PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Iphone and Ipod integration for navigation

Johnd
12-20-2015, 07:44 AM
My 2006 ZHP has the factory navigation and I am looking to connect my Ipod and IPhone. In my X5 I had a dice unit that would allow the text for artist and playlist to display on the gauge cluster as well as the radio. I am wondering if there is anything out there that allows the text and playlists to display on the navigation unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated

ELCID86
12-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Eonon does screen mirroring on iOS.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Johnd
12-20-2015, 08:45 AM
I was wanted to keep my existing system in place and am looking for an integration like Inravee, Dice, etc.. Just wanted to know if any allowed you to select playlists and see the artists.. I had the factory integration in my 325CI and it was horrible. You could only have 5 play list that all needed to be named BMW it was a complete wasted and I hated it

NorCalZman
12-20-2015, 09:06 AM
I believe intravee will allow all of this. I actually have one in my car but I haven't used it in a long time because I use another set up more often: bimmian mount, iPhone, and Bluetooth adapter into the OEM AUX jack.

WOLFN8TR
12-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Yes Intravee II with the Alpine KCA-420i works great with the factory nav and a iPhone/iPod, that's what I'm using.

Here is one for sale.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1091470

Johnd
12-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Wolf - what does the display look like on the navigation. Can you have multiple play lists? Can you control it from your steering wheel

Ssparrow
12-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Eonon does screen mirroring on iOS.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Is this true? I thought it was android only? If so I think I know what I'm getting after the holidays...

KevinC
12-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Intravee II, from everything I've seen/read.

Personally, I'd avoid that Chinese crapola like the plague. YMMV.

ELCID86
12-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Is this true? I thought it was android only? If so I think I know what I'm getting after the holidays...

BP?

---

WOLFN8TR
12-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Wolf - what does the display look like on the navigation. Can you have multiple play lists? Can you control it from your steering wheel

Yes you can control the volume and change songs from the steering wheel. As far as play lists I haven't even tried that.

Intravee II Info Thread

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=346739

Edit: Looks like it does, I just need to create playlists in my iPhone.

cakM3
12-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Hands down, the Intravee II is the best iPod integration I have used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Johnd
12-21-2015, 05:34 AM
Wolf - thanks for the pictures. I will be ordering one of these as my next project....

WOLFN8TR
12-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Welcome. The Alpine unit can be found pretty cheap on eBay. The Intravee is on Toys for the car.com I do believe.

mynamenumber
12-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Why is it not a more popular option on this forum to simply update to a contemporary head unit? There seem to be options in the $120 range that blow away the 10-year-old factory system, especially WRT iPhone integraion & bluetooth. Just wondering, not trying to argue the value of an interface with the older system.

az3579
12-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Why is it not a more popular option on this forum to simply update to a contemporary head unit? There seem to be options in the $120 range that blow away the 10-year-old factory system, especially WRT iPhone integraion & bluetooth. Just wondering, not trying to argue the value of an interface with the older system.

Mainly because they're ugly.

ELCID86
12-24-2015, 07:29 AM
^ This question comes up periodically. I think most here are happy with the sound quality and like the OE look. I did put an aftermarket HU in my son's '02 330Ci and he liked the features. Didn't look too bad, but not quite an OE look... He has a OE Nav HU in his ZHP and seems to be ok with the features, etc. (nav isn't used...). We both just use an Aux jack and I have a BT USB dongle as well. It's really to each his own.

WOLFN8TR
12-24-2015, 09:16 AM

I had the Business CD radio my ZHP. I replaced it with a Eonon D5150 and then the GM5150. Both were approx $400 and were decent for the money but both had minor issues. I have factory Nav in my M3 paired with the Intravee II and love it. No issues at all. Yes it's not as modern looking as far as graphics go but it's very reliable. (Hopefully my Nav didn't just here me say how reliable it is [emoji15]).

derbo
12-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Mainly because they're ugly.

My personal gripes with them:

Windows Versions:
Slow

Android Versions:
Out of date and running on Jelly Bean 4.1 (OS is already at 6.1 almost)
Lack of updates means eventual lack of support for app updates.

Outside of that, they also dont operately as nice as they would be.

However, there was promise of a nice HU but...Parrot canceled it. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrN8IVQB84

ELCID86
12-25-2015, 08:22 PM
My read on his question is why don't more of us go with a single/double DIN aftermarket HU (Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, etc) not the niche E46 replacement units (Avin, Eonon, Dynavin).

---

mynamenumber
12-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Yeah, that's more the nature of the question I was asking, but with the current Eonon sale up, I'm seriously considering this unit as a way to play Spotify, Pandora, Podcasts, and Navigation audio from my iPhone 6:

https://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/D5150Z.html

Which at $250 is right around the price of the aftermarket adapters, and just $50 more than the Pioneer base single-DIN unit with install stuff and other necessary bits.

Seems like the biggest concern is the number of semi-lemon units people have received in the past -- correct?

EDIT: Or is this unit maybe better for use with various music-playback apps within iOS?
https://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/BMW/D5150V.html

Thanks for any input!

ELCID86
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM
Do you have tethering on your account? I think it's needed, but BP or Garry can answer, I'm sure.

mynamenumber
12-28-2015, 08:25 PM
I believe I do not - I think AT&T (in Oregon at least?) disables proper tethering. Can the D5150Z still just play Spotify / Pandora / Podcasts via the USB connection, and place/receive calls via Bluetooth?

Those are the big ones for me, as well as Nav audio interrupting whatever music / podcast is playing. I don't really need the actual screen to display the GPS, unless it's easy to do so.

mynamenumber
12-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Perhaps it's impulsive, but I just went ahead and ordered the D5150Z, with the idea that a 40% price plus free camera is a solid deal that's worth giving a shot. I'll post install / trip report pictures if anyone's interested. Hopefully it covers my basic needs well, and all the bells & whistles don't get in the way :)

ELCID86
12-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Perhaps it's impulsive, but I just went ahead and ordered the D5150Z, with the idea that a 40% price plus free camera is a solid deal that's worth giving a shot. I'll post install / trip report pictures if anyone's interested. Hopefully it covers my basic needs well, and all the bells & whistles don't get in the way :)

Hmm. That is tempting. I wonder if a new model is coming soon.... I don't think they've announced one.

---

Ssparrow
12-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Let me know how you like it! I've been eyeing up this for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If this allows for Bluetooth streaming im definitely sold

ELCID86
12-29-2015, 06:39 PM
I asked Colin (23) about it and he said he's pretty happy with his stock nav HU and his aux Jack.

---

mynamenumber
01-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Well, first impressions:

The EONON D5150Z is basically installed, but I haven't "sealed up" the front yet.

This unit, sadly and somehow, does not actually have a USB in the rear. As I mentioned earlier, this is the primary reason I got the unit, so I'm kinda confused. Also, it seems to have been a part of an earlier model, as seen in this video on my model's page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mdIO8ed_0

So, that's pretty bad so far. I will say that call audio is nice via Bluetooth, and in fact the bluetooth audio streaming sounds a quite a bit better than the iPhone through the AUX jack, so that's a positive.

I'll keep finishing up the install, doing a bit more research, and post some more complete thoughts soon, if anyone's interested.

ecrabb
01-20-2016, 09:44 AM
I'm glad this thread happened. I was going to start one to access the collective knowledge of the ZHP mafia. I'm not one to just start asking questions when the answer is well-established, but I've tried to research this and end up more confused than when I started. There are a dozen solutions, some older, some newer, and most threads have missing pictures, dead links, etc. So, I'm after sort of the best practice at this point.

I have a huge music collection, but it's all ripped to Apple Lossless for high-quality listening at home. To avoid recompressing a second version of the giant library or selectively deploying a portion of it, I just use Spotify. As long as I have a decent signal, I can listen to damn near anything. I'm considering Apple Music for the cost-effective family plan, but so far I still prefer Spotify.

Anyway, I've driven recent rental cars where I could plug my Lightning cable into the USB port in the dash or center console, the phone would charge, and the phone would be connected to the car via the car's D/A converter, which meant no noise.

I already bought the the aux input cable, but a single USB connection would be sweet. I'm not as worried about steering wheel controls or data display as I am just a simple, neat connection.

I don't want a new aftermarket head-unit, mainly for aesthetic reasons. Even the Eonon or Dynavin still have a bit of that "aftermarket" look, no disrespect intended to any who have them. I just want to stay OEM-looking.

Is the Intravee II and Alpine KCA-420i still the way to go?

The ToysInYourCar site appears to be down so I can't research cost or availability at the moment.

I've thought about an Airport Express and AirPlay with the aux input, but then I have to tear the Airport Express apart and figure out the power supply, etc. and I'll want the phone plugged in to charge anyway.

Thanks, guys!!!

SC

ecrabb
01-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Doh. I got the toysinyourcar.com site to load on my phone, and I see you need some sort of adapter to power a newer iPhone with the Lightning connector, which takes me back to just using the aux input. It's dirt cheap and I already have it. I just lose the steering wheel track controls and on-screen display, and I need two cables (power and audio) but I'm not sure I care.

<shrug>

The Lightning connector has been around since 2012... Nobody just makes a plan old USB input like you'd find in a Hyundai or something that I can use with an iPhone or Android device? I was fine with that basic level of functionality/integration. Charge and aux input. Single cable. Worked for me.

SC

cakM3
01-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Is the Intravee II and Alpine KCA-420i still the way to go?

Intravee II features (copied from Ian's thread):

1) Best iPod interface for the car, bar none
2) Programable buttons
3) Automatic clock setting based on GPS
4) Graphical display of the parking distance control sensors on the nav screen, automatically enabled when you put the car in reverse
5) Automatic folding up of side mirrors, if you have power fold mirrors
6) Data logging of your car when you drop it off at the dealership/shop-- including if it was revved out when cold!
7) Updatable firmware with new features added regularly
8) No glitchiness!
9) Support for many, MANY alpine devices-- MP3 CD changers, HD radio, sirius, xm, etc etc.

Go here for more information on the Intravee II :thumbsup

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=346739 (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=346739)

It's an older post and some pictures are missing but you will still have some useful information regarding the Intravee II...

ecrabb
01-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Go here for more information on the Intravee II :thumbsup

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=346739 (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=346739)

It's an older post and some pictures are missing but you will still have some useful information regarding the Intravee II...

Thank you!!! I will dig into that thread this weekend! Appreciate it!

SC

Johnd
01-22-2016, 11:24 AM
My Intravee arrived earlier in the week. I plugged everything in but had trouble operating between playlists, albums, and songs. I spent sometime programming the search options and buttons and it works great. 1 for playlist, 2 for album, 3 for song. I just ordered a serial cable so I can update the intravee firmware before installing. I am debating on mounting the alpine under the front passenger seat so I can run the cable to the glove box. It is either that or buy an ipod and leave it in the trunk with the other equipment. I'd be interested to hear how other have set theirs up

cakM3
01-22-2016, 11:34 AM
I got an 80GB iPod and leave mine in the trunk....

Johnd
01-23-2016, 07:48 AM
I like the way you think. That is the approach I decided to takes as well. I ordered one off of ebay last night. I can't wait to get everything installed. I really missed not having a connection for my Ipod/IPhone. I had the dice unit in my old X5 without NAV and loved it...