PDA

View Full Version : windshield sun shade?

Washburn
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Hot days are coming up - a Tint is in the plans, but right now I want to get one of those foldable sun shades that one can put up behind the front windshield to get some protection from heat. (the type that you can prop up with the sun visors).

Where is the best place to get them cheap for an E46 coupe? I want the thick, good quality kind, not the flimsy one.

Thanks

Marcus-SanDiego
03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I have the BMW ones for both of my cars. They're something like $59 at the dealer. Tischer sells them for $48 (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=751469&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462) -- but you'll pay shipping. Therefore, you're better off getting them at the dealer.

Jon D
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I have the BMW ones for both of my cars. They're something like $59 at the dealer. Tischer sells them for $48 (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=751469&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462) -- but you'll pay shipping. Therefore, you're better off getting them at the dealer.

I too have the BMW one.. well worth the money over the cheaper ones.

spencers
03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Here's the auction from which I purchased mine last summer. $45 shipped and came with a sweet leather case
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2FBMW-UV-Sunshade-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3361e99127QQitemZ22068 6029095QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries%23ht_823wt_722

danewilson77
03-17-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/Sun_Shade/ES195867/

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/38710_x600.jpg

kayger12
03-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Great. More money I have to spend. Thanks for that....

johnrando
03-17-2011, 10:59 AM
I like the universal ones I got from Pep Boys and they fit/work just fine. Don't recall the cost, but you can check them out online I'm sure. John

kayger12
03-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I like the universal ones I got from Pep Boys and they fit/work just fine. Don't recall the cost, but you can check them out online I'm sure. John

Oh no-- if I'm going to buy a sunshade, you can bet your ascot that I'm going to overpay for something with BMW printed on it, lol.

johnrando
03-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Oh no-- if I'm going to buy a sunshade, you can bet your ascot that I'm going to overpay for something with BMW printed on it, lol.

lol. Totally get that. I didn't even want to type in "Pep Boys". lol

billschusteriv
03-17-2011, 11:24 AM
I've had some laying around for years that I'm using. I'm sure they are the random auto parts store no-name brand. They are either too small or too big for the e46. The one that is too small fits my e30 great. The too big one is set aside for the wife's car... but she never uses it... I may check it out before pulling the trigger on a BMW one...

gr330zhp
03-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I have always used an Auto-Zone/Pep Boys whatever version in both my Audi and BMW and have always worked fine. Just never gotten around to buying the BMW one. I will eventually. This works for now though. Fits perfectly

RITmusic2k
03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Most of those are made by Covercraft and the logos are applied post-production. You can order a blank one for a little cheaper. Fitment is perfect and heat rejection is excellent.

Mine is a Covercraft UVS100:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_pj2vLdnw2c0/TX5r9wRrrpI/AAAAAAAABSQ/iDURA0h-F4M/s640/1000000109.JPG

That's the folding-panel version. They also make the UVS200 roll-up style. I like panels better.

danewilson77
03-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Great. More money I have to spend. Thanks for that....

No prob...anytime Keith.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Washburn
03-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I also think Covervraft makes those for BMW.
Right now, a local BMW dealer has a 10% off accessories ... I might try them, and save a few $$ vs the online vendors.

Speaking of $$, Just bought some European Formula Castrol Syntec (AKA German Castrol) 0w-30 for the ZHP :( almost $70 !!! Jeez !

danewilson77
03-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I also think Covervraft makes those for BMW.
Right now, a local BMW dealer has a 10% off accessories ... I might try them, and save a few $$ vs the online vendors.

Speaking of $$, Just bought some European Formula Castrol Syntec (AKA German Castrol) 0w-30 for the ZHP :( almost $70 !!! Jeez !

If you have CCA membership....can you get 20% off?

az3579
03-18-2011, 10:09 AM
If you have CCA membership....can you get 20% off?

Dealers have a different percentage they'd discount for CCA members. Ours is 15%, the highest in our area, for example, while other dealers are only 10%.

Sent from my DROIDX

M0nk3y
03-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Spend the money on tint now and use the money for the sunshade towards the tint. That's my opinion

Washburn
03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
That does sound logical, BUT in NC, tinting of the front windshield is not allowed, and even when I get a tint, I still need some protection for the dash area, so I would still need a sun shade.
However, I still need to research if NC allows clear tint on the front w-shield, which might add some protection...

M0nk3y
03-18-2011, 01:26 PM
That does sound logical, BUT in NC, tinting of the front windshield is not allowed, and even when I get a tint, I still need some protection for the dash area, so I would still need a sun shade.
However, I still need to research if NC allows clear tint on the front w-shield, which might add some protection...

I do know where you're coming from. But here comes my logic.

Cops check tint with meters. That's the only way they can actually prove if it's illegal or not. If a cop says you have illegal tint, and never records it with a meter; you can usually fight it and get yourself out of it (but you're going to have to strip because they will probably actually meter it).

Anyways. The meters are designed to slide over windows. So where is a cop going to slide their meter on your windshield. Simple answer...no where.

I ran my front windshield tinted at 50% (Metered at 38% with our own shop meter) for 2 years and was never even pulled over, or questioned for it. Even when I got pulled over for no front plate, and my front windshield and front 2 windows were illegal. I wasn't questioned.

Also, Tint blocks 99% UVA and UVB Rays...so dash protection isn't needed. Just do regular up-keep with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

-Just a kid trying to work around the law

Washburn
03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Monkey,
Thanks, man.
but I thought NC didn't allow ANY tint on the front windshield, no matter how light or dark - unless i misunderstood the description of the law. So if they see me with ANY tint, it's illegal, right? and tint shops (AFAIK) won't do it here.
Also I should have made it clearer: I don't need the additional dash protection with a shade if it was possible to have a tint on the front windshield - i know tint would give enough protection, I only need it because i thought I won't be allowed to have tint up front - the side window tint doesn't protect the very front of the dash well enough, IMO.

Here's the NC Law:

North Carolina Window Tint Law North Carolina Tint Law Enacted: 2001
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NORTH CAROLINA?
http://www.tintcenter.com/img/clear.gif
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In North Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
http://www.tintcenter.com/img/clear.gif Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in. Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in. Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

M0nk3y
03-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Monkey,
Thanks, man.
but I thought NC didn't allow ANY tint on the front windshield, no matter how light or dark - unless i misunderstood the description of the law. So if they see me with ANY tint, it's illegal, right? and tint shops (AFAIK) won't do it here.
Also I should have made it clearer: I don't need the additional dash protection with a shade if it was possible to have a tint on the front windshield - i know tint would give enough protection, I only need it because i thought I won't be allowed to have tint up front - the side window tint doesn't protect the very front of the dash well enough, IMO.

Here's the NC Law:

No state allows front tint...Doesn't mean you can't get it, lol

Washburn
03-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Well I don't want to spend a extra $$ on it, just to have some bad luck and meet that one cop who wants me to take it off... I will research more into clear front tint (oxymoron, I know) to see if that's possible for some UV protection for the front...

M0nk3y
03-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Well I don't want to spend a extra $$ on it, just to have some bad luck and meet that one cop who wants me to take it off... I will research more into clear front tint (oxymoron, I know) to see if that's possible for some UV protection for the front...

I know SolarGuard has (IIRC) 70% tint that offers protection.

billschusteriv
03-19-2011, 09:53 AM

If you get the whole front window done and its not really noticable - and the sides are pretty dark - they might not say anything.

Some of those tint readers only slide over the windows that roll down - and are useless on front windows IIRC.

M0nk3y
03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
My 50% Windshield:

http://www.incom-racing.com/images/gallery/OvrSolo20100515/images/solo0690.jpg

RITmusic2k
03-21-2011, 10:44 AM
It's oxymoronic to call it "tint", but Solargard makes a visible-light transparent window film that has ceramic particles embedded into it; it does a great job blocking UV and infrared light, but it's 100% VLT, which is perfectly legal.

Washburn
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks - I have been reading about it, and have emailed one of the most reputable tint shops to see if they can do Solar Gard (or similar) to the windshield - they normally have 3M, Formula One, Llumaar, etc.

M0nk3y
03-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks - I have been reading about it, and have emailed one of the most reputable tint shops to see if they can do Solar Gard (or similar) to the windshield - they normally have 3M, Formula One, Llumaar, etc.

Stay away from 3M. Llumar is O.K.

Washburn
03-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah they actually do the 3M only on request, and they cater to sort of high(er) end cars, and normally offer Llumar and Formula One

RITmusic2k
03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
The tint shop I use actually carries the 100% VLT ceramic film exclusively for windshield applications. I opted not to do it when I got my windows tinted, since I already own a Covercraft shade.

Washburn
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
The place i have in mind has a similar Lllumar product and they offered to put a small piece of it on my w-shield to "sample" as some people didn't like the way things looked after they installed it. She said I can keep it for a couple of days and decide, and they'll just take it off at no charge...I may just use a Sun Shade and not worry about it, but didn't decline her offer either. Sometime next week I'm getting the car tinted - Llumar ATC Charcoal line probably, 40% tint, - she advised against the Llumar high perf. one as it has metal - I and she are both worried it's gonna interfere with the radio antenna embedded into the defroster lines in the back window....and the ATC range is pretty much like the High Perf Llumar, only about $25 cheaper in total price...

If I do get it done with ATC cost is going to be $199 total...not bad I think

billschusteriv
06-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Picked up BMW sunshade for the e46 from VOB BMW yesterday. I didn't expect or realize that I got a deal - but I got one. The price they charged me for the sunshade was $48 (same price as what Tischer/BMW of Silver Spring/getbmwparts.com charges). Definately not expected from the BMW dealer in Rockville, MD. :thumbsup

So where do you guys with factory sunshades put them when not in use? Next to your seat, behind your seat, in the trunk?

Do you use the storage bag? Yes, No, or only on the second Tuesday of the week? :biggrin

spencers
06-29-2011, 04:59 AM
Behind my seat, no storage bag (for quick deployment)

billschusteriv
06-29-2011, 05:03 AM
I forgot to mention... I kept my Autozone Car Sun Shade behind the passengers seat. Most of the time it's out of the way. If I'm going on a long trip, I'll put it in the cargo area/trunk and get it out when I get there.

Behind my seat, no storage bag (for quick deployment)

Thanks for the insight, Spence. Guessing you don't have issues with people stepping on the sunshade getting in and out of your coupe either.

kayger12
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
In the trunk. I have a no-clutter in the cabin rule. :)

jjcools
06-29-2011, 10:10 PM
I had my Infiniti windshield tinted and loved it in Vegas. Moving to CA got new CA plates, two tickets in two weeks. I just picked up a BMW shade last week, should be here Friday!!! It is bloody hot in my car after work.