PDA

View Full Version : Removing alignment pins DIY

AggieBlake
03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
I didn't see a DIY on this. It's easy, but I saw a variety of opinions on how to do it, including drilling out the pins. No need to mess with that. Here's the quickest way: a punch or awl held with pliers in one hand, a hammer in the other. Take it easy at first as you create a divot that will hold the punch or awl when you take bigger swings. Once you've got the divot, 3-4 good swings and the pin will pop through. This will allow you to access the full range of camber adjustment that is allowed by the slotted holes in your shock-tower.

ELCID86
03-14-2016, 05:25 PM
So is that a DIY alignment too??

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Vas
03-14-2016, 06:04 PM
You can get about -1 degree with the pins knocked out.

I had them knocked out before but left them this time around when I replaced the upper mounts. Figured it's not that much increase in negative camber.

AggieBlake
03-14-2016, 06:59 PM
So is that a DIY alignment too??

No. I've tried do my own string alignment before on a miata. It was a pain, and that was a simpler car. I will, however, try to increase the camber once I get some new strut tower nuts (need longer collared ones to fit M3 strut bar). I'd like to get the camber closer to the target myself. Then the shop can just fine tune my settings.

AggieBlake
03-14-2016, 07:01 PM
You can get about -1 degree with the pins knocked out.

That's great to hear! If I can get an additional degree negative, that will easily hit my target.

Vas
03-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I meant total negative camber with the pins out is -1 degree

AggieBlake
03-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I meant total negative camber with the pins out is -1 degree

I see. That doesn't seem to be the case on my car, as best I can tell. I measured camber at almost -1 passenger side and a bit more than -1 driver's side today, and that was with the bolts centered in the slots (I had not yet popped out the alignment pins). Seems like they must have set camber for -1 from the factory. With the pin out, I'm sure I can get more negative... just not sure how much more. I'll let you know when I've tried it out.

AggieBlake
03-16-2016, 05:09 PM
FYI: I can confirm that popping the pins got me an extra -0.5 degrees of camber in the front. With the pin in, the studs were centered in the slots. Pin out, I moved them all the way towards the engine. That got me to -1.5 degrees.

Vas
03-16-2016, 06:04 PM
Maybe I should knock mine out as well. Hmm decisions

ELCID86
03-17-2016, 03:11 AM
The tech had to remove mine iot get the settings closer after I added the mushroom protectors (RRK).

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

stephenkirsh
08-29-2017, 07:08 PM
Derek sent me this way. Hadn't seen this thread before, so I'm giving it a bump.