PDA

View Full Version : Possible to swap a Business CD for a 2x height new unit?

mynamenumber
11-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Is it possible to install the double-height (I guess it would be the OEM GPS unit height) new stereo head into my car, which is currently fitted with a Business CD unit? Like, can the useless tray go away, move the climate controls down, then have space for a double-height unit (without any real modification to the interior)?

I'm just looking for a simple way for my iPhone to control audio, nav, and phone. I don't really want a unit with a bunch of other features, just the ability to hard-wire for audio, and ... like, maybe play the radio (?).

Not exactly what I'm looking for, but has anyone installed an Apple CarPlay unit in their ZHP?

Thanks!

BMWCurves
11-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Our cars can take a Double DIN head unit (OEM navigation head unit height), you just need a relocation bracket for the AC control unit if you have the business radio head unit (non-navigation).

KevinC
11-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Our cars can take a Double DIN head unit (OEM navigation head unit height), you just need a relocation bracket for the AC control unit if you have the business radio head unit (non-navigation).

Uh.. not so simple. The stock head nav unit only has a single-DIN chassis behind it. To put a true double-DIN unit in there, the airbox has to be hacked up. Not a task to be trusted to just anyone, or undertaken by the meek.

BMWCurves
11-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Uh.. not so simple. The stock head nav unit only has a single-DIN chassis behind it. To put a true double-DIN unit in there, the airbox has to be hacked up. Not a task to be trusted to just anyone, or undertaken by the meek.

Right you are, I was not specific enough.

mynamenumber
11-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Do any of you have recommendations on a really good-sounding unit, preferably without a CD player, since I'll just be running my phone as the source all the time?

If these aftermarket units are a downgrade in amp / preamp quality, I'm not going to rush to do this change...

ELCID86
11-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Search around a bit here and on e46f. Most ppl go with Avin or Eonon or the one other one I can't think of at the moment. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWCurves
11-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Search around a bit here and on e46f. Most ppl go with Avin or Eonon or the one other one I can't think of at the moment. :-)

Dynavin?

mynamenumber
11-25-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm very curious why the Avin / Eonon / Dynavin offerings are popular in these forums. What advantage do they hold over high-end Kenwood or other popular brand, with a reliable hard-wire to a smart phone? Or the Apple CarPlay items instead?

I'm particularly adverse to owning yet another operating system -- my phone does everything I want, so I'm surprised at how few units offer minimal "built-in" functionality, a USB direct line, and really high-quality audio output.

Still searchin', thanks for the input along the way, everyone!

johnrando
11-26-2015, 06:05 AM
They look OEM ish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
11-26-2015, 09:15 AM
You can add a aux input to the standard unit.

mynamenumber
11-26-2015, 10:40 AM
Yes, actually I should have mentioned that I have the AUX, and it works fine. Added a CD-tray phone mount and also a charger from the cig lighter, so I'm not in a huge rush to swap. Issues are that this setup is a bit ugly and cumbersome, steering wheel buttons don't work for calling or track skip, and audio quality SHOULD be worse over the AUX cable (compared to sending digital signal via USB... right?).

Thanks again, and I do agree that the majority of popular head units look quite terrible. It's strange really, like their designs are stuck in 1993...

az3579
11-26-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm very curious why the Avin / Eonon / Dynavin offerings are popular in these forums.

You pretty much answered your own question with:

Issues are that this setup is a bit ugly and cumbersome, steering wheel buttons don't work for calling or track skip, and audio quality SHOULD be worse over the AUX cable (compared to sending digital signal via USB... right?).

The units you called out look pretty much OE when off, yet have all of the technologies you seek.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ELCID86
11-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Dynavin?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

330i Lover
12-01-2015, 09:25 PM
I purchased the AVIN a few months back and immediately noticed a big improvement in sound quality. For more review check out my post "Replacing head unit and possibly all speakers" for more info. If I didn't get a defective one it would have been a great fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk