PDA

View Full Version : 16" for winter?

Dual
02-17-2016, 03:33 AM
Brand-new owner here (my first post) looking to get the narrowest wheels and tires possible for Maine winter driving. The folks who sold me the car mentioned a 16" wheel from a TireRack store brand, but it is NLA. I'm anxious to fit something because I want to drive my new car as much as possible and don't want to subject the 18's to salt. Not at all married to OEM product for this application.

Suggestions/opinions as to the wisdom of a 16" fit? What would be the best offset? I have searched a bit in this forum on this topic, but if anyone has links that lead to other versions of this discussion, my apologies and thanks for the link!

QC_ZHP
02-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Is there a reason for 16"? Most 16" wheels will not fit ZHPs due to brake clearance.

Dual
02-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Is there a reason for 16"? Most 16" wheels will not fit ZHPs due to brake clearance.

I had come to believe that smaller tires handle better in snow. When buying the car the salesman said there was a TireRack 16" wheel to fit. Then he checked and couldn't find it. I spent some time online looking for used product gave up: called TireRack myself. There is a 16" wheel for the ZHP: 16X7.5 Sport Edition A8.

So I have ordered a set with 205/55R-16 Blizzak WS80's. Pricey to buy new, but I'll have them on by Saturday.

ELCID86
02-17-2016, 12:03 PM
What's the offset (ET)? (And welcome)

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Dual
02-17-2016, 12:13 PM
40mm

There is more info at the product page-
http://goo.gl/9BvyzY
They can apparently accept the factory center caps.

I have now spoken with them twice about this, to confirm, and they are very confident these wheels will work.

05Imola
02-17-2016, 12:54 PM
I have 17s with a 205/50 and hate the narrow tires. They're great in the little snow we've had but suck in the dry. Pulling out briskly is impossible with the TC on. It'll stop you in your tracks. Might be the full on snow tires but you get the idea lol.

Karl Lazlo
02-17-2016, 01:28 PM
I have 17s with a 205/50 and hate the narrow tires. They're great in the little snow we've had but suck in the dry. Pulling out briskly is impossible with the TC on. It'll stop you in your tracks. Might be the full on snow tires but you get the idea lol.

Exactly my experience. Great in the snow, but twitchy AF in the dry. Next year thinking of using spacers to widen the track ever so slightly in the rear or go staggered snows 205F/215R.

Dual
02-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Oooh this is scary. I should have been more patient.

slater
02-17-2016, 01:57 PM

LSD has helped significantly for this, for me, this winter. DSC still interferes but much less so - waaaay less drama.

Exactly my experience. Great in the snow, but twitchy AF in the dry. Next year thinking of using spacers to widen the track ever so slightly in the rear or go staggered snows 205F/215R.

i'm running 215/50/17 michelin x-ice3's. a little taller than stock, and narrower, but generally they were OK last year on stock suspension - and i ran them on 17x8 ET38 wheels with 10mm spacers on the rear. no issues. i ran 36psi F/R.

this year, same wheels and tires, but i'm on bilstein PSS and no rear spacers, as i don't think my new alignment settings (-1.25ºF/-0.7ºR camber, vs -0.8ºF/-1.8ºR last winter) will allow for the 10mm spacer. the car is quite a bit twitchier, which i think is a combination of alignment, track width changes, and stiffer spring/shock combo. it was not twitchy at all with the staggered summer tires and wheels (Style 68s with 225/45/17 and 245/40/17) with the new suspension and alignment settings.

thinking of trying the 10mm spacers in the rear to see if that helps, but i'm betting they will rub. been playing with tire pressures already.

NoVAphotog
02-17-2016, 02:51 PM
I haven't had any issues with the 225/45/17 WS80s...they are no summer tire, but it feels fine if a slushy. Off the line, it was definitely squirrelier without the LSD last year, but much better with it this season. Still though, the tires in that size are fine. Don't see why you'd go smaller than that...

Dual
02-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Well they are on: here's what they look like (forgot to have the caps swapped out).

The car drives OK: I will report later about any traction issues I experience.

Dual
02-20-2016, 08:46 PM
The car drives OK
No it doesn't. On hard cornering and other similar circumstances it feels like the tires are going to roll off the wheels: lateral stability is really affected.

This was an expensive mistake.

NoVAphotog: if I replace with your 225/45/17 recommendation- what's the offset, please? Thanks...

slater
02-22-2016, 08:43 AM
No it doesn't. On hard cornering and other similar circumstances it feels like the tires are going to roll off the wheels: lateral stability is really affected.

NoVAphotog: if I replace with your 225/45/17 recommendation- what's the offset, please? Thanks...

what size wheels?

BMWCurves
02-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Oof, sorry to hear. Do you plan to sell this set of wheels/tires and try again?

Also, NoVAphotog uses Style 44 wheels I believe for winter, which are 17x8" ET47 offset.

NoVAphotog
02-22-2016, 11:07 AM

Also, NoVAphotog uses Style 44 wheels I believe for winter, which are 17x8" ET47 offset.

William is right. And I should have followed up my previous comment with my friend's dads experience with almost the same setup on his ZHP. We did a back to back comparison test between the two cars and his felt NOTICEABLY more unstable (the same things you describe) than my setup. The car is "fine" with my setup. Do I miss my super sports and can't wait for it to be warmer? Of course. Am I happy with the Blizzaks and Style 44 for the occasional spirited jaunt? Yes.

slater
02-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Do I miss my super sports and can't wait for it to be warmer? Of course. Am I happy with the Blizzaks and Style 44 for the occasional spirited jaunt? Yes.

haha. same here - my x-ice3's are fine for some 'yobbery' (even more fun, perhaps? ;) ), but they aren't unstable feeling. well - let me rephrase that - they were a bit wonky at lower pressures (32F/38R), with my bilstein PSS suspension - now at 40F/40R they are much better. they definitely felt 'better' with [tired] stock suspension last winter at 36F/36R pressures. that's a tradeoff of stiffer springs and dampers, i suppose.

Dual
02-22-2016, 11:40 AM

Yep: that's all I can do. I will be on 17x7.5, ET40.

NoVAphotog
02-22-2016, 11:42 AM
haha. same here - my x-ice3's are fine for some 'yobbery' (even more fun, perhaps? ;) ), but they aren't unstable feeling. well - let me rephrase that - they were a bit wonky at lower pressures (32F/38R), with my bilstein PSS suspension - now at 40F/40R they are much better. they definitely felt 'better' with [tired] stock suspension last winter at 36F/36R pressures. that's a tradeoff of stiffer springs and dampers, i suppose.

Off topic: noted to increase pressure once new suspension is in lol

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

slater
02-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Yep: that's all I can do. I will be on 17x7.5, ET40.

that will be basically the same fitment as what daniel's wheels are.

i run 17x8 ET38.

Off topic: noted to increase pressure once new suspension is in lol

:cheers

always happy to be the beta tester. :)

NoVAphotog
02-22-2016, 12:29 PM
that will be basically the same fitment as what daniel's wheels are.

:thumbsup

Dual
02-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Wonderful shot.