PDA

View Full Version : John Allen Special Chump Car team

jakksfor20
01-14-2016, 07:22 PM
I may have mentioned this before but I'm a member of a Chump Car team based in Atlanta, GA. I joined the team in 2014 and have competed at AMP twice and Barber. They've competed since 2012 at various tracks around the SE and Central regions. This year we are looking to do compete at 7 events hopefully. Road Atlanta next month, Daytona in April, AMP in June, Sebring in September, AMP in Oct, NCM in Nov, and Barber in Dec. I'm the Lead Mechanic, but had no idea what an M20 was until Nov 2013. I've quickly become pretty knowledgeable at them after having had to do quite a bit of the building of 2 cars in a little over a year after the team added on late 2014 and then had our primary wrecked at Sebring in September 2015. The 80 pictured is one that is brand new.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnAllenSpecial/

az3579
01-14-2016, 07:35 PM
That is so awesome. I can only hope to do this at some point!

UdubBadger
01-14-2016, 08:21 PM
I may have mentioned this before but I'm a member of a Chump Car team based in Atlanta, GA. I joined the team in 2014 and have competed at AMP twice and Barber. They've competed since 2012 at various tracks around the SE and Central regions. This year we are looking to do compete at 7 events hopefully. Road Atlanta next month, Daytona in April, AMP in June, Sebring in September, AMP in Oct, NCM in Nov, and Barber in Dec. I'm the Lead Mechanic, but had no idea what an M20 was until Nov 2013. I've quickly become pretty knowledgeable at them after having had to do quite a bit of the building of 2 cars in a little over a year after the team added on late 2014 and then had our primary wrecked at Sebring in September 2015. The 80 pictured is one that is brand new. 236932369423695

Ahhh so you're Halston's better (looking) half... or quarter or whatever.

BMWCurves
01-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Very cool!

jakksfor20
01-15-2016, 03:31 AM
That is so awesome. I can only hope to do this at some point! Find a local team and start by helping the team. Most are always looking for crew, wrench support. ChumpCar /Lemons/WRL/Lucky Dog are full of novice racers, so the on track requirements are not all that tough, however..... Do track days and learn. Keep doing them to learn.

Ahhh so you're Halston's better (looking) half... or quarter or whatever.
He's only better looking because he keeps his hands clean. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az3579
01-15-2016, 03:37 AM
Find a local team and start by helping the team. Most are always looking for crew, wrench support. ChumpCar /Lemons/WRL/Lucky Dog are full of novice racers, so the on track requirements are not all that tough, however..... Do track days and learn. Keep doing them to learn.

I've been going to the track religiously since 2008 and still enjoy every single outing. Looking for that next step up, but buying and maintaining a car for race purposes is a lot of dough. Haven't seen too many local postings from teams; they're usually far away several states over, which I guess isn't too much of an issue. I guess it's just that final push that's needed to start looking...

He's only better looking because he keeps his hands clean. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

jakksfor20
01-15-2016, 04:17 AM
I've been going to the track religiously since 2008 and still enjoy every single outing. Looking for that next step up, but buying and maintaining a car for race purposes is a lot of dough. Haven't seen too many local postings from teams; they're usually far away several states over, which I guess isn't too much of an issue. I guess it's just that final push that's needed to start looking...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are seriously interested, post in here. http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?/forum/27-putting-people-together-the-connection/ There has to be a couple of teams with Lime Rock and Thompson being near you. Hanging out, talking to teams at the races (they race at Thompson July 2nd) is also a good way to figure out if it is something you want to try. If you can afford an extra car payment every month then you can afford to go racing with a team. I can guarantee you that it is the only way I could do it.

jakksfor20
01-17-2016, 07:25 PM
2375423755Test day at TGPR yesterday. Had a few issues related to fueling. Lines were put on wrong and we think we damaged the in-tank pump. It would work fine until there were about 10 gallons left in the tank. Also, my wife used my car for her 3rd track day. I took it out for the last session while another of the team members took the e30 out. We ran comparable times car to car, which has been the case elsewhere.