PDA

View Full Version : Mityvac to change oil?

JHiggy
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I used a Mityvac to change my oil. Not sure if it's worthwhile to post a DIY on this so throwing it out if anyone is interested. It's a silly question (here come the comments) given the ease of use of this thing but if there's anyone else out there who actually searched youtube, et al for anything related to how to do this before purchasing this silly pump, a quick DIY might make sense. I used someone else's DIY and can repost here.

Point being, I'll post it or one of my own if anyone currently on this group is interested.

danewilson77
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Dude...throw up a nice lil video...I think it would be worth while. I have the motive power extractor (haven't had to use yet)....but I can also throw up a product review.....after I complete my next oil change.

Alphatek45
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
So, is the sole point of the vac to avoid lifting the car?
I know some of the newer vehicles don't have a drain plug but we don't have that issue.
Not knocking it, genuinely curious.

JHiggy
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
So, is the sole point of the vac to avoid lifting the car?
I know some of the newer vehicles don't have a drain plug but we don't have that issue.
Not knocking it, genuinely curious.

Ha! Good question. Yep, I have a fear of dropping the car on myself no matter how careful I would be. Not sure why but it is what it is. All I can say is that I researched it to death before purchasing one and happy that I went this route. Researched the potential for remaining oil to be left, etc. and made the decision based upon folks' account that it wouldn't be a problem and that more oil is reported to be sucked out using a vac method than seeping via plug. All I can say is that it was a simple process and somehow enjoyable. Again, not sure why although I can say downing a Guinness while watching oil come out and replacing with fresh oil all in 20 mins without lifting the car gave me some satisfaction. I have a change coming up in 1k which will go by pretty quickly and I'll post a video afterwards. I bought the MV7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus for about $70 from Amazon a while back and have been extremely happy with it thus far. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the wife's minivan.

danewilson77
12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Well...its also good for bleeding brakes/clutch, etc.....

pyreguy
12-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm interested

C Withers Media
12-02-2010, 11:47 PM
This is useful.

danewilson77
12-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Yeah...I have heard nothing but good things about Mityvac (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&x=0&ref_=nb_sb_noss&y=0&field-keywords=Mityvac&url=search-alias%3Daps&_encoding=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957).

I actually went with the Motive Power Extractor from ecstuning. Heve yet to use it. I am due for an oil change in about 1k miles...so...I'll be changing it soon and give you guys a review.

NDubSki
12-03-2010, 07:58 AM
DIY would be nice, thinking about getting one

JohnnyGraphic
01-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I've been using the MityVac for quite some time now. VERY easy to use. Takes all of the excuses out of changing your oil. No need to crawl under the car (BONUS!). I too hate doing it and always have this little thought in the back of my mind. A few things though:

*Make sure your oil is warm, not napalm hot for obvious reasons and not cold. I made the mistake of changing the oil when the engine was stone cold (55 degrees ambient temp). It took FOREVER!!! The plus side is that it gave me plenty of time to work on my non-existent biceps pumping away and to clean my engine bay.
*Make sure you keep the giant stopper at the top of the MityVac undone. Or, it will get stuck and it will be a royal pain to get the oil out. (Once you get your MityVac, you'll see what I mean).
*The rubber adapter between the large hose and the smaller one can get a little soft and letting air in and ruining your suckiness. I resorted to using 2 plastic zip ties as clamps to get a better seal. It does the trick for now.
*People talk about cleaning it out. I don't really see the need. The only thing going in it is oil, so don't know why I would need a clean container for putting dirty oil in it.
*I use a little velcro tie to keep the hose upright so it won't leak onto my garage floor.
*I get the wife to bring the MityVac to Kragen to empty it for me. :)

Johnny

Nomar06
01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Never heard of it before. Seems to be a pretty cool thing to have.

JHiggy
01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Johnny's take is a good one. Especially the warming up rec. The Mityvac instructions recommend as well.

Here's what I did. Researched Mityvac and process as much as possible. Found the following DIY to be helpful: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387408&highlight=

Bought Mityvac 7201 instead of 7400 thru Amazon (no local retailers sold it near me): http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=zhpcom-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&asins=B0002SR7TC. If link is dead, it was about $80.

Read about the annoying oil filter housing. Likely not a problem for you fine folks. Was for me. Bought a Lisle socket which did make life easier: http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=zhpcom-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&asins=B000JFL7ZS. About $12 when I bought it.

I followed the DIY per the link above to a "t" except for parking in front of Autozone. Like Johnny said, if you're going to be placing fluid back into the Mityvac to introduce into the auto, good idea to clean. If not, don't worry about cleaning the inside out.

Been very pleased thus far. The one disclaimer I will make is that you shouldn't get too excited about the possibility of using the Mityvac on other autos as it doesn't work on every make/model.

danewilson77
01-26-2011, 02:01 PM
The motive power fluid extractor will work on any car....as an added option.

jvr826
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
I will warn you, warming up the car != using the extractor after driving the car or 30 minutes. I think I killed my original one using it on oil that was too hot... the seal in the pump went out and that part was not available for replacement.

I purchased the model that uses an air compressor to pressurize it, instead of a hand pump... eliminates that seal issue in the future. I've used it once and it worked pretty well.

Best tool ever and nanabooboo to the E60 and newer folks. You lose!! No dipstick tube!!!

danewilson77
01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Best tool ever and nanabooboo to the E60 and newer folks. You lose!! No dipstick tube!!!

:rofl

DESANT
01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Never heard about this method before. How would you change an oil filter?

danewilson77
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Never heard about this method before. How would you change an oil filter?

Open hood....twist off oil filter cap with a 36mm socket, and have your way with it.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Imola%20Bimmer/Myenginebay-1.jpg

DESANT
01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
:) Too many years with Audi :) Thank you Dane.

danewilson77
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
:) Too many years with Audi :) Thank you Dane.

LOL.

<3 u.

ryankokesh
02-20-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm a big proponent of the mityvac- makes oil changes a breeze!

Thanks for the amazon link to that oil filter cap socket. Finally picked up one of those!

llll1l1ll
11-02-2011, 07:57 AM
This thread makes me want a Mityvac or similar device. I'll be moving to an apartment where it's against the rules and regs to work on your car. This device woud allow me to sit in the parking lot with the hood up acting like I'm not really doing anything important and just looking, but in reality I am actually changing my oil. Or I could do it in an undisclosed parking lot. Either way, I think this might come in handy.

Plus it's like 50 bucks.

echo46
11-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Interesting, I may invest in one of these also, although I will probably go with the Motive so I can use it on wifey's Land Rover.

AzkotikBMW
11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I purchased the Mityvac, and I love it. It makes oil changes quick, very clean, and very very easy!

I would recommend to anyone who is thinking about getting one! You won't be disappointed!

danewilson77
11-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I have Motive Power Extractor, as another option.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

AzkotikBMW
11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I have Motive Power Extractor, as another option.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

These are a great option too!

llll1l1ll
11-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I might get the Motive one as it is larger for the same price as the Mityvac MV7400 (or 7201 - whichever is the cheapest).

Washburn
11-05-2011, 09:26 AM
anyone has a link to the correct oil filter wrench thingy?
Also - do I have to pour a qt (or any) oil into the canister/housing after installing the new filter? How important is this step?

danewilson77
11-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Please use the affiliate link (below) if you decide to go with this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CFO7N4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=zhpcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B000CFO7N4

Just put 6.9 qts down the gullet. No need to prime the filter....

Gullet = Crankcase.

Make sure you swap out the o-ring and get it seated properly.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/OIL_FILTER_CAP-1.jpg

Washburn
11-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Danke, Dane!

ranger
11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I have been using the MITIVAC for a couple of years - so nice to change oil and not get under car!

quikryptonite
01-26-2016, 11:43 AM
Any updates on this product from you guys who have been using for years? Would you buy it again? Any maintenance issues? I'm really looking at buying one.

wsmeyer
01-26-2016, 12:34 PM
I have the MityVac:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC?keywords=mityvac&qid=1453840139&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

I really like it. It's made well, easy to use. I would definitley buy it again but would not spring for the model with the fill option again. It sounds useful but the reality is that you would have to take it apart and clean it before using it that way so unless you're having a maintenance meet up where you'll be putting the same fluid in several cars it's not going to be worth the effort.

Since I started using it to change my motor oil I now also suck out the brake reservoir and power steering reservoir at the same time and then top back up with fresh fluid. Obviously not the same as a flush but it's easy and replaces roughly 1/3 of the old fluid.

ELCID86
01-26-2016, 12:36 PM
I have the Motiv (Bav Auto?) extractor. Works great except sometimes loses suction around the spot where the main tube fits. I just use some white nylon tape (for pipes or air fittings).

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

danewilson77
01-26-2016, 06:06 PM
I have the MityVac:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC?keywords=mityvac&qid=1453840139&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

I really like it. It's made well, easy to use. I would definitley buy it again but would not spring for the model with the fill option again. It sounds useful but the reality is that you would have to take it apart and clean it before using it that way so unless you're having a maintenance meet up where you'll be putting the same fluid in several cars it's not going to be worth the effort.

Since I started using it to change my motor oil I now also suck out the brake reservoir and power steering reservoir at the same time and then top back up with fresh fluid. Obviously not the same as a flush but it's easy and replaces roughly 1/3 of the old fluid.
Buy two. One for fill, one for drain.

:caseyshrug

Sent from an S6 Edge

wsmeyer
01-26-2016, 06:18 PM
You'd really have to have one for each type of oil though.

danewilson77
01-26-2016, 07:22 PM
You'd really have to have one for each type of oil though.
Sure....buy like 5 of them.

Sent from an S6 Edge

wsmeyer
01-26-2016, 07:25 PM
With the Mafia Amazon link of course

johnrando
01-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Sure....buy like 5 of them.

Sent from an S6 Edge

:biggrin