PDA

View Full Version : Vibrant Performance Exhaust

FL116
03-06-2016, 10:20 AM
Hey Guys,

So I recently decided that I wanted to hear more sound from my car. I already have the GruppeM Intake, so the next mod on the list was an exhaust. Now, I am a college student, so I couldn't break the bank on a full catback exhaust, and I didn't really want an axle-back. So my first thought was to go with a muffler delete, but after lots of thinking, I didn't like the idea of not having a muffler on the car. So I decided to go with a Vibrant Performance Streetpower Muffler. (Part Number 1148).
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=51

I ordered the muffler off Amazon for $115 shipped. It arrived in 3 days from ordering. Packaging was good and the muffler looked great.

Some pictures of the install.

Final Product

Here are some quick videos that I took. I will have better videos and pictures soon.

http://youtu.be/vw2GWt2rTFs

http://youtu.be/3nqIqVO5Swc

Final Review:

The sound is great for the price. I paid less than $250 for everything. The muffler gave the car a very nice deep tone. The sound is much nicer than stock. I have no drone at cruising speeds on the highway and during normal city driving, the sound is great. And at WOT, it screams! Overall, I would reccomend this to anyone who wants a nice sound on their ZHP, but doesn't want to spend the money to go with a full catback.

*****UPDATE*****
I have recently removed the second resonator so I could get a little more "loud". It has done exactly that. The second resonator was replaced with straight pipes. It sounds great and this is the setup that I have been wanting. No drone on the highway at all. Here is a video clip I took of the car with the Vibrant Performance Muffler and the second resonator removed and replaced with straight pipes. This setup costs about $300, but that could price could be a little more/less depending on your local muffler shop.

http://youtu.be/0fWH5pF5gUE

AND LASTLY...... Luca tagged along with me to the muffler shop and then in the spur of the moment, decided to remove the first resonator on his ZHP. So his ZHP is now straight-piped all the way back to the muffler. So what I wanted to do was get a sound comparison video between both our cars. I will make another video like this in a couple of months, that way we can get a clip of the exhausts fully broken in.

The Black ZHP (Luca - bosszhp)
Vibrant Performance Muffler
Both resonators removed

The Red ZHP (Me)
Second Resonator Removed

http://youtu.be/Ev_EyYPqW94

These exhaust really do sound amazing and I reccomend it to everyone looking to get an exhuast, and doesn't want to drop a bunch of $$$$$ on it. For the price you get this at (<$350), it can't be beat. Thanks for reading! :cheers

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Thanks for sharing. Any improvements on the butt dyno scale?!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

FL116
03-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks for sharing. Any improvements on the butt dyno scale?!

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous
Ehh not really. But the muffler is MUCH lighter than the stock muffler.

cakM3
03-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Bryant it looks like money well spent! The exhaust does have a nice deep sound to it. Thanks for sharing your review! :thumbsup

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Did you keep the old exhaust? You might be able to sell it. I've got a small hole developing in mine...

---

FL116
03-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Bryant it looks like money well spent! The exhaust does have a nice deep sound to it. Thanks for sharing your review! :thumbsup

Thanks Charlie!

Did you keep the old exhaust? You might be able to sell it. I've got a small hole developing in mine...

I do have the rest of the exhaust, yes. But I will keep it just in case

BMWCurves
03-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Good review! Video definitely makes it sound quite nice. The black looks great IMO, goes well with the bumper. Great choice for the price!

It's probably minimal, but any weight savings between the two? The Vibrant exhaust looks like it weighs less than the stock one.

ZHP_Brandon
03-06-2016, 02:54 PM

---

Maybe we can work something out... I was considering using my 2nd ZHP Exhaust to route a Quad muffler like InsidePerformance, but I'll keep you in the loop [emoji1417]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160306/0b670de53a28a03e1ac35f7f50f94860.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL116
03-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Good review! Video definitely makes it sound quite nice. The black looks great IMO, goes well with the bumper. Great choice for the price!

It's probably minimal, but any weight savings between the two? The Vibrant exhaust looks like it weighs less than the stock one.

The Vibrant Muffler is definitely a lot lighter than the stock muffler. And yes, I love the black look!

ELCID86
03-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Maybe we can work something out... I was considering using my 2nd ZHP Exhaust to route a Quad muffler like InsidePerformance, but I'll keep you in the loop [emoji1417]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160306/0b670de53a28a03e1ac35f7f50f94860.jpg

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks.

---

RUS_ZHP
03-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Sound is really good. Nice purchase!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

QC_ZHP
03-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Really like the sound and look of it. Nice purchase.

Aeternalis
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Looks and sounds awesome! I think if I went this route I'd get the one with the 4" inlet (p/n 1155) to maintain a consistent volume in the exhaust system.

Is there reason you went with the 2.5" inlet instead?

slater
03-08-2016, 10:08 AM
love the black, and it sounds great - not too boomy or anything. nice!

Avetiso
03-08-2016, 11:00 AM
I like it. Thoroughly surprised.

Aeternalis
03-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Gosh. The more I listen to the sound in the videos the more I love it. I think I might go with this over the TSE3 for now...

johnrando
03-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Great review, thanks. Glad you like it.

FL116
03-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Sound is really good. Nice purchase!

Thanks!

Really like the sound and look of it. Nice purchase.

Yeah, I love the black tips!

Looks and sounds awesome! I think if I went this route I'd get the one with the 4" inlet (p/n 1155) to maintain a consistent volume in the exhaust system.

Is there reason you went with the 2.5" inlet instead?

Honestly, I didn't even think about the inlet size when purchasing. I don't know to much about pressure and everything of the exhaust to know which inlet size to purchase.

love the black, and it sounds great - not too boomy or anything. nice!

Yeah, it sounds perfect! Its exactly what I wanted from an exhaust!

I like it. Thoroughly surprised.

Yeah, my buddy had this Vibrant muffler on his e46, so I knew it was going to give me a nice deep tone.

Gosh. The more I listen to the sound in the videos the more I love it. I think I might go with this over the TSE3 for now...

Do it!!! Now that the muffler is breaking in more, it sounds even better than it does in the video! For the price, you can't go wrong!

Great review, thanks. Glad you like it.

Thanks John! :cheers

Aeternalis
03-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Do you have a way to measure the gap between the two exhaust inlets on the stock muffler? :)

FL116
03-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Do you have a way to measure the gap between the two exhaust inlets on the stock muffler? :)

I can do it when I get home. I couldn't find a Y-pipe that would fit the cars so the exhaust shop fabricated one for me.

Aeternalis
03-09-2016, 02:06 PM
I can do it when I get home. I couldn't find a Y-pipe that would fit the cars so the exhaust shop fabricated one for me.
Awesome, thanks!

I found this piece with a 3" outlet that shouldn't compromise the volume from the dual 2" primaries: http://www.burnsstainless.com/images/technology/Ypipe_std-2-1.aspx
Burns says it is approximately 10.5" long.

Were I to go this route, I'd plan on lopping off the muffler piping right after the second resonator and transitioning immediately to that y-pipe. The only thing that worries me is the little dip in the piping right after that for (I'm assuming) suspension clearance... hmm.

FL116
03-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Awesome, thanks!

I found this piece with a 3" outlet that shouldn't compromise the volume from the dual 2" primaries: http://www.burnsstainless.com/images/technology/Ypipe_std-2-1.aspx
Burns says it is approximately 10.5" long.

Were I to go this route, I'd plan on lopping off the muffler piping right after the second resonator and transitioning immediately to that y-pipe. The only thing that worries me is the little dip in the piping right after that for (I'm assuming) suspension clearance... hmm.

Yeah that makes sense. I think they did my exhaust perfectly. I have no complaints at all. And plus, if the exhaust shop fabricates the y-pipe, it will be so much cheaper.

Aeternalis
03-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Yeah that makes sense. I think they did my exhaust perfectly. I have no complaints at all. And plus, if the exhaust shop fabricates the y-pipe, it will be so much cheaper.
You're right, it looks like your shop did great work. I'll let mine have a go at it too.

Thank you again for sharing. I really love the sound. I think I'll order the muffler tonight! :)

FL116
03-09-2016, 06:25 PM
You're right, it looks like your shop did great work. I'll let mine have a go at it too.

Thank you again for sharing. I really love the sound. I think I'll order the muffler tonight! :)

Great! You won't regret it! I can't wait until you have it installed! :cheers

bosszhp
03-13-2016, 07:01 AM
Can't wait to get mine installed! :headbang

BMWCurves
03-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Can't wait to get mine installed! :headbang

Exciting! Do you have a stock intake still? I'm interested to hear what that exhaust sounds like with a stock intake.

bosszhp
03-13-2016, 08:43 AM
Exciting! Do you have a stock intake still? I'm interested to hear what that exhaust sounds like with a stock intake.

Yeah I couldn't justify $600 for the Gruppe M. I'm taking out the second resonator as well.

FL116
03-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Yeah I couldn't justify $600 for the Gruppe M. I'm taking out the second resonator as well.
Should sound great! Can't wait to hear it in person when it's done! :thumbsup

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Aeternalis
03-13-2016, 05:26 PM
I'm keeping the stock intake and both resonators. I'll try and get a sound clip afterward too. :)

ikeupinya
03-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Very nice review, now I'm sold & will pick one these up!!!

FL116
03-18-2016, 01:58 PM
Very nice review, now I'm sold & will pick one these up!!!

Awesome! It really does have a great sound. Luca got his installed at the same place I did and also did a second resonator delete, and it sounds soooooo good :drool

Aeternalis
03-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Awesome! It really does have a great sound. Luca got his installed at the same place I did and also did a second resonator delete, and it sounds soooooo good :drool
Where's that video!! Lol :)

FL116
03-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Where's that video!! Lol :)

I'm at work and have to upload to Youtube. I will try to get it up by tonight

GotZHP
03-18-2016, 09:16 PM
I really like the sound of this. Another member just posted in the "What did you do to your e46 today" thread with the same muffler, except he cut out and straight piped the second resonator.

I love the black, very different from almost every other exhaust. Only other black exhaust I have seen was by Works for the BRZ/GT86.

On a budget, this is a great choice. Thanks for the vids:thumbup you should post up a few more and do a drive by :guns

FL116
03-19-2016, 04:00 AM
I really like the sound of this. Another member just posted in the "What did you do to your e46 today" thread with the same muffler, except he cut out and straight piped the second resonator.

I love the black, very different from almost every other exhaust. Only other black exhaust I have seen was by Works for the BRZ/GT86.

On a budget, this is a great choice. Thanks for the vids:thumbup you should post up a few more and do a drive by :guns

I will definitely post more videos soon! The guy who you are referring to, Luca (bosszhp). I met up with him after he got that done, and it sounds great! I will be going back ti the exhaust shop to get my resonator cut out lol

GotZHP
03-19-2016, 10:46 AM
I will definitely post more videos soon! The guy who you are referring to, Luca (bosszhp). I met up with him after he got that done, and it sounds great! I will be going back ti the exhaust shop to get my resonator cut out lol

Haha he said that yesterday. I want the TSE 3 but its pretty pricey. Was thinking of getting this muffler and cutting the resonator out since I can use the welder at work and not pay for labor. I just wonder how loud it would be if I added catless headers on top of that. Car would not be smog legal, and too much noise is an immediate Blu Light Special.

I love how the muffle itself is black so it sort of just blends in and is not that noticeable. Same principle as to why I always have gray cars, just sorta blend. That and they hide dirt / grim really well.

How much was shipping roughly?

FL116
03-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Haha he said that yesterday. I want the TSE 3 but its pretty pricey. Was thinking of getting this muffler and cutting the resonator out since I can use the welder at work and not pay for labor. I just wonder how loud it would be if I added catless headers on top of that. Car would not be smog legal, and too much noise is an immediate Blu Light Special.

I love how the muffle itself is black so it sort of just blends in and is not that noticeable. Same principle as to why I always have gray cars, just sorta blend. That and they hide dirt / grim really well.

How much was shipping roughly?

I got the muffler off Amazon for $115 shipped from the seller "Everything-Aftermarket". I love the black! I think its different and adds uniqueness to the car. And the quality of the muffler is amazing. Reason I went this route for exhaust is because I didn't want to drop a ton of cash on a catback, as I am a college student. I knew that Vibrant would give me a good sound and that's exactly what it did. IMHO, I wouldn't spend the money on a catback when this gives you an amazing sound, and for a great price.

If you added headers, and cut the resonator out, it would be loud lol but without headers, it sounds great, and doesn't drone. I plan to cut out the second resonator soon. We don't have to worry about the cats here in Florida lol I would go for it, this sound will not dissappoint. :cheers

FL116
03-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Okay, so as requested, here are the videos I have of Luca's (bosszhp) exhaust setup. His car has the same Vibrant Streetpower muffler (#1148) as mine, but ALSO has the second resonator cut out. Sorry the videos are short, but it still shows you the sound.

***Keep in mind, this is about 30 minutes after he had it installed so it hasn't fully broken in yet***

http://youtu.be/NHjCTD7BLug

http://youtu.be/Zgd7HU2HsJc

bosszhp
03-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Here is a cold start from this morning and a quick tunnel blast!

https://vimeo.com/159618605
https://vimeo.com/159646235

BMWCurves
03-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Damn, sounds really good!

No, William, you don't need to spend more money. Your car sounds great as is!

FL116
03-19-2016, 05:46 PM

SPEND MORE MONEY!! Lol :cheers

bosszhp
03-19-2016, 05:53 PM

The muffler is "only" $100 [emoji6][emoji6]

bosszhp
03-19-2016, 07:03 PM
FYI I'll be selling my stock ZHP muffler and second resonator if anyone is interested.

BMWCurves
03-20-2016, 12:06 AM
The muffler is "only" $100 [emoji6][emoji6]

You are not helping.

FL116
03-20-2016, 05:53 AM
You are not helping.

Lol.

But just so everyone can get a gauge on how much this whole setup costs. The Vibrant Muffler #1148 cost $115 shipped from "Everything-Aftermarket" on Amazon. Original price is $155. The cost of labor just to get the muffler installed (this may vary depending on what shop you go to) was $135. I was quoted $70 for the second resonator delete.

So all in all, you are looking at $320 for a killer exhaust. Much less than what a full catback costs. I have had multiple people on FB tell me they have ordered the Vibrant muffler, and many people on here order it as well.

You cannot go wrong with this setup. :thumbsup

FL116
03-24-2016, 01:01 PM
So here is a video I took today of the exhaust. Sounds even better now after having it on the car for 2 weeks.

http://youtu.be/CBtV-zWoQZc

Aeternalis
03-24-2016, 01:24 PM
So here is a video I took today of the exhaust. Sounds even better now after having it on the car for 2 weeks.

This! I've also noticed mine sounding better with each passing day. Can't wait to get the car back from the shop. :)

bosszhp
03-24-2016, 02:19 PM

Sounds soo good! I've also noticed mine has more crackling/popping after being broken in. We'll have to meet up when I get back to the states. Are you still taking the resonator out?

FL116
03-24-2016, 02:23 PM
Sounds soo good! I've also noticed mine has more crackling/popping after being broken in. We'll have to meet up when I get back to the states. Are you still taking the resonator out?
Yeah, I am going to take the resonator out. Deciding if I want to do straight pipes or put an x-pipe there.

bosszhp
03-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I am going to take the resonator out. Deciding if I want to do straight pipes or put an x-pipe there.

How much different does the X pipe sound vs what I did?

FL116
03-24-2016, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure how it will affect the sound. But I know that the exhaust leaving the muffler will have already merged before getting to the y-pipe.

johnrando
03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Love the sound

GotZHP
03-25-2016, 07:07 AM
Damn I want this exhaust. Maybe take a break from maintenance expenditures to pick one of these up. I have the tools to install myself so it would be really inexpensive.

God that sounds good with the resonator deleted!

FL116
03-25-2016, 11:22 AM
Damn I want this exhaust. Maybe take a break from maintenance expenditures to pick one of these up. I have the tools to install myself so it would be really inexpensive.

God that sounds good with the resonator deleted!

Do it! You won't regret it. I will be chopping the resonator off soon!

Dual
03-26-2016, 12:12 PM
The Vibrant 1149 is 3" in, dual 3" out. Would that make it any better a choice for our cars?

Aeternalis
03-26-2016, 04:05 PM
The Vibrant 1149 is 3" in, dual 3" out. Would that make it any better a choice for our cars?
This is what I chose based on flow volume capabilities. But my muffler shop didn't match up the piping very well so it's still restrictive from the fabricated y-pipe to the muffler inlet. YMMY and your shop may do better work though.

Also: after swapping out my poly mounts for M3-spec rubber, the exhaust note is loud, smooth, and clear in the cabin and outside. It's perfect just the way it is for me and the fiancee, and I'll be leaving my second resonator installed. :)

BMWCurves
03-26-2016, 04:11 PM
This is what I chose based on flow volume capabilities. But my muffler shop didn't match up the piping very well so it's still restrictive from the fabricated y-pipe to the muffler inlet. YMMY and your shop may do better work though.

Also: after swapping out my poly mounts for M3-spec rubber, the exhaust note is loud, smooth, and clear in the cabin and outside. It's perfect just the way it is for me and the fiancee, and I'll be leaving my second resonator installed. :)

Which mounts are you referring to?

Aeternalis
03-26-2016, 04:12 PM
Which mounts are you referring to?
The previous owner had Revshift green (95A) polyurethane motor/trans mounts installed. Not too bad but still extra noise and vibration.

Dual
03-27-2016, 07:49 AM
This is what I chose based on flow volume capabilities. But my muffler shop didn't match up the piping very well so it's still restrictive from the fabricated y-pipe to the muffler inlet. YMMY and your shop may do better work though. Thanks for this!

bosszhp
03-27-2016, 09:22 AM
The previous owner had Revshift green (95A) polyurethane motor/trans mounts installed. Not too bad but still extra noise and vibration.

Did you install them yourself or have a shop do them? Might have to do it as well. What is the noise difference like?

Aeternalis
03-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Did you install them yourself or have a shop do them? Might have to do it as well. What is the noise difference like?
I had my shop do it along with a ton of other stuff. It was simple enough for them in the middle of everything else that they actually didn't bill me any time for it.

The difference between the poly mounts and M3 rubber is night and day. It is MUCH nicer in the cabin now. I haven't detected any extra slop in my shifts or acceleration either. I figure that since BMW decided to use those mounts on their Street "race car" that they should do a good job on this street car. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bosszhp
03-27-2016, 12:37 PM
I had my shop do it along with a ton of other stuff. It was simple enough for them in the middle of everything else that they actually didn't bill me any time for it.

The difference between the poly mounts and M3 rubber is night and day. It is MUCH nicer in the cabin now. I haven't detected any extra slop in my shifts or acceleration either. I figure that since BMW decided to use those mounts on their Street "race car" that they should do a good job on this street car. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nice. My car is going to be at my Indy to replace a bearing in the steering rack and wheel bearings, might have them do these too because I have a ton of cabin noise between all those worn bearings lol

Dual
03-29-2016, 02:20 PM
No one seems worried about backpressure changes or other issues which might crop up from this mod? Not being argumentative, just double-checking before I make a move.

Sockethead
03-29-2016, 03:22 PM
In comparison, the full cat back Corsa system I have in my car uses what they call reflective sound technology... all I know is when I looked through the resonators and the muffler, they are all strait through... no restriction at all. It didn't negatively affect the performance at all... if anything it made my Dinan stage 3 tune work even better...

FL116
03-29-2016, 04:52 PM
No one seems worried about backpressure changes or other issues which might crop up from this mod? Not being argumentative, just double-checking before I make a move.

I'm not worried about it.

Dual
03-30-2016, 04:25 AM
Got an 1148 (2.5") en route to local exhaust shop.

FL116
03-30-2016, 05:18 AM
Got an 1148 (2.5") en route to local exhaust shop.

:thumbsup

FL116
04-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Bump. Update.

I believe the exhaust is fully broken in now and it sounds great! It has gotten much louder since day 1. I have kept the resonators in since the muffler sounds so good as it is. That's just a quick little update.

As for th people who have gotten these mufflers installed, I would love to see more videos of it. :cheers

GotZHP
04-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Hopefully a month out from this exhaust. Most maintenance is complete, enough for now anyways. Just hope nothing breaks in the mean time :eeps

I did not realize, although should have presumed, that there was a 2.5" and 3" version. On my BRZ, I originally went with a 3" cat-back. I found a 3" to be too large for the 2 liter and there was a noticeable drop in low end torque, but some gains up top. I down sized to 2.5" and was much happier with the second exhaust equipped. The 3" inch pipe really was only needed for FI cars in that application.

My thoughts here, with 3L I-6 (vs 2L H-4) is that the 3" would be better, especially if a tune and intake was in mind.

Id like to hear peoples reasoning as to why they chose the size they did. I will most likely remove the resonator as well :)

bosszhp
04-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Bump. Update.

I believe the exhaust is fully broken in now and it sounds great! It has gotten much louder since day 1. I have kept the resonators in since the muffler sounds so good as it is. That's just a quick little update.

As for th people who have gotten these mufflers installed, I would love to see more videos of it. :cheers

Lets meet up and I'll convert you to the resonator delete again ;)

FL116
04-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Lets meet up and I'll convert you to the resonator delete again ;)

Sounds good. I'll text you

BMWCurves
04-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Bump. Update.

Post another vid to compare what fresh install vs. broken in sounds like!

FL116
04-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Post another vid to compare what fresh install vs. broken in sounds like!

I'll try to get an updated video this week :thumbsup Tuesday most likely

Dual
04-11-2016, 02:57 AM
I installed mine (2.5" at mechanic's recommendation) a week ago. I haven't really had time to evaluate it, but I certainly like it.

09mageec
04-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Interested to hear these notes...

Dual
04-11-2016, 08:25 AM
I would be interested to hear those notes too but it's been cold up here! I'm mostly driving around sealed up.

FL116
04-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Sorry for the delay, I am very busy with work right now, and finals week for school is coming up so I need to focus. I will try to get the videos as soon as I can.

bosszhp
04-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Sorry for the delay, I am very busy with work right now, and finals week for school is coming up so I need to focus. I will try to get the videos as soon as I can.

In the meantime, enjoy a quick parking garage clip I snapped last week ;)

https://vimeo.com/163504537

FungShui
04-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Updates? :biggrin

FL116
04-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Sorry guys, I have been so busy with work and finals. I will try to get a clip as soon as I can.

ELCID86
05-01-2016, 04:07 AM
Sorry guys, I have been so busy with work and finals. I will try to get a clip as soon as I can.

Glad your priorities are in place. [emoji1360]

BMWCurves
05-03-2016, 08:48 PM
Glad your priorities are in place. [emoji1360]

Dunno what you're talking about. Internet forum vs. education? Clearly internet forum :)

FL116
05-07-2016, 04:27 AM
Dunno what you're talking about. Internet forum vs. education? Clearly internet forum :)

Lol just finished up finals! Back to the forums :thumbsup

GotZHP
05-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Sooo,

thinking I am going to ask the GF to get me the 3" inlet version for my birthday ;):biggrin which is the 4th of July, so coming up soon

Dual
06-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I have posted a long-delayed recording of the vibrant exhaust as of a month or so after installation.
There are two takes, about a week apart, both made with an iPhone 6s.
The first section has the recorder just in the doorway of my garage on the exhaust side, the second (00:34±) has the car outside the garage and the recorder close to the exhaust.

On my browser I just get a long string of code (the file) when I click on the link below, but I can download it using the usual methods, for playback from a computer or whatever.

http://www.etnier.com/4.20.16.aac <<<Download this file

Dual
06-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Sooo,
thinking I am going to ask the GF to get me the 3" inlet version for my birthday http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.pnghttp://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png which is the 4th of July, so coming up soon
Not sure you'd want the 3" version: the existing system is 2.5" I believe.

UdubBadger
06-05-2016, 05:12 PM
Sounds very similar to the magnaflow muffler I was running on my ZHP a while back, maybe a little deeper tone actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tOfyVdlfw

I'd love to hear the vibrant paired with some headers.

BMWCurves
06-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Not sure you'd want the 3" version: the existing system is 2.5" I believe.

Is the existing system dual pipe 2.5" or a total 2.5"?

Aeternalis
06-06-2016, 03:34 AM
Is the existing system dual pipe 2.5" or a total 2.5"?
AFAIK the exhaust pipes are 2" OD.

A y-merge to 3" maintains the approximately the same amount of volume that the dual 2-inch pipes provides. Merging to a 2.5" single pipe for the muffler might increase backpressure a bit. I don't have any way to prove this though, lol.

GoGators
06-06-2016, 06:38 AM

vibrant 2.5 muffler with M3 tubular headers w/cats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2xhqnQTAtw

BMWCurves
06-06-2016, 07:03 AM
AFAIK the exhaust pipes are 2" OD.

A y-merge to 3" maintains the approximately the same amount of volume that the dual 2-inch pipes provides. Merging to a 2.5" single pipe for the muffler might increase backpressure a bit. I don't have any way to prove this though, lol.

If the stock two pipes are 2" each in diameter, that is ~6.282 inches of cross section (A=pi*r2, each pipe is ~3.142 for a total of ~6.282 inches)

The single 2.5" pipe is ~4.912 inches of cross section
The single 3.0" pipe is ~7.072 inches of cross section

I would assume that the single 2.5" would create some back pressure, but I have no background in fluid dynamics for gas so I wouldn't know.

UdubBadger
06-06-2016, 08:58 AM
vibrant 2.5 muffler with M3 tubular headers w/cats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2xhqnQTAtw

I meant catless headers.

GoingHAM mobile

FL116
06-06-2016, 01:45 PM

Stay tuned...

GotZHP
06-06-2016, 06:43 PM
If the stock two pipes are 2" each in diameter, that is ~6.282 inches of cross section (A=pi*r2, each pipe is ~3.142 for a total of ~6.282 inches)

The single 2.5" pipe is ~4.912 inches of cross section
The single 3.0" pipe is ~7.072 inches of cross section

I would assume that the single 2.5" would create some back pressure, but I have no background in fluid dynamics for gas so I wouldn't know.

I was thinking the 3" would be best. two 2" pipes to a 3" to muffler sounds less constricting than the 2.5"

GotZHP
06-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Stay tuned...

What are you thinking for headers? Also, did you delete your resonator?

I want the vibrant muffler with the res delete, but the minute I throw catless headers into the exhaust, I will be heard from miles away.

bosszhp
06-11-2016, 02:39 PM
What are you thinking for headers? Also, did you delete your resonator?

I want the vibrant muffler with the res delete, but the minute I throw catless headers into the exhaust, I will be heard from miles away.

He'll be deleting his second resonator now after he heard mine yesterday [emoji41] I want to get headers down the line and tbh I don't think it will be unbearably loud. I'd recommend looking into the BimmerBrake headers.

https://vimeo.com/170320813

Prestovie
06-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Seems I'm late to the party, but you've all convinced me! Going to be ordering the 2.5", hopefully the whole idea of the increase in back pressure turns out to be false :fingerscrossed
Gotta love amazon prime

bosszhp
06-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Seems I'm late to the party, but you've all convinced me! Going to be ordering the 2.5", hopefully the whole idea of the increase in back pressure turns out to be false :fingerscrossed
Gotta love amazon prime

Delete your second resonator too! Trust me you won't regret it.

Prestovie
06-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Delete your second resonator too! Trust me you won't regret it.

Haha I'll consider it:) do you have the 2.5 or the 3? Just wondering

bosszhp
06-11-2016, 07:53 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/2f4864694ace1c6d2925b91cce67feac.jpg

Prestovie
06-11-2016, 07:58 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160612/2f4864694ace1c6d2925b91cce67feac.jpg

That settles it, should be arriving on Tuesday! Thanks for the quick help!
Last thing, is that piping coming off the muffler something that has to be made?

bosszhp
06-11-2016, 08:01 PM
That settles it, should be arriving on Tuesday! Thanks for the quick help!
Last thing, is that piping coming off the muffler something that has to be made?

Yep the Y-pipe had to be fabricated. Any muffler shop can do it, just take it to your local muffler man.

FL116
06-12-2016, 06:03 PM

Get the secon resonator taken out as well. After driving Luca's car (bosszhp), I will be getting mine taken out. Sounds soooo good! He let me drive it in the video and I didnt want to stop driving it lol

Aeternalis
06-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Get the secon resonator taken out as well. After driving Luca's car (bosszhp), I will be getting mine taken out. Sounds soooo good! He let me drive it in the video and I didnt want to stop driving it lol

If you're adding catless headers soon, personally I would do that first and see how it sounds with the second resonator. The stock exhaust manifolds suppress the M54's sound a lot.

Check out Gators' sound with catted tubular headers (from an M3), both resonators, and the Vibrant muffler:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17746-M3-S54-exhaust-manifolds-for-ZHP-M54&p=493274#post493274

I bet catless headers would increase the volume compared to this substantially. YMMV though; post up regardless what you decide. :)

holyc0w
06-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Is the vibrant muffler alone louder than stock?

And I'm guessing the resonator delete could balance out the theoretical increase in backpressure from the 2.5" pipe?

bosszhp
06-13-2016, 07:50 PM

And I'm guessing the resonator delete could balance out the theoretical increase in backpressure from the 2.5" pipe?

Yes the muffler alone is a little throatier than stock but I'll let Bryant chime in on that since he still has both his resonators.

FL116
06-14-2016, 08:21 AM

The Vibrant Muffler alone is indeed louder and deeper than the stock tone. It is great, and the Vibrant Muffler with the second resonator is perfect IMHO. It is an affordable way to get an amazing sound, so happy I didn't go with a full catback, I have saved a lot of money lol

If you're adding catless headers soon, personally I would do that first and see how it sounds with the second resonator. The stock exhaust manifolds suppress the M54's sound a lot.

Check out Gators' sound with catted tubular headers (from an M3), both resonators, and the Vibrant muffler:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?17746-M3-S54-exhaust-manifolds-for-ZHP-M54&p=493274#post493274

I bet catless headers would increase the volume compared to this substantially. YMMV though; post up regardless what you decide. :)

Headers are delayed now. Not sure if I am going to go that route, so second res delete will be coming soon.

Sockethead
06-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Headers are delayed now. Not sure if I am going to go that route, so second res delete will be coming soon.

Delayed by choice or availability?

FL116
06-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Delayed by choice or availability?

Choice

FL116
07-14-2016, 05:03 PM
Update:
I will be getting the second resonator taken out tomorrow. Luca will be tagging along on the adventure, so we will be able to get some nice before/after clips!

BMWCurves
07-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Oooh looking forward to that!

bosszhp
07-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Update:
I will be getting the second resonator taken out tomorrow. Luca will be tagging along on the adventure, so we will be able to get some nice before/after clips!

Finally!!!!!!! Now we can drive next to each other with our windows down WOT and enjoy a symphony [emoji1305]

bosszhp
07-15-2016, 09:33 AM
So I went with Bryant this morning to get his second resonator taken out and this happened...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160715/efde82d38c5da712c686e1a8c047fdb5.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160715/70558f25e1bcaa6502f872adc4166794.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160715/fcd138edfd79abdc575cc7782cbc2a43.jpg

I took my second resonator out! So now it is completely straight-piped to the Vibrant Muffler and my god does it sound amazing. Hear for yourself:

https://vimeo.com/174847678
https://vimeo.com/174847849

Bryant has a revving comparison video I'm sure he'll post soon with the 2nd resonator vs both resonator delete. The crackling/popping sound this setup makes is intoxicating, it's similar to having the first resonator deleted just more audible and a little higher pitch, plus the added crackling. And the best part? With the windows up cruising on the highway there is no drone! But give it the beans and she sings. Nice deep tone below 3k and when you get into the higher RPMs it screams.

holyc0w
07-15-2016, 12:42 PM
:like

I'm planning on getting the exhaust and the first resonator done within a year.

Are you heading to the reunion? Would be nice to hear it in person.

BMWCurves
07-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Damn, sounds nice to me.

bosszhp
07-15-2016, 07:23 PM
:like

I'm planning on getting the exhaust and the first resonator done within a year.

Are you heading to the reunion? Would be nice to hear it in person.

Not sure yet if I'll be coming.

FL116
07-15-2016, 07:39 PM
I will be posting videos tomorrow. I have a nice comparison video as well. Stay tuned :cheers

FL116
07-17-2016, 06:00 AM
***I HAVE UPDATED THE ORIGINAL POST WITH NEW VIDEOS***

I have recently removed the second resonator so I could get a little more "loud". It has done exactly that. The second resonator was replaced with straight pipes. It sounds great and this is the setup that I have been wanting. No drone on the highway at all. Here is a video clip I took of the car with the Vibrant Performance Muffler and the second resonator removed and replaced with straight pipes. This setup costs about $300, but that could price could be a little more/less depending on your local muffler shop. I willove make more videos of this setup as well.

http://youtu.be/0fWH5pF5gUE

AND LASTLY...... Luca tagged along with me to the muffler shop and then in the spur of the moment, decided to remove the first resonator on his ZHP. So his ZHP is now straight-piped all the way back to the muffler. So what I wanted to do was get a sound comparison video between both our cars. I will make another video like this in a couple of months, that way we can get a clip of the exhausts fully broken in.

The Black ZHP (Luca - bosszhp)
Both resonators removed

The Red ZHP (Me)
Second Resonator Removed

http://youtu.be/Ev_EyYPqW94

These exhaust really do sound amazing and I reccomend it to everyone looking to get an exhuast, and doesn't want to drop a bunch of $$$$$ on it. For the price you get this at (<$350), it can't be beat. Thanks for reading! :cheers

BMWCurves
07-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks for updating! They both sound really good. I assume the last person revving in that video is Luca's car?

FL116
07-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks for updating! They both sound really good. I assume the last person revving in that video is Luca's car?

Yes, Luca was the last to rev.

Sockethead
07-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Curious as to why you chose the second resonator and not the first...

bosszhp
07-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Curious as to why you chose the second resonator and not the first...

Second resonator is the one I had originally taken out and he liked the sound of mine so I think that's why he did the second one.

Sockethead
07-17-2016, 02:44 PM
Ok and you removed the second one because....?

bosszhp
07-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Ok and you removed the second one because....?

Probably should've included that in my first post lol. I did the second one because it was the smaller/less restrictive of the two and didn't want the car to sound too loud or raspy. But now that I have both out I can say that it is not the case, it is loud, but not stupid loud and I love it.

Sockethead
07-17-2016, 03:20 PM
ok Tnx

ecrabb
08-03-2016, 09:41 AM
I mentioned this in the Facebook group, but I'll go ahead and put it here as a cautionary tale and for final feedback...

I wanted a little more sound. I'd love a Borla or UUC cat-back system, but it makes no sense to me to spend that kind of money on this car. I knew about this thread, but... Everybody's tastes are so different, so even if somebody here liked a sound, that doesn't mean I would. Plus, I was hoping for a more OE look. So, instead of trusting my instinct and mirroring the successful results in this thread, I went to a local BMW guy that several people said I could trust.

The local guy recommended a "cherry bomb" bottle-style glass-pack. Immediately, I expressed serious misgivings, reiterated what I wanted, and told him how I've always hated the sound of "glass packs" on V8 cars and trucks. That flabby blub-blub is just nasty. Nothing makes a car or truck sound more like an old beat up Chevy or Ford like a set of glass packs. But, he said it's totally different on the BMW and assured me I'd be happy with the results. Fine. Flowmaster Y-collector, tube resonator, and a set of chrome tips similar to the originals.

$350 later, I had the car back. It sounded good in the parking lot. Idle was a little nicer, there was a little burble. Cool! It even sounded OK for the first part of the drive home. Then, I went to pass a car on the way up a hill. Oh man, what the hell is that sound? Beyond half-throttle, it sounds terrible. It sounds like blowing air through a paper towel tube. Seriously, "tube" is all I can think of whenever I stand on it. Overall volume isn't bad... It just sounds like total ass. I hate it so much, I've been nursing the car around for the last month to avoid the sound.

So, I have to fix it now. I have a Vibrant 1149 in my Amazon cart. $113.97. 3-inch inlet, and dual 3-inch outlets. Is that what I want?

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1109&products_id=51

So bummed. I'll have enough money in screwing around with this, I could have bought a Rogue Ikon or been about halfway to something even nicer. Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks, guys!!!

SC

Sockethead
08-03-2016, 10:02 AM
We've all been there... Don't beat yourself up too much... regroup and carry on! You'll get it sorted out!

anandoc
08-03-2016, 11:21 AM
So, I have to fix it now. I have a Vibrant 1149 in my Amazon cart. $113.97. 3-inch inlet, and dual 3-inch outlets. Is that what I want?

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1031_1109&products_id=51

1148 is what most people here got and that is the link you posted above.

BMWCurves
08-03-2016, 12:39 PM
I know next to nothing about exhaust and gas dynamics, but the 2.5" inlet is a smaller cross-sectional area than the two 2" exhaust pipes leading into the 2.5" muffler (~19.62 inches2 vs. ~25.12 inches2). I would assume that would create some back pressure, but as I said, don't really know gas dynamics. The 3" (1149) has a cross section of ~28.26 inches2, greater than the two inlet exhaust pipes.

Aeternalis
08-03-2016, 12:41 PM
I purchased the 1149 for the 3" inlet. Provides pretty close to the same volume that two 2" pipes does. While the extra backpressure from the 2.5" inlet version wouldn't be too terrible (I guess), I've just been obsessive about things like this and I like things to "fit" together. Hard to describe, lol.

anandoc
08-03-2016, 01:02 PM
I know next to nothing about exhaust and gas dynamics, but the 2.5" inlet is a smaller cross-sectional area than the two 2" exhaust pipes leading into the 2.5" muffler (~19.62 inches2 vs. ~25.12 inches2). I would assume that would create some back pressure, but as I said, don't really know gas dynamics. The 3" (1149) has a cross section of ~28.26 inches2, greater than the two inlet exhaust pipes.

Sounds good. I was just going by what Bryant and bosszhp went with. Oh and hopefully I will have a 1148 by this weekend as well :)

FL116
08-04-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm with Will, and am no expert with exhaust and gas and back pressure and everything. I just went with the 1148. That being said, I'm not sure what the difference with back pressure would be between the 1148 and the 1149.

MiniD
08-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Man, this thread was a great help for a close friend who chose to go the Vibrant route on his Imola ZHP. He's so happy with his decision. I can't get over how good the muffler/tips look with the ZHP diffuser!

anandoc
08-04-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm with Will, and am no expert with exhaust and gas and back pressure and everything. I just went with the 1148. That being said, I'm not sure what the difference with back pressure would be between the 1148 and the 1149.

Thanks Bryant. Slater helped me find a BNIB Vibrant 1148 locally at a good price, which I will hopefully pick up this weekend. Looking forward to some exhaust 'vroom' :)

FL116
08-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Thanks Bryant. Slater helped me find a BNIB Vibrant 1148 locally at a good price, which I will hopefully pick up this weekend. Looking forward to some exhaust 'vroom' :)

Good! Make sure you take out the second res! And thanks KS to Peter for the find!

FL116
08-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Man, this thread was a great help for a close friend who chose to go the Vibrant route on his Imola ZHP. He's so happy with his decision. I can't get over how good the muffler/tips look with the ZHP diffuser!

That's great! I love that I actually started a "trend" and people are enjoying I very much! Everything about this setup is just so goooooood!

Sockethead
08-04-2016, 04:11 PM
That's great! I love that I actually started a "trend" and people are enjoying I very much! Everything about this setup is just so goooooood!

Excellent! Thanks for the contribution... :thumbsup

BMWCurves
08-04-2016, 07:35 PM

-200 hp, clearly :p

FL116
08-05-2016, 05:58 AM
I'm going to need a lot of stickers lol

bosszhp
08-05-2016, 06:00 AM
-200 hp, clearly :p

I'm going to need a lot of stickers lol

I've got 2 Mafia stickers and a Paul Walker sticker so I'm at at least +100hp over stock [emoji38] That ECS Tuning banner is good for some lost hp Bryant, just get a Mafia sticker now!

rguti153
08-14-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm going to order this soon , as my exhaust went to shit, going straight with just the muffle

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bosszhp
08-14-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm going to order this soon , as my exhaust went to shit, going straight with just the muffle

Your going to love it [emoji1303] I would recommended putting the Y-pipe right at the exit of the muffler, seems to give a little more crackling (if you like that, I do). No idea if thats true or not just my perception.

rguti153
08-15-2016, 04:26 AM
Your going to love it [emoji1303] I would recommended putting the Y-pipe right at the exit of the muffler, seems to give a little more crackling (if you like that, I do). No idea if thats true or not just my perception.
yeah i want that crackling for sure .wonder if that helps or not

bosszhp
08-15-2016, 05:20 PM
This is going to be interesting...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/d8b548e86afb2faa0e7f9c2207ceb75c.jpg
Both resonators removed and headers! She is going to be loud, that's for sure.

Sockethead
08-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Are those bimmerbrakes gen1?

bosszhp
08-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Are those bimmerbrakes gen1?

Nope. Ebay headers, got them brand new from an E46F member.

Sockethead
08-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Make sure the exhaust pipe flanges are oriented correctly for a 325/330, not 323/328

ecrabb
08-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Oh, look what just showed up in my office! Can't wait to get the piece of crap off and get this installed!

SC

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/d3dd4a95b2f3e71eaf2022a50625e1a2.jpg

rguti153
08-16-2016, 10:36 AM
Fuck !!!!

anandoc
08-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Picked up last weekend

http://i.imgur.com/XG6pWJLh.jpg

FL116
08-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Congrats to everyone who got the muffler! And remember, take that resonator out!

ecrabb
08-16-2016, 05:53 PM
I really like the look and feel of this thing!

SC

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/58b4e1a154b185cd8e68269812352392.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160817/615e29c81c37bfca95b4c7588b043d07.jpg

bosszhp
08-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Congrats to everyone who got the muffler! And remember, take that resonator out!

...and the first resonator ...and the catted headers [emoji23]

Sockethead
08-16-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm interested to hear what this will sound like... My headers through the stock ZHP exhaust sound really good but just a tad too quiet

GotZHP
08-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Joining the club :thumbsup

FL116
08-28-2016, 07:24 AM
Woot!! So Luca decided that he is selling his ZHP to get into an M..... shoot the headers will be no more. He offered on sell them to me, but I can't buy them, so it's up to someone else lol

GotZHP
08-28-2016, 11:42 AM
How much for the headers????

bosszhp
08-28-2016, 11:43 AM
How much for the headers????

$150 shipped [emoji1303]

GotZHP
08-28-2016, 11:57 AM
PM incoming!

ecrabb
09-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Thought I'd come back and update the thread. As a couple of you know, I made a mistake and ended up with something I really disliked. A local trusted shop that does work on BMW's steered me toward a "cherry bomb" style resonator. It sounded horrible. It wasn't the overall volume I hated, but the character of the sound. It sounded "pipey" - like when pick up a cardboard tube and imitate a Honda through it. So, I ordered a Vibrant, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Fast forward a couple of weeks. I finally got the car into a local "Master Muffler". I went with them because they were conveniently located, because the owner was cool and actually works on the cars, I saw "keeper" types of cars in the shop, and because the shop was neat and clean. So, I dropped it off yesterday morning and picked it up about three hours later. Wow, what a difference. I can't say how much louder than stock it is because it's been a few months since I had the stock muffler on, but it sounds really great. Very happy.

I also love the look. The black outlets looks great with the ZHP diffuser and Shadowline trim.

Win!

Thanks for the help and heads-up on the Vibrant!!!

Cheers,
SC

ecrabb
09-04-2016, 06:34 PM
Oh, I made a little video, too. The audio in the moving clips are terrible, but you get a good idea of how bad the old setup sounded and how good the Vibrant setup now sounds.

https://youtu.be/89hhX-Cq2ik

In short, I like to mash the fun pedal again.

Cheers,
SC

danewilson77
09-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Win

S7 Edge, out

holyc0w
09-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Ouch...those cherry bombs must have been quite an annoyance

ecrabb
09-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Ouch...those cherry bombs must have been quite an annoyance

Yeah, it was terrible. If I was driving next to a jersey barrier or a building or fences so I could really hear it, it was just nasty. I don't know what the hell that guy was thinking, or how he could possibly know his stuff. It's weird because he's supposedly a BMW guy.

SC

FL116
09-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Nice. Very happy to hear you like it! It definitely is a great option for everyone who wants a great sound and look out of an exhaust

GotZHP
09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Thinking of getting some catless headers this week to go with the Vibrant muffler. 2nd resonator may have to stay in for now... Or just cut it out and save it for later... hmmm

Sockethead
09-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Leave the second resonator in for now. The headers not only make it much louder but also adds a lot of rasp. It's easier and cheaper to cut it out once if you need to than cut it out then put it back in.

FL116
09-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Leave the second resonator in for now. The headers not only make it much louder but also adds a lot of rasp. It's easier and cheaper to cut it out once if you need to than cut it out then put it back in.

+1

anandoc
09-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Installed the Vibrant 1148 today. Sounds pretty sweet!

http://i.imgur.com/KzMuu79h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IIK45JYh.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that my rear diff passenger side seal is leaking again (for the 3rd time).

BMWCurves
09-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Nice! Give us your review once it's been broken in.

P.S. How many members have this exhaust now?

anandoc
09-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Nice! Give us your review once it's been broken in.

P.S. How many members have this exhaust now?

Thanks, will do. I have yet to test it for any 'droning' sounds while cruising on the highway, 'coz that would be annoying. So far so good.

bosszhp
09-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Thanks, will do. I have yet to test it for any 'droning' sounds while cruising on the highway, 'coz that would be annoying. So far so good.

Don't worry you won't have any droning. I have both resonators straight piped to the muffler and I don't even have any highway droning.

Dual
09-11-2016, 06:27 AM
That's interesting- I have a drone problem, esp. from the passenger side, and the only exhaust mod I've done has been swapping to the Vibrant.

FL116
09-11-2016, 08:51 AM
That's weird lol I haven't had any issues with drone at all. I have the second resonator taken out. I have driven Luca's car as well with both resonators taken out, and yes, it's hard to believe, but it really doesn't that much, if any at all.

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 12:22 PM
So hopefully going to get mine installed this up coming week. Found a muffler shop right near work so I can drop it off in the morning and pick it up at the end of the day when its ready.

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 12:24 PM
That's interesting- I have a drone problem, esp. from the passenger side, and the only exhaust mod I've done has been swapping to the Vibrant.

Exhaust leak by chance? Sometimes this can add noise to the cabin. I had a small one on my BRZ which made it sound pretty bad and drove me crazy. It was right under the location of the center console (or lack there of). Just a thought

anandoc
09-11-2016, 03:35 PM

I have had my Vibrant for 2 days now...and around 2200 RPM I have a bit of a unpleasant 'drone' like sound. Didn't have this with the stock exhaust for sure.

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 04:04 PM
I have had my Vibrant for 2 days now...and around 2200 RPM I have a bit of a unpleasant 'drone' like sound. Didn't have this with the stock exhaust for sure.

Did you remove your resonator?

By replacing stock muffler with the Vibrant, there is going to be an increase in sound, unfortunately, to some this can be annoying in cabin.

If you want to here some real drone - Subaru BRZ, Catless headers to 3" unresonated Cat-back with canister style mufflers. I had this setup for a very very short time on my last car. The BRZ's motor has a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The higher this ratio, the louder a car will be. After that exhaust setup every thing to me seems mild lol.

want to know if you removed the resonator because I am going to have my muffler installed this week and I am wondering if I should leave it in. I will be getting catless headers next week as well, but won't get around to installing them until after I smog my vehicle.

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 04:06 PM

Hey Dual,

Do you have the 2.5" inlet or 3" inlet?

Also, are the leaves beginning to change at all? fall is my favorite time to be in Maine

anandoc
09-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Did you remove your resonator?

By replacing stock muffler with the Vibrant, there is going to be an increase in sound, unfortunately, to some this can be annoying in cabin.

If you want to here some real drone - Subaru BRZ, Catless headers to 3" unresonated Cat-back with canister style mufflers. I had this setup for a very very short time on my last car. The BRZ's motor has a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The higher this ratio, the louder a car will be. After that exhaust setup every thing to me seems mild lol.

want to know if you removed the resonator because I am going to have my muffler installed this week and I am wondering if I should leave it in. I will be getting catless headers next week as well, but won't get around to installing them until after I smog my vehicle.

Nope, both my resonators are intact. I thought I would wait to see what the exhaust swap sounds like...and maybe I can remove the resonator later if required. Sounds like I am going to keep my resonators. Oh and I have the 2.5" version (Vibrant 1148).

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Nope, both my resonators are intact. I thought I would wait to see what the exhaust swap sounds like...and maybe I can remove the resonator later if required. Sounds like I am going to keep my resonators. Oh and I have the 2.5" version (Vibrant 1148).

Hmmm, I don't know much about fluid dynamics, but could the smaller inlet maybe cause the droning, verses the 3" inlet?

What I did on the BRZ was add additional sound mating. Its an extra step, yes, but it also cut down road noise dramatically. I used this product:
http://www.protectowrap.com/flashings-building-tape/bt20xl-butyl/

It works great because its only 4" wide and is very flexible. This company makes an audio sound mat, which is made form the same material in hte product I posted. Only difference is that it is twice as thick and cost 2 to 4 times more depending where you go to buy it. I wish I had the photos of my BRZ to show you.

Some strips on the trunk floor and along the trans / drive shaft tunnel would make a big difference

anandoc
09-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Hmmm, I don't know much about fluid dynamics, but could the smaller inlet maybe cause the droning, verses the 3" inlet?

Not sure...the other guys here used the 2.5" version and didn't seem to have any droning. I will give it a few more days for it to fully break-in and for my ears to get used to the extra sound :)

The interesting thing is that if I drive with my windows down, it is not much of a bother since I hear plenty of other road noises and it all blends in. Its when I drive with all windows up that the 'droning' is more apparent.

What I did on the BRZ was add additional sound mating. Its an extra step, yes, but it also cut down road noise dramatically. I used this product:
http://www.protectowrap.com/flashings-building-tape/bt20xl-butyl/

Yeah sound-deadening is on my to-do list as well. When I did the fuel-pump replacement, I noticed that all the sound-deadening under the rear seat had crumbled to bits. Maybe I will do this next spring using the following DIY

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?18663-E46-Coupe-Interior-Swap-and-Sound-Deadening-Guide

GotZHP
09-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Not sure...the other guys here used the 2.5" version and didn't seem to have any droning. I will give it a few more days for it to fully break-in and for my ears to get used to the extra sound :)

The interesting thing is that if I drive with my windows down, it is not much of a bother since I hear plenty of other road noises and it all blends in. Its when I drive with all windows up that the 'droning' is more apparent.

Yeah sound-deadening is on my to-do list as well. When I did the fuel-pump replacement, I noticed that all the sound-deadening under the rear seat had crumbled to bits. Maybe I will do this next spring using the following DIY

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?18663-E46-Coupe-Interior-Swap-and-Sound-Deadening-Guide

Pretty sure that stuff is what makes the car smell like crayons.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71153&page=2

there is the post about my BRZ. I bet you can guess which is my user name lol.

anandoc
09-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Pretty sure that stuff is what makes the car smell like crayons.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71153&page=2

there is the post about my BRZ. I bet you can guess which is my user name lol.

Nice! I am sure some proper (and much needed) sound deadening would help me out as well.

FL116
09-12-2016, 09:49 AM
I find it weird that anyone is experiencing any droning from the Vibrant muffler. Like I said, I have the muffler and the second resonator out and I don't really hear too much droning. Maybe a slight amount, but nothing that would ever bother me.

GotZHP
09-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Nice! I am sure some proper (and much needed) sound deadening would help me out as well.

So worth it. The BRZ came with none so road noise was terrible. You could hear every single little pebble hit the under body that was kicked up by the tires. I did 3 layers in the wheel wells, trunk floor, and rear seats. Two layers under peoples feet. Single layer in the doors. No layers along the trans tunnel and fire wall. This allowed some exhaust note and engine sound in the cabin.

Roll the windows down, and bam, loud exhaust is back

FL116
09-19-2016, 09:12 AM
So this happened... install will be coming within the next few weeks.

GotZHP
09-19-2016, 09:29 AM

Good grab! I was going to get them but the funds came in too late.

GotZHP
09-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Getting a few quotes today to get the muffler installed.

Question, is it better to have the Y-pipe upstream of the muffler, or run individual pipes and Y right at the muffler?

I am removing the second resonator

Sockethead
09-19-2016, 12:13 PM

They'll be much easier to install that the Gen 3 headers

FL116
09-20-2016, 07:53 PM
They'll be much easier to install that the Gen 3 headers

Why do you say that?

GotZHP
09-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Getting a few quotes today to get the muffler installed.

Question, is it better to have the Y-pipe upstream of the muffler, or run individual pipes and Y right at the muffler?

I am removing the second resonator

Anyone?

Getting a quote tomorrow and was wondering where the Y should go? Right at the muffler or up stream where the resonator use to be?

FL116
09-21-2016, 04:25 AM
Anyone?

Getting a quote tomorrow and was wondering where the Y should go? Right at the muffler or up stream where the resonator use to be?

We'll, I have my Y-pipe right after where the second resonator would be. And Luca has his Y-pipe right at the muffler. I would say it's honestly up to you. It seems that Lucas exhaust may crackle a little more, but that could be because he's straight piped up to the muffler. Hopefully he will chime in on this, because I don't exactly remember the sound of his when he had his second resonator deleted. I think the "loudness" is the same wherever you put the y-pipe. Also, maybe not put it in place of the resonator just in case for some odd reason yout want to put it back in.

Sockethead
09-21-2016, 06:08 AM
Why do you say that?

The gen 3 pipes twist all over the place making it really hard to get to all the nuts

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/3ef5946df09f901c95f94510a2b65b74.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/9b2111db4c8e2e7cdaf3c3cc2a192281.jpg

ELCID86
09-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Wow. What a knot!

holyc0w
09-21-2016, 07:11 AM
I saw that first picture in the other thread :eeps

I'm guessing this is for performance reasons and not to be a PITA?

FL116
09-21-2016, 09:25 AM
The gen 3 pipes twist all over the place making it really hard to get to all the nuts

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/3ef5946df09f901c95f94510a2b65b74.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/9b2111db4c8e2e7cdaf3c3cc2a192281.jpg

Good Lord that looks like a lot of fun lol wonder why they were fabricated that way..

Sockethead
09-21-2016, 01:39 PM
It's like that so all the tubes are the same length.... Adds more torque

BMWCurves
09-21-2016, 02:33 PM
I always wonder if there isn't some downside or diminishing return of having sharp angles to maintaining similar pipe length vs. getting it close in length similarity but less aggressive angles of the tubing.

Then again, I have no background in gaseous physics or compressible flow

GotZHP
09-28-2016, 06:37 PM
It's like that so all the tubes are the same length.... Adds more torque

equal length headers improve scavenging = more torque

GotZHP
09-28-2016, 06:38 PM
I always wonder if there isn't some downside or diminishing return of having sharp angles to maintaining similar pipe length vs. getting it close in length similarity but less aggressive angles of the tubing.

Then again, I have no background in gaseous physics or compressible flow

If you really want to see some debate over this, log onto any Subaru forum LOL

FL116
10-02-2016, 05:37 PM
So, the headers have been installed. And.... IT SOUNDS AMAZING! Very loud! But oddly, doesn't drone too much when cruising at highway speeds. I have only driven ito maybe 20 minutes total (it's late at night now), but I must say, I am so happy with the results! My girlfriend even asked why I didn't do this mod earlier lol

bosszhp
10-02-2016, 05:53 PM
So, the headers have been installed. And.... IT SOUNDS AMAZING! Very loud! But oddly, doesn't drone too much when cruising at highway speeds. I have only driven ito maybe 20 minutes total (it's late at night now), but I must say, I am so happy with the results! My girlfriend even asked why I didn't do this mod earlier lol

[emoji1316] Can't wait to hear it in person! So now you can help me install headers on the M when the time comes [emoji28]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FL116
10-02-2016, 06:48 PM
[emoji1316] Can't wait to hear it in person! So now you can help me install headers on the M when the time comes [emoji28]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was a painful install lol

FL116
10-16-2016, 09:53 AM
Some video clips of the exhaust with the ebay headers installed.

http://youtu.be/infIl43wNMQ

http://youtu.be/838Y0RZ2qHE

anandoc
11-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Any of you with the Vibrant exhaust experienced any rattling noise during idle? The temperatures have dipped here to low single digits (38F-42F) in the mornings and when I went to drop by wife off at the subway station, as soon as she opened the door to get out, there was a loud rattling noise coming from the rear end.

Later, when I got to work and put my car to 'P' and got out of the car, the rattle was still there. I put my foot against the exhaust outlet for a quick few seconds and the rattle went away. Foot off the exhaust, and the rattle comes back. Any clues?

BMWCurves
11-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Might be bumping against the heat shield somewhere? Is the muffler welded on or bolted on? Maybe a nut is loose somewhere?

I just remember my father's 540i would get random clanking from the front right wheel when temps were around 32-37F. Turned out to be the dust plate was shifted in just the right way due to temps to make it bump against some other part of the suspension. No amount of tightening would fix it. Just ended up living with it.

anandoc
11-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Might be bumping against the heat shield somewhere? Is the muffler welded on or bolted on? Maybe a nut is loose somewhere?

I just remember my father's 540i would get random clanking from the front right wheel when temps were around 32-37F. Turned out to be the dust plate was shifted in just the right way due to temps to make it bump against some other part of the suspension. No amount of tightening would fix it. Just ended up living with it.

Thanks! It is welded on. I will try to grab a better view of it later on...I too suspected a heat shield rattle.

anandoc
11-13-2016, 03:59 PM
Ok, figured out what was causing the obnoxious rattling sound at idle. Ironically, it seems like a vibration dampener piece had come loose and was resting on the exhaust pipes. Pics:

http://i.imgur.com/g8yjDJth.jpg

Closer look:

http://i.imgur.com/Fs4ndv6h.jpg

I yanked it out and will put it back on when the car is on lifts next time. Not sure how this could just come loose on its own

Dual
06-09-2017, 03:36 AM
Note failure of black finish 14 months after installation-

rguti153
06-09-2017, 04:06 AM
Sucks

BMWCurves
06-09-2017, 05:11 AM

Dang, that's a bummer. Thanks for following up.

FungShui
06-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Can you get it replaced under warranty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dual
06-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Can you get it replaced under warranty?
Hope so. I've been right out straight and have to find the company (as opposed to Amazon).

Dual
06-25-2017, 06:36 AM
An update- I received an email from Vibrant on the 13th saying "I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with our product. Please provide photos and a copy of your invoice and we will get a replacement sent out to you."

I sent three photos, a copy of the invoice and a copy of the invoice from the exhaust installer. I added "If at all possible I would like to move to a stainless-finish product, since the flat black failed so completely and quickly. Please let me know if such a product is an option for me."

No response. I tickled them three days ago- nothing yet.

Not that I've given up on them- please view this simply as an update.

johnrando
06-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dual
07-02-2017, 07:01 AM
They have stopped responding to my emails.

FungShui
07-02-2017, 07:53 AM
That's very disappointing to hear

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rookiez
07-11-2017, 04:58 AM
Have considered just to polish it by yourself to remedy it? Try to shoot them another email!

rguti153
07-11-2017, 05:27 AM
They don't have polish version or just bare metal

Aeternalis
07-11-2017, 06:45 AM
They don't have polish version or just bare metal
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1527_1032_1535_1052&products_id=3553

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1527_1032_1535_1052&products_id=1153

rguti153
07-11-2017, 07:12 AM
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1527_1032_1535_1052&products_id=3553

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1527_1032_1535_1052&products_id=1153
Different design tips , mmmm

Duka
10-18-2022, 11:08 AM
After looking at all of the exhaust options, I have decided to go with this setup but just slightly modified. I spoke to my local exhaust installer and he convinced me to go with the Vibrant 1149 version since the 3" opening going into the muffler will be closer to OEM spec since the factory muffler has a dual 2" pipe going into the muffler. He also stated that I would get a better sound if I altogether remove both resonators and add a single Vibrant resonator in addition to the Vibrant muffler. I like this idea since he will remove the entire exhaust system as a single piece that way it will be easier to bring it back to stock if I need to.

I am looking forward to having this installed next week - my hope is that it ends up being just 10%-20% louder than stock with minimal drone and no rasp.