PDA

View Full Version : BMW 330 ZHP specific performance software ?

lpcmen2001
03-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone, first off, I am new on this forum and I wish to congratulate everyone of you guys for your awesome cars. I myself love my 2005 - 330cic imola red ZHP. As the summer is coming back, I wanted to add a little PEP in my BMW. I read everything there is to read on the performance software (AA, Shark, Dinan, Customs on a dyno) and I must say that I am a little lost.

Since I am also thinking about purchasing a CAI or simply a more performance Air Intake, I guess my performance software would be better if it could be optimized for it. Also, what CAI or AI do you think I should get ?

From what I read, it would also be a good thing If I could find a ZHP specific software since the ZHP already has a slightly more performance software.

So, do any one of you knows what company sells ZHP specific software ? What are your thought on having the software tuned for the CAI and do you think it is possible ? What about the overall performance upgrade that will give me? Can I expect maybe 8-10 hp ? What about the driving experience ?

Thanks a lot in advance !!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-18-2011, 04:53 PM
People will be here to help you shortly.

However, I wanted to welcome you to the site. Be sure to officially introduce yourself in the new members section (top of the site).

Glad to have you.

Mtnman
03-18-2011, 05:16 PM
We havent seen much increase in HP from just a new CAI. You can read the write up in the review section of the bmw performance intake that many of us have. (i may have actually written that review...cant remember.) Edit: i did write it. link

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1368-BMW-Performance-Intake

But, you will have to speak to someone more knowledgeable if a software matched install would produce better results. I know Dane just did a shark software upgrade, and is very happy with it. Should be getting dyno numbers from him soon. Im sure he will chime in soon....

kayger12
03-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Someone will be along who knows more than I do, but the Shark seems to be one of the more popular software pieces amongst the ZHPs here. Some info on the Shark here.
(http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1376-Shark-Injector-Review)
As for the intake, there is a good thread with info on the BMW Performance Intake here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?801-BMW-Performance-Intake-Install-DIY).

Jon D
03-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Active Autowerks has specific software for the ZHP and they configure based on mods. Intake, headers, exhaust, gas grade etc. Can't speak to the others.

danewilson77
03-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the site bro. As indicated above...I am very happy with the Shark. Due to unforeseen circumstances...I got the Shark software, and the latest BMW software uploaded directly to my dme by Jim Conforti. Boom! Winning!

Anyway....idk if that had more of an effect than just the Shark software. I additionally picked up the AFE intake from ECS. Why? Because I gave Marcus my word I would go this route vice buy the BMW performance intake (6 Hp dyno gain)....plus...my car has always been a lil different.

Its nice to be able to try different products and give you guys good reviews. I was additionally told if I didn't like the AFE, I could exchange it for something else. I would be very happy with a 10 Hp dyno gain with Shark and AFE. Then maybe I'll move on to lighter rims, power pulleys and exhaust.

Again...welcome to the Mafia. Enjoy the site.

Droid Bionic! Boom! Winning!

lpcmen2001
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Thankyou for all your kind response ! I am looking forward to learning more about those performance software. As for the cold air intake, I did a little research and I think I would prefer the AFE intake for the sound it makes. I found some interesting youtube video that compared the stock sound and the AFE intake sound. I did find another video with the BMW performance intake and didn't notice any sound difference. Am I wrong ? do they make the same sound ? As for your Shark, did you get your performance software tuned to take advantage of your CAI ?

Thanks again to all of you, I am glad to be here !\

kayger12
03-18-2011, 05:35 PM
BMW Performance Intake sound difference is there at higher rpms, but not that much louder.

danewilson77
03-18-2011, 05:37 PM
The shark is not a tuneable performance software chip. It just takes your current dme configuration (for reversion if needed) and it uploads the shark software.

Mtnman
03-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Sound: make sure the clip you watched with the afe started out with a zhp exhaust. I have read a lot of places where the bmw performance intake is a lot louder than stock, but it was from non-zhp cars. Our cars are already louder than stock, so that could have a bearing on a sound clip. Hope that makes sense. Note: the afe is probably a little louder than the bmw perf. We Can tell you for sure after june, when we all get together in VA!

lpcmen2001
03-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Good Point, I will make sure it was a ZHP. However, the part of the sound I prefer is actually the air sucking sound (like a jet engine), which I don't think is influenced by our exhaust sound. Am I right to say that the AFE seems to do it a lot more than the performance Intake OEM ?

Marcus-SanDiego
03-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Good Point, I will make sure it was a ZHP. However, the part of the sound I prefer is actually the air sucking sound (like a jet engine), which I don't think is influenced by our exhaust sound. Am I right to say that the AFE seems to do it a lot more than the performance Intake OEM ?

The aFe definitely makes the sucking sound more than the BMW Performance intake. I've had both on my car.

lpcmen2001
03-19-2011, 07:22 AM
I just stumbled across this CAI --> HERE (http://www.spectuning.com/products-detail.aspx?categoryid=165&productid=1487). It's cheaper than the OEM Performance intake and the AFE. Would you trust this part ? Anybody heard of this brand ? Let's hear your opinions !

Marcus-SanDiego
03-19-2011, 07:28 AM
I -- me -- would not mess with that. Notice that they also sell a CAI for other makes. Same 7HP claim on all of them. Same picture of same CAI.

No. Not for me.

danewilson77
03-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Any website that calls a BMW a "330IC)....doesn't deserve your products, and prolly doesn't know what they're selling...

Imho....

pyreguy
03-19-2011, 08:30 AM
I have the Eurosport intake. I am very happy with the sound and looks

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E46/c-83-eurosport-cold-air-intake-kits.aspx

And I have the shark programming as well, though not touched by the man himself :biggrin

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

danewilson77
03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Well...if it hasn't been blessed by the Holy one.....

pyreguy
03-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I know, I know.... :rofl

lpcmen2001
03-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I have the Eurosport intake. I am very happy with the sound and looks

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-E46/c-83-eurosport-cold-air-intake-kits.aspx

And I have the shark programming as well, though not touched by the man himself :biggrin

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Could you maybe post a soundclip of the sound it makes during rev' ? That would be greatly appreciated !

pyreguy
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Maybe. I'm not real good at doing things like taking pictures, videos, or measurements. Like I would say sure and completely intend to get it done, but then keep not doing it.

So it is a possibility, but I'm suffering from motivational issues right now.... Maybe next time I get with Brandon we can knock one out for you.

lpcmen2001
03-20-2011, 03:11 AM
Thanks for all your infos ! I actually went ahead and ordered the AFE Magnum Force Stage 1 - Pro 5R. I will let you know guys how it sounds with a soundclip or a video. @pyreguy, seems like we have a little race going on as who will be the first to do it :P ! haha just kiddin.

Thanks again for all the support and infos. However, I am still looking to demystifie the ZHP specific software or at least to understand what I should do about it.

Oh and I will be posting in the new member forum with some pictures of my baby real soon :)

Rovert
03-20-2011, 08:02 AM
My friend who I've known for a couple years has a ZHP specific tune for my car. I'm supposed to bring it in to my local buddy's shop to get my ECU taken out and read to email it to my tuning friend for modification. Then he'll email the program back and my local shop will reprogram my ECU. He just made a significant gain on a non-ZHP 330, so I am hoping something good can come by with my car as he tried two years ago without large success. But he's tweaked his tune now. :) I want to wait until I can get dyno time to do it as I know it would be beneficial to the community instead of just myself without a dyno difference chart.

lpcmen2001
03-20-2011, 01:45 PM
very interesting ! let me know what comes out of it !! Do anybody know about any retail solution for a zhp specific software?

ZHP-FTW
03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
very interesting ! let me know what comes out of it !! Do anybody know about any retail solution for a zhp specific software?

Well, I wouldn't really say any tuner out there has "ZHP specific" software, but Active Autowerke and Turner both make tunes for the MS43 ECU.
I personally have the AA software and love it. Although, I would advise to do software after you have done all the other mods you want, ie: intake, exhaust, headers, as you will get the most out of your tune this way. The software by itself does not add that much HP, but it does increase performance more in combination with other mods. GL on your choice.

Rovert
03-22-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd have to beg to differ. I've seen with my own eyes what my friend can do but I will still be very cautious on the procedure and what is involved. Here are some differences in stock vehicles with no modifications. As the above post said, doing the mods before the tune would get the most out of your money. The good thing with my friend is I believe he gives a couple free software upgrades to go with future modifications.

These are from the newer E90 engines but I would probably base the success on any other NA BMW engine as these cars have done well on the dyno:
http://oetuning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Jay-325i-CA91-dyno-600.jpg

http://oetuning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Jeb-E90-328i-CA91-no-mods-600.jpg

Even Mercedes NA engines can be made to make great power of which I've experienced with my friend's C63.
http://oetuning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Baseline-CA91-+-KN-Filters-+-Tune-600.jpg

Pretty crazy stuff. When I get around to it I'll get my ECU taken out and read by their special adapters locally at my friend's shop so I can get it modified. But I want to have this done on the dyno so that there is hard proof for you and I.

ZHP-FTW
03-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, I can't say I know a lot about the E90 engines but with the M52/M54 2.8 and 3.0 you won't see much HP increase with software alone. The 2.3 and 2.5 respectively gain a decent amount on just software. Maybe your friend has a really good tune or the E90 responds better than the previous models. Either way, it looks like a nice increase on those graphs.

Rovert
03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
yeah...the last time he tried to tune my engine he got like 6-8HP out of it. We both agreed the M54 engine was really well designed and tuned out of the factory. Let's hope when it's time, I can get this done and it'll work even better.

kaboom
03-30-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd have to beg to differ. I've seen with my own eyes what my friend can do but I will still be very cautious on the procedure and what is involved. Here are some differences in stock vehicles with no modifications. As the above post said, doing the mods before the tune would get the most out of your money. The good thing with my friend is I believe he gives a couple free software upgrades to go with future modifications.

These are from the newer E90 engines but I would probably base the success on any other NA BMW engine as these cars have done well on the dyno:
http://oetuning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Jay-325i-CA91-dyno-600.jpg

http://oetuning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Jeb-E90-328i-CA91-no-mods-600.jpg

Even Mercedes NA engines can be made to make great power of which I've experienced with my friend's C63.
http://oetuning.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Baseline-CA91-+-KN-Filters-+-Tune-600.jpg

Pretty crazy stuff. When I get around to it I'll get my ECU taken out and read by their special adapters locally at my friend's shop so I can get it modified. But I want to have this done on the dyno so that there is hard proof for you and I.

Dyno dynamics, huh? Very high quality dyno. It needs to be operated in "shootout" mode, though, for any sort of semi-consistent results. Very interesting how uniform the increase, is...

Ian