PDA

View Full Version : Removing Sticky Wheel Weight Residue

M0nk3y
03-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Previous Owner of the car had new tires mounted and balanced prior to my purchase.

The old residue from the left-over removed wheel weights is still there. I've tried Goo Gone but this residue isn't budging.

I don't want to attack it with a razor blade, but it seems I may have to go that route.

Thoughts?

mimalmo
03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I used Goo Gone and a plastic putty knife on my VMR's but ended up making some scuff marks on the barrel. So it worked but not without leaving some marks.

For others that may read this: be certain to rinse thoroughly with water if you use Goo Gone.

gr330zhp
03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I used a razor blade on a set of BBS CH we had.

I was afraid the finish would scratch, but surprisingly it didnt. Be extremely careful if you do it though. It's not guaranteed

Johnmadd
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Tide laundry detergent:dunno
works good on greasy hands.

jvr826
03-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Rubbing alcohol or 3M Adhesive remover is what I use. Saturate with either, let it set for a minute, comes right off. When I get new tires I remove all the weights and residue before hauling wheels to the tire shop (I truck them so they don't have to touch my car). WD40 works too.

My preference is the 3M Adhesive remover. Not only is it great for this purpose, it also does a great job of removing melted on rubber residue from track days.

Maximus57
03-21-2011, 07:59 AM
If you are going to scrape it, use a plastic razor blade. Some auto stores carry them.