PDA

View Full Version : USA-Spec PA12 iPod/iPhone adapter

spencers
03-18-2011, 08:29 AM
I ordered a USA-Spec PA12 after reading and watching video of steve.325i (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10517647&postcount=1) and delmarco's (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11283879&postcount=185) reviews on E46Fanatics.

danewilson77
03-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Great writeup for the "i" peeps. Thanks Spencer!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Spence, where did you buy this?

johnrando
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Good writeup. I had similar issues with the DICE but they fixed it at DICE HQ (local to me) (s/w upload and more shielding)... sounds like the USA Spec has the same features, including working well with BT, etc. John

Washburn
03-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Proud owner of USA Spec here as well - rock solid performance, and great build quality. Most of all very good SQ.
Very glad I went with it instead of DICE.

KevinC
08-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Just added USA*Spec to both my ZHP & a couple of weekends later, the Z4M. LOVE it in the E46 - functions exactly as advertised, navigates quickly, displays artist/title/track info, and sounds great.

In my Z4M, because it has a DSP amp, it uses the other model, the PA12-BMW-DSP. The only difference is it adds a digital connection. Gotta say it doesn't sound as good in this car. Something is missing - music sounds more artificial and digital than the analog connection in the ZHP. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

Overall - EXTREMELY pleased with the results in the ZHP, satisfactory in the Z4m.

WOLFN8TR
08-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Proud owner of USA Spec here as well - rock solid performance, and great build quality. Most of all very good SQ.
Very glad I went with it instead of DICE.

Same Here. Very happy with my USA SPEC.

Johal E32
08-15-2012, 05:03 PM
I have a Dice in mine and I think it's garbage.. The dice kit always needs to be reset or it won't work otherwise..

I wish the po had installed the USA pa12 instead..

SureShot434
08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm kind of confused. Do you have to have playlists made to play the music through the unit or can you select the song on your iPod/iPhone and it will play through the unit and you can then change songs with the buttons on the steering wheel instead of picking up the iPhod again?

KevinC
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm kind of confused. Do you have to have playlists made to play the music through the unit or can you select the song on your iPod/iPhone and it will play through the unit and you can then change songs with the buttons on the steering wheel instead of picking up the iPhod again?

Uh.. both of those approaches work. In its default mode, radio preset buttons 1-4 are playlists that you title BMW1, BMW2, etc. Button 5 is everything on the whole iPod - as if it were one giant playlist. Button 6 is "direct" mode - you have full control from the iPod (or iPhone) itself, and your radio display just shows "direct" rather than artist, title, & track# info. In that mode, I think you can still use the forwards/backwards button on the steering wheel to navigate through songs, not 100% sure about that for direct mode.. definitely works in the other modes. It has other nice features like remembering where you left off, in EACH playlist. If I stop at song 26 in Playlist 1, then go to Playlist 2 and go through 10, it remembers where you were in both, not just in the last one you were in. This is not a trivial feature and I'd like the thing a lot less if this didn't work as it does.

edlvrt
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I recently added one to my car. It works great with my iPod, but the supplied connector won't fit my iPhone case. Does anyone know of Apple 30 pin extension cables that have a male end the same size as the factory Apple USB cable?

Thanks

KevinC
08-18-2012, 10:54 AM
This extender should do the trick...

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

Washburn
09-28-2013, 08:40 AM
I have noticed something weird lately with my USASpec: when I select a preset (playlist), the title of the 1st song remains on display even when the next song is already playing...and after a LONG time, the titles begin to change but they're like 5 songs behind
This happens when it automatically goes to next song OR when I skip a song

Now this has never happened on the iphone 4s.(although I haven't tested it after ios7)

This happens with my recently purchased used ipod classic 5th gen (30 GB). The 1st time I tested it, it worked fine.

Any ideas? I really haven't done anything except one time I unplugged and plugged the ipod back in, and it worked fine after that. But I noticed it keeps happening again...perhaps I should unplug and plug the USAspec itself back in ??