PDA

View Full Version : First Auto-x coming up... Concerned about looseness of side bolsters

ARLOdwebb
02-11-2016, 07:16 AM
Hey ZHP fam,

I'm taking my new-to-me ZHP vert to its first Auto-x in a couple of weeks, so I've been going through a routine sort of checklist just to make sure everything goes smoothly and she performs to the best of her abilities. The biggest issue I have, and something I have noticed since I bought the car, is that the side bolsters are not very tight on me. I'm not a big guy (5'11" 140lbs), so I understand why it's not form fitting... but I could really use some way to tighten them up to keep me in place at higher-g corners. After a lot of googling, I can't seem to find any way to fix this issue without throwing down a lot of money for harnesses/replacement seats. I also don't want to do that because I'd like to keep the OEM look.

Does anyone have any experience doing modifications to tighten the seats up for race days?

slater
02-11-2016, 07:21 AM
well, there's not really anything to be done, safely, aside from a harness or another seat. M3 seats with adjustable side bolsters.

that, or start gaining weight... ;)

GoGators
02-11-2016, 07:35 AM
I regularly compete my zhp. I also find the sides a bit loose, but one thing you can do for under $30 that will help immensely is order a torso belt/strap.

http://www.jegs.com/i/G-FORCE/471/4290BK/10002/-1?parentProductId=758664

it primarily keeps you from using the steering wheel to keep your body back under braking, but it also helps laterally by keeping you deep in the seat. furthermore, I use it over my seatbelt, helping to cinch down the seatbelt.

ARLOdwebb
02-11-2016, 07:45 AM
I regularly compete my zhp. I also find the sides a bit loose, but one thing you can do for under $30 that will help immensely is order a torso belt/strap.

it primarily keeps you from using the steering wheel to keep your body back under braking, but it also helps laterally by keeping you deep in the seat. furthermore, I use it over my seatbelt, helping to cinch down the seatbelt.

This is almost exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe I didn't know it existed until now. Do you have a coupe or vert? I also noticed that my vert won't allow me to lock the seatbelt down. It locks in reaction to g-force, but it doesn't have the feature where you can pull it out all the way and let it ratchet-lock like other cars.

slater
02-11-2016, 08:11 AM

interesting. does it mark up your seat?

GoGators
02-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Peter - I have used the strap for probably 25 events, I don't see any scuffs or damage to the seat back.

ARLOdwebb - even better, sedan. ;-P also in this forum I have a build and event chronicle with video that I attempt to keep up. titled: just another sunroof-less ZHP autocross STX build and events chronicle

05Imola
02-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Another thing you could do is lock your seatbelt in place. I put my seat back a few inches, lock the seatbelt, twist the bottom around a few times to make it shorter where i can barely click it in and then push my seat forward. You'll be held in place nicely.

ARLOdwebb
02-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Another thing you could do is lock your seatbelt in place. I put my seat back a few inches, lock the seatbelt, twist the bottom around a few times to make it shorter where i can barely click it in and then push my seat forward. You'll be held in place nicely.

Yeah, that's how I was planning to do it...

Then I realized that verts seatbelts go into the back of the seat, not into the "B pillar", so moving the seat doesn't tighten the belt.