PDA

View Full Version : Offset question...

ecrabb
02-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Hi guys,

We're really liking my wife's E83 X3, but the base wheels are a little frumpy. We don't want to spend a bunch of money, so I've been looking around a little.

I found a set of nice wheels and tires for sale locally. The guy says they're off 2011 535 X-Drive. I've identified them as style 237, 8x18, ET30.

The OE wheels she has on the E83 X3 are 8x17 ET46, but if you got the ///M Sport package, they were 8,5x19 ET46 (F) and 9x19 ET 51 (R).

So...

- Am I correct in assuming that since they're 8-inch wide, I'd be fine on width (compared to the ///M sport 8.5 and 9-inch wheels, there's plenty, right?

- They'd just run 16mm further inside the wheel well, which could cause clearance issues on the caliper?

- If the offset is too shallow, could I just run them with a 15mm spacer to push them back out?

He's only asking $250 for the set, which includes 245/45-18 Bridgestone Potenza run-flats. I know nobody likes run-flats, but damn - for $250 including wheels and tires, it seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks!

SC

danewilson77
02-05-2016, 05:43 PM
It doesn't cause clearance issues on the caliper. Typically it's clearing the shock/strut where the issue/rubbing is.

I think you'd be fine with spacers, but since you have the specs on both wheels, verify at:

www.willtheyfit.com

Sent from an S6 Edge

ecrabb
02-05-2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Dane!

So, I plugged everything in, and I had the offset backwards. The ET30 is 16mm *further away* from the car than the ET46.

It looks like it'll fit just fine to me.

The part I don't get is that it says "ride height gain" and "arch gap loss" are both -6.3mm. It seems like they should both be positive. Taller tire, more ride height, smaller arch gap. Maybe it's just clumsy labeling by the developers. I would have labeled it "right height change" and "arch gap change", so in this case ride height change would be +6.3mm and arch gap would be -6.33.

Either way, this looks like it should fit fine, no?

Thanks!

SC

danewilson77
02-05-2016, 06:29 PM
I think you'll be just fine.

Sent from an S6 Edge

ecrabb
02-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Dane. I think it'll be fine, too. I'm kind of excited about it, and it's a steal, so I'm sure somebody will beat me to it. I texted the guy an hour ago and haven't heard back. <roll eyes>

Here's what we're talking about. Pictured X3 not my wife's, but looks identical. Top is existing, bottom is the 5-series wheel. I think they look really cool.

Cheers,
SC

ecrabb
02-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Of course, they were sold. I knew they were a deal. I should have just bought the damn things and resold them if they didn't fit.

SC