PDA

View Full Version : Coding GM5...

justinwilson77
03-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Anyone here capable of coding a GM5 module? The one on my ZHP is acting up and my door locks are intermittently working. I still need to be able to use my wipers etc. because I travel a lot and can't really do without a module for a week. They aren't too expensive but I do believe that they need to be programmed to your car. Thanks for the help.

az3579
03-01-2016, 01:55 PM
I think it needs a rebuild, unfortunately.

theothersawyer
03-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Mine is doing this too... :( only occasionally though!

danewilson77
03-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Rebuild on a GM5 is easier than we think. I'll let Justin explain.

Sent from an S6 Edge

justinwilson77
03-02-2016, 07:37 AM
So the GM5 module has 12 different relays on it. The central locking system consists of two double relays. They're decently easy to remove if you know how to use a soldering iron, same with install. I'm looking into buying new relays to install but I'm unsure if the GM5 would need to be recoded after install. Or, would it just be plug and play?

az3579
03-02-2016, 11:33 AM
So the GM5 module has 12 different relays on it. The central locking system consists of two double relays. They're decetly easy to remove if you know how to use a soldering iron, same with install. I'm looking into buying new relays to install but I'm unsure if the GM5 would need to be recoded after install. Or, would it just be plug and play?

I don't believe relays store any information, so I would think that you can replace the relays without requiring any coding after-the-fact. Coding typically gets stored in some kind of ROM.

zYx
03-02-2016, 12:00 PM
No need for coding after relay replacement. Just be careful with soldering iron because circuit board has circuits on both sides. Relays are available on ebay, just get the right type. There are Siemens and Tyco and I'm not sure if they are interchangeable.

justinwilson77
03-03-2016, 06:15 AM
No need for coding after relay replacement. Just be careful with soldering iron because circuit board has circuits on both sides. Relays are available on ebay, just get the right type. There are Siemens and Tyco and I'm not sure if they are interchangeable.

Yea I just ordered the newest version of the relays off ebay. I made sure it was the same exact type of relay..just a newer production date.

justinwilson77
03-07-2016, 06:19 AM
Relay replacment done. It was tedious but not as difficult as I was expecting. Locks work like a charm now. Total cost was $40 vs. $140 to send it off.

BMWCurves
03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Nice job. If you can remember what you did you should post a DIY since a few others have mentioned lock issues.

justinwilson77
03-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Nice job. If you can remember what you did you should post a DIY since a few others have mentioned lock issues.

Yea I kind of embedded on in my maintenance thread. I'll take some more pictures today and make a full DIY.

Johnmadd
03-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Great job Justin! :thumbsup