PDA

View Full Version : Massive Trouble After CCV Replacement - Need Serious Help

Blurr
03-13-2011, 01:05 AM
I just finished going through the process of replacing the CCV and the related hoses (needed) and now the car is misbehaving massively. I followed this write up thoroughly and carefully.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=643639

When I start the car up, the rpms go up and down rapidly between 800 and 1100. If I do anything to the gas peddle, the rpms still fluctuate but wont go any higher than 1500. The "Break" light is yellow even if the ebrake is not on. The EML light, traction control indicator, and the Service Engine Soon light are all lit.

I don't even know where to start doing a search for this issue. I have 24 hours to get this fixed.

I haven't gone through to tear anything thing back down but I'm 99% certain that all of the electrical clips are properly connected and connected to the right places.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I don't generally post for help on forums but this is dire.

3ZHPGUY
03-13-2011, 03:59 AM
From what your describing, check for vacuum leaks. With a large vacuum leak the car runs very lean and the computer senses that and keeps the rpms high. The changing revs definitely are related to a vacuum leak, and the lights may be related. Old trick, spray some Gumout over the manifold when the cars running. It will be sucked into the open vacuum and smooth out the idle. The hard part is finding the leek.

Hope this helps, good luck.

kayger12
03-13-2011, 04:12 AM
If you could get your hands on a code reader and post up the error codes she's throwing, that would go a long way to narrowing down your problem.

Absent that, I would start by double checking all of your electrical connections.

A large vacuum leak would explain your idle issue, but I think you might have something else going on as well.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Mtnman
03-13-2011, 06:20 AM
I would think that you should at least start by taking of the filter, filter housing so you can visually inspect the upper and lower boots and the connection of the lower boot to the throttle body. Is anything leaking? that would be my next question.

danewilson77
03-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Have codes will travel. You're prolly throwing a bunch of misfire codes and a P0171 and P0174....

Let us know the codes as Keith stated. I assume you have one if you don't come to forums looking for help...but if you don't...hit up autozone or advance auto parts, and they will most likely read the code for free...assuming the car is at all driveable.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Blurr
03-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the responses, very much appreciated.

And update:

I tore most of it down again and only found one thing wrong but I don't know if its a big enough deal to cause all of the havoc. I should point out that I have all new pipes/hoses including the lower intake, I didn't skimp on parts so in this case, it can't be an old reused hose that broke.

The tube that goes from the bottom of the CCV to the oil dipstick tube wasn't fully clipped onto the CCV. It wasn't hanging loose but I didn't have to work very hard to disconnect it. I've fully secured it to the CCV, it make the click sound and I can't simply pull and have it come off.

After checking everything else, the only thing I can think of is that the DISA might need some sensor safe gasket sealant around it's outer circular edge. The gasket that goes around the fin looks really good but I suppose the ring gasket could be touched up.

Do either of those things, or both of those things combined, sound like the cause of my problem or am I missing something?

All electrical clips appear to be secure, I'm at the point of triple checking them.

danewilson77
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe. Hard to tell. Were you able to get the codes? I would attempt to drive to have codes read.

Blurr
03-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I just got back from the parts store. I rented a scanner. I hope it'll work with the car, it's just a standard OBDII scanner.

kayger12
03-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I just got back from the parts store. I rented a scanner. I hope it'll work with the car, it's just a standard OBDII scanner.

Good enough for government work. Should get us in the ballpark.

Blurr
03-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm letting the RTV around the CCV lip cure for a bit. With the RTV it was a lot more solid when sliding it back into the plenum.

Speaking of vacuum leaks, when doing this job, what are some of the vacuum lines that might leak besides the hoses to and from the CCV that I've replaced and have tripled checked? Also, is there anything that I could have inadvertantly disconnected or broken that might commonly happen with this job. I'm just trying to cover my bases. I've gone though absolutely everything that I can touch and see and I'm fairly certain that EVERYTHING is tightened down.

kayger12
03-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I've seen enough vacuum leak threads where the disa gasket was to blame to think you've got the prime suspect.

Any luck with the codes?

Blurr
03-13-2011, 02:11 PM
After putting the car back together to the point of being able to start it, it now idles fine but I'm getting two error codes from the scanner.

P0123: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit High Input
P0222: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor B Circuit Low Input

Someone on another forum had the exact same issue after doing his CCV but it was just the throttle body clip that was loose. I'm going to go back over it again but having had problems with that clip before, I was certain to make sure that it was pressed in all the way but maybe it was pulled out by accident. Could it be anything else?

Also, if it was the throttle body sensor clip that was removed (or not entirely clipped in), would the throttle appear to work correctly? I haven't attempted to drive the car yet but it doesn't seem to be acting up at all (yet).

kayger12
03-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Did you do anything with that connection when you went back over everything?

Maybe it's just a stored code from your first start up attempt.

I'd clear them and see if they come back.

Blurr
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Good news, it cleared itself. I imagine that it was just a code that hung around. I tried clearing it with the reader but at the time it didn't seem to work. Oh well, it's good now. No codes, no lights, everything looks great!

Thanks guys I really really really appreciate it. You've all been extremely helpful and I've learned a lot too :)

Marcus-SanDiego
03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
We've got a great squad here.

kayger12
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Glad to hear. Good work.

Mtnman
03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Awesome. I love to see the family work together and help a comrade. Glad everything is good!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
03-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Glad to hear everything work out, I do hate when those kinda thing happen. You met the challenge and made it right. Good Job.