PDA

View Full Version : When braking hearing the pads...I think?

330i Lover
08-26-2015, 06:01 PM
I've noticed ever since I got my car a few months ago when the windows are down and the music is off I can audibly hear what sounds like the pads stopping the car when I brake. Is this normal? It's not a squeeling or squeeching sound, more like a rubbing of what common sense is telling me is probably the brake pad being applied to the rotor to slow the car down.
During the PPI(pre-purchase inspection) the dealership specified the front pads had 11mm and the rear has 6mm. Would those numbers suggest they need to be replaced? I have no idea what brand/material the pads are or if they're responsible for this faint sound when I'm stopping. Suggestions welcome.

BMWCurves
08-26-2015, 09:04 PM
I know next to nothing about brakes so feel free to ignore what I say, but when I got my PPI at the end of March, the mechanic told me my rear brakes had 6mm left and would be due for new pads in the next couple of thousand miles depending on my driving style.

yura
08-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Sometimes the pads can be worn while still having a lot of thickness left. Fine metal can build up between the pad and the rotor and cause noise - just went through this with my mom's Mazda 3, which was making a horrendous metal-on-metal grinding noise despite having 5-6mm left on the pads.

I'm not sure what noise you're referring to, though.

3ZHPGUY
08-27-2015, 01:20 AM
There are a lot of variables in brake pad compounds, some of which may cause different sounds under different situations. The noise could also be related to a foreign object being stuck in the pad. These could be small stones or metal chips. Take a look at all of the brake rotors. If you se an unusual groove or shiny spot, inspect the brake on that wheel. You can also jack up each corner and spin the tire and listen for something rubbing. On the rears, you'll need to have the car in neutral and the parking brake off, to be able to rotate the tire.

If you find all to be quiet when free spinning, you may want to try to re-bed the pads. This is done with several consecutive hard stops from 50-60ish.

As for the pad thickness; I believe the brake wear sensor will trip at about 2-3 mm, so your getting close at 6mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryankokesh
09-02-2015, 04:21 AM
Yeah, what Guy said.

Also, different pad material will offer differing levels of noise. As will rotor design. So for example a drilled/slotted rotor will be louder than a plain one. (that's been my experience, at least)

Smilez
09-02-2015, 04:39 AM
As have been said above. Take a quick look at the brakes and try determine when or where the sound is coming from. Once you figured it all out and you end up needing some brake components (rotors, pads, sensors) come to me and ill offer you a great deal :D

NoVAphotog
09-02-2015, 05:42 AM
I've noticed ever since I got my car a few months ago when the windows are down and the music is off I can audibly hear what sounds like the pads stopping the car when I brake. Is this normal? It's not a squeeling or squeeching sound, more like a rubbing of what common sense is telling me is probably the brake pad being applied to the rotor to slow the car down.
During the PPI(pre-purchase inspection) the dealership specified the front pads had 11mm and the rear has 6mm. Would those numbers suggest they need to be replaced? I have no idea what brand/material the pads are or if they're responsible for this faint sound when I'm stopping. Suggestions welcome.

I think I have this same thing happening on the right front side of my car. I only really hear it at lower speeds...it's like a faint rubbing sound. I've been trying to figure it out for a long time and have inspected the car myself, shops and with others. Everything looks fine. Some of the other comments could be culprits though. Can re-bedding really help even after driving for so long or is it more to "clear" what could be debris or metal build up rubbing?

ryankokesh
09-02-2015, 11:30 AM
As have been said above. Take a quick look at the brakes and try determine when or where the sound is coming from. Once you figured it all out and you end up needing some brake components (rotors, pads, sensors) come to me and ill offer you a great deal :D

Yup, always a great deal

ELCID86
09-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Where you been?!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

330i Lover
09-03-2015, 03:42 AM
Will do, I'm thinking pad replacement. I probably won't get to that project in a few months unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Smilez
09-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Where you been?!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Crazy past couple months. Lost phone, Moved Cities, Different Job position, Went out of Town. List goes on. :shifty

ELCID86
09-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Glad you're back. Where'd you move to?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Smilez
09-03-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm still in Socal, just more Inland. And if i get this job opportunity i'm seeking i may move to TX :D/:(

ELCID86
09-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Good luck.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.