notice if it makes a difference in sound, if so it is a bearing more than likely. Cabs make more of a clunk type sound. I also think an alignment would be a good thing to save money on tires.

Another way is to lift tire off ground and grab it at 6 and 12 o clock position. If it has play...it may indicate bearing is bad. 3 and 9 will tell you cabs are bad.

Johnmadd
03-12-2011, 10:13 PM
It is more force when turning in a small tight circle than you pulling and makes the noise if it actually is coming from there more audible.

MrMaico
03-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Yeah and to add: I noticed the wheels jerking to one side or other (but mostly right) way before i noticed the droning noise and that the st. wheel was not centered. i am leaning towards badly worn tires and/or CABs, albeit with my very limited knowledge.

Can any one confirm the difference/non-difference between sports pkg alignment and ZHP alignment specs? Thanks.

When I replaced the noisy Bridgestones, that still had a good bit of thread left on them, with Hankooks the tramlining (jerking to one side or the other) was reduced dramatically not to mention being soooo much quieter. 6 years is a long time on a set of tires, regardless of miles on them.

prowlerflyer
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
To do E46 CAB do you need to do the whole CA, or can the bushes be done independently? Also are the front wheel bearings sealed or can they be cleaned/repacked?

Crickett
03-17-2011, 01:47 PM
The LCABs can be done separately, IIRC. I'm also fairly certain that the front bearings are sealed units. (My left front is on its way out . . . )

danewilson77
03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Inner and outer ball joints on the control arm....can only be replced with a new control arm. They do make control arms, however, that do have replaceable inner and outer ball joints.

The control arm bushing can be done by itself. I have never seen one re-used.