PDA

View Full Version : Rear license plate light holder corrosion

anandoc
11-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Folks,

I happened to notice this evening that my passenger side license plate light was out so I popped open the cover and swapped the lights (hoping it was just a bad light) but it seems that the holder is corroded so bad that the light is unable to make proper contact (green stuff all over it). I also checked with a volt-meter and seemed to be getting around 3V-4V. I tried scraping with a flat-head screw driver, hoping to clear out the gunk, but no such luck.

Has anybody else faced this issue? I searched around on google and it seems that people either had to replace the whole assembly (which needs painting etc) or some had luck using a nail file and sand paper etc and cleaned out the contacts. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

slater
11-10-2015, 05:13 AM
i dealt with this on mine. it was really only bad on one side - i ended up removing the entire light/trunk release assembly, and rewiring the entire thing. plus, my passenger side bulb contact points where so bad that i ended up making new ones. i don't have any pics but i'll see if i can grab some.

anandoc
11-10-2015, 09:21 AM
i dealt with this on mine. it was really only bad on one side - i ended up removing the entire light/trunk release assembly, and rewiring the entire thing. plus, my passenger side bulb contact points where so bad that i ended up making new ones. i don't have any pics but i'll see if i can grab some.

Thanks Peter. Any pics/guide that you may have would be very helpful.

In addition to this last evening I discovered that my front driver's side rotor is heating up a lot more than any of the other three rotors...which means I may have a slightly sticky caliper. The car tracks straight and I don't hear any noise. Argh...perfect timing for these issues to crop up :(

ELCID86
11-10-2015, 11:20 AM
I jerry rigged the wiring on my corroded one. Still trying to source a used replacement.
I think there are pics in my project thread.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

slater
11-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks Peter. Any pics/guide that you may have would be very helpful.

In addition to this last evening I discovered that my front driver's side rotor is heating up a lot more than any of the other three rotors...which means I may have a slightly sticky caliper. The car tracks straight and I don't hear any noise. Argh...perfect timing for these issues to crop up :(

yes, actually, and shawn's post below helped me to remember where i put the 'notes': http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?13816-Shawn-s-04-IR-Alc-6MT-Red-Rehab-Project&p=377405#post377405

check your caliper guide pins first - they may just need cleaning and re-lubing. always a good thing to do at least once or twice a year.

I jerry rigged the wiring on my corroded one. Still trying to source a used replacement.
I think there are pics in my project thread.

there are, indeed! lots! thanks shawn, i put my notes in your thread as well. :)

peter

ELCID86
11-10-2015, 11:45 AM
yes, actually, and shawn's post below helped me to remember where i put the 'notes': http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?13816-Shawn-s-04-IR-Alc-6MT-Red-Rehab-Project&p=377405#post377405

check your caliper guide pins first - they may just need cleaning and re-lubing. always a good thing to do at least once or twice a year.

there are, indeed! lots! thanks shawn, i put my notes in your thread as well. :)

peter

Thanks for the reminder!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

anandoc
11-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks Shawn and Peter! You guys rock!!

derbo
11-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Make sure to replace the trim piece gasket as that's where the water leaks from. I had similar issues where my license plate lights were wet and found the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELCID86
11-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Make sure to replace the trim piece gasket as that's where the water leaks from. I had similar issues where my license plate lights were wet and found the source.

The gasket?

derbo
11-11-2015, 01:02 PM
The gasket?

Yea that big ole plastic gasket.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/15fa347e971fa6aba490416940b19aa8.jpg