PDA

View Full Version : Who here has dealt with lug nuts not being tightened down enough?

bshovers
11-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Long story short one of my rims is stripped ever so slightly...is a new wheel the only way to go?

ELCID86
11-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Long story short one of my rims is stripped ever so slightly...is a new wheel the only way to go?

Can you explain "rim is stripped"?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

bshovers
11-21-2015, 01:27 PM
Went to get winter tires mounted on to my style 68s. Shop noticed that one of my rear wheels wasn't torqued down enough and a lug nut bolt got stuck and the other 4 caused stripping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bshovers
11-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Basically the rim was pulling away from the car forcing the lug nut bolts to shave the thread they get tightened into ever so slightly.

ELCID86
11-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Pics?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

danewilson77
11-21-2015, 07:13 PM
Ahhh...so the hub threads are stripped. Swap out the hub?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

az3579
11-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Basically the rim was pulling away from the car forcing the lug nut bolts to shave the thread they get tightened into ever so slightly.

You would have FELT this happening... Did you not notice something wrong??

TheFinanceGuy
11-25-2015, 05:59 AM
You would have FELT this happening... Did you not notice something wrong??

Can confirm, you have felt this happening. I had a loose wheel on my 540. The thing felt crazy around turns not to mention the CLUNK/BANG that I heard... Took me a day to figure out what the hell was wrong.

Full confession, it was I who did not torque down the bolts. :(

fredo
11-25-2015, 06:04 AM
+1. Years ago, we were riding on my uncle's truck and could hear this big noise coming from the front. Nobody had a clue why. At the end, it was because the lug nut bolt(s) were loose.

bshovers
11-26-2015, 08:51 AM
Yup exactly what happened. Lug bolts weren't tighted enough. When I went to get my winter tires mounted to my style 68s at firestone they said they were suprised that my wheel hadn't fallen off. So i think that the stress on one of the bolts caused it to get seized in the thread. Somehow they broke a lug nut bolt. They said that there were shavings inside the rim threads from the stress. Unclear yet whether or not the hub threads are damaged or not. As of right now my wheel is held on by 4 bolts and 1 broken stuck bolt. I did a little research and it looks like I might be able to just EZ OUT the stuck bolt. Will check hub threads to see any damage. I have a week of vacation second week of december so this is going to be taken care of then. Was planning to do M3 tranny mounts and RTAB with limiters at the same time. Hopefully its just removing the stuck/broken bolt and not replacing the hub and or bearing if need be. If thats the case I will do both sides of the car for piece of mind. Sorry to just reply to this thread now but thanks guys for the help! Im thankful for yall lol!