PDA

View Full Version : Help! My effin' wheels will not come off.

static667
03-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Like the title says, I can't get my wheels to come off. I've taken out all of the lugs and tried everything I can come up with. I think the problem is that the aluminum wheel and the steel rotor have had some electrolysis issues and almost fused themselves together. I've sprayed penetrating lube in between them, in the lug holes where they meet, hit the tire with a hammer from all directions, used a piece of wood as a buffer and beat on the wheel all over. I have played with a pry bar but that would really mess up the wheel. What else can I try?

Thanks,
Kyle

Marcus-SanDiego
03-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Damn, Kyle. You've thought of everything I would have suggested. I can see how you're progressing to new levels. I'm guessing that shotgun is next? :biggrin

OK, Mafia, let's help Kyle get these wheels off.

static667
03-13-2011, 08:36 AM
What do you think? 12 gauge Benelli with double ought or 20 gauge Winchester with #2 steel?

Marcus-SanDiego
03-13-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm kind of partial to that Italian shotgun.

Mtnman
03-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Can you get behind the wheel and strike towards the outside of the car? (safety first here of course) And if you have a 3lb sledge it would give more strike force than just a hammer. but definitly use a block of wood to protect your wheels. I would not recommend a pry bar at all.

never had this problem before. Is it all the wheels, or just one so far?

mimalmo
03-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Can you get behind the wheel and strike towards the outside of the car? (safety first here of course) And if you have a 3lb sledge it would give more strike force than just a hammer. but definitly use a block of wood to protect your wheels. I would not recommend a pry bar at all.

never had this problem before. Is it all the wheels, or just one so far?

This.

I've had to do it before and it works well. Go buy some anti-sieze before you put it back together.

kayger12
03-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel and rock back and forth (pushing at 3 while pulling at 9, then pulling at 3 while pushing at 9). Just keep working it until she comes free.

Mine were on there really good the first time I had to get them off. Giant pita-- took me about 10 minutes to get each tire off.

danewilson77
03-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I like lowering the car slightly and putting some pressure on the wheels. With the lug nuts off....this many times will allow them to pop off. I have also used a small piece of 2x4 from the inside as stated.

As a preventative measure...I will apply a micro thin layer of white lithium grease to the hub prior to install.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

static667
03-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I've had minor issue with this before on my E36s but usually a simple 'whack' would fix it. Both fronts are solid and I have yet to try the rears. When it goes back together, I'm putting a good coat of axle grease on the surfaces that will be touching.

static667
03-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Got it. I used a piece of 2x6 set so that the edge was about 1.5 inches under the inside of the tire and lowered the car onto it quickly, with the lugs still in but loose. Popped off after the second drop. Thanks for all of the help, guys.

danewilson77
03-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Good news my friend.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

static667
03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Apparently this isn't the first time that has happened to this car. Before me, this car has been "professionally" maintained. A lot of it dealership maintenance.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/static_667/2011-03-13182939.jpg

That is a really professional hammer ding, isn't it? There were similar ones on all of the wheels.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Sure looks like something a hammer would leave.

static667
03-13-2011, 07:34 PM
And that wasn't the worst one. You can actually see where the tire is out of shape because of it. No wonder I had some wheel vibration.

MrMaico
03-14-2011, 02:36 AM
And that wasn't the worst one. You can actually see where the tire is out of shape because of it. No wonder I had some wheel vibration.

Idiots! At first I was thinking maybe road debris until you said they all looked like that. Plz use anti-seize when installing them though. It's called anti-seize for a reason.

Barry

knevor
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I have had this happen when I swap over to or from my winter set. I give everything a good clean with a wire brush now. I just took one of my other wheels and
hit the stuck wheel with it and it popped rite off. Super ghetto but worked fine with no damage.

billschusteriv
06-27-2011, 02:23 PM
All good suggestions. Glad you got the wheel off Kyle.

I would have suggested Dane's method as a backup. I primarily (and often) use a large rubber mallet and strike the back of the wheel/tire HARD, rotating 90 degrees every strike.

Grease and anti seize are good ideas; I've also been meaning to try those wheel kleen discs that go in between your rotors and wheels.

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

static667
06-27-2011, 05:11 PM
I used some synthetic bearing grease on the area that would have contact with the wheel. This should prevent future sticking. I'll find out pretty soon when I go to rotate my tires and bleed the brakes.

HokieZHP
06-28-2011, 05:42 AM
Glad you got the wheel off. I had trouble getting my front wheels off yesterday. Ended up going with a good ole rubber mallet and going at it. It broke loose after a few good hits. I also put some grease on the area to help prevent it from happening again.

Kudos
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
What i've done in the past that worked on my e36 is get out of the car and roll it forward and back a bit with the lugs out. you don't want a full rotation, but maybe 1-3 inches forward or back. anyone think this is a terrible idea?

danewilson77
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
What i've done in the past that worked on my e36 is get out of the car and roll it forward and back a bit with the lugs out. you don't want a full rotation, but maybe 1-3 inches forward or back. anyone think this is a terrible idea?

Mmmm...me no likey....

Kudos
06-29-2011, 07:10 PM
i'm not saying you should roll it so that you bend the hubs on the wheels
just full weight of the wheel rock back and forth. it's worked for me in the past, but these wheels were not in the best shape so i didn't mind.

C Withers Media
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Mule kick at the bottom of the tire. Works like a charm, everytime.

danewilson77
06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Mule kick at the bottom of the tire. Works like a charm, everytime.

This is an excellent piece of advice.